It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you watch T.V still?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I will be perfectly honest with you and tell you about my relation with the TV. When I was a kid, a fairly small child, I used to watch tv programmes, mainly cartoons, about 8 hours a day. Given the fact I was small, I enjoyed it alot, plus it really did help me with learning English. I have to say, that around the time when I turned 14 something changed. As if someone flipped a switch in my head and told me to "back-off". I slowly stopped watching cartoons and regular tv shows and movies, realizing it's not that fun anymore. When I learned about the whole NWO conspiracy when I was almost 16, everything changed. Up till then, I was watching TV by just switching channels, feeding of what "they" had to serve me, being a total consumer, sitting infront of the damn thing many many hours per day, eating all the dumb, negative vibrations. As I was getting deeper into all the data on how things really are, I stopped watching half of the channels, picking only what I want to see - checking the programme guide in advance and highlighting programmes I'm interested in - nowadays it's just a few documentaries here and there plus a few tv shows. I watch news channels only a few minutes a day and then I skim through like just 8 of my favorite channels if there's something interesting on and if not, I don't watch TV at all. In fact, the last couple of months I've been skimming through those few channels only during the breakes, just to see promos and bumpers, I don't watch the channels and programmes themself that much anymore, plus I have a DVR, so there's really no need for me to sit infront of the telly the whole day. News is mainly negative and I get more objective news on the net than on TV. I can't understand people who watch all those spanish sitcoms the whole day or people who need to be feeded with news so they have CNN on 24/7 or people who are frustrated about money and need to know if the Euro has moved by 0.2, etc. It's just stupid. People who can't turn the TV off are seriously trapped. Instead of looking at the EPG what's on, they have to zap through the channels to "see" what's on...That way they don't get to see anything in full length, never. It's really dumb to think the programme will be different a minute later, zapping through 100 channels like a slave. And if you take out the batteries out of the remote or take the remote away, those people get agressive. I may be hooked on to my computer 10 hours a day, but that's because I want to, because I know it has for me something to offer - freedom. I can do anything at any time, with the TV I can't. And don't get me started on commercials... I'm glad I don't live in the US. No offense to anyone living there, but the majority of people there are really brainwashed thanks to the TV - the channels really do spread negative patterns literally sticking you to the seat, like a perfume. Just look at Hulu commercials and you'll know what's happening. It's sad.

[edit on 29/4/10 by Cybernet]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I dont watch TV as much as i used to. Only watch two shows. House, and Chuck.

TV in general pisses me off with how everything is presented. Cant stand the brain washing crap they present to us. the news, reality TV, etc... all garbage. Its not entertaining anymore.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Now and then i'll catch the Daily Show/Colbert Report or whatnot. Enjoyed the few Tim and Eric episodes i've seen, they're...unique. But my TV remains off for weeks at a time aside from those brief events.

I'll never let TV schedules dictate my life, so most times i just channel surf and see nothing but garbage, and it doesn't take long for me to get so disgusted i turn it off for another week or two. I'm similarly disgusted with threads i see here and other places online which parrot the same type of media or mainstream garbage you can easily find on TV. This site at least doesn't have daily "OMG Ipad" threads, so its got that going for it. The delusional political opinions spawned by Glenn Beck and others which people hold as their own i could do without.

TV is all either rabid consumerism and materialism, or flat out lies and manipulation which only serves to get me fuming.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I feel your Pain man . Most of the shows on TV nowadays are just Mindless Drivel . Once in awhile though , you come across something that Actually Entertains you . Case in point , Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares on BBC TV . I Love this guys Hard Nosed approach at trying to save dead or dying eating establishments run by people without a Clue . In the end , some of them get it and take his advice , others are either too stubborn or too dumb to see what they are doing wrong . All in all , one of the few shows I watch on the Boob Tube anymore...... . I guess it's just a sign of the times that television is becoming a Dinosaur when it comes to generating interest from the public at large .

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
Would it bother any of you to think your TV may be actively "spying" on you,or in the future be able to alter your thinking in ways aside from just making you want to go out and buy certain products?

I was going to respond to this by making some smart aleck remark about not watching TV in my underpants and scratching...

until I read this part...

