It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Just more propaganda against his opponents getting their messeges out...in his mind they are not worth considering or hearing, naturally cause his metaphysical speculations have more value cause he can use the monopoly of force to make people believe in them, therefore anyone that advocates non-violence and opposes him obviously ruffles his feathers more than anything else, and most certainly he would like to trivialize them and turn their ideas into "tabloid" like info.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Obama prefers ipod over zune

thefreedomfactory.us...

He's funny.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
What a crybaby! The very phenomenon that got him elected he's now wahhhhing because the media powers that be don't tow his party line. Seriously, kind of a crybaby.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by justinsweatt]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Did people read the article?
He was saying that main stream news is becoming more entertainment than news. And that education is an importiant tool in seperating fact from fiction, which i think is very true.
Take ATS for instance a well thought out thread covering an importiant topic way get 2 flags and 5 replies, another thread saying obama is a reptilian agent and the OP is an undercover alien from the future would get tons of replies and 100 flags.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

www.google.com

US President Barack Obama lamented Sunday that in the iPad and Xbox era, information had become a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy, in his latest critique of modern media.
"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/9/2010 by semperfortis]

surely he should be accusing apple of overpricing basic products that have a shelf life of no more than a year or so, or maybe how badly run company's like apple or virgin media are? not the fact that you can get useful information from them. and here i thought he was supposed to be smarter than the last one? although it doesn't surprise me that he wouldn't be able to use his ipod apple has made the worst media system in existence. itunes is a Pauling the whole setup and usability of it is so complex and strung out i would be surprised if Steven hawking could use it to it's full potential. all apple is good for is not getting viruses it can't do music ,it cant do games and it cant do video, you ever tried watching stuff online with an ipod touch or iphone? you have no chance the only thing that consistently works with it is youtube even then i get messages saying that "this video format is non compatible with ipod". and the fact that he doesn't know how to use an exbox or ps3? blatant lie i'm sure he and bush have had many a battle on halo3 or cod,mod2 XD

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Who is to decide what is "fact" and what is "fiction"? The world has had a number of political and human rights disasters because there were governments who decided what the truth is and was.

Political spin is all about perception and reference. Its about tailoring a statement inclusive of those things that support the inference/statement and or opinion. That process is jeopardized by the current ability that people have to do their own fact checking.

Yes, there is a bunch of trash out there. Some of it has grains of truth in it and to the extent that you are looking at trash and it drives you to do further research on a topic and discover legitimate facts, the trash was a good thing. If you simply accept the trash as gospel, you're a fool and your opinions are likely to be discredited on a number of levels.

Many if not most of the folks on ATS have read wild threads about topics that they were ignorant of and then took a bit of time to do some independant research and learn more thoroughly about the topic. I know I have and its one of the things I like the most about this site. If you use the knowledge and experience of the members and then do a bit of work on your own, you can expand your knowledge considerably.

Like Jack Nicholson said in "A Few Good Men":

"Truth? You can't handle the truth!"

Most organization don't think you can handle the truth. Governments at any level, corporations, chuches, none of them. All organizations have agendas and all of those are slowed down by uncomfortable facts.

I have faith in folks and think our system of government is best served by folks who understand the truth and the truth is usually more complex as it seems. The truth is typically in the middle and it is what folks don't tell you that is often more important than what they do tell you. To learn what they are not telling you requires some work and if trash points you in the right direction, good for the trash.

We can handle the truth and the massive amount of information available to us, including the trash makes it more likely that intelligent people are going to wind up with it rather than taking the spin doctors comments to the bank.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

To restate this: "I don't understand new technology, therefor it is evil, and wrong for any American that does."

Actually, I think he is saying "You are all to stupid to decide which information is correct and which idea's are good or bad, so we need to do that for you".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24a9b14412c7.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Did people read the article?
He was saying that main stream news is becoming more entertainment than news. And that education is an importiant tool in seperating fact from fiction, which i think is very true.
Take ATS for instance a well thought out thread covering an importiant topic way get 2 flags and 5 replies, another thread saying obama is a reptilian agent and the OP is an undercover alien from the future would get tons of replies and 100 flags.

Yeah, I read it and seeing as how the Obama administration might be the most secretive administration since the Nixon administration, I find his criticisms to be exactly what they are: crocodile tears. His administration has deflected many, many important issues and has been quite obstructionist with Civil Liberties.

Some one pass that cry baby some kleenex.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Taking the ex-president of the Fed and making him the right-hand man to the president of the US is more destructive to democracy than any i pod. Or any x box.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

In the mid-1970s, under Mengistu's leadership, the Derg regime began an aggressive program of changing Ethiopia's system from a mixed feudo-capitalist emergent economy to an eastern bloc style command economy. Shortly after coming to power, all rural land was nationalized, stripping the Ethiopian Church, the Imperial family and the nobility of all their sizable estates and the bulk of their wealth. During this same period, all foreign-owned and locally owned companies were nationalized without compensation in an effort to redistribute the country's wealth. All undeveloped urban property and all rental property was also nationalized. Private businesses such as banks and insurance companies, large retail businesses, etc were also taken over by the government. All this nationalized property was brought under the administration of large bureaucracies set up to administer them. Farmers who had once worked on land owned by absentee landlords were now compelled to join collective farms. All agricultural products were no longer to be offered on the free market, but were to be controlled and distributed by the government. Despite progressive agricultural reforms, under the Derg, agricultural output suffered due to civil war, drought and misguided economic policies.

