It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

That is truly disgusting... They should be taken to court for discrimination.

Yeah, no kidding.

What kind of logic are they using to come up with a conclusion that they are going to get a better employee just because that employee is currently working for someone else, especially in this economy when so many great workers have been laid off? I wouldn't want to work for a company like that anyway, frankly.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mbayacht

So you'd rather have someone who is already employed and most probably disloyal and/or disgruntled than someone who took time of to say simply be with family or further their education or simply take their time in finding the right match for both them and their employer? Why you perceive gaps as all negative is beyond my logical powers.

Can you give us some more detailed assumptions and maybe some examples?

[edit on 6-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I figured I would get flamed for my reply.

To0 many people out there with too strong a sense of entitlement that they should get the job even if they've been sitting on their behinds for two years collecting unemployment (emailing out resumes from your computer does NOT constitute a job search IMHO - you need to put your feet on the street and get yourself out there), when they could have been offering their skills to organizations that can definitely use them.

If someone had spent an extended time collecting unemployment and not doing anything else to use their skills to help others with their time, that is the sort of person I would pass over as a recruiter when looking for applicants.

Even stay at home moms can volunteer their time from time to time within their chosen fields. There's plenty of volunteer work that can be done from the comfort of your own home while watching your kids.

As far as those just coming out of school - I wouldn't consider these "unemployed" either. I would consider these as "just entering the workforce" and if their education was equivalent to the experience I was looking for and they demonstrated they could do the job have no problem in hiring someone in an entry level position.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by babybunnies]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
wow whats wrong with you people? such a sense of entitlement.
ive been employed steadily since i turned 16 and have had to work some terrible jobs. and i mean terrible. demoralizing, back breaking, sweating all day, really crappy jobs. but you know what? its better than being an unemplyed lazy leech on society.
i for one totalyl support this. everyone ive ever met that was unemployed for weeks/months/years at a time wasnt worth hiring anyway. if i had a company i would want people there who understood the value of putting in a 12-15 hour work day ona regular basis and got things done.
you all need to sack up.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

that's a mighty big list of assumptions on your part (or the employer's or employer's rep).

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Call me old fashioned, but I have always considered the strength of a potential employee's qualifications and their overall character, to be more important than how long they been unemployed when making a hiring decision; and I have made a lot of decisions in that area that have worked out quite well.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
it's total bull, but easy to work around.

in the past I've usually adjusted my resume so there'd be no gaps, and the assumption was that I either was still employed, or only recently laid off,
it helps that most jobs I left I was on good terms with and working with people who pretty much thought the way I do, or they're places that closed down and not easy to contact anyone anyway.

otherwise, I'd agree, a faux company would also work, the point is to give those people the image they want to see, and a majority of them won't probe that deeply, as it's expensive, and time consuming .

and if I had gone into any interview and they expected ME to pay THEM, I'd just get up and walk out laughing (and have a couple times in the past)

work to take control while letting them beleive they have it all

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Gren]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

actually these days when you can be searching job and hiring sites all day long and sending out your resume, it is a job hunt, besides, I've seen plenty of ads that specifically say to email or fax your resume, no calls or walkins, much more than the ones that will only take walk ins

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gren

no calls or walkins, much more than the ones that will only take walk ins

That is code for they are recuiters or worse identity theives. Pass those ads by and find the company that is actually hiring.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
To0 many people out there with too strong a sense of entitlement that they should get the job even if they've been sitting on their behinds for two years collecting unemployment (emailing out resumes from your computer does NOT constitute a job search IMHO - you need to put your feet on the street and get yourself out there), when they could have been offering their skills to organizations that can definitely use them.

Even fast food places now require you to fill out applications online. It's all a part of going "green." They even tell you not to call. And a lot of them run your social security numbers and your application won't even be looked at if you have poor credit or something. So those who lost their jobs and got foreclosed, repossessed, etc have that going against them as well.

Almost all of the places I have applied to in the past two years required an online application. And with the application you have to fill out a questionnaire. And some of the questions are trick questions. Like one question gives the scenario of what would you do if you were scheduled to get off but the person scheduled to come in did not show up. Well, at Wal-mart if you stay past your shift you can get fired for it. So the answer depends on the company policies. I know when my mom worked at this gas station, if the person did not show then you were stuck there to cover the entire shift, so she sometimes got stuck working 16+ hours straight by herself. Unless you are already employed there, it's hard to answer the questions since you typically would not know their policy.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
As stated before most people even here on ATS are not empathetic until they have walked a couple miles in your shoes.

