It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do americans think the oil spill in the Gulf Of British Petroleum is a lot?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Consumption and Environmental disasters are not the same. The other funny thing is that you make it sound if there is really much choice. TPTB currently want and force oil on people....so unless you can find a way to change that (we are working on it) then it will not.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

You are a sick guy, and your sordid kind of humour will keep hurting people and spoil a lot of potential friendships... thats what my grandma told me, which might explain, why I actually like your sarcasm.

I just do not agree with your handling of facts. BP made a killing, while all went smooth and the oil regulators only checked by to share a line and a fireside. I really dont think, they are making profits right now.
In oil business time is money, as the credits for very expensive equipments have to charge off, and they are losing a lot of time, they had expected to keep drilling into new wells instead.
They certainly did not calculate assets for experimental gadgeteering a mile under the sea until media attention finally recedes in their 2010 budget and they have to prepare for a lot of lawsuits.
Their shareholders do not like at all, what they are seeing. Their stock prises plumet as we speak and BP will probably be sold to the first intereted party after this crisis is done with.

Mr. Hayworth is so obviously tone deaf in his attempts to communicate the companies further action, because he is still in a state of denial about the size of the mess he is actually responsible for.

You are of course excused in your sarcasm, by the truth, that the american oil addictions regular, and widely deemed acceptable, imprint on our atmosphere is impressive in its own rights. Still not nice to make jokes about people, that try to survive in poisoned swamps. BTW, how many dead Ogoni does Shell need to produce a barrel of Oil? Ill guess Shell will soon be buying lots of used but cheap drilling equipment from BP.
Drrrrrrrrill Baby Drill.
An uncle of mine, who was working as an oil engineer for Schlumberger once tried to teach me his work ethics, when I was a child. I did never meet one person in his company, who would not immediately agree to destroy any given piece of landscape or any given person, family, community or nation if there was money to be made for their company. Big Oil is Big Crime and its far worse than even the ecological disasters they cause.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
sorry, double post..

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
uh, look at what jon stewart said/shown on comedy centrals' the daily show: (source is osha records)

osha regulators have submitted that british petroleum had recieved ...

recieved 760 aggredious(sp?) willful safety violations in the past 3 years,
where as the other 4 major oil corporations recieved these amounts during that same time period:

sunco recieved 8
conocophillips recieved 8
cigo recieved 2
exxon recieved 1

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by XenoStuffz

You are a sick guy, and your sordid kind of humour will keep hurting people and spoil a lot of potential friendships...

friendships?

how do you define friends? don't actions and behaviors speak louder than words?

friends don't tell friends that there are so many rules, laws, regulations, and expectations to comply with in our friendship that it is impossible to live long enough to learn them all.

friends don't expect friends to comply with expectations so numerous a friend can't live long enough to learn.

family doesn't talk to family that way either.

can you tell me how many laws there are for an american, including local, state, federal, etc? How many laws are there to comply with in order to live up to your expectations of this potential friendship of ours?

perhaps this is how you define friendship, and family ....

since you act like a membedr of my jury, please tell me if you are not my friend, and you are not my family, how are you even my peer?

hurting people and spoil a lot of potential friendships

accuse me of hurting people? how do you define friendship?
how you choose to treat me is more improtant than the service of your lip.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

ALL the lude crude leaked out into the Gulf Of British Petroleum in the past 43 days is only equal to ONE HOURS WORTH of oil consumed by the usa, every hour since the leak began.

Ok I see, so can I take a crap on your head?

My piece of crap, is just a minimal part of the total amount of crap produced by the world.

Therefore, you must not mind, if I crap on your head.

You want peanuts with that?

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Point of No Return]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

You should have included a timeframe as to how long it will take
for the gulf to return to it's original condition. Since it's still leaking, that's hard to do.

We don't know how long it will take to recover. We're talking about a whole generation of Americans being negatively affected in serious ways.