There is no way the above could happen in America. Or could it?
The idea is total control. We are watching the systematic reversal of freedom cloaked as the greater good for all.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It seems that Mr. Obama's speechwriters, or perhaps even himself, believe that because a thing can be a distraction therefore it is.

I have a challenge to any who believe the internet is a threat to our democracy within a republic.....

What means to you know of to engender the essential element of all such governments .... a well-informed public... other than the internet (and perhaps books published before 1960?)

I suggest word of mouth is no substitute.. that would seem to include you, Mr. President. I don't know whether this is funny or simply sad.

When the overriding object of public media is to sell and consume; it requires a community to restore it to it's rightful purpose.

I suppose it is to be expected that our self-appointed intelligentsia will exclude everyone but themselves from being able to draw reasoned conclusions and clear inquiry into their own undertakings.... But the political parties from which many of them hail are supposed to be "us" aren't they?

The glamor and allure of the beautiful people and celebrities telling us "how things are" seems to be waning.... that's a good thing.

PS - Just because your having trouble keeping up with the 24/7 information world, doesn't mean it's bad. Society will develop the skills to cope... it just may not be in accordance with the 'wisdom' you all seem to be intent on 'selling' us.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
WOW..wanna know whats so great about the net? One can pull up Technology quotes from Obama himself! Seems he was going to be our 1st digital President, with the latest technology by his side in the White House...The man is a two faced LIAR..he was then, and is now..

www.computerweekly.com...

Computerweekly.com rounds up some of the things Obama has said about technology thus far:

"I'll change the posture of our federal government from being one of the most anti-science administrations in American history to one that embraces science and technology."

REALLY Mr. President??? Is that what happened to NASA??

Obama said if elected his government would "harness technology to confront the biggest challenges that America faces".

In another year with him in office the above will say..."ban technology to confront the biggest challenges that I face" (the TRUTH)
He's a Trojan Horse..plain and simple...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
His advisors tell and give him statistics on who votes. then give him a poll and statistic on what they think of devices like ipods, ipads, xboxs. He then realizes they don't care about them that much. So he addresses accordingly and times it correct during his first term, so that the people that vote for him, will agree with him once more. Every politician does this.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Aw gee people, come on. You are clearly twisting the facts. What Obama means is that when one of us regular citizens, untrained in the finer points of "information management", gets our hands on this tech, calamaty ensues. But for a highly trained operative, er community organizer, this technology is a tool of freedom and democracy. Just trust him. Just like when you were a little kid and your parents would tell you not to cuss or smoke or drink and you wondered why they were allowed to do it, that`s a good example of the supreme wisdom of our country`s leaders compared to that of a common lower class... TAXPAYER.

Doesn`t that prove it right there? If you were so smart, why are you paying half your hard earned wages in taxes while obama and all his rich politician and corporation buddies barely pay any? Case closed. And in case you`re wondering, same concept. You cannot handle having an entire paycheck, you see, money is a very big responsibility and is best left to those trained in the manipulation, er I mean development of economies.

So throw out your tech and don`t be sad, the second ruling class-imposed dark ages won`t be so bad. It will be more like the dimly lit ages... those qualified to use tech will still have it, and all you will need to be able to use will be provided to you by your ever insightful leaders. Every once in a while they might give you a shiny toy to play with. Not too far away as tech has already been suppressed to a crawl and we are already behind a potential 2000 yrs. no thanks to suppression over the past... 2000 yrs...? It`s a funny way to explain it but it makes sense if you think about compressed and expanded ways of thinking about time.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Firstly, capitals and tone were merely used for emphasis (sorry if it offends you, that wasn't what I was aiming for), not agression.

Secondly - to the first point you made, it meems either I am missing here or you're simply denying your own words: "Totally flawed" actually DOES imply something is incorrect. In fact, it can't mean anything else.

To your second point: No, it's basically WHAT I SAID - in my original post - the post which you said was "totally flawed" (I'm not paraPhrasing here).

You dismissed my comments as, and let me quote (again, since you don't believe what YOU put yourself) "totally flawed" - yet half the basis for your argument for calling my points "totally flawed" undermined the rest of your post.

Say what you mean, fella - and mean what you say.

We could avoid any mix-up in future, since we're (apparently) trying to make asimilar point!

EDITED FOR TYPO!

[edit on 11/5/2010 by TailoredVagabond]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Obama claims that he can't work an IPod eh??

The man is truly a pathological liar disguised as a politician.

The following quote is from a July 2009 interview in which Obama was asked about Michael Jackson.

Obama then said, “Well, look, you're the first person who has actually asked me about it. So, you know, I think that Michael Jackson is, will go down in history as one of our greatest entertainers. I grew up on his music. Still have all his stuff on my iPod. I think that his brilliance as a performer also was paired with a tragic and, in many ways, sad personal life.”

www.cnsnews.com...

I guess the old chap can work an I Pod afterall.

Blah Blah Blah I know it is just an IPod but this is just another example of his character or lack there of.

If he will lie about an Ipod he will lie about anything!!!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
One more thing about the hypocrite in chief.

I suppose he wants Queen Elizabeth to be distracted as well.

So what do you get the queen who has everything?

If you're President Obama - and the queen in question is Elizabeth II of England - you get her a generously loaded iPod that includes video footage of her 2007 visit to the U.S. and songs made popular on Broadway.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

Enough is enough already.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I actually agree on what he said, the majority of the internet populace only seek entertainment. Thats why sites like 4chan and Youtube are so popular.
The most watched youtube video is 143,195,849 views.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join