It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
i realize that obama is a topic of much suspicion on this site. it is a conspiracy site and so i enjoy the scrutiny provided here. but i do feel that folks project a negative slant on anything he says, reading into statements, contorting every phrase into some proof that obama is the latest minion of the NWO (or whatever other nefarious role we've dubbed him with).

i treat all politicians with a healthy blend of cynicism and judicious observation. that being said, i do support this quote:

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

i work for the local school district, and have watched first hand as our youth are weened on more and more gadgetry and digital distractions. they spend half their free time, twitting, texting, downloading, fidgeting with their techno-wonder-devices. much of this 'information' they garner from their cyber exploits is not of a 'nutritional' value. it is the informational equivilant to spicy hot dorritos.

we as educators cannot compete with the modern info-tainment machine that consumes the imaginative CPUs of our youth. and as a youth goes, a culture follows.

so yeah... all those gadgets are distractions; a pixelated sleight of hand to beguile us into thinking that the world is about whatever our vid-screens tell us it is about, and not about the wind. the sky. our kin. our labors. our passions. our art. our dreams.

they told us what to dream. just like Pink Floyd said.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

www.google.com

US President Barack Obama lamented Sunday that in the iPad and Xbox era, information had become a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy, in his latest critique of modern media.
"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/9/2010 by semperfortis]

After reading this and thinking about the issues as writen, its just to dang hard to figure out just what it is thats being talked about. Maybe its the guy that wrote the article maybe not. Just a bunch of buzz words out of any real structure with no real connection demonstrated.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Go into a hole and die obama.

Really i wouldnt care.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I don't think he meant what the OP says he meant. I think he means that people (teens-30s) have tuned out the world with their Xboxes and iPods...I think that is very true. There is constant news bombardment...but most people nowadays don't know tit from tat, look at Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" for instance. I think if you even watch Fox News or MSNBC (both bias in their own directions) you know more than 80% of the population which mostly cares about the latest Xbox game or how Snooki or Angelina and Brad or doing. At least if you're watching a news network, you know that Joe Biden is the Vice President.

I'm a victim of technology myself, early 20s and I've grown up with tech. The internet is so addictive at times that I find it hard to pull myself away just to read a book, or to study. I am very in tune with politics, but most of my generation is not at all... I can see where Obama is coming from, and trust me, I do not agree with him on most things.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
ain't he the same moron who was bitchin and moaning when he was tolold he had to give up his blackberry

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mythos

The president has done an extraordinary job of destroying his own credibility and people's trust. (I mean the 180 degree reversals, the underhanded way that he implied that things would be better than they were under Bush & then he not only upheld Bush's policies, he expanded them. The "moving forward" stuff. The "let me be clear" when actually he was misleading/ obfuscating. And the backroom, shady deals over healthcare. People made it clear that they wanted no part of the Clintons & then his cabinet is Clinton redux) He has gone about it in such a way that many people are very bitter and angry. I think the one time supporters are much more unhappy than the republicans from what I have seen. Or at least at first. The buyer's remorse is PROFOUND.

AFAIC, there is nothing worse than a liar, a manipulator & a cheat. I do hold him in tremendous contempt now. I would hope for impeachment (misleading people to get elected SHOULD be impeachable even if it is not. Or screwing up so badly) but once again, what has been leveled at him has been silly sh#t like the birth certificate issue. (I don't think he would be removed from office even if it were true). Obama makes me think of the dirty dealings in 2000 & 2004. Sucks bad.
The Obamas & the Palins need to get their own reality shows. That is what they are worthy of.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by DogsDogsDogs]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaBossMan
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Didnt he give one to the Queen of England. I quess he just gave it to her to keep her distracted.

I thought it was Region 1 DVDs (which don't work here in the UK, we're Region 2). I can just see the Queen down the local market trying to get her DVD player chipped!

He's blatantly just trying to get people to stop getting information from other sources, such as here on good ol' ATS!

ETA: Sorry, my mental malfunction, it was our grand dictator Gordon Brown who got the DVDs.

[edit for spellnig]

[edit on 10-5-2010 by nik1halo]

[edit on 10-5-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Well I agree with the fact that there is a huge population, including me, who are addicted to entertainment. Its our generation we grew up in. Look to the future, its only gonna get worse. But whats gonna fix it? A ban of video games, movies, and handhelds?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Without attempting to decipher the unspoken words of Obama's message, I think he is absolutely correct on this count.
I express similar thoughts to a few who have previously posted in this thread. The fascination come addiction to electronic gaming consoles and mp3 players is an alarming trend and does nothing to foster a development of one's creativity or critical thinking. They are, basically, interactive television. You sit down, zone out, and escape.
Music becomes nothing but sonic wallpaper. Key years of a child's life which OUGHT to be used to develop reading skills, critical thinking and the flourish of a healthy imagination atrophy in a pixelated fantasy.

To quote Nietzche:

"Never before has there been so much music! It seems as though intelligence is being dissolved in rhythm."

I've played games before, and only recently decided to cut away from the distraction. There are far better ways to entertain oneself, and some of these might actually lead to valuable learning as well.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Wow what a twisted spin that, at first glance makes sense, but when you read closely you see that there is no good will behind those words. I would like to think he is railing against video games and mindless entertainment, that makes sense to some degree, but it is clear that by "distraction" he means a will outside of ordained established thinking.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I think that part is very telling "None of which I know how to work". So, no actual, real experience of these things but make a judgement anyway?

