It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

www.huffingtonpost.com

Still waiting for a response to the 300 resumés you sent out last month? Bad news: Some companies are ignoring all unemployed applicants.

In a current job posting on The People Place, a job recruiting website for the telecommunications, aerospace/defense and engineering industries, an anonymous electronics company in Angleton, Texas, advertises for a "Quality Engineer." Qualifications for the job are the usual: computer skills, oral and written communication skills, light to moderate lifting. But red print at the bottom of the ad says, "Client will not consider/review anyone NOT current
(visit the link for the full news article)

+24 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
So, companies are legally discriminating against people who do not presently have a job. And then people wonder why there are so many going unemployed for years at a time. It is no wonder with these types of hiring practices.

But, with the way the government counts unemployment, every time an already employed person relocates from one job to another, it counts as job growth while the unemployed are still left without the basic means to provide for themselves.

This is outrageous!

It should also be illegal!

www.huffingtonpost.com

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

That is truly disgusting... They should be taken to court for discrimination.

I am currently out of work and have been searching for a job myself... it is very demoralising

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It should be. However, this has been going on for a long time. Anyone with a gap in employment is scrutinized much more than someone who has none. If you have an employment gap you are considered to be defective in some way, otherwise you would have a job. That is how human resources can view your resume and application. The longer the gap, the harder it is to overcome the stigma. Not much to do about this issue aside from boycotting that particular company, seriously shady hiring practices there.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I am not from the States but, is this not illegal?

Do you guys not have employment equality laws encorporating direct and indirect discrimination, because this stinks of indirect discrimination!

Everyone is entitled to an equal opportunity to apply for this and all jobs!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I am also currently unemployed, and this is probably why. It's not for a lack of trying, I can tell you. Ultimately, it's practices like this that keep state benefit claimants high, and since it costs governments money I can only wonder why the practice is still legal.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I don't know how legal or illegal this is but it should not be practiced at all. I know there is a stigma attached but that should be looked through during the process. This might be another good time to send a copy of this article to your representative.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

The sad reality is that a gap in employment sends up a red flag...and there is nothing illegal about it. They are kind of dumb for advertising it that way...but still not illegal.

A gap in employment can mean a couple things.

1) You got fired

2) You quit your job without another job lined up...aka...you left in a hurry.

It just makes it look bad to potential employers. And instead of this company trying to figure out why someone may have a gap...it is easier...and cheaper for them to just consider someone who has no gap.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

www.huffingtonpost.com

Still waiting for a response to the 300 resumés you sent out last month? Bad news: Some companies are ignoring all unemployed applicants.

In a current job posting on The People Place, a job recruiting website for the telecommunications, aerospace/defense and engineering industries, an anonymous electronics company in Angleton, Texas, advertises for a "Quality Engineer." Qualifications for the job are the usual: computer skills, oral and written communication skills, light to moderate lifting. But red print at the bottom of the ad says, "Client will not consider/review anyone NOT current

This is why you should connect with friends. Create a faux company, with phone numbers and addresses. Even a website. Everybody answers the phone with "Vandalay Industries". Create personas, etc. Yes, he works here. Huh? He's looking for a new job? Oh, maybe I should talk to him and increase his salary if he isn't happy. Meanwhile, if you believe he is a good recruit, well, more power to you.

Actually, I am serious about this. Do you know how many clowns work in large companies and corporations? Their numbers seem to be neverending.

And I want to add. I did create a faux company once. Just for fun, mind you. And it does work. Meanwhile, no jobs were accepted by the "employees" of this faux company. It was all just an interesting thing to do. But, the job offers were there.
And there were offers, and even interviews where these faux employees would have been hired, (me) if I wanted to accept.

Clowns, people, in all levels of companies. The bigger, the more clowns.

My Vandalay Industries wasn't the actual name I chose. I was just spoofing the Seinfeld Show and George Castanza in my post. The rest wasn't a spoof. Well. the actual things that occured were meant to be a spoof. And the spoof worked. But the spoof was only on my and my friends' part.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by kyred]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Seems like the usual practice just with a more direct face. In the past it was that people would make up certification for a certain job skill, yet you know you needed the skills first before the certification was ever made. Then people thought you needed the certification before you could get the job. Then employers switched to hire from those that were very skilled at the job to those who were only certified. That seemed logical until the workers eventually got laid off. Now for whatever reason they can dare afford 4 year college and whatever certification.

