It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US cartoonist apologises over Facebook Muhammad row

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

US cartoonist apologises over Facebook Muhammad row

news.bbc.co.uk

Molly Norris drew a cartoon in April to protest against the decision by a US television channel to cancel an episode of the popular show South Park because of a contentious depiction of the Prophet Muhammad.

In her cartoon, Ms Norris satirically proposed May 20 as an Everybody Draw Muhammad Day.

The idea inspired a separate Everybody Draw Muhammad Day group on Facebook which rapidly gained in popularity.

The page contains drawings and cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad and characters from other
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.metro.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pakistan blocks access to YouTube in internet crackdown

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
First of all I don't think this cartoonist has anything to apologies for. I am glad she took a stand in her own way against the television channel for caving in on the episode that has Muhammad in it. I do not like that the television channel did not have the stones to air the episode as it was made. I hope they will some day make the un censored version available.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
She probably was threatened with her job and her life and/or bodily harm.
Muslims are vicious and unrelenting if someone offends that pedophile muhhamad.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I think the sobering reality of being threatened to death by these Islamic fanatics is enough to get anyone back-peddling. They definitely want to kill her and will probably try to kill her at any opportunity they can.

Who would think that something as silly as a cartoon could get a group of people all ants-in-the-pants.

Personally, we need to question and criticize religion when it poses such oppression towards our freedoms. More so when not believing or questioning warrants death. You know there is something very Godless about that irrational and insane belief.

That God wants you to "kill" the unbeliever... if that was so, God simply would not have created the person in the first place. Total rubbish!

Instead, it's all about power, control and politics... very little to do about God, just another exploitation of the idea of God for some political agenda.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by YouAreDreaming]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
IMO the sobering reality is Facebook paid her off to recant. Especially after all the trouble they've had lately and then Pakistan banning Facebook.

Any fear mongering misguided and ignorant people who don't know the difference between the 'Believers' (of ANY faith) and 'Extremists' will have something else to say I'm sure.

peace

[edit on 21-5-2010 by silo13]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
She probably was threatened with her job and her life and/or bodily harm.
Muslims are vicious and unrelenting if someone offends that pedophile muhhamad.

Here we go again with the bashing of "all" Muslims and the entirety of Islam over the actions of few.

How sad that the propaganda has affected so many.

No, she had NOTHING to apologize for, but she probably was threatened by her employers because of the fear created and allowed to prosper my our leaders on this issue.

Censoring comedy is IMO a defining moment in the decline of any civilization.

To continue my point above however,

How can members of ATS who are suppose to be free thinkers and "aware" of their surroundings be so jaded?

You realize that these sorts of things, religion, race and many more, are simply used as tools of division and control right?

So why pander to them? We know for a fact they are ALL artificial.

Most muslims are loving, wonderful people like you and I.

~Keeper

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

They may find a cartoon offensive, but personally I find murdering Infidels far more horrific.

www.mnnonline.org...

Christians in Baghdad and other areas to "leave the country of Muslims (Iraq) for good and immediately in the form of mass transmigration." It continues: "You can follow Pope Benedict XVI and his followers who have disfigured humanity and Islam," the letter said. "There's no more room for you, infidels, among the Iraqi Muslims. Our swords shall be placed upon your necks and the necks of your followers and other Christians residing in Mosul."

And there are too many cases where Muslims do kill and murder for this bloody and violent religion people who are not of that faith... just for that very reason of being an Infidel.

But that's not something we can criticism or question because they think it's acceptable and permitted by the will of Allah. What rubbish. I'm totally offended those murderous acts.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

They may find a cartoon offensive, but personally I find murdering Infidels far more horrific.

Yeah well I kind of found the Inquisition pretty disgusting...

Anyway, read Tothetenthpower's reply - Eloquent and spot on that post and I couldn't agree more.

peace

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming

Personally, we need to question and criticize religion when it poses such oppression towards our freedoms. More so when not believing or questioning warrants death. You know there is something very Godless about that irrational and insane belief.

That God wants you to "kill" the unbeliever... if that was so, God simply would not have created the person in the first place. Total rubbish!

Instead, it's all about power, control and politics... very little to do about God, just another exploitation of the idea of God for some political agenda.

Some of best words I have seen around hear in a long time Dreaming.
I hope people will take notice to what you said. I agree that we need to keep questioning anything that will take away any freedom. Because anything take takes away freedom is about other people keeping power.
stared

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Yeah well I kind of found the Inquisition pretty disgusting...

Anyway, read Tothetenthpower's reply - Eloquent and spot on that post and I couldn't agree more.

peace

I agree with Tothetenthpower's post, and I agree that the Inquisition was also totally horrific. The inhumane acts of people against others because of a religious belief is terrifying.

I'm not saying other religions are also innocent and without bloody hands. My point is what gives them a right to cry about a cartoon when they think it's ok to murder people who don't believe in their rubbish?

What's more offensive?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Update

A bid by a Muslim group in South Africa to stop the publication of a cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad has failed.

The drawing by Jonathan Shapiro, known as Zapiro, shows the prophet on a psychiatrist's couch bemoaning his followers' sense of humour failure.

He drew it in response to a Facebook group inviting drawings of the Prophet Muhammad, which prompted Pakistan to ban the website for being "un-Islamic".

Zapiro told the BBC he did not want to be "cowed into submission"bbc

All right SA government, and keep it up cartoonist!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I went looking for the Facebook page but it appears to have been removed. Why is it that people bend over for a group crying intolerance over a cartoon.

Cartoon's DON'T kill people, radicalized Muslims do.

I fully support anyone wanting to speak their mind freely about the immorality and hateful beliefs endorsed by Islam. I don't support murder or religions that endorse it.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Dreaming
again good words. Be sure to spread that philosophy where ever you go. Would like to think maby it will catch on.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

It's more just letting off steam because I personally value human life and freedom and totally despise totalitarian control and oppression. Once Islam takes over your Government and Legal System... it's game over. This makes it a political movement and more dangerous then Communism in my opinion.

Some seem to think that it's ok to just let it take over because who are we to question other people's beliefs. If we don't like it, we can ... die by the sword?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Dreaming
well you are letting off steam in a very well mannered and constructive manor

I agree with what you are saying about it being game over if religious fundamentalist take over. I fear it will be game over for any amount of freedom.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well another example of money talks and BS walk, anything for money I wonder if for the right amount of money the US cartoonist would publicly become a Mohamed lover and change his religion to Islam, just to make the "other" side happy and collect some money too.

I remember when the US used to have free speech, oops I forgot most media in America is owned by big private interest and Saudi is one of them.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by marg6043]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I am, to this day, appalled that the following is true:

Step 1. Draw a stick figure,

Step 2. Write the word "Muhammad" somewhere close to the stick figure,

Step 3. Warning, you are now a criminal under theosophic law.

There is something extraordinarily obtuse about extending this community's dogmatic restriction upon those who, technically speaking, don't answer to them; nor to their religious chain of command.

But then, we humans are infamous for callously imposing our own doctrines on our neighbors, aren't we?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marg
we don't really know it was money that made her apologize for her role in draw Mohamed day. All we really know is she did apologizes. And I am glad to see it seems everybody is saying she had nothing to apologize for.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Free speech?

Go to a Nazi rally and condemn Hitler

Or a Klan rally and condemn David Duke

Or a Tea Party Rally and spit on the flag

If you are isolated at those locations it is a certainty someone their will attack you

Just 40 years ago black men were lynched in the south for just looking at a white woman

So the western world is only 40 years ahead of the Muslim world, right?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/07d90f9acf95.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join