It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US activist loses eye after being shot in face with tear gas canister

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I havent really seen anyone cover the most important point regardless of who this girl is or why she was there.

Why did an officer of the law shoot her in the eye with a tear gas canister?

Sounds like U.S. Forces with tazers, some people abuse it some people dont.

Regardless of why she was there, they should have been less violent with shooting the canister into the crowd. Its pretty easy to get it where you want to go... Just have to have people trained to do it.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

she was an american student on an exchange program

". Emily Henochowicz is currently in Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem undergoing surgery to remove her left eye"

It sounds like the troops got the grenade where they wanted it from eyewitness reports..

Henochowicz is an art student at the prestigious Cooper Union, located in East Village, Manhattan.

from the link in original post

[edit on 1-6-2010 by gambon]

[edit on 1-6-2010 by gambon]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
When will all this violence stop? When we learn we are above noone. Israel needs to get off it's high horse and realise that they are responsible for multitudes of global problems.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
reply to post by groingrinder

Israel blockades a country that has fancy bottle rockets.

Israel is blockading a country full of terrorists that are attempting to acquire nuclear weapons, and that has launched rockets and missiles into Israeli territory for decades.

Again, although I am not an avid supporter of Israel, I do defend their right to defend their very existence.

Furthermore, why not point out the fact that Egypt is also blockading Gaza. I suspect that those of you who are condemning Israel are duplicitous in not condemning Egypt also.
Gee, I wonder why that is? Don't bother to answer, I know the answer. Your bigotry is showing.

lmaol

your avatar show wisdom... shame on me it was only a trick

egypt think that israel action are so bad that they just lift the blockade

so think again

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Emily Henochowicz was raised Jewish in NY. I can't help but wonder if the Israeli soldiers have a special hatred for American Jews that do not agree with Israeli policies?? According to accounts on the scene the soldiers fired a barrage of canisters directly at Emily and her friend as they protested peacefully. I also wonder if the IDF is trained to kill, injure and intimidate foreign protesters as policy?

This is Emily a talented art student that made the mistake of speaking up to Israel...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/05eaf26be371.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

If that is true, it only pi$$es me off. That is messed up.

AND if they did throw a barrage of cannisters at her it is definitely foul play.

Will keep watching this.

The picture makes me sick. Imagine losing your eye and bleeding down ur face... AFTER being tear gassed... man

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Say what you want but when you go to another country and get involved in their politics you either better be carrying a bigger weapon than them or risk this stuff happening. Right or wrong, that is how it is.

If you are going to play with fire, you risk being burned. War is war there are no real rules. Anyone who thinks there are real rules to war is only fooling themselves. I have no interest in being involved in wars myself I am not a soldier.

Again right or wrong, she should have wagered the risks involved. Maybe she did in fact do this and thought the risk was worth it. Hope she was right. The only point I got from all of this is that she can bleed on foreign soil and that a tear gas canister can put out an eye. That sort of reminds me of an old saying “it is all fun and games until someone loses an eye”.

Raist

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

Again right or wrong, she should have wagered the risks involved. Maybe she did in fact do this and thought the risk was worth it. Hope she was right.

I highly doubt she expected to get her eye destroyed but I am sure she knew the possibility that she might be detained or injured. I think she is getting more media exposure than she expected but it does seem to be worth it because people are talking about it and are feeling sympathy for her. Also, the fact that she is female makes a big difference. No one would be talking about it if she were male.

I'm really sorry that happened to her. She is a talented artist and this injury is going to make it very hard for her to continue her art.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
Say what you want but when you go to another country and get involved in their politics you either better be carrying a bigger weapon than them or risk this stuff happening. Right or wrong, that is how it is.

If you are going to play with fire, you risk being burned. War is war there are no real rules. Anyone who thinks there are real rules to war is only fooling themselves. I have no interest in being involved in wars myself I am not a soldier.

Again right or wrong, she should have wagered the risks involved. Maybe she did in fact do this and thought the risk was worth it. Hope she was right. The only point I got from all of this is that she can bleed on foreign soil and that a tear gas canister can put out an eye. That sort of reminds me of an old saying “it is all fun and games until someone loses an eye”.

