It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC's Contessa Brewer 'Frustrated' That Times Square Bomber Is a Muslim

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
First of all, I don't believe it's been reported that this guy is a Muslim, but don't let that stop you from your rampage.

I understand what Contessa is saying. There's so much hatred and irrational bigotry toward Muslims in this country since 9/11, that each crime or incident where a Muslim is involved serves, in some people's minds, to justify their irrational hatred and fear of normal, non-extremist Muslims.

Here's what Contessa went on to say and this thread proves her right:

"I mean they use it as justification for really outdated bigotry."

Or let me put it another way that you may understand: It's the same thing as when a tea partier does something totally stupid. It justifies other people's negative judgments about the Tea Party.

Interestingly, if this HAD been a tea partier, the same people who are wanting to cast this guy into hell would have been calling for proper legal means and would be defending him tooth and nail.

You guys are so funny!

[edit on 5/4/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It just evidence of growing urge to incorporate the Muslim aspect into the discrimination factor mindset of the US culture. Fact remains, Islam is a violent culture/religion and most are Muslims who practice it...Get over it and get on with fighting terrorism.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by sos37

What "religion" did Timothy McVeigh profess to?

CIA (That's worship of Gubbamint)

(man, this just keeps geting weirder and weirder....what, if the NEXT media-grabbing-headline is a perp who is Jewish, THEN what???)

Jews (even Zionist Jews) don't do those things...

Nor do Christians, nor Atheists... Yaddah yaddah yaddah...

Violence is a last act of desperation. Or the first act of Muslim Extremists/Terrorists.

I'm more concerned about New Yorkers (arguably the roughest streetwise Americans) allowing cameras on every street corner tied into a surveillance network.

Sounds like what they do to people in London.

If New Yorkers let them install that in New York City the rest of the country will be a piece of cake, eh?

[edit on 5·4·10 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Or let me put it another way that you may understand: It's the same thing as when a tea partier does something totally stupid. It justifies other people's negative judgments about the Tea Party.

And just what kind of thing have tea partiers done that resemble anything like what these guys tried to do in New York?
I can't even believe that you tried to compare the two. Are you that eaten up with hate? I am extremely offended by this comparison, but then again, I am on ATS, so what's new.
Have a great day!!!

[edit on 4-5-2010 by sickofitall2012]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

This isn't 1942 and we aren't rounding up muslims and putting them into internment camps. Is every christian a McVeigh? No, Is every muslim a terrorist? No. Should we be wary of extremists of any faith who tend to strap bombs onto their person and blow things up, maybe.

Have all the police agencies in the US stopped investigating skinheads or radical right wing militias? Left wing eco terrorists? I don't think so. But last I recalled this was the USA. There is nothing about being politically correct in the US Constitution, for now anyway. If people want to be bigots, it is their Right. But merely saying a muslim terrorist is a muslim terrorist isn't being a bigot. If it is the truth, then say it. If people are looking to radically change our way of life (i.e. Terror) regardless of what race creed or religion they are, why are we afraid of Offending them?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I've been reading this thread and my suggestion is to pay no mind to the the McVeigh comment. His actions in OK had nothing to do with his religious affiliation. Who ever brought it up was an attempt at distraction and an attempt to derail the thread.

All we have to do is breakdown the chain of events. South Park aired an episode that was picking fun at Muhammad. Extremist Muslims issued a threat to the creators of South Park. Viacom being the company that airs South Park subsequently has a bomb attempt at one of their offices.

This isn't the first time extremist Muslims have issued death threats and attempted to kill people that have disrespected Muhammad.

So in all, pay no mind to McVeigh he doesn't belong anywhere in this thread.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Suspect in Times Square plot faces terror charges

May 4, 3:14 PM (ET)

By TOM HAYS and COLLEEN LONG

Faisal Shahzad has admitted his role in the botched bombing attempt and is talking to investigators,

NEW YORK (AP) - A Pakistani-born U.S. citizen was hauled off a plane about to fly to the Middle East and will face terrorism charges in the failed attempt to explode a bomb-laden SUV in the heart of Times Square, authorities said Tuesday. One official said he claimed to be acting alone.

