It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

I don't see how an argument can be "totally flawed", as you claim mine is, yet some of it is "justified".

That statement doesn't even register in the English language (or in logic) if it is to make any sense.

Also, I've not said anything untrue - I wasn't actually mentioning fitness levels either, but let's tackle that, too.

So, please let me humour you and squash practically everythign you just said...

I think you're totally wrong to dismiss my comments and I think you gave enough vidence yourself for that.

I DO agree, however, that there are MORE than enough hours in the day for people to be active/stay fit etc. That isn't debatable. So far so good.

But...

The problem is that most people don't (can't??) regulate their own activities. We live in a society of convenience and we want everything at our fingertips - and we want everything now.

From fast food, microwave meals, TV/video on demand, credit cards (ask your dad how many credit cards his parents had!), high-speed internet, instant messaging, instant noodles - these are all things that pacify our collective urge to want to work for something, and nullifying our need to actually go out and DO anything. This is getting a bit esoteric, but all those things extend to the culture that magnifies what Obama was saying - that entertainment (and the technology we've become dependent upon) has become more important that the things that SHOULD be important. Civil Liberties, healthcare debate (whicveer side of eth fence you are on!)

So, when I said you gave me the evidence to disprove what you said, you underline my point when you refer to you "old man's" generation...

So, answer me the follwing...

What did your Dad's (and my Dad's) generation do when there weren't TV, xbox's, the internet etc???

He wasn't, more often than not, outside, being active (and therefore fitter), by any chance.......was he???

Point proved. No need to reply.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Do not worry, Mr. President. My ipod and wii do not distract me one bit, from watching what is happening in the world, or what is happening with our economy, laws, government, etc.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Obama refused to give up his blackberry and he advertised in video games during the 2008 campaign. He will clearly say or do anything that will serve him in the immediate moment regardless of what he has said or done in the past.

He got your votes gamers and now he is done with you

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I don't think that he is wrong in stating this. So many kids just stare at their computer screen, waiting to see what their friends are going to do next. Even at work, grown men and women sneak off onto their networking pages and blogs whenever their boss is not watching. This is a terrible affliction to an individuals' concentration. This is why we are in debt, aside from the major banks people want to blame. Americans are being paid too much to do jobs that they for the large part, hate doing, and seem to be having more of a "#&$@ all" attitude as of late. The newspapers' may not be helping, but at some point we each have to realize we can get past all the fear, xenophobia, and finger pointing if we commit to a change in our own lives, instead of being a multiplier of these compartmentalizing dividers.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It's not a threat. It will kill democracy. Because democracy requires that one group have a united power to do what they want. If everyone is an individual with their own information and opinions, guess what, democracy cannot function.

Democracy is a dead hope to begin with. Never good.

Republics last.

What Obama states is true. For he is finding fewer and fewer people that are blind followers to pick up.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
yah - technology sucks, Mr. President

why, then, did you cling so hard to your precious little blackberry?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

I appreciate the way information was used as a tool of empowerment when it exposed and brought down his beloved Acorn. It was also very entertaining. Two birds with one stone, as it were.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
From the quote...... "information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

Seems like english to me. I don't think encouraging persons to empower themselves or emancipate themselves is a bad thing. LOL

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Pull it out break it down. Which most of you say is reading things out of context. This is basically what keeps you all stuck in the LIE...BeLIEve the LIE

This is how it goes...
First
you have to pull it out
-- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment,

2nd
you have to break it down
(A) -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment

What that really means:
For you yes...it is intended that way by the corporate medical military pharmaceutical industrial complex to keep you scattered and bickering amongst yourselves.

(B) tool of empowerment
definitely not for you...for them yes. Keeping you locked in the LIE.

Think next time before you tell people they are taking things out of context thinking you are so incredibly smart because you can read an entire paragraph and or story.

They hide the truth in the story itself

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
"None of which I know how to work"

So how can he make a statement about the good or ill of these items? What is his experience of them? It's like if I'm round my mother's and using my laptop, she says it's "bad for me"???

There's a lack of cognition about these things when you don't have experience, it's like condemning a film without seeing it... pretty stupid, especially in the case of things like Ipads that are essentially tools.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I think you're missing the point. Obama is advocating "tool(s) of empowerment...means of emacipation" and he's bashing the use of meaningless information flow.

In my speculative opinion, he's implying that in this age of information, special interests are trying to distract us from the real information out there by marketing to to us the use of meaningless information such as video games.

I think he's implying that some people want us stupid and entertained (look at the flashy pretty stuff while I rob you blind) instead of informed and empowered.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Obama is all over technology. His administration continues to subvert the WH Press Corps to the point where many fear that they will soon be eliminated.

Of course, now more than ever, technology gives this White House—which boasts an increasingly sophisticated new-media department based in the Old Executive Office Building—the ability to distribute content to millions over the Internet without relying on third parties.

Thirty-one-year-old White House aide Macon Phillips, who directs President Obama’s new-media operation, said the White House has 1.7 million followers on Twitter, around 500,000 fans on Facebook, and 70,000 email subscribers, though he declined to reveal how many unique visitors and page-views the White House Web site regularly receives. “We haven’t released those numbers,” he told me—suggesting that they’ve got a ways to go before competing with mainstream outlets like the Times (which indeed far outranks the WhiteHouse.gov on such Internet traffic-tracking sites as Alexa.com).

What is new, Knoller said, is Press Secretary Gibbs’ use of Twitter exclusively to announce important information—such as Gibbs’ recent tweet that the president was canceling a long-planned trip to Indonesia in order to be on hand in Washington for a critical period in health-care legislating. That tweet put the noses of several pressroom regulars out of joint. Bill Plante, for one, said he doesn’t have time for Twitter.