Raist

So you think its okay for peaceful protesters to get brutalized?

Well that speaks wonderfully of your character.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

I think she messed up myself (not saying anything about her politics just with what she did). If I want someone to try to fix politics in the world, I will do my best to get my government involved with another government. People can call me coward or whatever but I think more can be done if I get my government involved than if I am just involved.

If she thought there was a chance she could be injured I guess she found out she was right. I guess her injury was more severe than expected though. Again though, I would never go to another part of the world and try to protest their politics. There are safer ways to go about it. My own government is own thing but I trust other countries governments less than my own.

Others will say I am heartless and uncaring because of my view toward her. Again, I say I see better ways of trying to get things fixed. I am not a soldier, I understand this, and this keeps me from going to war zones and protesting the politics of another country.

Went my son does something I have warned him about and he gets hurt I ask him why he got hurt, generally he tells me it is because of what he was doing. I then ask if he learned not to do it, he says yes. Even if she learned nothing in college while there, I am sure she learned the risks involved with protesting the politics of another country on foreign soil. At least I hope she did.

Raist

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Where did I say that? Please highlight it for me, as I might have missed it.

I am saying if you want to get involved with the politics of other countries on their doorstep you better be prepared for whatever comes your way. She was not in the U.S. she was on foreign soil. The rules change over there and different people make those rules. If I want to change the politics of another country I will urge my government to get involved.

Say what you want about my character, your view of me is meaningless. That also is not what this thread is about.
Raist

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

I can't help but wonder if the Israeli soldiers have a special hatred for American Jews that do not agree with Israeli policies??

What makes you believe that the IDF soldiers knew that she was an American Jew? Was she wearing a sign indicating that?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I did not mention before, but hopefully there is some positive that comes from this girl's suffering.

I can only hope that her sacrificing an eye will help shed light on the fact that not all Americans are blind followers and Israel supporters. Maybe images like the one above will help bring our nations, or at least the people of our respective nations a little closer together.

I can only hope that if Israel follows through with their promise of "more force" in regards to the incoming aid vessels that Israel gets their just deserts. The fact that we helped arm these people with nuclear warheads, admittedly or not, is absolutely mind boggling. I wouldn't fart upwind from these IDF and Israeli government jackasses for fear of having small particles of myself associated with them.

If I had my way and Israel seriously attacks another AID vessel then we would have about 100 tons of laser guided presents for them and their hierarchy. I may not agree or remotely support Hamas or any other militant group hell bent on killing civilians due to their geographic location, but Israel should be considered just as much if not more of a terrorist threat to global civility and human rights as anyone else.

These IDF punks think they are tough because they get the American standard of military equipment and similar training. I'll pit 1000 Marines and Soldiers against 10,000 IDF pu#ies any day of the week, and I've done joint training with the morons.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Israel Propagandists have made it onto ATS too! Well done guys, you do really get absolutely everywhere.

Next you'll be telling us your beloved and holy military never used white phosphorous on Gaza, that your precious IDF never slaughtered a room full of women and left their children to starve, that you never restricted the press or put controls on contact with Gaza...

Oh wait, all this was PROVEN by the INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY and much of it was seen on LIVE TV!

You can spread all the crap you like and try to defend the actions of Israel, but the TRUTH is out there for us all to see.

Now I'll just wait for you to come back with that tired old anti-Semite accusation, it's the sure-fire way to prevent any disagreement with Israel right?
It's an obvious attempt to scare people into shutting up through accusation. Well, it doesn't work any more.
But please try as I find it funny.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Look up Operation Northwoods, the attempted sinking of the USS Liberty, and then look again at 9/11 and tell me who wins.

It's not difficult to understand why people make such accusations. Both the USA and Israel have form.
It's a tried and tested M.O.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

The major difference between the US and Israel falls into the very mindset of the Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen.

While the US is far from being an angel, I can tell you that the type of raw hatred and racism that exists as the IDF's basis for ROE does not exist within our (US) military. Sure, with any military you will find headcases who are bloodthirsty, but as I've said in previous posts, the unit I was with had no reservations about f#ing up anyone who engaged, harrased or stole from civilians and/or animals. We've dislocated more than a few jaws with gun butts between Afghanistan and Iraq with regards to overkill and unecessary use of force.

