It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do americans think the oil spill in the Gulf Of British Petroleum is a lot?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

ll I hate to burst your bubble there, but my friend you are misinformed.And how do I know this, well here is something that you should see then tell me you know how much oil in the gulf is leaked compared to US consumption.

The federal government says that the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has currently released approximately 504,000 to 798,000 barrels of oil into the Gulf based on forty one days of leaking: about 2-4 percent of the United States' one day consumption.

Well Iguess info you post is wrong. So research,research,research for gods sake research something before you post something that is wrong.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Alright I can live with that. Just need to clarify what you say so that everybody understands your comments.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Why did you post the same link to NBC news 18 times in two posts?!?
Were you having a tantrum?

Or were you trying to make it look like you had more sources (18x more) to back up your story?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mmmguinness

agreed, this could have happened elsewhere, but it has happened here and now and here and now is where we should be, or else we wouldn't be here now would we?

thanks for efforting to comprehend my attitude i convey here.

all of a sudden americans and osha are warning about all the long term health effects of this environmental disaster ...

i have spent many years in the middle east where they are burning the impurities out of oil with their abundant refineries .... where the smell of oil smells like pure raw sewage ...... where local people in iraq suffer from undiagnosable diseases and numerous health problems associated with their own environments toxic poisons ...

and now americans care about the short term and long term effects of this on those who are cleaning this mess up?

what about supporting their troops who are in environments that contain higher levels of these airborn, waterborn, and soil born hazardous material micro-toxins?

americans do not support their troops by:

abandoning their fellow americans that are fighting for the resources neccesary to support their way of life by slapping a #ing bumper sticker on their car and driving cross state to watch nascar races where they make a sport out of wasting those same resources americans are dying for by driving in circles as fast as they can, for monetary profits.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Why did you post the same link to NBC news 18 times in two posts?!?
Were you having a tantrum?

why do so many ats contributors call the statements i made, and supplied references for before, lies, misinformation, etc...
so many ways?

how many statements have been made that parallel the ideology that it was my math that didn't add up?

i posted the reference so many times, because obviously once, twice, and the third time wasn't enough.

it wasn't my math i used as a reference, anyone who knows me knows math is one of my weakest subjects.

Or were you trying to make it look like you had more sources (18x more) to back up your story?

nope, just trying to make the post more mouse user friendly for anyone who might have multiple scholeosis(sp?) or shaky hands due to parkensons(sp?) disease.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

nope, just trying to make the post more mouse user friendly for anyone who might have multiple scholeosis(sp?) or shaky hands due to parkensons(sp?) disease.

Ok.....so it really WAS a tantrum I take it.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h

Alright I can live with that. Just need to clarify what you say so that everybody understands your comments.

i know i often am guilty for making contributions on ats/bts that may seem a little odd, but they are designed with the intent to get people to look at certain issues from perspectives they may not have previously considered.

i try to invoke thought, sometimes emotionally, sometimes logically, and sometimes even appearing irrationally.

one contributor here stated i was a troll who was obviously here trying to get the attention.

not sure what trolls do exactly, never met one.
as for the trying to get attention, that isn't my intention.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Please don't say things that you do not know about. Americans support their troops. What they do not support is the reasons for war. I would like to inform you on something and that is a majority of our troops re enlist because they see that they are making a difference helping out the people in the war that do not have anything during the last regime. So don't make the remark that we don't support our troops. You must be going by whatever you heard in the telly.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Trivialising a catastrophe and then blaming the people affected by it, when they didn't even cause it is not the best way to make a point in my opinion.

It's just like Pat Robertson saying that the Haitians deserved the massive earthquake because they were "wicked" and they brought it on themselves.

Poor form.

[edit on 2/6/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Trivialising a catastrophe and then blaming the people affected by it, when they didn't even cause it ...

sorry, what people are you speaking of that are effected by it while simultaneously can claim they have total absolution from being a variable that did not contribute in the mess?

trying to keep me on my toes as usual, huh Chamberf?

you silly bastard, don't change much, i appreciate your style. at least you say what you mean as best as you are able.

tantrum, huh?

hmm....

Main Entry: tan·trum
Pronunciation: \ˈtan-trəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1714
: a fit of bad temper

not so much a fit of bad temper because bad temper is never really too fit.

besides, is there such a thing as a good temper, from the perspective of the one or ones recieving that temper?

i'd say more a rebuttal due to justified and legitimate frustration at multiple attempts to discredit me as being the one who did the math while ignoring the source of that math, and it's reference.

