It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you watch T.V still?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
i watch alot of tv only because im unemployed and im figuring out to do with my life . maybe if i watch enough of the tube an idea will fly out and kick me in the ass. i really do feel as though tv is purposly made to dumb us down as a society. a part of a large scale dumb down effort by the government to melt our brains and turn us into slobberying idiots that will follow everything were told to do.
\
oh wait a minute, thats how obama got elected!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I still watch tv. In fact tonight I'm gonna watch "Fringe". I also watch the Science channel, National Geographic, History, Discovery, and ScyFy channels off and on.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
yea tv is kinda giving way to ipods and ipads and macbooks and stuff. before, tv was the only technology to waste your time with

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

For me, TV has become background noise while I do things online. Sometimes i listen to music, and sometimes i put the tv on a documentary and just casually listen while doing other things.

I try not to watch very much mind numbing TV(sitcoms, reality shows, game shows, etc). I watch Discovery, History, Cooking, etc. If I'm going to watch TV, I would like to be able to get something useful from it.

Many state how bad TV is but I think it would be more accurat to say their is a lot of bad stuff on tv, but TV itself is not inherently bad. It can be a really useful tool. I tend to learn very well having information dictated via a video/TV medium. But if I watch crap, my head gets filled with crap. If I watch educational qaulity TV, my head gets filled with that.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I have a 57" projector TV and I haven't turned it on for about a month. I realized I wasn't watching more than a few hours per month so I canceled my satellite subscription about 5 months ago. I just have the digital broadcasts now. Saving lots of money. Instead of 150 channels of nothing I have 30.

You pay all that money for a subscription and they then make you watch endless advertisement. The programming is so bizarre and confusing. I used to watch the science like channels but all those channels have been taken over by simpleton programming also. What's the purpose of TV these days? To train the next crop of serial killers?

Then their is the News. Seemingly designed to get you depressed enough to jump off a bridge. Do I want to listen to what the whore politicians say..... No. So why turn it on?

On the computer I can choose exactly what I want to view exactly when I want to view it. And so far not much advertisement.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Its funny you say that, my wife and I usually record everything we watch and then view it later commercial free. The other day I was forced to watch something in real time and see the commercials in-between the program. Its amazing just how annoying they are and just how loud the volume is on most. Its no wonder you get a headache watching TV in real time.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I still watch it.. got favourite programmes besides i love deciphering all the NWO propaganda in most adverts and shows.

I'm awake thus i have a resistance against their experiments..unlike the rest of my family

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Seems to be the result of the natural spiritual process of our consciousness rising. I stopped watching t.V. Years ago.I have noticed a"quickening" and a mass awakening, maybe it's the result of the internet? maybe more spiritual, time will tell!
i find it hard to talk with people because i have noticed their consciousness has not risen above television, at the begining i was frustrated but now i understand that i must develop ways to better articulate my thoughts even if i have to dumb it down for them, or meet them where they are at. A good place to start is by looking into the origins of soap operas, you will find that the radio story lines developed to sell laundry soap became expanded to what we call sit-coms,family shows,etc. So the commercial way the whole purpose! not just a fill in. Another reason for your spirit to reject such materialism! also check out "the century of the self"

[edit on 29-4-2010 by REDPILLOICU812]

MOD EDIT: Converted all caps.

Mod Note: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on April 29th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hey when I'm buzzzing I like to watch M.A.SH and Fringe, the human target, House, sci fi stuff, Monster Quest and related ....american Idol..he he he etc...HBO Pacific series..

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I remember about five years ago, I would make time for my entertainment hour(s), like watching Reba, What I Like About You, Smallville (these are the first ones that come to mind
). Now, when I turn on the TV, I feel like my brain is being slapped with pure idiocy. News stations genuinely suck now-I know, I know-, TV shows are incredibly stupid (like Gossip Girl), and every commercial is filled with the same repetitive advertising technique: buy, buy, buy!!!

Things have changed, and I'm glad.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I honestly don't mean to sound pompous but those who are claiming that the internet is a superior alternative to TV should consider:

- Every website requires a monetized mechanism for sustainability. (i.e. profit)
just like a TV network. (Some might exist as a loss-leader to a profitable parent company) But essentially they are profit driven in order to survive.

- Websites, like TV contain ads.

- You are free to pick and choose which websites you frequent and avoid them if you don't enjoy them. Just like TV.

- Websites are more likely to data mine personal information than a TV.

- Anything written will inherently contain a modicum of bias if it is written by a human being.

- Live TV is every bit as instantaneous (if not more so) than the web in covering breaking events.