Other than the fact that the IDF makes it painfully obvious themselves, my joing training with IDF "commandos" (I.E. small wienered, racist, self-righteous peckerheads with no real physical or mental conditioning) taught me a few things. As we hung out and spoke during and between training session, exchanging stories of combat and the likes, it became extremely obvious that they have no reservations about murdering anyone, i mean ANYONE not of Israeli descent (though a majority fail to accept they are the descendants of Eastern European refugees). I heard more than one joke from IDF soldiers, laughing about finding and mixing and matching body parts from bombings and assaults on buildings full of civilians. To this day the IDF disgusts me, they harass Muslims on a daily basis believing that they are God's chosen people, and that they have the right to anything they want in the region. I hate to admit it, but if I was born and raised in Gaza I would most likely throw my nuts in the wheelbarrow, strap a bomb to my chest and blow the ever living crap out of whatever IDF units/installations I could find. They truly are a terrorist state, some of the biggest hypocrites in the world. Anti-semite my tail, most Israelis don't even stem from the original line of Jewish people. My rants over, I have to leave this thread for a while as it makes the blood pressure sky rocket.

btw. what's the difference between blowing up a Christian building in the name of Allah and murdering Muslim civilians in the name of the Jewish state....nothing.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Shark VA84]

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Shark VA84]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Israel Propagandists have made it onto ATS too! Well done guys, you do really get absolutely everywhere.

Instead of making all sorts of unfounded accusations, why don't you read the ENTIRE THREAD? You obviously missed reading page 1, where I said:

Again, although I am not an avid supporter of Israel, I do defend their right to defend their very existence.

Of course, why should I even bother to have a civil discussion with you, as you seem to already have predetermined what I will say. Of course, you are wrong, but I'm sure that doesn't matter to you:

Now I'll just wait for you to come back with that tired old anti-Semite accusation, it's the sure-fire way to prevent any disagreement with Israel right? It's an obvious attempt to scare people into shutting up through accusation. Well, it doesn't work any more.

As for your comment on your second response, you don't need to bring up the USS Liberty, as I wrote several posts, where I strongly condemned what Israel did, and I still condemn it.

Each incident needs to be looked at individually, as no nation is always correct. You seem not to understand that. The world is not black and white, and neither is any nation.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Something is really wrong with you. The documentary that your talking about is about Israel bulldozing down homes of Palestinians because some where in that region a rocket was fired.

That young girl was standing in front of the bulldozer because she was an American who came from a country where bulldozers don't run you over as if you were less than vermin.

And you compare this to the girl who lost her eye? It's very different even if both are very sad and should not have happened.

Some day a diary of a small Palestinian girl is going to be published and set right next to the story of Ann Frank in a pubic library. Some day in our public schools children are going to be taught about the horrors the palestinian people suffered under Israel.

Some day the people of Israel will hang their head in shame like many Germans do today because of the disgusting acts of the Nazis.

But for now the defenders of such acts and the people who find it funny to see a young girl get run over by a bulldozer or get shot in the face and loose an eye can continue to laugh.

It is your right to laugh but know that you are no better than the Nazi scum you inadvertently emulate. Never again means never again to all people not just to Jews, at least in my mind it does.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Next you'll be telling us your beloved and holy military never used white phosphorous on Gaza, that your precious IDF never slaughtered a room full of women and left their children to starve, that you never restricted the press or put controls on contact with Gaza...

Actually, again, you fail to research before you post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
If you had checked before making false accusations, you would have found this thread, which I posted:

White phosphorus is being used in Gaza, a densely populated area. That is a violation of the Geneva convention of 1980. Israel is trying to skirt that CCW restriction by saying that it is using the WP as a smoke screen. They learned that tactic very well from the US, who used WP in Fallujah:
Here is the double talk that the US used to squirm out of being accused of war crimes:
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Bet that left a mark.

Well, when you decide to protest something, you have to keep in mind the cops might be there, and even if you're not being violent, someone might be. And the cops will react accordingly.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join