Long story short, those who were most skilled at the job are now on the street.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Every time I have ever been hired on with a new company I have had to go back and give detailed explanation and proof regarding any gaps of unemployment. I feel like it should have little to no bearing on the quality of ones work or the outlook for future employement, but many companies don't see it that way.

Much the same way credit scores shouldn't be used to penalize an applicant, it is dirty pool so to speak, but not illegal. As long as race, sexual orientation and gender are not factored in, a company can pretty much hire who they please.

This has never made sense to me, it seems as though they punish the people who need work the most. Sort of like how banks will only lend money to people who can prove they don't really need it.

On a similar note, I cringed at the jobs outlook released today which shows that of the 420,000 new jobs created last month, 95% of those jobs were temporary census workers hired by the government.

I truly feel for those folks who are out of work, it is almost impossible to find a decent job right now. The ones that are hiring at all either want temps, or it is some crappy low wage service job.

A friend of mine is a hiring manager with American Express, and she told me that for every available position that opens they are recieving upwards of 100 resumes.

Hard times.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

That is truly disgusting... They should be taken to court for discrimination.

I am currently out of work and have been searching for a job myself... it is very demoralising

Don't give in, I have FAITH in you that you will find a job. Life is a struggle and 2010 is all about COURAGE. I have been laid off from 6 jobs in 12 months so your not the only one and I'm from the UK. A lot of overseas/foreigners have had my job after every boot I got and I do not agree with the system as whats all this talk about "British jobs for British workers". Nevermind, you know what's even worse is that I was told that I was over sufficient that I worked to hard and too fast and they had to let me go

That doesn't make sense so basically if your lazy yes you will be sacked but if your hard working and very fast at your job and get it done always on time and always complete the targets, you get sacked

Yes well unfortunatley being laid off 6 times in one year because I was too hard working has not only messed with my confidence and my mind but also now that I'm back in work or should I say "On-going" because its with a job agency like many jobs these days are through employment agenices for their clients then I could be in work for a few days/weeks/months, nobody knows because that's what "on-going" means.

Yup I'm
and personally do not think I will ever have trust in any business now because of that, which is sad to loose trust in all employment but that's the way it'll be from now on.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Affirmative Action dictates that you lay preference with the minority candidate for employment. Seems like the American with a good job is becoming the minority, so companies are adjusting their hiring to reflect that.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I decided to take some time off during all of this and it almost bit me in the arse. I had a job lined up but it fell through due to lack of projected revenue in 2010 and then I went a few months with nothing -- but as typical for this universe I ended up having three offers on the same day and lots of stress about which one to accept.

As for the stigma, I never have advertised what day and month I left - I just round off to the year - if you have year long gaps then you are screwed unless you have a great story (don't know what that would be). I think it'd be like starting your career over.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DClairvoyant
I have been laid off from 6 jobs in 12 months so your not the only one and I'm from the UK. A lot of overseas/foreigners have had my job after every boot I got and I do not agree with the system as whats all this talk about "British jobs for British workers".

You could become an expert in offshore recruitment or supplemental staffing using offshore resources - you'd be guaranteed a job!

[edit on 4-6-2010 by ararisq]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Let's get this viral, see if we can get the bigger places to pick this up.

I call it "Applying pressure".

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
I don't know how legal or illegal this is but it should not be practiced at all. I know there is a stigma attached but that should be looked through during the process. This might be another good time to send a copy of this article to your representative.

Great idea, hope everyone sends a copy of this horrible article to their Senators and Congressmen and women, these are government contract jobs and should be overseen by the government. Our tax dollars are paying for these jobs.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This isn't anything new. I worked in Telecommunications for over
35 years and this is how it is done most of the time. Always has and
always will. If you are already working for another company and want
to change to something else, you are sure to find a job a lot easier than
someone who is unemployed for whatever reason. Their idea is they
don't want to mess with people who are somehow out of work, whether
it is your fault or not. They also don't want to train newbies. They just
operate like this. I know. I have been through this a number of times over
the years and have had to jump through some big hoops at times being
out of work. It is a lot easier to just change companies being able to do
the job description right off the bat.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

you forgot one :

" being made redundant "

2 of my mates are in this boat at the moment - both thier firms went into administraction and were wound up

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Or you could be in the mortgage industry like myself and have the last three companies you worked for close their doors with little or no forewarning or notice.

Some people have no say in being uneployed, it just happens. Thankfully my resume is strong enough that I haven't experienced long term unemployment because my skills are often in demand, but to be a young person just starting out in this economy....forget it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join