It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone watching the BP spill feed- confirm?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

They say its a 70% chance that it will work. It doesnt even work all the time on land and shallow water

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bpg131313

There are screen captures in this thread a page or two back. It literally turned into an explosion before BP cut that feed. It was big. Interesting news from this possible source.

I thought it was a 40% chance?

[edit on 25-5-2010 by The Theorist]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

As to being 'live' I will with hold judgment. Until a few hours age the video had time stamps, now there are none.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PresumedInnocent

No, this is live. Yesterdays didn't have a time-stamp, either. The time stamped one was a different camera altogether. This one is one of the robotic ones that BP is using to conduct repairs.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This song right here helps me calm down my nerves , I been listening to it for hours , It makes me relax while the oil keeps pumping in the gulf

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Theorist
reply to post by bpg131313

There are screen captures in this thread a page or two back. It literally turned into an explosion before BP cut that feed. It was big. Interesting news from this possible source.

I thought it was a 40% chance?

[edit on 25-5-2010 by The Theorist]

I agree with the 40% chance; They just said on CNN its a 70%; Its hard to believe them

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The riser pipe with the oil coming out is warming the frozen methane which is why there is a crater. This oil and gas is coming from 13,000 feet under the ground under alot of pressure and heat. Also the reason they drilled in this area is because it's at the edge of a massive oil deposit in the gulf. They didn't want to go further because they knew they wouldn't be able to handle the pressure from the main body of the deposit. They are talking that the deposit has potentially tens of billions of barrels of oil in it. The oil is slowly and possibly already erroding the pipe in the hole, and if it does that it has the potential to errode the hole wider. This would be like a slowly evolving sink hole wiith oil coming out at ever increasing volumes.

What hit me was that I saw on ABC that they went into the gulf in toxic dry suits to dive to see what it looked like and it was horrible. Vast plumes under the sea that isn't being seen from the surface. Another video was of schools of fish actually coming to the surface of the water in the ocean trying to get air to breath since the oxygen content isn't enough in the water for them to filter (we haven't heard anymore from the NOA scientists about looking for more vast plumes under the gulf and also oxygen depletion that they said was 30% lower). The Gulf is turning into a dead area and soon it will be the shoreline and possibly the fresh water inland (someone wrote on a blog that it may be possible that microscopic bits of oil and contaminate could evaporate with the water and get picked up with the rain and spoil inland, I don't know I haven't researched it). What I do know is that this has the potential to be a killer for the American economy and our hemisphere (possibly the atlantic also since the oil may possibly follow the gulf current to the europe which acts as a circulatory system for the planet bringing food and warm water to cold areas).

And for the people who think that they might use a nuke, that is dangerous. For one it might exacerbate the problem even more by not closing the hole but making it bigger. And two, setting off a powerful explosion 500 tons being the smallest nuke we have what will it do to the other rigs deepwater and not. The concusion wave from the blast traveling through the water and the ocean floor may damage their caped or in use deep wells and they may start to leak from fractures. One guest said on chris mathews last night that it could leak from that hole for 9,000 days (if you don't believe it look at the oil wells that have been producing year after year after year for over a decade or more.).

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux
I have very bad feelings. This is such a catastrophic event and your President and much other people don't seem to realize what is happening here. They are still talking about money and Korea...

...while earth will die inf front of our closed eyes. This is so sad, maybe the worst moment in our civilization and everybody is ignoring the reality. Please God, kill us all! Save Earth! Thanks! -

I have to puke and cry about us - human. What a farce!

While it's not a great thing, stop acting so doom and gloom. The Earth has been through far worse things than this and survived. Life will go on, albeit with things changed for the worse in the local area.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Texas Tea for ALL. If I get some investors, Ill personally collect the oil, then we will profit. Seriously though this is brutal. It seems to be half a**ed covered by the msm, but most people that I talk to don't seem to realize just how bad this is. Even if it were to be stopped today, there would still be large repercussions on the environment. I can only imagine what the results will be if it continues, or if it starts to collapse the surrounding sea floor. Does anyone know how far down this oil deposit goes? Is there some kind of X ray scan that can be done?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The deepest well in the world is 40k below the surface - sea level. (Drilled on land)
www.gi.alaska.edu...
The Russians were able to tap this and is believed that the field supplies shallower fields above them. However they have to deal with an unheard of amount of pressure at the well head with the source coming from such a great depth. They have had to resort to the use of nuclear devices in order to cover up failed attempts at harnessing the pressure. Which is why that was on the table and still is as an option...

