It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do americans think the oil spill in the Gulf Of British Petroleum is a lot?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
no offense intended americans, and if you are an offended american, owe well!

i refer to it as the gulf of british petroleum after kevin costner couldn't deploy his proven machines because their authority would not permit it, or at least detered him from simply deploying them.

Sincerely Americans,
ALL the lude crude leaked out into the Gulf Of British Petroleum in the past 43 days is only equal to ONE HOURS WORTH of oil consumed by the usa, every hour since the leak began.

it's not like it's a lot of oil to the usa's "big picture".
Take a look at statistics, I’m pretty damn sure …
So what if a little water might be a little unpure

supply and demand, "free" market's ideological land
you demand the supply, and blame others, …why?
G.O.D. (*Governments Of Dollars), …psy sigh …

(although it is difficult to assign a lot of blame to the omish)

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It's not a large amount in the context of supply of oil. But it could kill over half of the life in the Gulf of Mexico, which in turn would ruin a lot of people's way of life ie shrimping, fishing, tourism, etc

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Obviously you have done very little research as to the effects of such a massive oil spill.

I suggest you go and look a little at the devastation that is caused by huge oil spills then come back and comment.

This is leaking over 240,000 Gallons every day into one of the earths most important Ocean Areas, The Gulf of Mexico.

Yes, oil does leak naturally into the Oceans in huge amounts, but over time, not 240,000 gallons per day in one specific location.

The Gulf is an extremely important factor in the climate of the east coast of the USA and the Climate of Western Europe.

Not to mention all the chemicals they have dumped into the ocean here to disperse the oil itself.

It's a huge disaster....period.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

I can appreciate your attempt at putting this event in perspective, however, I think you're misunderstanding the major issue.

The criticism over the leak has little to do with loss of supply of oil and more to do with the environmental impacts. Although you're right that the volume of oil is miniscule relative to the American oil market, that same volume of oil is significant when spilled into the ocean. I do not live near the Gulf of Mexico, but I do consider the livelihood of my environment is threatened. You probably do not live near the Gulf of Mexico either, but you should consider the eventual ramifications of such a large uncontrolled release of oil and natural gas on your environment in the near future. Earth can be considered a closed system; what happens in the Gulf will eventually have ramifications everywhere.

You also (nearly incoherently) mentioned the hipocracy of demanding oil and loathing the effects of its extraction. This is a valid point and one worth considering, but responsibility ultimately lies with the extractor, not the demander. It's akin to saying "It is my child's fault that I left it in the car while I worked because it demanded food for which I had to work".

I hope this clears up any confusion you may have on this subject. Each of us is on this planet together and the more we can understand each other, the better off that we are.

Shane

[edit on 1-6-2010 by randolrs1]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It is'nt a lot in terms of consumption but dump it in the ocean, yeah it's a lot. Think of all of the vodka the Russians consume in a month, now dump that into a fish tank at Sea World. Not a good outcome either. Not picking on Russians by the way, I like me a vodka tonic from time to time.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
no offense intended americans, and if you are an offended american, owe well!

i refer to it as the gulf of british petroleum after kevin costner couldn't deploy his proven machines because their authority would not permit it, or at least detered him from simply deploying them.

Sincerely Americans,
ALL the lude crude leaked out into the Gulf Of British Petroleum in the past 43 days is only equal to ONE HOURS WORTH of oil consumed by the usa, every hour since the leak began.

it's not like it's a lot of oil to the usa's "big picture".
Take a look at statistics, I’m pretty damn sure …
So what if a little water might be a little unpure

supply and demand, "free" market's ideological land
you demand the supply, and blame others, …why?
G.O.D. (*Governments Of Dollars), …psy sigh …

(although it is difficult to assign a lot of blame to the omish)

this thread is so ignorant and short sighted. i guess that little statistic may have worked on a group of half drunk friends, but you are absolutely missing the big picture. this isn't a "little unpure water".

i just don't get how dumb you have to be to try and "downplay the sensationalism" for the sake of a making a pointless statistic to what is a truly severe and life altering situation that we will have to deal with for decades and decades.

just keep your mouth shut and let it keep spillin out, you obviously won't play any positive role in this anyway.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I would pay good money to see the OP bring this up in a local Louisiana bar, full of unemployed fishermen and women.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Because it is.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
As far as I can tell the OP is telling you why BP is doing this and how they are profiting from it, look at the rise in gas prices since this happened all because of an hrs worth of resource lost? Obviously BP are making huge profit, and by labeling it the gulf of BP that is the OP saying he recognises this is a large environmental disaster, and your reactions that are aimed at the OP ought to be aimed at BP because the OP is trying to expose their attitude not his own, so stop slamming the OP he's on your side.....as far as I can tell.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I think that this thread is done as irony? Not sure... it feels a little disjointed and I’m not sure if you mean what you say (with regards to it not being a lot of oil) or if you are just trying to demonstrate how much resources America consumes by comparing it to this disaster...

