It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CONSERVATIVES WIN... UK Election...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

I also feel that NONE of the parties really want to be the one in power since the hard choices they have to make will as the head of the BoE said makes them unelectable for at least a generation.

My hope is that they will create a cross party Gov of all 3 main parties.. this is what I hope (oh and some reforms of our crappy system)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
If pond scum Brown remains as PM in a coalition gov, then democracy in this country is a shambles. The majority of people voted Tory and it should be them that forms the new Government. I for one will denounce any Labour/Lib Dem colaition gov.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by kindred]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I dont think a hung parliament will be good for anything other than parties scoring points against each other in a you give me this and ill give you that manner, completely ignorant of the countries needs.

The UK will get the best of the worst and the worst of the best as far as I see.

With the state of the deficit, the country needed a clear plan of what would be done to fix it. Instead we have uncertainty.

In an ideal world a hung parliament would be brilliant but this is not an ideal world.

I think things are going to get nasty over time, red mist.

Just my opinion.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
There's talk of David Miliband being the next leader of New Labour and possibly our new PM in a coalition gov. Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse.
I don't like Nick Clegg but I think he will do the right thing by the people and tell New Labour and Gordon Brown where to get off. What a farce that the person who finished 3rd gets to decide the future of this country.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Do we have to make it worse??? The thing is... Everyone wants to be a cowboy and no one wants to be an indian... People with money create jobs.. Jobs increase prosperity.... Simples.... If moneymen have there money taken away... They and there jobs will go elswhere....

Whatever way you look at it, the next few years are going to be bad financially whoever gets in... It would then be totally moronic to make business even harder would it not?? We already have hardly any manufactoring base because the last dumb governments.... Why make it worse?? We need the investment and whether you like it or not, that takes money men...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Just out of interest... Was any of you guys affected by the balls ups at the polling stations???

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Yeah you have a point... I dont think I would like to be the one in charge having to sort out this mess... It wouldnt bode well for the single party in power I think... Maybe this was the plan all along huh??

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
No problems in my neck of the woods(NE). I went at 7.00pm and was straight in and out. No problems whatsoever. I think the majority of people who didn't get to vote only have themselves to blame. They knew in advance what the closing time was and they've had all day to vote and there's also postal voting. If you miss the boat, it isn't going to come back and pick you up.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
No problems in my neck of the woods(NE). I went at 7.00pm and was straight in and out. No problems whatsoever. I thik the majority of people who didn't get to vote only have themselves to blame. They knew in advance what the closing time was and they've had all day to vote and there's also postal voting. If you miss the boat, it isn't going to come back and pick you up.

Remember there are a lot of people who cannot get the time off to vote, theres a lot of other reasons that someone might have been running a bit late.

I was watching sky news earlier and there were members of the public saying they waited for three hours only to be told at the door, voting is closed.

Thats not including the other people who came at various times of the day but did not have the time to wait for various reasons, came back later and still could not find a quiet time.

I think its shocking that voting booths are not able to cope with voter turn out. Smells fishy, pencil voting as well is a bit weird.

But with all that said, at least there was an election, unlike back when Brown got in and skipped the whole democratically elected prime minister thing. Pfft.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Yeah you have a point... I dont think I would like to be the one in charge having to sort out this mess... It wouldnt bode well for the single party in power I think... Maybe this was the plan all along huh??

That was my thought for day 1 of this mess... and even posted a thread on how wet the campaign was.. and that this would be the outcome..

As much as I do not feel any one of the main parties hold the keys to sorting this mess out, I also feel that none of the leaders want to be the party in power..

Would Cameron really want to be out in the cold for another generation?

Given the 2 party system we have that would mean another 3 terms of Labour.. the country would be really stuffed by then..

My opinion and it is only my opinion is that the only real option that is viable for the country, for the parties themselces and the markets is for a cross party war type cabinate..

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

The majority of people voted Tory
No they didn't. About 36% of the approx 65% who did vote, ie 23.4% of the electorate, voted Tory.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
reply to post by kindred

The majority of people voted Tory
No they didn't. About 36% of the approx 65% who did vote, ie 23.4% of the electorate, voted Tory.