ATSers are efforting to prove the math wrong and call me a liar, when that specific fact was presented as fact on the news.

why try to force me into a conflict over a statistic provided by brian williams and their production team on nbc news?

stop debunking me and debunk nbc nighlty news and brian williams if it is a lie.

it's like me reading "see spot run" in a book and telling them that there is a dog named spot, and they try to call me a liar or someone who is misinformed, while ignoring the fact the book exists and ignoring the fact that the sentence say "see spot run".

so, is there a dog named spot, or is my integrity somehow flawed?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

ll I hate to burst your bubble there, but my friend you are misinformed.And how do I know this, ......

Well I guess info you post is wrong. So research,research,research for gods sake research something before you post something that is wrong.

Chamberf, are you still thinking i'm having a tantrum?

tsurfer2000h, i posted the source of the statistics i provided in the op only 18 times on the previous page, obviously it wasn't enough, so ....

Start about 1/3 into the broadcast and you will be a less than a minute away from the tidbit of information that inspired me to author the op:

source:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Please don't say things that you do not know about.Americans support their troops. What they do not support is the reasons for war. I would like to inform you on something and that is a majority of our troops re enlist because they see that they are making a difference helping out the people in the war that do not have anything during the last regime. So don't make the remark that we don't support our troops. You must be going by whatever you heard in the telly.

your contribution would be relavite to the conversation here, if you had taken the time to read my posts.

"mar habba, ina rajule itfaa', are jduke loc toc tuni, sadeekee"

that means: "hello i'm a fireman, please don't kill me friend" in farsi.

if it is your opinion that i must be going by whatever i am hearing on the telly, please ask me how many deployments and how many years i have spent in warzones.

or ....

don't ask me and read my previous posts.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

You can post it as much as your heart desires that still does not mean that it's right. I am saying that information was not right. You also need to know that even news anchors can be wrong. So you are saying the government doesn't know what they are talking about, but a news anchor does. You are kidding me right. I will post the link so you can read it for ypurself.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Here is the link to what i posted.

news.mongabay.com...

so if you still think that Brian Williams knows more than the gov't okay then.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

You can post it as much as your heart desires that still does not mean that it's right. I am saying that information was not right.

i whole heartedly apologize for the name calling.
sometimes i feel like i have given more than what was mine to give, and "it" is a deep feeling.

i know things seem a mess, i know.

edited to add:
i think your reference and my reference ... have something in common ....

i think brian williams knows more than he is permitted to present as news.
and please, i can only beg, please believe me when i tell you i put more than my heart's desires into my posts.

thank you for the stats, and the link,
john

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Chamberf, are you still thinking i'm having a tantrum?

Yeah, yep. Sure looks like it. Answer your question?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Well this may give you a better idea as to why Brian Williams is not right with his estimate.Since BP will not let anyone out there to see the spill they have to give estimates and the one from BP to our congress has said that 60000 barrels a day is what is leaking into the gulf. The US consumes 19,500,000 barrels a day, so if you add how much is leaking per day with how many days that it has leaked. (60000 x 42) that comes out to about 2,520,000 barrels is out there. Now if you divide 19,500,000 by 24 you get
812,500 barrels an hour. I don't know where you learned math but as you can see it doesn't add up.
So in conclusion the USA uses ...
812,500 barrels an hour
2,520,000 barrels have leaked out

you can surely see the math and what he said is not correct. so the whole amount in the gulf is more than what the US consumes in an hour.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I don't have a problem with that. I would hope you understand that the news in the states are misinformed about somethings they report. I would just ask that a little research be done before posting things that may come from the the news because it isn't hard to find true info on the subject especially with the internet. I am not saying he was lying he was just misinformed by somebody.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I don't know where you learned math ...

the american public school system.

but as you can see it doesn't add up.
So in conclusion the USA uses ...
812,500 barrels an hour
2,520,000 barrels have leaked out

so it is your contention based upon the statistcs you've researched that instead of the total amount of oil that has leaked out in the past 44 days is not equal to what americans consume in one hour, but closer to a little over three hours?

you can surely see the math and what he said is not correct. so the whole amount in the gulf is more than what the US consumes in an hour.

if your sources' stats are taking into account more variables than nbc nightly news, then yes, it is closer to 3 hours worth of oil, but do those statistics incorporate how much oil america consumes in warzones, or is that even publicly known info, i wonder?

since your math skills are obviously more advanced than mine (math is not my strong suit) ...

one ATSer here made the claim that the spill will be responsible for extinctions.

i'm trying to rationalize that assumption.

if we ratio the amount of water in the gulf of british petroleum and equate it to an olympic sized pool, how much oil would we have to dump into the pool that would be a proper representation of the ratio to the gulf oil?

i'm going to take off for some stuff i have to do for about an hour, but i''ll come back and do some research into how many gallons of water are in an olympic sized pool, and how many gallons of water are in the gulf.

unless someone beats me to it.

by the way, star!
thanks for sharing the info,
john

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join