You can only fill out applications, try to get someone to talk with you (good luck) and keep your chin up. You are right - you cannot force someone to hire you.

Out of curiousity how old are you?

Jobs are getting really scarce, especially ones that pay a half way decent salary.

The people out there poo pooing you just haven't been there and done that. They have no comprehension how tight the job market is now. Whats more, most don't care until they end up unemployed.

Also, besides education, age and looks do enter into it.

If and when you do get that magical all important interview, as you walk up to the HR Person's desk, and they are looking at you within about two minutes just by looking at you they have formed opinions about you and if you look like you will fit in with the company.

For those people who want to say I'm wrong on this (very taboo) subject, case in point: In South America many people get plastic surgery to look "better" in order to get employed.

The people that actually do the hiring are just that, people and they come with prejudices and emotional baggage just like everyone else.

I am 34.

I am sorry to hear about your job. The whole globalization is really hurting a lot of people.

Yeah, a lot of people have their looks held against them. Ugly people need to be able to make a living too. Not everyone is blessed with beauty.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

If someone had spent an extended time collecting unemployment and not doing anything else to use their skills to help others with their time, that is the sort of person I would pass over as a recruiter when looking for applicants.

You are extremely out of touch with today's world, the majority (and a large majority at that) of companies today will not allow you to walk in off the street and submit your resume, or fill out an application. They're reply is always, go to (the name of the company) .com, so yes in today's world emailing your resume and filling out applications online is a job search, regardless what your opinoin is.

While your criteria for job applicants may be that they are civic minded and willing and able to volunteer their services to help others, I doubt that the companies that you recruit for have the same criteria, let alone know that it is part of yours. Simply because someone does not volunteer their time does not mean that they wouldn't be a good hard working employee. Lack of voluteer services on the resume of an unemployed person being the reason that you would pass them over is extremely foolish and arrogant. I hope the companies that you recruit for didn't lose out on too much due to your arrogance.

I don't think many of us feel entitled to anything, let alone a job. We just want a chance to prove ourselves, just for someone to look at our resumes, give us at least an interview and see what we have to offer instead of filing our applications based on being unemployed.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

Actually the majority of large companies are doing all their "screening" online.It is done due to sheer numbers of applicants for each job posted.

I have a friend who was seeking employment as a systems analyst, and none of the companies he attempted to contact would let him get to first base without first emailing a resume, which they would then review.

The walkin approach however does still work for most of the service industries like hotels, motels, and restaurants who still have paper applications, and usually in both english and spanish, for mom and pop type operations, and in small towns.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
reply to post by C11H17N2NaO2S

Offering that useless piece of paper round like its a badge of honor or something.

It may be a useless piece of paper to you, but it very well may be a badge of honor to her. There are many people that are the first in their family to attend college, and to them an associates degree is something to be very proud of. Who are you to say she shouldn't be proud of her accomplishments, no matter how insignificant they may be to you. An associates degree should at least show an employer that the person put forth an effort to further their education. It's sad that you feel the need to badmouth another person and paint them and their accomplishments as being insignificant to make yourself feel more important.

Actually I am not really bad mouthing these people. They came on bad mouthing the process that companies use. All complaining that they cant get a job. So I honestly told them why. I told them why they are unemployable in todays market and told them they have no leg to stand on when it comes to employment.

Just because you have been rejected for employment does not mean the system is wrong. Taking on an employee who is simply not "up to it" can have a very detrimental knock on effect on the companies profit and staff. Having one person in the ranks who does not belong can be time conduming and costly in reputation. This can lead to lower margins and loss of employment for others when the company has to downsize or close its doors because of poor employees.

So yes, when you come on here and state that you hold an associated degree or are proficient in filing or can actually read then you need to be told the real world has many people like you and you are not special.

You say for some of these people they are the first ones in their family to attend college. I, as an employer do NOT care because that means nothing to my profit margin. It is absolutely pathetic when mediocre people at best start complaining when they get rejected by companies. Instead of picking themselves up and anaylizing what they can do they cry.

