It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

www.google.com

US President Barack Obama lamented Sunday that in the iPad and Xbox era, information had become a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy, in his latest critique of modern media.
"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/9/2010 by semperfortis]

+8 more 
posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
When I saw this headline, I was guessing that the issue was that these devices were contributing to the physical fitness of American youth or perhaps the isolation that can occur with too much electronic interfacing and not enough human.

Nope. Here he is saying that he is disturbed by the information flow that occurs on the electronic media. The constant news barage that is available to people with the widespread use of handhelds, etc.

First, its interesting that this is the first President with a Blackberry and hence his claim that he does not know how to use an ipod is suspect, but who cares about that bit of nonsensical claim.

At its core, he is disturbed by non-managed communication and the formation of opinions outside of the spin of the political class/media.

While it is clearly the case that there is a ton of mis-information out there and we all see it on a daily basis. There is clearly more accurate information. When you have the ability to perform legitimate research on claims made by the government and determine your own opinion based on that research, you have the power of knowledge and knowledge is what folks who are looking to create perceptions are fearful of.

Be much easier if we all watched state run TV and read the state published newspaper every day.

An honest government should welcome an informed public and informed debate. Ultimately that will lead to more transparency and that will lead to a richer democracy, not one that is more strained.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/9/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

At its core, he is disturbed by non-managed communication and the formation of opinions outside of the spin of the political class/media.

... and with that simple statement you've hit the nail RIGHT on the proverbial head.

Star and flag just for that insightful comment

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
"iPad and Xbox era, information had become a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy, in his latest critique of modern media. "

Heh. I imagine he does (think that). Our hip, young, ever-so-fashionable family with 2 pre- teen daughters don't have iPods or X boxes? Seriously?
This man is a compulsive, pathological liar, so who knows.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dagar

Well I do understand where Obama is coming from. If you spent all the effort him and his staff do on trying to say one thing and do another and then try to convince the public that you are transparent, you wouldnt want a bunch of other sources of info distracting them from the direction you are dragging them by their hair. Plus, we all know how Communists hate free speech, because sometimes the truth hurts their feelings.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by DaBossMan]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Thats funny.
Im sure he had a iPOD off someone as a present...

Cant quite remmember who though... Was it Jay-Z..?

Edit - spelling.

[edit on 9/5/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

+4 more 
posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Didnt he give one to the Queen of England. I quess he just gave it to her to keep her distracted.

+7 more 
posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Obamas use of the internet during his election campaign was a large factor in mobilizing his constituency. Now that people are using that technology to
question his policies and decision making.... its a bad thing and needs to be regulated. Another reason to never trust a politician!!!

Obamas use of tech during his campaign NY Times

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DaBossMan

oh.. I had it the other way round. Lol.

Guess we know why he gave it away...

Wonder if the Queen can use it?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Not know how to work an iPod? Well, he thinks it's a good enough present for the Queen of England.

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
That's funny. He doesn't know how to run an iPod, but he's addicted to his Blackberry?

President-elect Barack Obama has repeatedly said how much his BlackBerry means to him and how he is dreading the prospect of being forced to give it up, because of legal and security concerns, once he takes office.

“I’m still clinging to my BlackBerry,” Mr. Obama said Wednesday in an interview with CNBC and The New York Times. “They’re going to pry it out of my hands.”

Source.

Hmmm. As the OP brought up, I think Obama would rather have the citizens of the U.S. not be as well informed as they are of what the government is doing. Sounds almost North Korean-ish to me.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Come on guys,Its obvious ain't it-

Hes moaning because he knows most teens are getting too fat to go in the army,lets be honest.

www.foxnews.com...

www.usatoday.com...

Don't worry BarryO,they soon will not have to move from their Xboxes,when they bring out the neural interface.
They will be able to work from home,VR style,whilst on a drip of mercury laced corn syrup and aspartame enamas.
They will control your next gen cyber soldiers...don't worry Barry...its all part of the game.You don't have to like it Barry.
But it will happen.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

To restate this: "I don't understand new technology, therefor it is evil, and wrong for any American that does."

iPods and iPads are the only media related of the listed. They have apps for all the websites that you go to, like New York Times, and a White House News app. You get the media the same there as you do the internet.

Xboxes and PlayStations have little to know news or facts on them, just games, and it is up to the parents to decide what games are right for there children. If you are an adult and playing these, you should have enough common sense to realize what is true or false, or wrong or right.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

You're right. He gave one to the Queen loaded with his speaches. I'll have to let Santa know that for this Christmas, but with the number of speaches this joker gives, it will have to come with a terrabyte of disk

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

LOL, was it really loaded with his speeches?

Can you say narcissistic?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The type of thing he probably means is like how hollywood, tells us that americ aown ww2, when the war in europe was won by the russians, not really americans.

You would think america won the whole ww2 battle by themselves the way hollywood goes on.

Maybe this is the type of thing he means.

But of course i am sure hollywood and tv helped him in his case for being president and the poster boy, but only really just a public figurehead.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

A couple of them and some Obama photos:

President and First Lady Obama gave Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II a video iPod with inscription, songs uploaded and accessories, plus a rare musical songbook signed by Richard Rodgers.

President and First Lady Obama gave Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II a video iPod with inscription, songs uploaded and accessories, plus a rare musical songbook signed by Richard Rodgers.

Uploaded onto the iPod:

•Photos from the Queen's 2007 White House State Visit
•Photos from the Queen's 2007 Jamestown, Va., Visit
•Photos from the Queen's 2007 Richmond, Va., Visit
•Video from the Queen's 1957 Jamestown Visit
•Video from the Queen's 2007 Jamestown Visit
•Video from the Queen's 2007 Richmond Visit
•Photos from President Obama's Inauguration
•Audio of then-state senator Obama's speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and
•Audio of President Obama 2009 Inauguration Address
Britain's Press Association reports that the Royal couple gave the Obamas "a silver-framed, signed photograph of themselves."

blogs.abcnews.com...

[edit on 9-5-2010 by dolphinfan]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Xboxes and PlayStations have little to know news or facts on them, just games, and it is up to the parents to decide what games are right for there children.

True....

What it does have is an insane amount of use of the word N*****, gay, and homo....and not to mention endless amounts of profanity.

Definitely not news...just ugly America...and all coming from our nations youth.

It's more than the games....it's those who play them at least when online is concerned.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard what sounds like kids still in grade school playing military war games...all the while being fed racist words and bigoted, hateful statements.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by David9176]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

The point is that it should still be up to the individual or if they are under 18 it should be up to there parents what they do in there free time. If it is ok to the parents for their kids to play XBOX games day and night then that should be enough. The government has no right to tell a person how to parent until it becomes abuse.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Obama of all people should be glad that bemoaning things for distracting people with misinformation doesn't instantly make them disappear. If it did, he wouldn't have lasted through the primaries.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join