It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you watch T.V still?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

That's why I only watch the shows I like...usually comedy or something educational...but I'm on the internet more often these days, so I watch less TV now...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Because of the blatent subliminal messages (adds) if you are watching a show with full atention and then cut to an add, i am guessing you would be still quite involved in what is shown on the tv, imprinting that message along with a feeling from the show being watched at time of add.?

eg: I have put a stop to eating at any of the major fast food outlets (unless drunk or sugested by someone else) since not watching tv?

also tv realy is worse than a good paper a day and good internet conection.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I firmly believe TV is the cause of the majority of social problems in the world. Especially, hatred, paranoia, sexism, and stupidity.

The News and commercials are responsible IMO for 90% of this; side effects include(and I do mean side effects, the news and commercials are no different than nicotine): paranoia, delusions, mania, hysteria, anxiety, depression. The news will cause you to hate the arabs, hate the chinese, hate Iran, and possibly hate yourself and other members of this society (specifically white males). Commercials will give you, 'the look'. You know what I'm talking about. I swear to god I literally feel my soul getting sucked out of me when I watch some of these ADs. These commercials are so mesmerizing that I often find myself watching them even on the DVR! Does this happen to anyone else?

Think about this next time you watch TV. How is this stuff affecting people on a psychological level. How are the psychological tricks used in commercials rubbing off on people. What problems might this cause for us. Most importantly, think about how this stuff will affect children. They spend a huge portion of their day in front of that thing. They haven't lived long enough to know how things truly are in the world. So, naturally, their brain will look to commercials to build its view of reality. They will start believing things like: 1 drugs are the best way to solve your problems. 2 most people are horrible bastards, because they abuse animals and the environment. 3 material possessions are fun fun fun, spend your whole life working as a slave to the system, so you can spend spend spend, because the bests things in life cost money. 4 men are idiots 5. all men are rapists 6. Your college will be paid for you and everybody will love you if you join the military ... I could go on and on...

[edit on 30-4-2010 by sliceNodice]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Shut off my hypnotic idiot box a couple of years ago and have not looked back, nor regretted the decision whatsoever...My entertainment is immersing myself into the wonder and beauty of nature, and the nature of what I AM.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I haven't watched TV since the date of my last post: 25/11/2009... and since then I have done so many things on an evening that I shall not even list them. I'm considering returning to ATS on a more regular basis but I've even pretty much shunned the internet.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by lunchbuddy

WTF where did you find this rare gem of a video? Also, was this seriously shown on television? If it was, I'm sure there were some phone calls to the network.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am fifty three years age and since leaving home at age eighteen I have not had a TV nor would I want a TV. Television content is just not what it used to be. It has changed. I remember how it was in the days of Black and White TV and how interesting it was when Colour TV began just in time for us to watch the Apollo space missions to the Moon. Amazing at the time. My decission to get by without a TV was originally economic, but also my religious sensitivity too. I embrace the Internet and Computers. However, in years to come that novelty might wear thin too. Interestingly I often go to the cinema to watch the good movies that occassionally come out. Sci-Fi space movies interest me. But such genre are quite rare. The girls I know seem to still enjoy to watch the TV, probably because the TV producers are deliberately creating programmes that especially appeal to the feminine population. We men are not being catered for. However men are being provided the computer games that are full of violence. I often practice my submarine warfare skills using "Silent Hunter" by Ubi Soft. The girls I know might have a laptop computer but are still not yet as computer nut as I am. Things will change. The years ahead will no doubt bring things to entertain us that we here now cannot imagine. Instead of wasting time watching TV I instead waste far too much time on my computer. My work is also on the computer now. I obviously need to get some fresh air. Which I have been recently, since I have been doing political campaigning for the General Elections. Delivering pamphlets door to door. Meeting people. Chating with them. The exercise is fabulous. I wish that I could get out and about doing it more often.

[edit on 30/4/2010 by CAELENIUM]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I do not watch it much, as most things are boring, or just stupid.
There used to be some good shows, but those days are long gone. The ones that are good are pulled.

They leave the stupid shows that show parents being run by their children,
brain dead people. They way the PTB want everyone. Its sick.

Even the documentaries these days support global warming or some agenda.
What is with " Life without people". Come on.

I watch the office, and I watch that one Hulu. My daughter still watches cartoons. We have an older TV. I do not care to upgrade, as I do not watch it and will not spend thousands of dollars for an ornament,lol

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I only watch a few downloaded TV series.

No commercials and no annoyances.

As long as I dont have to hear or see the moronic TV presenters or their guests, all is OK. Too bad I have to resort to downloading to get 100% content and no distractions.