So for the record TV, Computers, Smart Phones and GPS enabled devices are all evil cousins. (all part of Digital Convergence) Please don't think you are immune from attempts to be influenced simply because you choose to not watch TV. Just sayin.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming........

[edit on 29-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
indeed i often find myself ponering that aswell

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I stopped watching TV around 2 years ago. Before I'd completely stopped it got to the point where I only watched 3 hours a week max, had to mute all commercials (just couldn't stand them), and I only watched the history/movie channels aside from late night cartoons with mature content.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Real Time with Bill Maher, not stupid TV

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Badmove,

I feel the same but I am something of a backslider about watching TV.

Major events like the 1952 national political conventions brought black and white TV into my parents home. It was such a big event that neighbor hood kids I barely spoke to felt they could walk into my home to watch Howdy Doody without even knocking at the door. Even as a kid I was puzzled by the sight of other kids watching the test pattern in anticipation of the beginning of the days broadcast at 4:30 PM.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Cost outweighs benefit

Funny story: when I went to UPS to send back my receiver/remote/anything of value, a lady in front of me was doing the same thing and getting rid of her sat. I think people are waking up and noticing that nature is much more interesting than "real world season 4,000,003".

Beautiful day out today
Enjoy it.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Very interesting question!
1. I have not had cable for 13 months - not worth the money. I don't miss it. The shows are stupid, they waste my time, I feel like I am being spoken to like a 10 year, the commercials only piss me off.
2. My son (25 yo) hates TV - doesn't even have a TV in his apt.
3. Two of my friends canceled their cable over 18 months ago.

I get my news on the internet and stream movies, occasionally stream OLD shows like Bonanza and Dean Martin Roasts. (cause they were clever and damn funny)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Below is some of the Delta/Gamma programming that's on, the dead love it. The programming for the Alpha/Betas is a bit more involved and a bit sneakier but in the end it boils down to the same thing.

Seinfeld | George's date gets credit for a burrito purchase; Newman once dumped Jerry's love interest; Kramer clashes with a former sportsman. |
| Seinfeld | Jerry's mechanic (Brad Garrett) steals his vehicle; Kramer and Newman plan to return used bottles to Canada. |
| Seinfeld | George's crossed phone lines acquaint the gang with a asian woman who isn't what she seems. |
| Seinfeld | Kramer spots Jerry's stolen vehicle in Ohio; Elaine gives Peterman Jerry's golf clubs; George is institutionalized in a mental health facility. |
| Seinfeld | Elaine dates the man who delivered Jerry's new couch. |
| Seinfeld | Jerry, George, Kramer and Elaine all vie at self-denial; guests Estelle Harris, Jane Leeves.
| Jobbers | The unappreciated role of the wrestling jobber. |
|
| Vegas Confessions | A woman meets a ``sugar daddy''; a man's birthday hook-up becomes more involved than he bargained for. |
| Las Vegas | Ed and Danny have 12 hours to save Delinda from her parents; Mike and Sam try to figure out whether a Taoist monk's major winning-streak is a fraud. |
| Vegas Confessions | Confessions from a man who only has eyes for Meghan; a woman talks about her first public sex.
| Corner Gas | Phillip fills in for the gas truck driver.
The Fix-Xanax/Ritalin/Legal Drug Abuse | Mira is prescribed some drugs but begins selling them; Belinda's condition continues to deteriorate and she almost overdoses on Xanax. | Kick decides to go on an extreme camping trip; Mrs. Chicarelli's dog runs away while Kick is dog-sitting.

I rest my case.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
All I watch on TV is survivor heroes vs villains. I find most programs and movies are pretty poor these days. Dark days when entertainment fails to entertain. I've learned that Money is to blame for almost everything now, and to be honest I don't want to be involved with the corrupt system. Spend most of my time here online learning survival techniques etc, in time I'm just going to disappear. I hate this world, I hate money, I hate the elite. We should have been utilizing the technological advances that currently exist, instead money holds back progress. After all, it's cheaper to pollute the world. I know I've spiraled off topic here. I felt like venting a little frustration.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I don't remember who but skimming through the contents on page 2 or 3 somebody said their kid can count up to 20 in a bunch of languages all thanks to television programming.

I think that was you Hattiecookie. Well I'm glad your boy likes the programming, some of the children programming is actually quiet good. Here's one you might want to sit down with him when he's around five or so, it's an amazingly cute and well-done introduction to Satan for kids (and we all want our kids to know about Satan when they're real young):

www.youtube.com...

I totally love this video, I hope you two do too once you've seen it.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join