It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CONSERVATIVES WIN... UK Election...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It may not be the majority of the population, but if people can't be bothered to vote for whatever reason then that's their preogative, but for those who could be bothered, most people voted for the Tories.

Well the current system isn't perfect, but then what is. In a democracy one things for sure, you cant possibly please everyone. Therefore majority rules.

DISRAELI-All the recent precedents are in favour of "government centred on the largest party.

I hope it's the same this time round then.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by kindred]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
At least clegg said the group with most should be the government.

lol

I want to hear what mandelson and blair have to say, lol. Like we cannot guess.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
It should go to the conservatives, not just because they got the most votes, but because legally they have stature to become the next ruling party being the party closest to 326 votes. The only problem with this is Labour have to do the right thing and resign to allow it, maybe Brown will try and cling on to another un elected term?

What happens after the election?

If Cameron doesn't get in it's an outrage, and just for the record neither me or my wife voted, what's the bloody point when it's all just a puppet show anyway?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
It may not be the majority of the population, but if people can't be bothered to vote for whatever reason then that's their preogative, but for those who could be bothered, most people voted for the Tories.

Well the current system isn't perfect, but then what is. In a democracy one things for sure, you cant possibly please everyone. Therefore majority rules.

The tories DO NOT have an overall majority. How can you not understand this? 326 seats are needed for an overall majority, the tories have fallen short of this, and even with some seats still to declare cannot possibly do so.

According to the BBC election site, the tories' share of the vote, note: NOT of the population, but share of the votes counted, is 36.1%.

They have more seats than labour, and much more than the lib dems, but NOT more than both together.

As it is, Nick Clegg has just said that the tories should be allowed the opportunity to form a minority government.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Wow.... Clegg is indeed a man of integrity who honours his word... Look like we have a conservative/Lib dem government...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Peter Mandelson appears to have told the BBC that if the price of a coalition is Gordon Brown’s head, that could be arranged. So that's David Miliband as Prime Minsiter. OMG we are in deep #### now.

lifttheveil-The only problem with this is Labour have to do the right thing and resign to allow it, maybe Brown will try and cling on to another un elected term?

Since when has Gordon Brown ever done the right thing. He's a one man band and it's his way or the highway. The only way we'll get rid of him is if the electorate drags him literally kicking and screaming out of 10 downing street. That's probably what it will come down to.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
What sort of system would allow 2nd and 3rd parties to make a government? The most votes where for the conservatives and i am glad clegg said what he said. But we will see if he keeps to it.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Actually Nick Clegg has just gone on the tories side.. We now have a Conservative government..

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

I know how the system works, but that doesn't change the fact that most people voted Tory. Why should New Labour hold onto to power when they got trounced. As far as most people in this country who voted are concerned, the Tories should now be in power.

How can you lump Labour & Lib dems together, they are seperate parties. The party with the most votes wins.

Tory 291 Labour 251 Lib Dem 52 other 27 Tories win

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by kindred

Actually Nick Clegg has just gone on the tories side.. We now have a Conservative government..

Ive got a sneaking suspicion that Mr Brown has some tricks up his sleeves, he wont leave so easy.

Im waiting on the headline...

"Nick Clegg and David Cameron arrested on terrorism charges!"

On a more serious note, I dont like the situation one bit, there needs to be a clear direction and I hope that policies are for the country rather than each party.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I think that Nick Clegg is being pretty clever here. Bear in mind, he didn't say the Tories should be the govt, he said they should be allowed to try to form a strong govt. What exactly is a strong govt then, since it definitely isn't going to be a majority unless it involves a deal with his party...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

That's a relief. Glad to hear it.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I strongly suspect that the budget introduced by the tories in a few weeks will be voted down, they simply don't have the seats to push it through without massive compromise in order to keep Lib-Dem support. The Democratic Unionists won't be enough.

I also seriously doubt that Cameron will agree to any real kind of electoral reform, so we should be looking at another general election in 5-6 month's time. What happens in that election will be how the horse-trading that will inevitably ensue in the next few weeks is viewed by an already apathetic electorate.

@ Kindred: Why do you keep saying "if people can't be bothered to vote...."? The turnout this time round is higher than it has been for decades. How many elections have you actually seen? You do know what a hung parliament means, don't you? That no single party has a majority? This, however has nothing to do with the turn-out, which has been pretty good.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Karilla]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Exactly he never said definitely. But at least cameron will have a chance to talk to him.

But who knows.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

Thing is a deal between the Tories & LibDems wouldn't go down well with a lot of Tory back benchers. Cameron may well find it bloody difficult to keep his own party in line...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

What's new in regards to politicians. When it comes to New labour, when they are not stabbing the electorate in the back, they are constantly stabbing each other in the back. They are self serving & opportunist and not fit to run this country.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
reply to post by Karilla

Thing is a deal between the Tories & LibDems wouldn't go down well with a lot of Tory back benchers. Cameron may well find it bloody difficult to keep his own party in line...

I totally agree! I think Clegg will have the same problem. The Lib-Dem manifesto was, if anything, to the left of Labour. None of their policies sit well with the tories, and vice versa. Pragmatism may well hold things together for a short while, but, as I say, come budget time the sparks will fly.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

I know exactly how the system works, you just don't like the fact that the Tories got the most votes and as far as most people are concerned. It's the Tories who should form the new government. It will be an absolute travesty if they don't.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

What I don't like is that the tories end up with 290 seats with 36% of the vote, while the lib-dems end up with 55 seats with 25% of the vote. This is also a travesty. Nothing is fair in our current system.

What I disagreed with you about was your saying that more people voted FOR the tories than voted AGAINST them. 36% share of the vote contradicts this. There was an anti-tory majority in the polls, whether you like it or not.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join