But why is the government so anxious to help American citizens experience a clearer and more highly defined television picture? Does that make sense to you? Since when is the government so concerned about the visual quality of our televised entertainment that congress would pass an undebated statutory proclamation which mandated that the HD conversion take place on Feb. 17, 2009 and and then subsidze about 90% of the associated cost?"....

That really did make me think. Why would they be so concerned about the quality of our television signal?

I am usually fairly skeptical about such things, but this really is a legitimate question. Hmmm....

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
After replying here earlier tonight, i had to go over to my neighbors place for a little while, when i got there, 5 people (3 of which had stopped by to visit) were silently watching East Enders (a UK soap opera in the evenings here for those who are lucky to be ignorant of the show)! with grave interest as to what was going on within the lives of the fictional characters.. it ended -yay..but no, they continue to talk about these fictional characters as though they were relatives or close friends to them.. its quite disturbing.

I do agree that there can be good shows on the box, and that information can actually get to people through it, but its a small percentage compared to the mind rotting crap that over powers anything else.. i dont tell people that they shouldnt have them or watch them, each to their own.. i just personally do not think they are a good idea, and too many people revolve their lives around its progamming.. one can always find better ways of spending time..

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

The last time I watched TV was last night with a friend because there was nothing else to do. However, before that, the last time I watched tv was quite literally in January. I lost interest in it long ago. The internet, HULU, youtube, and other things simply make it better. If its retarded, you just leave. I feel as though tv is a parade of idiocracy, moral decay, and in general mind numbing stupidity. I find more facts and better news on the Daily show than I do on news. I find better scifi occasionally than anything I see on TV. I also am able to create my own things and broadcast that. Far better.

In my opinion, TV is dying, and will be dead within the decade. TV itself, as an item, will transform into home theaters, linked to the internet. TV broadcasting lines will become input lines (like the channel system secondary to the TV one), and will only be used for some form of government programming.

They already killed basic TV for DTV. That's just a transition before ITV, internet TV.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

LOL I get insulted just hearing about the stuff that is on now (although I would kinda like to see Jesse Ventura's show. I can't lie). I can't believe people actually watch some of this stuff & actually follow it!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Television holds very little interest any more.

When the Discovery and History channels think that there is some inherent interest and value in watching people i) fly planes in the North, ii) cut down trees, iii)sell things, iv) drive trucks, v) fish or vi) just generally bicker at each other, you know television has hit a new low.

It's a damned shame, too, because both of these channels used to be very good for their programming and do still have the odd show that is interesting to watch but the reality genre has really kicked the hell out of their integrity.

Aside from these two channels and my unabashed disdain for reality programming, the last moderately intelligent prime-time drama that I watched was Boston Legal. With the exception of B.L. and 24 (for sheer entertainment), I can not think of the last series that had me watching the major networks. Maybe, umm, early The Practice and X-Files would be it.

There are others as well, such as South Park, Nova, Daily Show (getting a bit old now though), Daily Planet et al that are entertaining and not absolutely ridiculous and/or intellectually insulting to watch but they are a serious minority.

edit: pathetic spelling due to sneaking a post at work

[edit on 29-4-2010 by discordantone]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Risen
Now and then i'll catch the Daily Show/Colbert Report or whatnot.
The delusional political opinions spawned by Glenn Beck and others which people hold as their own i could do without.

You do realize that political commentary by the left is just as delusional as the right, don't you? Both sides have you believing that there's a difference, yet they are both wings of the same bird.

Edited to add: I'm not trying to start a political debate here and I'm not trying to bait you into an argument - I'm just sayin'...

