It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Separate Studies Conclude: Atheism = Peace, Religiosity = Higher Sociological Problems

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Any group that gathers together for "same belief" - - can be preyed upon and politically manipulated.

Although there are some Atheist groups - - - they are far and few between.

Atheists are far less likely to be manipulated to commit any act they are not willing to take personal responsibility for.

Yes very true. That dude keeps on talking about communists. Its hard to get through his thick skull of his. Anyway why are they coming to discuss when they dont want to listen , atleast read and digest what others are telling...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I don't really get this whole " if an atheist does it it's not because of atheism it's because of *insert reason here* but when theists do it it is because they are doing it for their god" double standard. And there is no debating it with these people either. They will insist endlessly that atheism is the lesser of two evils instead of being humble and admitting that people have used their favored ideology to commit immoral acts JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER BELIEF SYSTEM SINCE THE DAWN OF MAN. But oh wait they " don't have beliefs" .

Christ, what an illogical stance. How can anyone honestly argue for either side?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Athesists always seem to come off as elitist or proclaim themselves as intellectually superior and of a stronger mind. Spewing off dribble that suggests religious people are weak minded.

I really don't get it.

You know, there are people who actually believe in God or Allah or whatever, not because they are weak or intellectually inferior, but because they just believe.

I am reminded somehow of the movie Equilibrium, where emotion is thought to be the route of all the worlds conflict. therefore it becomes outlawed (emotions). All things that provoke emotion are systematically destroyed bringing peace to the world.........

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

When and where?

And don't tell me Communists again.

Why not because you don't like the awnser?

Let me give you another example, african warlords. People who were kidnapped as children and grew up without any spiritual teaching. They were, and still are taught to believe in materialism, to kill or be killed.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by PowerSlave
Athesists always seem to come off as elitist or proclaim themselves as intellectually superior and of a stronger mind. Spewing off dribble that suggests religious people are weak minded.

I'm fine with Atheists. But I don't think I have ever met one in person. At least not one that introduced them self to me and said: "by the way I'm an Atheist".

Please - tell me how you meet all these intelligent superior Atheists.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

i get the feeling you are a red blooded american patriot type if so i must say this
it seems you hate communism
is communism itself realy that bad?
ifso why?
also i feel if you are the type of person i feel you are then you have been influenced from many years of american propoganda
and i believe you said earlier that teh studies were athiest propoganda.
whats up with that?
if you are not that kind of person then i apologize.
but anyway what makes you say that the studies are propoganda?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Please - tell me how you meet all these intelligent superior Atheists.

Annee, what is this claimed "reseach" about?...

Isn't it about "atheism = peace"?...

Atheists think themselves as being superior because to them those who believe in any sort of spiritualism are backward and uneducated...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Has anyone else noticed the "aggressiveness" and "line drawing" of the religious crowed in this thread?

Remarkable.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The way I see it is:

If one can open their minds and think out side of the way others think, and be accepted by others, then there is no conflict.
It doesn't take too long to figure things out once you are taught exactly what things cause and affect. But the education is controversial when you put faith into the mix.

*edit*Fixed spelling errors

[edit on 31-5-2010 by theuhstuf]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by chaosinorder

Yes very true. That dude keeps on talking about communists. Its hard to get through his thick skull of his.

I like talk shows. I listen to them when I can.

I remember one show with a man who had lived and grown up in Communist Russia. He said: "they can deny us places of worship - - but they can't control our thoughts."

And that's it. The Communist leaders - like Caesar - were trying to Be the Gods. But you can't take a belief away from someone. They may have to keep that belief hidden - but it can't be taken away. Its kind of like what's going on in the Middle East. You CAN NOT force people to give up their culture.

Communism was/is the politics. Atheism is a belief. You can not force a belief - - any more then you can deny a belief.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90

i get the feeling you are a red blooded american patriot type if so i must say this
it seems you hate communism
is communism itself realy that bad?
ifso why?
also i feel if you are the type of person i feel you are then you have been influenced from many years of american propoganda
and i believe you said earlier that teh studies were athiest propoganda.
whats up with that?
if you are not that kind of person then i apologize.
but anyway what makes you say that the studies are propoganda?

Actually I was born in Cuba.. One of the many Communist dictatorships around the world. In Cuba, like in all other Communist dictatorships religion and all forms of spirituality were abolished.

Children, including me, have been, and continue to be brainwashed and indoctrinated into believing that Communism is supreme and it is an utopia...

I lived and experienced Communism, the atheist belief which Karl Marx and so many others, apparently including yourself, belief is so perfect and humanist...

The study is propaganda because atheism has murdered more people in the 19th and 20th century than what all religions, and even world wars and other conflicts combined have done.

There are also so called "research" that shows that black people are less intelligent than white people... which is nothing more than another form of propaganda, in this case white supremacist propaganda...

There are other so called "research" which are used to try to push for a particular belief, or another... and the ones found at the op is nothing but propaganda to try to push for atheism...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Let me give you another example, african warlords. People who were kidnapped as children and grew up without any spiritual teaching. They were, and still are taught to believe in materialism, to kill or be killed.

So God has to be taught.