Thats like every election. A minority always win as everyone does not vote.

But it will be scandelous if labour get to stay if they lost, thats just a joke. What sort of system allows the loser to win, lol.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Yeah in those minority situations there is no excuse for what happened, but what do you expect from New Labour. They can't seem to get anything right. Maybe they should of put back the closing time to 12.00 to process the queues and spend the extra time clearing the backlog.

No doubt loser Brown will use it as an excuse to call in the lawyers. This unelected desperado will do anything to hold onto power.

Electoral Commission is to conduct investigation after thousands denied vote. There were chaotic scenes in towns and cities including London, Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham and Bristol as polling stations failed dismally to cope with the high turnout.

Senior politicians said the fiasco made Britain seem like a Third World country. The disgraceful chaos at polling stations shows more starkly than ever the collapse of efficient public
administration under Labour in modern Britain.
After 13 years of government, the shambles at the close of polls last night was almost incredible.

Organising the administrative process for elections should be a routine task – one that has been taking place in Britain ever since the early Victorian age.

Neither the Electoral Commission, which is ultimately responsible for the system, nor the local authorities were under any real pressure, for they have had five years to prepare for this contest.

Any successful private company would have found the job perfectly simple. Yet the municipal penpushers and the Commissioners have allowed our democracy to descend into a shambles.

Before 1997 the British electoral system, in the hands of local returning officers, functioned smoothly.

But, with its instincts for bureaucratic tinkering and central control, Labour chose to change the system and hand oversight of the job to a new quango, the Electoral Commission.

The result, inevitably, has been widespread confusion and inefficiency leading to the humiliating scenes last night.

www.dailymail.co.uk... ml

Didn't realise it was that bad. Shocking!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

The majority of people who could be bothered to vote, voted for the Tories.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yeah it's scandalous, especially if the party that finished third gets to decide the future of this country.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

So the tories got more than 50% of the vote? No, they didn't, actually. The majority of people voted for either the lib-dems or labour.

It's time for electoral reform and true PR.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

People with money create jobs.. Jobs increase prosperity.... Simples....
This mantra has been promoted by financiers & repeated so often & for so long that I think its got to a stage where most people just cannot examine it objectively. However, the situation is actually more complex. Every single economic downturn since the 30s has shown that it is not private investment which creates jobs as things pick up, rather it is the other way around. It is govt action which puts money into ordinary people's pockets, that disposable income creates an increased market for goods & services, & then private investment creates jobs to service the market. Just remember how long the 80s then 90s disasters lasted, whilst we waited for this mythical trickle down effect. This is why Vince Cable's plan to abolish tax on the 1st £10k is the best plan out there right now.
I'm in business. What's crippling us is that people just aren't spending money on media & advertising budgets are down, so we're finding it hard to get the work for broadcast.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

The Tories got the most votes and they win by default. That's what I meant & that's the way the system works. Plenty of people voted for other parties besides the three main parties, but the Tories got the most votes and should now be in power.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kindred reply to post by Bunken Drum

Since when was 36% a majority? How many people who didn't vote decided not to because they knew that, because of our first past the post system, whoever they would prefer to vote for would have no chance anyway, so there was no point?
We need electoral reform if we are ever going to get a House of Commons that actually reflects the will of the electorate. Yeah, there'll need to be far more horse-trading, but majority govt by single parties hasn't done us much good, so I'd prefer it if MPs had to deal more.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

The Tories got the most votes and they win by default. That's what I meant & that's the way the system works. Plenty of people voted for other parties besides the three main parties, but the Tories got the most votes and should now be in power.

I agree. Apart from the precedent of 1974, which I mentioned earlier in this thread (Wilson came to power by leading the largest party), there is also the precedent of 1926.

The result in 1926 was
Labour 288
Conservatives 260
Liberals 59

The Conservative government resigned, and the Liberals gave their support to a minority government formed by the largest party.
All the recent precedents are in favour of "government centred on the largest party".

[edit on 7-5-2010 by DISRAELI]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join