Do yo think the major companies would still be around today if they started employing these idiots. No they would not be. Everyone has a sob story - i came from a tough background, I have learning difficulties, i have poor health, my family just left me etc etc etc. All of this is not the problem of a prospective employer. They only care about how valuable you are to the company and whether you are financially viable.

So when you clearly dont make the grade, well dont even come close you have ZERO right to moan to people. They should be moan to themselves in the mirror berating themselves for failing time and time again.

If you read my points in previous post it was mainly (but including other joblesss) how someone could remain unemployed for 15 years. That is pathetic and absolutely no one will or should touch you with a barge pole.
However I did offer some valuable advice but still it got criticized by a moron stating offering your services for nothing is madness. Thats why he is an average person earning turd money and will eventually retire with nothing but his kids humiliation to dwell in! Useless.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

You are extremely out of touch with today's world, the majority (and a large majority at that) of companies today will not allow you to walk in off the street and submit your resume, or fill out an application. They're reply is always, go to (the name of the company) .com, so yes in today's world emailing your resume and filling out applications online is a job search, regardless what your opinoin is.

While your criteria for job applicants may be that they are civic minded and willing and able to volunteer their services to help others, I doubt that the companies that you recruit for have the same criteria, let alone know that it is part of yours. Simply because someone does not volunteer their time does not mean that they wouldn't be a good hard working employee. Lack of voluteer services on the resume of an unemployed person being the reason that you would pass them over is extremely foolish and arrogant. I hope the companies that you recruit for didn't lose out on too much due to your arrogance.

I don't think many of us feel entitled to anything, let alone a job. We just want a chance to prove ourselves, just for someone to look at our resumes, give us at least an interview and see what we have to offer instead of filing our applications based on being unemployed.

Your the one out of touch...this person is CORRECT in every sense. People like you are drains on the economy and even if you do pay some for of tax it is so little that the society will not benefit from your meager contribution.

Governments have to spend billions bailing out the crap people who cant hold a job, who claim untold benefits, who scrounge everything they can. They are Lazy and useless. when you have nothing to contribute financially you deserve nothing in return. Benefits should be cut for the majority as only a handful are genuinely entitled as they have always paid a healthy amount of tax. When the new world movement comes in most of this useless drivel will and should be culled. Only the wealthy and prosperous and people in a contributory position of usefulness should be left. We should not have to carry the lazy jobless and non contributors. 10% of society carry the other 90%. Its no JOKE. And it gets tiresome. I have to pay close to 50% of my salary to the gov to support the useless and provide social services and public services. With the 90% culled the rest of the contributing population would increase productivity and live in a far safer and greener world. 6 billion people are consuming all of the resources which cannot go on. I say the New world will be a breathe of fresh air.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by C11H17N2NaO2S

Offering that useless piece of paper round like its a badge of honor or something.

It may be a useless piece of paper to you, but it very well may be a badge of honor to her. There are many people that are the first in their family to attend college, and to them an associates degree is something to be very proud of. Who are you to say she shouldn't be proud of her accomplishments, no matter how insignificant they may be to you. An associates degree should at least show an employer that the person put forth an effort to further their education. It's sad that you feel the need to badmouth another person and paint them and their accomplishments as being insignificant to make yourself feel more important.

Actually I am not really bad mouthing these people. They came on bad mouthing the process that companies use. All complaining that they cant get a job. So I honestly told them why. I told them why they are unemployable in todays market and told them they have no leg to stand on when it comes to employment.

Just because you have been rejected for employment does not mean the system is wrong. Taking on an employee who is simply not "up to it" can have a very detrimental knock on effect on the companies profit and staff. Having one person in the ranks who does not belong can be time conduming and costly in reputation. This can lead to lower margins and loss of employment for others when the company has to downsize or close its doors because of poor employees.

So yes, when you come on here and state that you hold an associated degree or are proficient in filing or can actually read then you need to be told the real world has many people like you and you are not special.

You say for some of these people they are the first ones in their family to attend college. I, as an employer do NOT care because that means nothing to my profit margin. It is absolutely pathetic when mediocre people at best start complaining when they get rejected by companies. Instead of picking themselves up and anaylizing what they can do they cry.

Do yo think the major companies would still be around today if they started employing these idiots. No they would not be. Everyone has a sob story - i came from a tough background, I have learning difficulties, i have poor health, my family just left me etc etc etc. All of this is not the problem of a prospective employer. They only care about how valuable you are to the company and whether you are financially viable.

