It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I don't get what he is trying to say. This is complete non sense for me. How is a playstation a tool of information ?

Is he senile ?

[edit on 9-5-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I find it highly suspect that obama doesn't know how to use an xbox or playstation! My mother who is 65 enjoys playin my 360 whenever she visits. Granted she's not l337 or anything but she has a blast lmao. Chalk this up to being scared of an informed populace!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ickylevel

Because the xbox and playstations are capable of online access, not only in online gaming and such but as a means of surfing the internet. Not to mention actual voice communication while playing and observing online matches.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaBossMan

Omigosh, you're RIGHT! Didn't he put his speeches in it or something like that (some arrogant/ narcissistic thing)?

Sheeeee does this man EVER tell the truth?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Controll

If it is ok to the parents for their kids to play XBOX games day and night then that should be enough. The government has no right to tell a person how to parent until it becomes abuse.

I agree....unfortunately many parents have no idea what they are exposing to their kids.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Firstly, I'm not a citizen of the United States of America, so I don't suffer from the same paranoia.

The way I read it was that with all the 'information' flying around cyberspace these days, there are difficulties in determining the truth from the bull#.
It's quite a reasonable statement and one that even afflicts this site!

As a worker in a Tertiary Institution, I see it everyday. There are people who cannot write full sentences let alone spell correctly; who gain their information from one-dimensional sources and haven't even been to the library!

I agree that X-box, PlayStation etc are potential distractions and it seems that (generally) people are more concerned about entertainment than information.

I play computer games, for the record. I set myself time limits as it is easy to be sucked into a 'time warp'. I personally know people who spend hours and hours a day playing games.

I also try to obtain my News from a variety of sources.

I guess I'm lucky

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

You're missing the point. The real problem is that the nonsense spitted out by the government can be and is fact checked in minutes, disabling the governments to spin something.

Gent trys to blow up times square? In minutes folks know he's from Pakistan. No ability any longer to play the waiting game and hope for or create another news issue to divert the attention to the fact that he's a muslim.

A bunch of noise about the great law-abiding illegals in Arizona only trying to make a better life for themselves and in minutes a ton of storys about illegals gaming the system and committing crimes.

Something comes up that you'd rather not get into the public sphere? Either ignore it if possible and if not, time its release either on a Friday evening or just after some other "breaking news" that you manufactured or timed the release.

Information used to be an asset of the political class. It is what they used to keep a cynical public on the defense. The communications of today put the political class on the defensive. They need the facts now. Mere suggestion or spin won't work. Its quicker for follks coast to coast to learn of something than it takes for them to set up the teleprompter. Once folks hear something they find interesting or seems odd, they immediately begin fact checking. Now the news cycle is out of their hands.

Right now there are dozens of folks going through the thousands of photos and comments Obama made about how much he liked his iPod or liked playing with Michele or the girl's iPods.

That will be out in the public scene within 24 hours.

Too bad

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
If he was concerned about people being overweight he should go after the processed food industry.

What a bunch of classic Orwellian double-talk clap trap.

He says information is being used too much for entertainment, and not enough for "empowerment" and "emancipation."

In reality, he means too many people are using technology for empowerment and emancipation, which is scary to our leaders, and not enough people are killing brain cells in front of video games.

Come on, it's just like when he said we needed health care reform and then screwed everyone over with that. Or like when they say we need anything else, and then give us just the opposite. These guys are blatant players.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Every time President Obama speaks I am reminded of a song that goes something like this:
But it isn't my fault, I was given those beans, you traded me your cow for beans, were they worthless beans, were they undersold, and did you have to steal all that gold. But its your faul, no it isn't, yes it is, no it isn't, whos is it, it is your fault. (Songheim, Into the Woods.)
When ever there is a problem, it is everyone elses fault, and never the root cause. Children are overweight, so it is the fault of fast food, junk food, high calorie food, sodas, children not going out and playing, everything that they can think of instead of the root problem. Root problem is the parents and the government. Why? The government comes out stating too much sun is a bad idea, cover up, get little sun exposure, thus now there is a problem people are vitamin D deficient. Children don't go out and play and are over weight, but they can't go out cause it is too dangerous for them to go out, they might get hurt, they can't compete, cause it is bad for their self esteem, someone might actually find out that they are not the best at a sport. People choose to eat fast food, cause it is cheap and easy, don't have to cook. I think the message he needs to send is that we need to take responsiblity for our actions and our health, not let the government take care of it for you and blame everything for what should not be.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

"there are difficulties in determining the truth from the bull#."