Faisal Shahzad has admitted his role in the botched bombing attempt and is talking to investigators, providing them with valuable information, Attorney General Eric Holder said.

The investigation stretched to Pakistan, where intelligence officials said several people had been detained in connection with the Times Square case.

Shahzad was on board a Dubai-bound flight that was taxiing away from the gate at Kennedy Airport late Monday when the plane was turned around and federal authorities took him into custody, law enforcement officials said. Federal officials had placed him on a "no-fly" list hours before his arrest.

Shahzad, scheduled to appear later Tuesday in federal court in Manhattan, will face terrorism and weapons of mass destruction charges, Holder said.

He might have been Buddhist

apnews.myway.com...

www.dawn.com...

[edit on 043131p://bTuesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
And just what kind of thing have tea partiers done that resemble anything like what these guys tried to do in New York?

Nothing. That's not what I said. I said "It's the same thing as when a tea partier does something totally stupid". It's an analogy, not a direct comparison. Keep your shirt on.

I can't even believe that you tried to compare the two.

That's cool because I didn't.

Are you that eaten up with hate?

No. I actually like a lot of what the original tea party stood for.

I am extremely offended by this comparison,

OK. You can be offended if you want to.

Originally posted by bgood1968
This isn't 1942 and we aren't rounding up muslims and putting them into internment camps.

Not yet, but if some of these people in this thread had their way, I think we might be.

If people are looking to radically change our way of life (i.e. Terror) regardless of what race creed or religion they are, why are we afraid of Offending them?

I don't take my position because I'm afraid of offending someone. (You haven't read many of my posts if you think I'm afraid of offending people.)

My position is that using the extremists of ANY ilk to demonize and discriminate against ALL of that group is dangerous and leads to bigotry.

There are extremists in every religion, it's true. Look at Fred Phelps and his crazy gang of "Christians". The KKK called themselves Christians and said they were doing God's work. The "Army of God" killed abortion doctors. Hutaree, The Lambs of Christ, The Christian Identity, Concerned Christians are all terrorist groups who used Christianity to commit horrible and heinous acts.

Yet I doubt the OP and others in this thread would feel quite as justified exercising their judgments toward Christianity as a whole.

To say that the extremists represent Islam is the same as saying the groups above represent Christianity. Both are incorrect.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Ms. Heretic,
The man is a Muslim. He happens to have been my neighbor when he lived in my town. The first house he abandoned, along with is family, a year ago before he moved in with his 'Girlfriend' is on the route I walk every night two blocks or so from my home! He kept to himself much of the time and only his next door neighbors seem to have known him. He told them he worked on Wall Street and was away from home much of the time!

Zindo

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This thread is a ridiculous, I'll be blunt. First let me say that I don't defend this woman, nor the news channel she works for, nor any MSM for that matter. And she's definitely not intelligent, but you focused on a completely benign comment and have completely misconstrued it. The reason she said it, is exactly BECAUSE there have been so many Muslim terrorist events lately. I'm sure the rest of the video contains ridiculous comments but that one was not. Being frustrated that we have to deal with these crazies is completely different from trying to either deny the situation or portray it as something it's not.

The MSM is most certainly not ignoring Muslim extremism. They've been DROOLING over it for the past 10 years ever since 9/11! The administration change didn't affect anything. We're still in Iraq and Afghanistan, with over a hundred thousand troops deployed. This is all because of the endless hype we've been subjected to regarding "the terrorists". This new hysteria about home-grown domestic terrorism is not a replacement for Muslim terrorism, it was never intended to be. No, it's hyped in the MSM because simply, it's a good way to keep the public distracted, docile and afraid.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
reply to post by weedwhacker

Not sure exactly what religion, but he was a professed white supremist, and think a communist. He carried out the April 19th Okla. bombing because of what happened in Waco, Tx. on April 19th. He was scum like ALL people that kill innocents purposely.
Wasn't Hitler's Birthday on April 20th?

