It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical storm leaves more than 115 dead in Central America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Few more pics of this out there:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d760707578a9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf0f763f7b44.jpg[/atsimg]

Wow just wow how deep does that thing go? Is that just water erosion ? Looks like something punched through it. Mind you its nothing compared to some of the potholes where I live

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Wholly crap, that is absolutely amazing.

It’s either going to take a lot of land fill to fill that in or they could bring an awesome architect firm to convert it into something useful.

+24 more 
posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Hollow Earth theory much?

Where did all the massive amounts of earthen material just "fall to"? Why is there such a massive cavern lying underneath an urban sprawl, that is so massive, it can swallow tons of earth into nothingness?

That is one disturbing picture. I've seen sinkholes before that were quite mind-boggling, but this one is very bizarre. It looks like, as people have said, a giant drill simply punched through into nothing. There are no cracks in the surface, no blemishes in the sinkhole.. the earth simply formed a hole, and the contents fell into nothing.

Seriously.. what the hell?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I don't see how a storm could do this.... and it appears that there's a cavity, strange.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

well if its a deep as it looks like it could be...
i guess it could make a decent garbage dump? D:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This thread just got S&F'd, i have friends who would already be rolling out the ropes and breaking the snaplights to go exploring.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Few more pics of this out there:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d760707578a9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf0f763f7b44.jpg[/atsimg]

Ok, you wake up in the morning and step out your door to get some milk down the street and ...... Wow!

Anyone got a long rope?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Sinkholes

Sinkholes are common where the rock below the land surface is limestone, carbonate rock, salt beds, or rocks that can naturally be dissolved by ground water circulating through them. As the rock dissolves, spaces and caverns develop underground. Sinkholes are dramatic because the land usually stays intact for a while until the underground spaces just get too big. If there is not enough support for the land above the spaces then a sudden collapse of the land surface can occur. These collapses can be small, as this picture shows, or they can be huge and can occur where a house or road is on top.

The most damage from sinkholes tends to occur in Florida, Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. The picture below shows a sinkhole that quickly opened up in Florida, apparently eating a swimming pool, some roadway, and buildings.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb5f94b33eb3.jpg[/atsimg]

and this example...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bbe024a8f0fd.jpg[/atsimg]

Areas prone to collapse sinkholes

The map below shows areas of the United States where certain rock types that are susceptible to dissolution in water occur. In these areas the formation of underground cavities can form and catastrophic sinkholes can happen. These rock types are evaporites (salt, gypsum, and anhydrite) and carbonates (limestone and dolomite). Evaporite rocks underlie about 35 to 40 percent of the United States, though in many areas they are buried at great depths.

Sinkholes can be human-induced

New sinkholes have been correlated to land-use practices, especially from ground-water pumping and from construction and development practices. Sinkholes can also form when natural water-drainage patterns are changed and new water-diversion systems are developed. Some sinkholes form when the land surface is changed, such as when industrial and runoff-storage ponds are created. The substantial weight of the new material can trigger an underground collapse of supporting material, thus causing a sinkhole.

The overburden sediments that cover buried cavities in the aquifer systems are delicately balanced by ground-water fluid pressure. The water below ground is actually helping to keep the surface soil in place. Groundwater pumping for urban water supply and for irrigation can produce new sinkholes In sinkhole-prone areas. If pumping results in a lowering of ground-water levels, then underground structural failure, and thus, sinkholes, can occur.

+1 more 
link   
If I was the Guatemalan president I would not be hesitating and I would be very proactive in firstly sealing off the area and then sending a scientific team down into that hole with as much publicity, film and photography as possible.

Something about that hole seems off to me almost as if there could be some “answers” to be found down there but not if time stalls and feet get dragged.

Or perhaps I have been on ATS too long because I admit it, a deceased geologist named Schneider came to my mind when I looked at that hole lol

link   
That thing looks like it has no bottom

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Wowzers

I thought I was seeing things at first, any details on how deep it goes?

That thing is amazing.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Well, I'm no geologist, but apparently the earths crust is full of empty spots that 'cause the sinkholes in the first place. It's NOT about hollow earth and it's NOT some alien spaceweapon tested there.

Seriously, the hollow earth theory must be one of the most insane ideas i have ever heard

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Wait wait wait. There is some confusion here. Look, some of these pictures are from this hole, same city, in 2007:

www.cbsnews.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Massive Guatemalan Sink Hole Opens - CBS News 2007

So either CNN has had the wool pulled over their eyes, or something weird is going on in Guatemala?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire
This thread just got S&F'd, i have friends who would already be rolling out the ropes and breaking the snaplights to go exploring.

I was just thinking the same ... then I remembered the movie 'Decent'

It woul be amazing to see what's down there and how far 'down' is.

Woody

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
reply to post by SyphonX

Well, I'm no geologist, but apparently the earths crust is full of empty spots that 'cause the sinkholes in the first place. It's NOT about hollow earth and it's NOT some alien spaceweapon tested there.

Seriously, the hollow earth theory must be one of the most insane ideas i have ever heard

But you have to admit, this is not normal.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Check with the Dharma Inititive, they tend to build hatches that lead to a station where you have to press a button every 108 minutes to save the world.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fb4d18faad85.jpg[/atsimg]

In the part of the picture i've circled Notice how the slabs over hang the hole. This leads me to the conclusion that this hole was created from bottom-up not top-down.

Perhaps theres an underground river system that got flooded due to the storm. Which led to the collapse.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

makes sense, good observation

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Just wanted to throw this out ...

Guatemala is Mayan country, RIGGGGHT?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

plz no 2012 crap -_-