Boy, you can say THAT again! But, we're getting so much practice, I think a lot more people are getting the hang of it.
And ya know what they say: Practice makes perfect.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by DogsDogsDogs]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Of course his opponents would interpret what he is saying in a negative light and fill his mouth with their own words.

He is referring to the GARBAGE media thhat these devices primarily transmit annd deliver. Like Halo call of duty and whatnot which galmorize death and mayhem.

Or stupid youtube videos like "random strangers being kicked in the crotch" or the state rep who was recently seen in chamber viewing photos of naked women on his laptop.

There is that much more crap out there than things like what ATS tries to do and utilizing these devices to say organize a local event to have volunteers going door to door explainging how they can take small steps to help innovate for oursellves or whatever.

I understand how easy it was to spin this into an information control issue, and if you hate Obama it was that much easier to just believe that was what he was getting at. But I think we know what the tuth was.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Your spot on. The real difference here is that I think that folks should determine what "garbage" is and not the government. If you are too lazy or ignorant to find out what the truth than you deserve to be duped, either by the government or by some joker who is putting out trash.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If I was only to read the snippet of news in the OP I would agree 100% with Obama. He is correct in saying that information has become a distraction. But in that I thought he was reffering to xbox or playstation games. He did say that initially and people need to really take a hard look at that statement.

I once went to a friend of a friend's house and he was complaining about how all the IT jobs are being outsourced, but everytime I stepped into his house his kids were ALWAYS playing Xbox, always stuck to the TV.

Then I thought about how other countries I visited and I saw everyone was either always spending time with family or studying.

It's a completely different method of parenthood.
This is not to say that every parent in the western world allows their kids to be distracted, i'm only saying that it's not as commonplace in other places in the world.

Keep in mind that as an IT person I consider anything displayed on a screen as information, including games as there is a ton of code behind that game. Of course games are very much part of the information world.

As for the rest of his statements, I consider Fox News and MSNBC to not only a distraction but stations that make you stupider.

Ok i'm done

[edit on 9-5-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The way i read this, Obama is implying that private corporations should have to reinforce the ideals of our government. I know its just a statement, but it is a statement that well shows how obama thinks government should reach into every aspect of living.

This is ridiculous. If my xbox touted a bunch of government propaganda it wouldnt be fun, and it wouldnt be an xbox. Though the private markets need a good deal of regulation, government intervention should never be taken as far as Obama seems to think it should. The free world (fun world worth living in) will cease to exist.

BOOO

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Of course his opponents would interpret what he is saying in a negative light and fill his mouth with their own words.

He is referring to the GARBAGE media thhat these devices primarily transmit annd deliver. Like Halo call of duty and whatnot which galmorize death and mayhem.

Or stupid youtube videos like "random strangers being kicked in the crotch" or the state rep who was recently seen in chamber viewing photos of naked women on his laptop.

There is that much more crap out there than things like what ATS tries to do and utilizing these devices to say organize a local event to have volunteers going door to door explainging how they can take small steps to help innovate for oursellves or whatever.

I understand how easy it was to spin this into an information control issue, and if you hate Obama it was that much easier to just believe that was what he was getting at. But I think we know what the tuth was.

garbage to you, enjoyable to me. Its these kinds of recreational things that make life enjoyable. Instead of saying how bad all this media is, why dont you offer a viable solution that people wont hate... oh all knowing Obaaaama.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

US President Barack Obama lamented Sunday that in the iPad and Xbox era, information had become a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy, in his latest critique of modern media.

More factually - Obama IS imposing strains on democracy...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by DaBossMan

You're right. He gave one to the Queen loaded with his speaches. I'll have to let Santa know that for this Christmas, but with the number of speaches this joker gives, it will have to come with a terrabyte of disk

If i was her Royal Lizard i would of handed it him back and asked for an ipod with "Dubya's" speaches.... much more entertaining!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Clearly he doesn't know how empowering it can feel to blast off zombie heads with a shotgun.

I kinda sorta agree with him, even though I myself love video games sometimes I wonder how much more I could do with my life if I just gave them up forever. With those two hours a day I spend playing video games or watching youtube videos I could be doing something productive.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
While many claim such decides are bad - I feel they can also be quite good.

Our youths love for technology can inspire that many more to go into the computer engineering fields.

In general, I feel the lazy bums will always be the same. Whether they are playing games or sitting in the sun fishing every day of their life...some people just do not want to work.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

In general, I feel the lazy bums will always be the same. Whether they are playing games or sitting in the sun fishing every day of their life...some people just do not want to work.

Work where?

Forty Million Americans need food stamps to eat.

...Maybe you just haven't noticed that we are in the middle of the worst economic depression of our lifetimes.... maybe that just slipped your mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join