It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical storm leaves more than 115 dead in Central America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tryptych

Well, my reply about hollow Earth theory was in jest. As the hole appears quite alarming, and cavernous, with no end in sight. Also, hollow Earth theory doesn't suggest that we all live on a 200 meter crust of gravel and could all collapse at any moment.

Most sinkholes sink into more dirt, and just leave a large pit. There is a massive cavern here, pitch black against the daylight. What's in there?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Few more pics of this out there:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d760707578a9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf0f763f7b44.jpg[/atsimg]

Those pictures are from the 2007 sinkhole in Guatamala. Not this one. www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 31/5/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Sinkholes can also form when natural water-drainage patterns are changed

I'd say Agatha, and the rain it dumped could have caused this due to the amount of rainfall received.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

But you have to admit, this is not normal.

Why is that? When I look at those other sinkhole pictures, seems very similar, if not identical. Yeah, they are in the the Mayan region, I actually thought about that too.

Nonetheless, terrible for the people. As catastrophes always are

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WARhampster
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

makes sense, good observation

You are right imho its an under ground river that has quickly eroded this hole during the storm the river would swell sweeping the soft sand and mud away until collapse was imminent. we get the same thing but on a smaller scale if there has been a burst underground water pipe in the clay soil it can lead to building collapse.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

Although, if you compare the streets, they're not quite the same. The CNN photo shows the hole opening not-quite center of a four way intersection, with both streets crossing at a right angle. The '07 hole, or the photo that you linked to, didn't occur in the same type of intersection.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Judohawk

I guess in theory if there were storm drains under that intersection and they were broken if the storm dumped enough water it could wash out a hole like that.

Or it could be something else.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
What. The. Heck.

Thats one of the craziest things I've seen come out of a storm. It looks like the result of a very large drill

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Good find OP!

This would be a good time to use infrared/night vision/regular cameras to see how far down the sink hole goes. Research it & see if there's anything interesting down there.

Perhaps use mini-drones/helicopters w/ camera's attatched. Not that expensive to do. Send an RC toy w/ a camera attatched to it, if you have too...

I would also double check & make sure there aren't more in that town.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

Great digging up [no pun intended] of old images!

I was just about to post that I figured Bush did it......

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks for the post!

I wanna see what's down there! Maybe that's where Osama's been hiding.

Peace

[edit on 31-5-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Just wanted to throw this out ...

Guatemala is Mayan country, RIGGGGHT?

wow if your right. we have no idea what could be built under there.
I hope they send a team down, if they do i want to see it "live streamed"

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
man some one call the fantastic 4 now the silver surfer is back.
4 or 5 more holes like this and the planet eating entity will be here to devower the earth.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Hey there Donnie ... when you mention the Maya are you thinking along the lines of Cenotes *sp like the ones peppered around the Yucatan Peninula ???

Because you could be onto something

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the geology of Central and South America to know if this is a possibility.

>>>Yucatan Cenote

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Is it just me or do these pictures NOT jive?

Blue wall has garage. No building with a brown roof.

Blue wall has awning, is in a different spot. Building with brown roof is visible.

Just to start. I don't know, maybe I've finally lost it but there seems something is amiss here.

[edit on 5/31/2010 by TheLoony]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
They are called Cenotes down there, base jumpers leap into them like madmen.

Source Wikipedia

Cenotes-cilíndricos (Cylinder cenotes) are those with strictly vertical walls;

I really cannot understand the geological processes that would allow for (seemingly) symmetric deep straight walled sinkholes like this. Any geo-heads out there who can enlighten us?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I found another view of the same hole on ABC News.

topics.abcnews.go.com...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

Hey there Donnie ... when you mention the Maya are you thinking along the lines of Cenates *sp like the ones peppered around the Yucatan Peninula ???

Because you could be onto something

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the geology of Central and South America to know if this is a possibility.

Woody

Hey. yes they live all around that area. i wonder if this does tie in with 2012.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
That part of the world has lots of underground water systems and aquifers...moving water down there could eventually erode land and then what is above it will eventually give away. Just a guess.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Okay, I think it is important to clarify that there are two different sink holes being shown in this thread.

The first image provided by the OP, and the close-up of the cops near the hole are the current one.

The other two pics provided showing the arial images with the tree in it is a different one from 2007.

They are obviously different. The tree is the big clue, but if you study them you can see they have different buildings and as someone else already pointed out, the streets are different.

SO...this means that there are now two of these in the same region whithin 3 years of each other?

When I first saw the OPS post, I figured it HAD to have been photo-shopped. I still can't quite wrap my brain around the fact that it is real.

The sides appear to be symetrical....the buildings looked as if they were sheared off right were the edge of the hole is....amazing. I too would like to know how deep it is....this is unlike most of the sink-holes that I have ever seen.

S & F.....this needs to be investigated if not for a surrealstic explanation, but perhaps to avoid building over areas that would be prone to have this happen. I have to think that this is connected somehow to the volcanic activity....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join