It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to conquer Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I figure this topic belongs here. For one, Space Exploration is the forum that I visit and lurk the most. Secondly, the content of this article has major implications in future space exploration.

I found this article to be very interesting. There's all kinds of research to be done after you read it. Militarizing space isn't anything new but, now "they" are really pushing the idea.

It's not as if things aren't bad enough right here on planet earth.

What with multiple wars and occupations, an accelerating economic meltdown, corporate malfeasance and environmental catastrophes such as the petroleum-fueled apocalypse in the Gulf of Mexico, I'd say we have a full plate already.

Now the Defense Department wants to up the stakes with new, destabilizing weapons systems that will transform low- and high-earth orbit into another "battlespace," pouring billions into programs to achieve what Air Force Space Command (AFSPC) has long dreamed of: "space dominance."

www.blacklistednews.com...

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

edit on Thu May 13 2010 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
My question is;

Would the American government be arrogant enough to claim any resources we might find in space? Just to ensure that space war?

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hivethink

"US to conquer Space..."

...as long as we don't have to actually send anyone there, because if we do we'll have to bum a ride from the Russians.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The only way that I would approve of increasing military presence in space... is that they begin with launching a fleet of C-57D cruisers from 1956 "Forbidden Planet" movie - to patrol other star systems! And provide a civilian space colonization program with the anti-gravity/hyperspace technology, to mass-produce 1965 Jupiter 2's from "Lost In Space" for civilian inter-stellar colonizing ships.

But, if they just want to dominate the Earth... then they can shove it!

[edit on 5/13/2010 by Larryman]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saint Exupery

"US to conquer Space..."

...as long as we don't have to actually send anyone there, because if we do we'll have to bum a ride from the Russians.

Haha. Noted.

I found this all very interesting. Off topic a bit but wouldn't the Russians contest America's claim that they sent men to space first? The political implications are many.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I found this all very interesting. Off topic a bit but wouldn't the Russians contest America's claim that they sent men to space first? The political implications are many.

The US does not claim to have sent the first men into space.
The world acknowledges the fact that the first man in space was Yuri Gagarin, in 1961. Followed by Gherman Titov, the first man to experience space sickness.

[edit on 5/13/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Could America just claim the moon as theirs as they were only ones to ever go there, but never return...? or did the Russians ever send a cosmonaut up there?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by denynothing

No.
The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 prohibits it.

Article II

Outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means.

en.wikisource.org...

Russia (nor the Soviet Union) landed a man on the Moon.

[edit on 5/13/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage... does "celestial bodies" in that Article II also include asteroids? Lots of talk about mining asteroids.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I fastest I ever heard a ship might go is 300 miles per second.
Even with that there is another thread the says it would take a
long time to traverse the galaxy.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Asteroids would be considered celestial bodies but there is nothing in the treaty regarding mining or other exploitation of resources. It says than no nation can claim a celestial body as its own.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think we should send Obama, right away he could be the Prince of Space....

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
I think we should send Obama, right away he could be the Prince of Space....

The Emperor of the Moon is not impressed.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Maybe this is why the aliens hate us....

new topics

top topics

join