It is very possible that BP was attempting to drill or operate a well that goes to these depths but 5k ft below the water surface! This article below gives very clear motive for doing so...
"Transocean Ltd. (RIG), the largest offshore drilling rig contractor, saw its revenue from ultra-deepwater drilling jump 32% to $890 million during the fourth quarter from the same period last year. In contrast, revenue from its jackup rigs, which drill shallow water fields, fell 40% to $422 million. The company, which posted earnings Wednesday, said all of its rigs that can drill at depths greater than 7,500 feet are booked through 2010, even though more than 40% of its jackup rig fleet is idle."
"Transocean's new ultra-deepwater drilling rig GSF Development Driller III, which can drill to a depth of 35,000 feet, went to work on a seven-year contract with oil giant BP plc. (BP) in the Gulf of Mexico. Although the exact terms of the rig contract were not disclosed, average day rates for the Transocean's ultra-deepwater rig fleet are $486,200, up about 15% from the previous year."
www.rigzone.com...

If they were indeed operating a well or attempting to operate a well at those depths and now something gone terribly wrong, it is no wonder they have no clue what to do........

Or maybe its not that at all and the competition got a little irritated at seeing their market share being impeded on

[edit on 25-5-2010 by d3ftronix]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
With BP bringing out the big guns tomorrow morning in hopes of sealing up these leaks, it has occurred to me that once they try this, and fail, we could be looking at an outcome unlike anything we've seen before. So this has to be asked. Who is looking at worst case scenarios for what happens should BP fail? We've seen speculation here (including from myself) but I'd like to know what the folks with Ph. D's. behind their name think about this. I'm just a simple firefighter, and don't know all of the details. I'm just wondering if there are think tanks out there crunching the numbers on just how bad this thing could get. We've heard about oil wrapping around Florida and going up he east coast, we've heard about hurricanes sending that oil all over the land, and we've heard about the oxygen depletion and kill-offs of marine life.

I'm just wondering if there are people out there looking at this in a worst-case-scenario perspective, and what that might be. It's something we as the human race need to start thinking about. That's just my two cents.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

George Carlin once said: The Earth will heal itself and cleanse itself because that's what it does. It's a self-correcting system.

I guarantee hundreds, if not thousands of people will die because of this correction...... and man is responsible for this one.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
[edit on 25-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Throughout the extended top kill procedure – which may take up to two days to complete - very significant changes in the appearance of the flows at the seabed may be expected. These will not provide a reliable indicator of the overall progress, or success or failure, of the top kill operation as a whole. BP will report on the progress of the operation as appropriate and on its outcome when complete.

This was just added to the bottom of the feed from the BP page. Guess they realized more people saw the truth than expected. It started way earlier today, I'd say a good 5 hours ago maybe even earlier.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
If the top kill attempt fails they will continue to drill the relief well in attempt to cut off the supply to the damaged well.

If all else fails, I think they will try the top hat system maybe this time they will figure out a way to keep the ice from clogging it up.

If worse comes to worse and the hole keeps getting bigger they will have to build a bigger containment box. It might not stop all the oil, but if they can set it over the flow and then they can start pumping.

However, they still wont have a proper blow out preventer in place.

[edit on 5/25/2010 by Sparky63]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
LOL the ROV grasping thing close up looked like a dragon..and all I could think was 'Om nom nom nom nom' when it was grabbing the bolt ROFL

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The video stream from BP's web site is showing alot of interesting work being done by the robot arms.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Crazy precision going on right now! Look at that zoom!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It seems like they're tightening bolts in preparation. And having trouble.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
What exactly is it doing? It totally just dropped a bolt... haha. When it removed the bolt a few mins ago a huge plume of I guess Methane??? came out and it looked crazy. I thought something serious might be happening lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join