“With Twitter, Gibbs doesn’t send a note to the press—it’s sending a note to anybody that follows him,” Knoller told me. (Gibbs has around 52,000 followers.) “I’ve got no problems with him using Twitter. I’m on Twitter, too. But I never retweet his tweets. I rewrite them and I put them in context, because it’s not my job to give him access to all of my followers. [Knoller has 23,600 followers.] I’m not a retweeter, I’m a reporter.”

A small but satisfying victory, to be sure.

NBC White House correspondent Savannah Guthrie—who co-anchors MSNBC’s 9 a.m. show Daily Rundown with her colleague Chuck Todd—pointed out that sometimes, instead of giving photojournalists access to newsworthy events, the White House lets Pete Souza, the president’s talented personal photographer, post behind-the-scenes images on Flickr—a development that has prompted protests in the press room.

www.thedailybeast.com...

You have to wonder what is motivating Obama when he makes statements like this without his teleprompter.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by brianmg5

I think you're missing the point. Obama is advocating "tool(s) of empowerment...means of emacipation" and he's bashing the use of meaningless information flow.

In my speculative opinion, he's implying that in this age of information, special interests are trying to distract us from the real information out there by marketing to to us the use of meaningless information such as video games.

I think he's implying that some people want us stupid and entertained (look at the flashy pretty stuff while I rob you blind) instead of informed and empowered.

Glad to see some people are seeing with their real intuitiveness, instead of instantly fear mongering.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You do realize that Obama campaigned using video games as an advertising platform within the game itself. Not to mention the White House's increasing use of twitter, facebook, and Flickr

edit:

Obama wants you dumb and stupid. Open your eyes. The truth lies in the tactics used by the White House on a daily basis.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by jibeho]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

You do realize that Obama campaigned using video games as an advertising platform within the game itself. Not to mention the White House's increasing use of twitter, facebook, and Flickr

edit:

Obama wants you dumb and stupid. Open your eyes. The truth lies in the tactics used by the White House on a daily basis.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by jibeho]

i second your notion! obama campaingned with stated above video games., but now owe no they are making our kids ignorant. you kidding me! this is just another play out of the many that this president has picked to denie freedoms> i say this mr president if you take away the things that brought you into power, then let us take away your telepromter as most of the steamy hot bull# that comes from it is lies. lets keep everyone on an equal playing field shall we?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsisRaEL
From the quote...... "information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

Seems like english to me. I don't think encouraging persons to empower themselves or emancipate themselves is a bad thing. LOL

Yes but in a statment like this one must know what he means by empowerment, emancipation and just how the point is taking away from these areas.

At the very least and even then in a very general way he is suggesting that some sort of "information" that we all encounter daily by these means is not being fully understood and utilzed. ??

This is simply a rhetorical jab he is making. Why dosent he just say that people spend to much time doing other things when they could be reading Karl Marxs.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by vardlokkur

Glad to see some people are seeing with their real intuitiveness, instead of instantly fear mongering.

Nice explanation of what he said however he can hardly qualify as someone that would lead us to the green pasture of objectivity once we do put down the controller.....and get off the key board.

I mean wow pass a 1000+ page health care bill without reading it!!! Like he cared what the distractions were at that point. Maybe Nancy Pelosi didnt read it because it was cutting into her Guitar Hero play time.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TailoredVagabond
reply to post by nik1halo

I don't see how an argument can be "totally flawed", as you claim mine is, yet some of it is "justified".

That statement doesn't even register in the English language (or in logic) if it is to make any sense.

The word flawed does not mean incorrect, but rather imperfect. Therefore, I can agree with what you are saying, whilst arguing my point as to the imperfection sin your logic.

I think you're totally wrong to dismiss my comments and I think you gave enough vidence yourself for that.

I was not dismissing your comment, only adding to them. I simply thought you were being a little simplistic

The problem is that most people don't (can't??) regulate their own activities. We live in a society of convenience and we want everything at our fingertips - and we want everything now.

From fast food, microwave meals, TV/video on demand, credit cards (ask your dad how many credit cards his parents had!), high-speed internet, instant messaging, instant noodles - these are all things that pacify our collective urge to want to work for something, and nullifying our need to actually go out and DO anything. This is getting a bit esoteric, but all those things extend to the culture that magnifies what Obama was saying - that entertainment (and the technology we've become dependent upon) has become more important that the things that SHOULD be important. Civil Liberties, healthcare debate (whicveer side of eth fence you are on!)

Isn't this basically what I said?

So, when I said you gave me the evidence to disprove what you said, you underline my point when you refer to you "old man's" generation...

Sensible sayings never go out of fashion

So, answer me the follwing...

What did your Dad's (and my Dad's) generation do when there weren't TV, xbox's, the internet etc???

He wasn't, more often than not, outside, being active (and therefore fitter), by any chance.......was he???

No actually, he did and does run local amature football. You don't get too much exercise standing on the sidelines and organising meetings and diciplinaries.

Point proved. No need to reply.

I see nothing proven, only opinion, given in an overly aggressive way.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Sorry, Mr. Obama.

Technology is just the means by which information freely flows. It isn't the problem. The problem is people who would seek to stem the flow of information from the masses to serve their own interests.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

Xboxes and PlayStations have little to know-(no) news or facts on them, just games, and it is up to the parents to decide what games are right for there children. If you are an adult and playing these, you should have enough common sense to realize what is true or false, or wrong or right.

ahh but even that is not true any more. You can browse the web with Both X-boxes and Playstations. I dont think you can watch Flash video, but you cant even do that on an Ipad, either,

My GRANDMA can use an Ipod.

Do we REALLY want someone in office who cant even figure out an Ipod??!?!?!?!?!?!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join