[edit on 29-4-2010 by tallcool1]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
I am 49 years old and grew up on T.V. but for some reason, in the last 5 years or so i have not been able to sit in front of the T.V. and watch anything longer than , say 30 mins with out feeling like i am being shot at with" stupid" missiles.
Commercials actually give me a headache and most shows just don't make any sense to me, almost like i don't get it, know what i mean?
Growing up, i seemed that television was centered around family and fun nights together, but now, i just don't know. My wife asked me the other day why we don't watch t.v. together anymore and i had to just tell her the truth, that i just can't watch it anymore, it literally gives me a headache.
I have watched a couple of discover channel documentaries that seemed ok 'til the end , but they leave you hanging just like the old program with Leonard Nemoy,(Spock)ah wife says it was called "in search of"
So ATS'rs, my question is..do you watch T.V. and if so, how does it make you feel?
It makes me feel like i am being dumbed down and i just can't watch it any more.

thoughts?

edit for wife help

[edit on 29-4-2010 by baddmove]

I have one or two channels on and that is the qubo network and accuweather channel since I don't have cable and I like cartoons. Most stuff I watch are on the internet. TV has become real stupid as of late and when I saw two dudes kissing by channel surfing; I knew this just solidified my conclusion. This was a soap opera that I saw this uncanny thing happen.

link   
There are a few shows that I watch, but other than that, my tv is used for movies and gaming. I can't stand the obsession with american idol and the sorry excuse for horse dung they play on mtv. I call tv the good ole brain eraser.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by cosmicunderstanding]

link   
I stopped watching tv for the same reason as you did, even the 'news' is not news anymore, and the only shows I watch are the simpsons, and family guy, cleveland, american dad based on my cable plan. The rest of the shows are just complete and utter tripe.

I'm actually going to cancel my highspeed internet and cable tomorrow, except for low speed internet.

When I want real news, I go straight to ATS then everywhere else for the complete story, or a story as complete as possible, and the ATS member inputs are priceless in the literal sense.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I've not watched TV for almost a year, unless i'm at someones house and they have got their TV on. I just find it boring now with all the repeats...... There's nothing new on TV anymore, I've seen almost everything. There's no new idea's

[edit on 29/4/10 by zara_bow]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Oh come on, that is ridiculous. What about BBC, HBO, History Channel and National Geographic. yes, not everything is all learning and the best quality, but thats only because they have a very wide sprectrum of viewers who demands different entertainement.

Take the 8 hour long BBC serie Earth where in hi definition we get to see our own world from a view so outstanding it makes you shiver.

Or History channels series about the greek gods. They give us information wich in books are almost impossible to get trough in a clear language that is both entertaining and educational.

Or survivor man where this dude shows how to survive anywhere, litterally.

You have to broaden your own perspective and not always believe everything is propaganda. There are people out there that avtually like teaching and giving while making good money.

The last 20 years of tv has given me more than most other media outlets. I mean what most docus we find in here has many clips from television.

Btw Real Time with Bill Maher is a good show.

So is South Park, there i said it.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I watch a few shows... mainly on sunday night (hbo/showtime? a couple network tv shows but not much house/breaking bad but all is on the internet due to hatred of commercials... i watch zero news tho tired of propaganda...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Used to watch certain shows religiously years ago... but then I realized I can get the type of shows I liked (commercial free) off the net and discovered many shows that aren't even on your 100 channel cable box... that are much better... LOVE shows done by BBC, I found them to be much thought provoking then the dumb ars American shows.. like 24, etc.. (Lost is still so so.. but last year of that). I found MOST North American shows to be simply dumb... they pretty much explain the entire story for you, so you don't have to think... and the good ones are redo of England shows! SO British shows are better in my opinion and I can't get them in Canada.. so no TV for me for 5 years now... i mean NONE.. just certain shows (Family guy still makes me laugh though)!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I rarely watch the telly, mostly cause there's... well, nothing to watch. I sat down for the first time in a while to watch The Pacific recently though (on a channel without commercial breaks yay).

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Just think of it in this way . All humans on this planet was little kids at one time. But we live in a world of psychotic delusional basterds that want to punish the human race for there own self goals .

I love the VCR . The best thing ever. Vhs tapes are so cool to me ,

Here is my VHS list of the top 2 I love

1. Terminator
2. Home Alone

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I actually started to seriously dislike TV when my girlfriend was watching those dumb and useless tv shows at home...then she left, taking the TV with her. It's been 3 months now, and apart from a few CNN sessions once in a while at my parents' house to practice my English, I just don't watch it anymore.
I feel great about that, realizing I don't give a damn and stil live my life...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join