Peace

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

The annual amount of oil people normally take a bath with is zero barrels. You are comparing apples to oranges.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

Originally posted by XenoStuffz

You are a sick guy, and your sordid kind of humour will keep hurting people and spoil a lot of potential friendships...

friendships?

how do you define friends? don't actions and behaviors speak louder than words?

friends don't tell friends that there are so many rules, laws, regulations, and expectations to comply with in our friendship that it is impossible to live long enough to learn them all.

friends don't expect friends to comply with expectations so numerous a friend can't live long enough to learn.

family doesn't talk to family that way either.

can you tell me how many laws there are for an american, including local, state, federal, etc? How many laws are there to comply with in order to live up to your expectations of this potential friendship of ours?

perhaps this is how you define friendship, and family ....

since you act like a membedr of my jury, please tell me if you are not my friend, and you are not my family, how are you even my peer?

hurting people and spoil a lot of potential friendships

accuse me of hurting people? how do you define friendship?
how you choose to treat me is more improtant than the service of your lip.

All I can tell you, my GrandMa would have never been willing to accept such a load of dump questions from a dumb# useless eater. Actually Bruno Ganz visited my family to prepare for his role in "The Downfall", so, sadly, I really never learned much about that bleeding heart stuff.

I know how to handle sarcasm, though, and I am a bit amused how many people on this forum absolutely cant. I like your style, but your claim of BP STILL getting richer was a bit off, so I decided to mention that.

About the people hurt, hmm, read your complants, too, not just your love letters. There are some scared people in Louisiana who might have a hard time laughing now. I mention them just in case any of them reads this post, so I can grow my virtual fanbase by taking over yours.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by XenoStuffz]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
When the hell did ATS become a forum dedicated to constant American bashing? With a membership spanning the entire globe surely one country cannot be the sole target of blame for ALL the world's issues. Worse still are the generalizations, assumptions and stereotyping depicting an entire population. At this point I almost wish we'd re-adopt an isolationist viewpoint and just let the rest of the pitchfork and torch wielding world deal with it's own crap by itself.
If an asteroid crashed on a major city it'd be the fault of Americans because we're "stupid, arrogant and ignorant."

The hell with you all then!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
This post is nothing but a racial bigotry trap. I won't even comment in refrence to the OP's initial statements. Pure and simple, delete the thread. I didn't think ATS allowed this.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
When the hell did ATS become a forum dedicated to constant American bashing? With a membership spanning the entire globe surely one country cannot be the sole target of blame for ALL the world's issues. Worse still are the generalizations, assumptions and stereotyping depicting an entire population. At this point I almost wish we'd re-adopt an isolationist viewpoint and just let the rest of the pitchfork and torch wielding world deal with it's own crap by itself.
If an asteroid crashed on a major city it'd be the fault of Americans because we're "stupid, arrogant and ignorant."

The hell with you all then!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

If you cant live with other peoples clichees about you, you should start try getting in charge of them instead of starting to cry. Listen, by your act of defending America I can channel, that you have been a fat overprotected single child, but I would never generalize on you...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
You are all arguing for absolutely nothing quite possibly.

A "major" oil spill in the ocean! OK...but have you thought that this "big" news is simply a distraction for something greater that is happening as we speak.

Has Borat Obama (yes intentional misspelling) passed any bills through that would normally get the attention of the American folk? Should look into that or has something else been going on in America which would normally be sooo astounding but is not getting the proper mention because of all the tree huggers talking about this "huge" disaster.

Yes its an environmental problem to some degree but

right now there are approx 230 million cars running cars in america, 33.8% semi trucks and large machine types.

The amount of damage this is doing to the Earth is far more catastrophic than this oil spill.

But you dont hear the same people complaining about the oil complaining about cars.

Its easier to jump on the band wagon and start raising hell about something that you see on TV or is happening somewhere in your country but just out of reach to affect you directly.

You all seem spout the same BS as each other quoting stats you heard on the news...but not ONE of you is making their way there to lend your help. Not one of you has come up with a decent idea of how to tackle this oil spill but you condemn the people who created it with being dumb and not dealing with it.

What you all need to do (ONLY if you really care) is to do something about it then. Instead of flapping your mouths and airing your teeth solve this problem or add something useful to the equation.

Because all you are doing is opening your pie holes and saying this and that should happen to this person and that person all from the "relative" safety of your home, hut, shack or whatever you live in.

Now you will ask what im doing about the oil spill. NOTHING...I live miles away and have more important things to think about like

1) what are the Council of Foriegn Affairs doing this evening?
2) Will I get this huge promotion at work in August and how can I make sure my competitor for the position happens to end up out of the "race".
3) Will there be a huge war soon that could involve Nukes - IF so who cares about the oil.