Edit: totally messed up the quote feature

[edit on 10/5/1010 by jokei]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Quite simple... Theyre losing control and failing to win the "hearts and minds" of the american public with the propaganda and its scaring them...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Well, God Forbid that they should cut the crap & do the right thing! People aren't going to go along with what they're trying to cram down our throats & this is all going to end really badly if they don't stop & undo some of the damage.
I could have sworn that stuff like this was going to happen under Daddy Bush, & I thought at the time that he backed down because it wasn't the right time & he knew it.
I don't think these people (or the PNACs before them) are that smart. They're afraid they won't get to see their youthful dreams realized in their lifetime, so they think they have nothing to lose. I guess.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I think he has a point. If he had expanded to the physical fitness of Americans (and Britons) he'd make this even more valid - and a slightly different (and less contentious) argument.

These technologies, and the lifestyle that they induce, helps to keep a generation of would-be very active individuals PACIFIED - preoccupied with WarCraft, Twitter, "XFactor-Facebook" campaigns - which all distract us from real issues. Issues that should take up more headlines, column inches and, more of our time!!

He's well within his right to say these things and I'm just glad SOMEONE in power said it!

He's not denouncing said technologies outright - he is arguing for more political purpose: His campaign was boosted by all the (free, or very cheap) online activity.

That said, ATS has become a tool for all and sundry to slate Obama regardless of what he says - so I am not surprised in the least at some of the comments on here! At all.

The fact remains that these things ARE a distrction!! How ironic that a forum dedicated to the eradication of disinformation, one that promotes freedom of speech copmpletely LAMBASTS someone for championing just that all ebcause, wait for it, they're in power.

So is that it? or are we all in our parent's basements defending until the death, our right to play XBoxLive until we die?!?!

(Hint: I am not!!)

If Ron Paul makes this statement, it doesn't appear on ATS! Ever!

...Tweet that, peeps!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TailoredVagabond

Your whole argument is flawed, although not entirely incorrect.

There are plenty enough hours in the day to play Xbox, use facebook, exercise to keep fit and still manage to educate yourself. I manage this quite easily and a whole lot more and I have a wife and daughter to look after and spend time with too, although to be honest, I'm not much of a gamer.

The problem isn't the tech, it's lazy people not using every hour possible to live their lives and instead veggitating in front of said tech. Instead of using the tech as a tool to educate, share info, or simply to entertain (and let's not fool ourselves, we do need entertainment), people get addicted to one or two and end up wasting their lives in front of the TV or PC screen.

Everything in moderation, as my old man always says.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Look to the future, its only gonna get worse. But whats gonna fix it? A ban of video games, movies, and handhelds?

It wont be fixed. Our civilization will have destroyed itself from within when it has finally come.

We will remmain in power for at least another century until then though.

It is nothing that can be done to defeat the establishment at this time. Just keeo enjoying the cheap media, you will feel better.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

So many of the previous replies have twisted what he meant.

First of all, what "information" comes over these things? The iPad can deliver news, but it was never advertised as a "portable newspaper" (HINT). As far as the iPod, news flow would be limited to podcasts. XBOXs and PSs are for playing games. iPads are brand new and certainly can't be greatly influencing America yet. And podcasts? That doesn't even compare to radios, which unless you're listening to NPR or select satellite radio stations are mostly music.

The point he is making is that people are getting so caught up with electronics and games that they are neglecting learning.

From this piece (below), it sounds like he says he wants us to be more "informed and engaged" and hold the government accountable. What he would like to see is less of our society ignoring the news and issues I guess. So many people have unlimited data and txt plans, but I doubt in busy lives that they use them more often than not to get the news and issues. (Who has time for that? Instead, just wait to hear it from someone else, right, if it's important enough?)

How can you spin this off into something "evil" (per one reply) or bad? (I'm not asking by the way.)
-------
"What Jefferson recognized... that in the long run, their improbable experiment -- called America -- wouldn't work if its citizens were uninformed, if its citizens were apathetic, if its citizens checked out, and left democracy to those who didn't have the best interests of all the people at heart.
"It could only work if each of us stayed informed and engaged, if we held our government accountable, if we fulfilled the obligations of citizenship."
------

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TailoredVagabond
I think he has a point. If he had expanded to the physical fitness of Americans (and Britons) he'd make this even more valid - and a slightly different (and less contentious) argument.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, I think the above quote really sums it up with on phrase "If he had expanded... the thing is he didn't.

Originally posted by TailoredVagabond
These technologies, and the lifestyle that they induce, helps to keep a generation of would-be very active individuals PACIFIED - preoccupied with WarCraft, Twitter, "XFactor-Facebook" campaigns - which all distract us from real issues. Issues that should take up more headlines, column inches and, more of our time!!

He's well within his right to say these things and I'm just glad SOMEONE in power said it!

He's not denouncing said technologies outright - he is arguing for more political purpose: His campaign was boosted by all the (free, or very cheap) online activity.

Totally agree with you there.

...as an aside, I'm not particularly an Obama fan - I did actually think he would be good for America and the world, so far it seems he's just another politician, ie: lying sack of... but that's not a particularly specific stab at Obama.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
No wonder he hates it the Xbox is fail

I don't like Obama and his opinions don't affect us over the pond.
Even "Bammy Durka Durka" boy can't stop the games industry as it is worth billions to the economy.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I cannot believe how much I am coming to respect this man. I did not vote for him. I've been a Republican since the late 80's.

I think he is talking about the disinfo profession and how the Internet has legitimized BS and has taken yellow journalism to new lows.

We on ATS owe it to ourselves to stay open-minded and DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

An awful lot of BS is meant to draw us apart by spreading fear. Look at all the new fear mongers on this site.

BTW, what's up with all the new avatars featuring scantily clad women? Has anybody else noticed that? Do you think those avatars bare any resemblence to their authors?

Marketing experts use hot models to pitch BS. Keep that in mind before you reach any conclusions.
DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join