Having spiritual faith is not inherent in God's creation - - - but must be taught by man?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Now let's see, thread started at 13:18 and last posting to thread was 18:00 (less than five hours). Has anybody really read the document referenced? What I see hear is both Christians and atheists "shooting from the hip". No one can tell me that they read Gregory Paul's thesis and looked at his conclusions in that time frame. Also my scan of the postings indicate that none are referencing the paper "The Chronic Dependence of Popular Religiosity upon Dysfunctional Psychosociological Conditions" with any form of criticism about its statistics, data collection, definitions, or conclusions. Yours truly has downloaded the thesis and is reading that for a critique. An initial scan of the paper has raised some critical questions on my part. However it will take a average person from 4 to 8 hours to read and analyze the thesis (44 pages).

[edit on 31-5-2010 by jagdflieger]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Actually I was born in Cuba.. One of the many Communist dictatorships around the world. In Cuba, like in all other Communist dictatorships religion and all forms of spirituality were abolished.

Children, including me, have been, and continue to be brainwashed and indoctrinated into believing that Communism is supreme and it is an utopia...

I lived and experienced Communism, the atheist belief which Karl Marx and so many others, apparently including yourself, belief is so perfect and humanist...

Have you seen the movie Jesus Camp? Those are real people who vote in this country.

The "Pledge of Allegiance" - including "under God" is mandatory in most public schools in America - - starting with Kindergarten.

If you don't think kids in this country aren't being brain washed and indoctrinated - - think again.

Fortunately - - Atheists and others can fight these indoctrinations in our court system.

Communism is the politics.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Annee]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
Has anyone else noticed the "aggressiveness" and "line drawing" of the religious crowed in this thread?

Remarkable.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by RestingInPieces]

thank you for pointing that out
i notice that to
i think the reason is doubt, or their raising their mental walls against something they dont want to hear.
i dont recall the thread actually bad mouthing religious people just pointing out some things, whats so offensive about that?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

So God has to be taught.

Having spiritual faith is not inherent in God's creation - - - but must be taught by man?

So I am talking about spirituality in general and you claim I am talking about God...

BTW, if a person has no real definition on what spirituality is how can they learn from their own experiences?...

For example, in today's for the most part secular society, where if a person has any sort of spiritual experience, such as visions, that person is immediately labeled as being "psychotic", or having some sort of mental illness, or chemical imbalance.

This is the exact same thing that happens, or has happened in atheist nations such as Cuba.

What do you think such a particular person will grow up to believe if the entire indoctrination that person goes through is materialistic?...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

And Atheism not only tries to destroy religions, but any sense of spirituality within individuals.

Since when?

If anything since I've become an atheist I'm more "spiritual", I feel far more connected and at peace within the Universe.

I'm not sure there are a great deal of atheists who want to utterly destroy religion. I'd like to keep religion around, I think it has some useful aspects, but I do think we need to destroy FUNDAMENTALISM and EXTREMISM, you know the folks that go around saying they're gonna blow up abortion clinics or claim that the Noah's ark story is historical fact.

Seems to me that you've neither spoken to any atheists nor done any research outside of empty religious propaganda.

As for the OP:

A great post, I starred and flagged it a while back. Lack of belief does not mean being an amoral or suddenly sinful group and these studies prove that.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
Now let's see, thread started at 13:18 and last posting to thread was 18:00 (less than five hours). Has anybody really read the document referenced? What I see hear is both Christians and atheists "shooting from the hip". No one can tell me that they read Gregory Paul's thesis and looked at his conclusions in that time frame.

Logic prevails is my answer. When you can weigh logic against logic there will be peace.

To me there is no logic in fighting over "my god is better then your god" - - and setting yourself up to be a political "group pawn".

I read parts - - will go read again.

NOW I REMEMBER - - I CAN'T GET THE LINKS TO WORK

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Annee]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

i stand corrected

any corrupt government or religion will tell you that

i would just like to point out communism is communism athiesm is athiesm
what you say is like saying democracy is christian, it is not
however communism has athiest ideals in it
and democracy has christian ideals in it as well
but lateley both have been very corrupt, its not the fault of the governments or religions themselves, just the leaders.

The study is propaganda because atheism has murdered more people in the 19th and 20th century than what all religions, and even world wars and other conflicts combined have done.
i would like to see some research of that

There are also so called "research" that shows that black people are less intelligent than white people... which is nothing more than another form of propaganda, in this case white supremacist propaganda...
i really wouldnt know anything about that im not a rascist but it could be true who knows? i mean long ago everyone was black then a certain grup evolved into white people

There are other so called "research" which are used to try to push for a particular belief, or another... and the ones found at the op is nothing but propaganda to try to push for atheism...

i dont think so i think hes just stating an observation

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Have you seen the movie Jesus Camp? Those are real people who vote in this country.

The "Pledge of Allegiance" - including "under God" is mandatory in most public schools in America - - starting with Kindergarten.

If you don't think kids in this country aren't being brain washed and indoctrinated - - think again.

Fortunately - - Atheists and others can fight these indoctrinations in our court system.

Communism is the politics.

Communism is not only politics, but it is set to define everything that people must believe in.

BTW, you might disagree with it but the United States was founded in the principle that a creator exists, and he has given every person certain inalienable rights, including the right to choose their own religion. But this gives no right to atheists to make the nation and everyone in it an atheist...

Likewise these days freedom of speech is being used by certain groups to try to restrict the freedom of speech of others, and including to destroy the Republic and make it into something it was never meant to be.

BTW, I have seen what atheists are trying to do, and it has nothing to do with freedom to choose your religion...it has everything to do with making the entire nation secular/atheist.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join