Stop picking on one person for his views. Are we not on here because we like to share views and talk freely. Or is Tyranny on here too something that you also want. cos that can be made to happen. Easily.

No one knows who to trust so keep the telling of "shut your mouth" etc to yourself. State your view with some dignity....even if you are from one of those states soon to be engulf by oil.

Hey look on the bright side....get your buckets out and start collecting this "Free" oil.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Why do you lump all Americans into one basket and call them greedy?

2nd line.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by mweiss
I would pay good money to see the OP bring this up in a local Louisiana bar, full of unemployed fishermen and women.

With his obvious anti-American attitude, I'd like to see him say that in any bar in the U.S. I'm pretty sure this idiot is just a troll and really needs a spelling lesson. " Owe well "

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return

Ok I see, so can I take a crap on your head?

it's happened before, me getting crap on my head.
but when an insect craps on my head, sometimes it happens without me even knowing!

My piece of crap, is just a minimal part of the total amount of crap produced by the world.

ya, but is the world's supply and demand supporting it?
are people willing to pay more than $3.00 for each gallon of crap you would like to deposit on their heads?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64

Originally posted by mweiss
I would pay good money to see the OP bring this up in a local Louisiana bar, full of unemployed fishermen and women.

With his obvious anti-American attitude, I'd like to see him say that in any bar in the U.S. I'm pretty sure this idiot is just a troll and really needs a spelling lesson. " Owe well "

mweiss,
pay for the transportation, and put your money where your mouth is, and i would gladly comply with going to the bar in louisiana and see how unemployed no income having people are spending that money they don't have on drinks they can't afford! there is some good logic, no flaws to be found in that logic! Why not redirect the funds you are willing to pay to see me engaged in a conflict in a bar, and donate that money to those fishermen and women who can not afford any drinks in the first place?

DAVID64,
"owe well" was neither a typo nor a spelling error on my part.
i meant what the word owe can mean, a perceived debt.
i meant what the word well can mean, an oil well.

owe well ..... "
", any other suggestions on improving my communication skills are most appreciated.

and, great demonstration of your willingness to be open minded enough to comprehend what the words meant, or could have meant. it's unfortunate you couldn't get past the first sentence without finding error where there was no error made. it was just who was reading it couldn't accept the intended meaning of it (a wordplay pun), for whatever reasons ...

americans' actions and behaviors are a testament to their belief system.
what i'm trying to shed some light on is the cause and effect.

Facts:
The amount of oil that has leaked into the Gulf Of British Petroleum in the last 44 days is relatively the same amount of petroleum america has used up in the past 16 minutes.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SneakAPeek

I second your comment fully.

This is, at the very least, an obvious troll thread.

It's what's making coming to this site harder each day.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by randolrs1

I can appreciate your attempt at putting this event in perspective, however, I think you're misunderstanding the major issue.

The criticism over the leak has little to do with loss of supply of oil and more to do with the environmental impacts.

if i am the one misunderstanding the major issue, please feel free to elaborate how i am supposed to ignore all the variables involved with drilling for oil in an unsafe manner, while pretending to care about the environmental impacts?

can i care about the environmental impacts without referencing all the variables that causes the impacts on MY environment?

wanting to preserve one's environment may be a bit selfish on my part
to act after the fact like we care & ignoring the causes, doesn't show heart
perhaps on this basis we may not agree, but are our views that far apart?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
When the hell did ATS become a forum dedicated to constant American bashing? With a membership spanning the entire globe surely one country cannot be the sole target of blame for ALL the world's issues.

america currently has military bases and military installations in over 100 other nations worldwide.

how many other nations have military bases and installations in america? O

If america acts and behaves like the world's issues are theirs to take care of, then yes the world (or at least the 100+ nations american military forces inhabit) are justified in assigning some blame on americans for their homeland's problems.

what is the logic behind this statement?
americans are not at all to blame for the oil spill, they don't ask for, use, depend upon, or pay for oil?

comparing the oil spill to an asteroid?
how many americans are currently paying for and using asteroids?
is the supply and demand americans have for asteroids comparable in your mind with americans supply and demand of oil?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join