So when you clearly dont make the grade, well dont even come close you have ZERO right to moan to people. They should be moan to themselves in the mirror berating themselves for failing time and time again.

If you read my points in previous post it was mainly (but including other joblesss) how someone could remain unemployed for 15 years. That is pathetic and absolutely no one will or should touch you with a barge pole.
However I did offer some valuable advice but still it got criticized by a moron stating offering your services for nothing is madness. Thats why he is an average person earning turd money and will eventually retire with nothing but his kids humiliation to dwell in! Useless.

Most of the majors in college do not translate into jobs. Most of the people studying there are not making themselves marketable. They are wasting time and money. They need to learn job skills. The US has to allow people to come over from other countries because Americans don't have the skills. Sometimes businesses move their companies to other countries because they have cheap skilled labor. That's why I get an Indian guy on the line when I need tech support.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Incubus]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by C11H17N2NaO2S

Your the one out of touch...this person is CORRECT in every sense. People like you are drains on the economy and even if you do pay some for of tax it is so little that the society will not benefit from your meager contribution.

Governments have to spend billions bailing out the crap people who cant hold a job, who claim untold benefits, who scrounge everything they can. They are Lazy and useless. when you have nothing to contribute financially you deserve nothing in return. Benefits should be cut for the majority as only a handful are genuinely entitled as they have always paid a healthy amount of tax. When the new world movement comes in most of this useless drivel will and should be culled. Only the wealthy and prosperous and people in a contributory position of usefulness should be left. We should not have to carry the lazy jobless and non contributors. 10% of society carry the other 90%. Its no JOKE. And it gets tiresome. I have to pay close to 50% of my salary to the gov to support the useless and provide social services and public services. With the 90% culled the rest of the contributing population would increase productivity and live in a far safer and greener world. 6 billion people are consuming all of the resources which cannot go on. I say the New world will be a breathe of fresh air.

Wow. This has to be one of the most odious and self-absorbed posts I have ever had the displeasure of seeing.

You know who governments have spent billions bailing out? The very same corporations who you seem to believe are the most noble and righteous institutions on this planet.

Your advocacy for the elimination of upwards of five billion human beings for your own personal financial benefit is disgusting. It's really kind of sad that your very humanity has been ground out of you by proximity to the most ruthless elements of western materialist culture. The purpose of human society is most certainly not to be a machine for the wealthy to extract even more wealth at the expense of the majority. People are not tools. It is an incredible tragedy that anyone could view their fellows as such.

jra

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie

1) You got fired 2) You quit your job without another job lined up...aka...you left in a hurry.

How could you possibly leave out the possibility of someone getting laid off, probably the most likely scenario many of the current employed found themselves in.

I'm glad some one else said it. I (along with 100+ other people) got laid off due to a work shortage. This happens every so often in the Aerospace industry.

This thread is depressing though. I wasn't aware that having an employment gap was seen as such a bad thing. I've been applying to all sorts of places since loosing my job. I can't exactly help it that a gap is getting bigger. It would be nice not to be passed over because of some stupid employment gap. I used to work 12.5 hours a day and loved it. If that's not the opposite of lazy I don't know what is.

Originally posted by dragnet53
In the video game industry they want you to have at least 1 to 2 games released under your belt to get a job. They plan on not opening entry level jobs at all it seems.

I studied game design and 3d modelling right after high school. I also found it impossible to get into the industry due to the majority of companies wanting some one with several years of experience or a number of published games. I always thought it was really dumb that there seemed to be practically no entry level positions.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

No, in all actuality what you've done is come on here and attempt to belittle people. As I said before it's sad that you feel it necessary to do that in order to make yourself feel important, but hey whatever floats your boat. Your posts seem very familiar, I suspect you are a previously banned member, one with the initials of LM. On the off chace that you aren't, and are indeed just a very new member you may want to take note that almost all of your posts on this thread are filled with personal attacks and personal insults against fellow members which is a violation of the T&C's of this site.

On the off chance that you are actually an employer, I must say that I feel sorry for your employees.

If people can't even receive consideration for a job due to being unemployed, how are they ever going to be employed ?

[edit on 6/7/2010 by chise61]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I WORKED FOR 9 YEARS, 20.79 AN HOUR, WHO ARE YOU? MY JOB WENT OVERSEAS. So your reasoning of mentality, ignorance flew out the window.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join