It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CONSERVATIVES WIN... UK Election...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Re: Nick Clegg

He has refused to be drawn on whether he would be willing to do a deal with either Labour or the Conservatives, either through a formal coalition or a looser arrangement. However, he has called a meeting of Lib Dem MPs on Sunday to discuss their next step.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
news.bbc.co.uk...
Hmmm, sunday. Seems Clegg thinks there will be some kind of deal to discuss.
Edit to fix tag

[edit on 7/5/10 by Bunken Drum]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
conservatives haven't won because its a hung parliament

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Actually Nick Clegg has just gone on the tories side.. We now have a Conservative government..

No he hasn't, He's done what he said he would do throughout the campaign and said that in his opinion, the party with the most votes should get to come forward and negotiate first.

Nick Clegg has honoured his word, if only more politicians were like that.

I can't see the Lib's and Tories forming a government but Labour and Libs don't have enough together to form one.... This is a pickle.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

You could say that about any party and quite a lot of people this time round punished New Labour by voting for the Tories. Some of them Lib Dems. Probably why they didn't do as well as expected because they voted for the Tories instead. Ignoring what was said in the media, it was always a two horse race. Lib Dems never had a chance of winning outright.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by kindred]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

as far as most people are concerned. It's the Tories who should form the new government.
Still, there are plenty of things which the majority (the actual numerical majority) of people want, but we dont get them, do we?
Fact is, the rules are the rules. Personally, since it is the Tories that have been most obstructive to electoral reform, if they end up hoist on their own petard, I think it'll be poetic justice.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Yes the rules are the rules and whatever happens, the elctorate will probably end up as the real losers. In an ideal world I wouldn't vote for any of the main parties. Such is life. All I want is a government that shares the same principles as myself and is worthy of governing this country. Unfortunately no such party exists and the best I can hope for is to vote for the lesser of the three evils.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by kindred]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah, I jumped the gun...... Whatever happens I guess we will be back at the polls in no time....

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

In an ideal world I wouldn't vote for any of the main parties.
Neither would I, which is why I voted LibDem primarily hoping for PR, so that at some future point any small party or independent candidate that I might vote for would have a better chance of getting elected.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

You can't say "as far as most people" because Most people voted something other that the Tories.... in fact two thirds voted something other than Tories.

After 13 years of Labour failure, Gordon Brown, Bigot-gate, Selling all our gold at the lowest possible price and numerous other failings by the Labour government, the Tories Still couldn't win?

And that's a victory??

I would say that it was a massive failure and just shows that the public do not trust the tories.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

If the Conservatives had a massive failure, how would you describe the Labour performance ? A gigantic failure ? Or the Liberals ? A gargantuan failure ?

Seems to me you people on the sidelines think everyone and anyone who stands for election is a failure, you're full of your own opinions yet have done nothing of any kind whatever ... in the real world, the real world where you have to get out of your armchair ... to further the political debate in your own country.

That's what's poisoning the political system. Everyone's full of themselves yet so few bother doing anything.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Nobody won.... It was a hung parliament and that's what the people decided, so as of now... Democracy won.

The election was the Tories' to lose.... and they lost it.

I'm not on the sidelines and haven't said everyone who stood in these elections is a failure?

What are you talking about? Who do you think I am.... do you know me?

How do you know what I have and haven't done in the "Real world"?

I'm not hear to blow my own trumpet or tell people the things I've done, I've got nothing to prove.
I can discuss my country's political landscape and situation and potential outcomes in any way I like... I voted last night and always do.

What are you talking about and what is your point?

[edit on 7/5/10 by blupblup]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
The election was the Tories' to lose.... and they lost it.

I do not agree with you there. A standing government in any democracy is hard to change, as they do what ever it takes to win, this has been proven plenty of times. Just ask labour when thatcher was in, how hard it is, when labour where said to have plenty of opportunities.

I think the result is a con, and the tories did win. But taking on the standing government is nearly impossible to get out in our system.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I think it is clear that Labour will not be able to gain the backing of Parliament, not least because of what Clegg said earlier but even if the Libs joined with Labour, they'd still not have a majority.

In that case, the Queen would ask Cameron to try to form a Government and Clegg is much more receptive to Cameron than Brown.

Having said that, Dark Lord Mandelson seems to be loathe about being drawn on whether Labour will bin Brown, in which case they might get the Libs to swing. With other smaller parties, they could form a Government but Plai Cymru are on record as "seeking an anti-Labour coalition".

It's going to be an interesting weekend.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Well I am a bit worried about the 100s of people who were locked out from polling stations. I hope that there are legal challenges.

What a Bloody Cockup!

We only have a handful of opportunities to use the democratic processes.

Still Jaqui Smith has gone (yippee) and the ever-gurning Lembik Opik.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

Well, listening to the reports it would seem that in once case its because a load of students turned up at the last minute without their polling cards.

In other cases, queues only built in the last hour or so of polling, meaning people left it to the last minute.

Now, the polls where open from 0700-2200. 15 hours! And people turn up in the last hour or so? What did they expect? I was at work yesterday and travelled to London at 0700 and still managed to get back and vote by 1700. Thats with picking up the kids from school, doing dinner and the rest of the "busy modern life" stuff that people will no doubt claim as a reason for going late.

That said, no-one should be shut out if they were queing. Allowances should have been made as it undermines the whole process, even if only a few hundred votes weren't cast nationally.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
Well I am a bit worried about the 100s of people who were locked out from polling stations. I hope that there are legal challenges.

What a Bloody Cockup!

We only have a handful of opportunities to use the democratic processes.

Still Jaqui Smith has gone (yippee) and the ever-gurning Lembik Opik.

It is a really large balls up, considering all the polling stations around here where deadly quiet... how can they get it so wrong.. it's not as tho we havn't had other election recently to highlight any flaws..
from me.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
so who won, what happens now?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by WeMoveUnseen

The is now some frantic negotiations going on, but it looks likely that Brown will not be able to get the backing of the Commons, in which case the Queen would ask Cameron to try and form a Government.

Brown is still PM for now though. He has a few days to pack his stuff and bugger off back to Scotland.

[edit on 7/5/10 by stumason]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Brown is still PM for now though. He has a few days to pack his stuff and bugger off back to Scotland.

Too right, at least there is that.

But will the lib dems try to hold tories to ransom, like the channel4 reporter was asking ashdown earlier.

Personally i think deals where made between libs and labour, but libs never got the no of seats they wanted.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I can see the Libs doiong a deal in return for electoral reform (and few other fluffy Lib Dem policies), which would benefit the Tories too I might add.

We may also see another election in the near future, hopefully with a new voting system.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join