If you could clearly state you opinion on this without it sounding like a riddle it would help... thanks... and no offence intended

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart

this thread is so ignorant and short sighted. i guess that little statistic may have worked on a group of half drunk friends, but you are absolutely missing the big picture. this isn't a "little unpure water".

i just don't get how dumb you have to be to try and "downplay the sensationalism" for the sake of a making a pointless statistic to what is a truly severe and life altering situation that we will have to deal with for decades and decades.

just keep your mouth shut and let it keep spillin out, you obviously won't play any positive role in this anyway.

OP,

I don't really know how to respond to such an ignorant thread, so I just quoted shagreen heart's post and starred it.. hoping you can understand that.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

To me it ( the original poster's question) sounds exactly like statement a BP shareholder would make to justify their holdings.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Why should Americans be blamed for this? Because it is in the gulf of Mexico?
Why not blame the Mexicans?

BP is BRITISH PETROLEUM.

It is in INTERNATIONAL waters.

The Chinese drill there too.

So, I don't get the point.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
What should be considered by what is happening with the spill,is what is being pumped out every hour of every day into the sea above us?

How much poluting and for how long now has that been going for?
Too bloody long,for sure.

[edit on 1/6/10 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
reply to post by broahes

To me it sounds exactly like statement a BP shareholder would make
to justify their holdings.

I can't say that I looked at it that way to begin with.. but re-reading the OP.. I think I agree with that.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
OOPS! My Bad, i owe everyone an apology, i made a mistake!!!

my dumb ass, i was only accounting for what america consumes in oil in the continental united states!

i forgot to take into account all the oil consumed in wars and on military instillations spread the world over!!!

Actually, americans, the amount of oil leaked into the Gulf Of British Petroleum is actually closer to ...

Sixteen Minutes worth of american oil leaked into Gulf of B.P.!

heck, that's only the amount of petroleum we use in 1 / 90th
of one day!

so, how much has this major loss of petroleum caused gas to go up anyway???

DOES THE MATH ADD UP?

british petroleum loses no profit, looses what america consumes in 16 minutes each day ...

and jack up the price of gas for 300 million americans, by how much?

Go British Petroleum!

i'm an envious fan!

maybe i should open a business that operates on their ethical standards?

Would anyone be interested in insurance or a warranty on their coffin?

[MOD SNIP - offensive content]

[edit on 6/2/10 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

The price of gas has gone down about 22 cents since the oil rig blew up

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart

this thread is so ignorant and short sighted. i guess that little statistic may have worked on a group of half drunk friends,

If by my half drunk friends, you mean nbc nightly news with brian williams, which is where i first heard the incomplete statistics that omitted what americans consume in oil across the globe, you would be absolutley correct.

brian williams and the producers must be at least half drunk on something to omitt the full truth, and call it informational news.

however, i did forget to supply where i first heard the statistic, so i guess it is fully optional for you to assume i invented the statistice amongst me and my drunk friends.

sorry for not sighting the source at the start, but i felt a little queezy straight from my heart when i see how much they use this to justify a price hike to support their war, while ordering the troops around overseas.

and, yes, your military is subserviant to and following the orders of oil companies' subsidiaries who are not abiding by any geneva convention expectations. but how would i know, i only spent three years in warzones.

ah, for all you know i'm no longer stable or credible.
i might just have post traumatic stress dissorder and a traumatic brain injury.

support the troops!
and
happy memorial day!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
What a stupid thread,but here is my 2 cents anyway. The correct name for location is the Gulf of Mexico! It has nothing to do with how much oil is consumed by the US or any other country! This is an environmental disaster - please read and look at the photos of such before making yourself look like an ass!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

OH, so you're one of "THOSE" people who believe the mainstream media.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join