Timothy McVeigh was a lapsed Catholic. In fact, before he was executed in Indiana in 2001, he was given the last rites by a Catholic priest. Yes, indeed, Timothy McVeigh was a parasite and scumbag murderer. However, we have the same type of people among all strata of society. It is a sick and twisted world we have to make do with.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Yet I doubt the OP and others in this thread would feel quite as justified exercising their judgments toward Christianity as a whole.

First) Would you care to show me where I've judged the man based on his religion instead of his actions in this thread?

I believe the only group I've made any judgments about here is the MSM.

Second) In your first post in this thread, you're calling for equal judgment of all groups of people. Would you care to link a thread where you've defended the Tea Party? Or do you believe that one bad tea partier spoils the whole bunch?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone

Ms. Heretic,
The man is a Muslim. He happens to have been my neighbor when he lived in my town. The first house he abandoned, along with is family, a year ago before he moved in with his 'Girlfriend' is on the route I walk every night two blocks or so from my home! He kept to himself much of the time and only his next door neighbors seem to have known him. He told them he worked on Wall Street and was away from home much of the time!

Zindo

wow that's wild, you knew him.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
And she's definitely not intelligent, but you focused on a completely benign comment and have completely misconstrued it. The reason she said it, is exactly BECAUSE there have been so many Muslim terrorist events lately.

I didn't misconstrue her comment at all. She's very clear about what she meant when you listen to that audio. Contessa Brewer isn't concerned about the attacks happening that might injure innocent people, she's concerned that because the attacks are coming from Muslim extremists that the country will turn into a Muslim-hating population.

What I said in my first response to the initial post - she isn't worried about extremists groups actually plotting to kill Americans, she's worried about what Americans will think about people who worship the same religion as these extremist whackos. She's more concerned about political correctness than anything else.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by sos37]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin
These media companies have 'no idea why' they are losing memberships because they can better argue any financial bailouts to their benefits without implicating themselves and their awful practices.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This doesn't have anything to do with Tim McVeigh.

It has everything to do with the tone and look on her face. The one that said:

"How can this be? It couldn't possibly be a muslim that did this! I thought for sure it was going to be an anti-big government tea party member!"

I bet she went and wept in her dressing room after that...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Now the Pakistani-American is accused of trying to detonate a homemade car bomb in New York City's bustling Times Square. Authorities have brought terrorism and mass destruction charges against him, saying he has confessed to receiving explosives training in Pakistan.

www.cbsnews.com...

admitted to training in Pakistan

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Nice try at deflection, BTW.....

I thought you kind of did that when you brought up McVeigh. lol The way I see it, he is ALWAYS brought up to point out an example of 'homegrown Christian [although that wasn't really his cause] terrorism.' It really is straw grasping when it's the same guy brought up over and over to deflect.

But that's not really the point of interest for me. I'm not worried about McVeigh or Christians or Muslims or Tea Partiers right now. I'm more focused on my confusion as to the inspiration for her statements.

My very first impression was along the lines of what BH said above. Are we sure the woman meant 'Damn! I was hoping it was the right wingers!'? because to me it just sounded like 'Damn. Here we go again.'

It's the exact same way I feel when I hear a news story about what a Christian extremist does. As in, yes I feel frustrated as well because I know what's coming and all 2 billion of us are going to get trashed due to what some did.

So how do we really know what she meant. Although ya'll's interpretation sounds juicer, to me it just means what I would feel if the situation were reversed. I'd feel frustrated to hear it was a Christian or a conservative.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

He might have been Buddhist

apnews.myway.com...

www.dawn.com...

How the hell did you come up with that assertion?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777
This guy will say anything to stop the pain. Soon he'll admit to masterminding the uss cole bombing. I mean Jesus Christ. How can this guy recieve explosives training
And pull off a horrible job? He left the lights to 'his' suv flashing of all things.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join