TV is for people who enjoy crap.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well, I'm not ashamed to admit I watch a decent amount of TV. I don't have cable however and A LOT of the shows I watch are on PBS. Even so, it is never over my head when an agenda is being shoved down my throat. I'm on the fence about global warming (human caused or natural cycle)but it doe annoy me when many of the PBS show about GW tout human causation.

When I see commercials I always make a comment about how obvious it is what the underlying message is (subliminal or not) so it's not like I mindlessly watch it and soak in everything that is thrown at me without being fully aware of the advertisers/programmers intentions.

You can chastise me all you want, but at least I'm aware of what is going on and the shows I watch are for pure entertainment. I dare say it's almost like reading a book where you get immersed in the story and get involved with the characters (I don't watch "reality" shows or uber dramas. Mostly comedy and educational shows on PBS). I do read books. I only read non-fictional ones at that. Mostly philosophy. I like a variety of entertainment whether it be tv, music, books, internet, outdoors, etc. If that makes me a person who "enjoys crap" then so be it.

edit: sentence omission

[edit on 30-4-2010 by nunya13]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
We switched to neflix.com about a year ago and absolutely love it. The TV commercials were simply unbearable. An hour-long show is actually about 42 min., the rest is mindless commercials. No more

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The only time my tv is on, is when I'm watching historical documentaries. On history type channels. I no longer watch the tv for any other reason. I simply now can't do it, entertainment/news wise.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Rarely, but when I do I refer to it as "blacking out". I feel like instead of rising above everyday conscious awareness and becoming one with the present moment, I am falling below it. I try to catch myself and do some conscious breathing to negate the blacking out part.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by bringthelight]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I don't EVEN OWN a television, I hate it when I go to others houses and they have it on, I ask them to trun it off. Can't stand the BS that is presented. I do watch comedies like "That 70's Show" and "Family Guy" and the other cartoons on my computer sometimes, but that's just to relax after a working hard all day. And it isn't that often either.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I cant stand that when im ill I suddenly become more aware of the sensitivity I have when I'm watching the TV. infact ive only recently started to watch less of it due to the intense colouring and sudden camera changes the produces tediously use that make me nauseas at times.

This is especially so in Music video's where the camera's can spin or have fish-lens with repititive beats what are almost inticing of a Epileptic Episode. These very same effects ive noticed were used for the recent Political Leaders Debate, mimicking the same colours and camera angles used on a popular morning talk-show in the UK.

So now the TV is switched off again, and i'm back to watching only documentaries that are avaliable through OD or Google/Youtube video.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I watch mostly online now and if I do watch anything it's no more than 6 hours a week. That way I can gain some control over commercials and what is being flashed at my eyes n brain meats. I do not watch basic cable or cabel or satellite TV anymore. haven't been an avid TV watcher for 2 years now. I can realate to you in that my family grew up on Tv too. and YES when i do happen to venture into a room where someone is watching TV it gives me all kinds of headaches n *rap. I noticed that The 3d movies do this to me too.
Also I'd like to add that ever since I took a hold of the reigns of my own entertainment my mind has been quite crisp and clear. There are so many things on the internet that a free and bull&*it free that what's the use of watching anything mainstream? I never really liked it in the first place it used to be just a way to VEG out and have some background noise, a very good way to hypnotise the masses. excuses the typos I'm not really concerned with them right now.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The last good series on TV was the Xfiles. XP so no reason to watch anymore. hehe

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I still watch good television. I watch shows that don't contain a lot of silly crap that either bores me to death, or is so stupid I feel dumber for having watched it.

I do agree that television used to be better just a few years back. Today's programs just suck. American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, and America's Got Talent are the three worst shows ever created. The Biggest Loser is also pretty stupid... but at least it's helping people lose weight. That's a plus.

So... yeah. TV is just dumb anymore. Nothing worth watching much anymore.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
I am 49 years old and grew up on T.V. but for some reason, in the last 5 years or so i have not been able to sit in front of the T.V. and watch anything longer than , say 30 mins with out feeling like i am being shot at with" stupid" missiles.
Commercials actually give me a headache and most shows just don't make any sense to me, almost like i don't get it, know what i mean?

So ATS'rs, my question is..do you watch T.V. and if so, how does it make you feel?
It makes me feel like i am being dumbed down and i just can't watch it any more.

thoughts?

edit for wife help

[edit on 29-4-2010 by baddmove]

I completely agree and understand.

I actually went through a period of my life where I was staying up way too late every night, just flipping channels on the tv, or playing video games. I was tired every day and I felt like I was wasting my life, or at least my nights. I knew it had to stop, but I was just so used to laying in bed at night, waiting for sleep to come, while watching tv, that I couldnt break the habit.

Finally, one day I had an epiphany. I took my tv, my dvd player, all my video games and gave them to my little brother. Everyone was shocked, but my brother was super stoked of course.

Every day, I would come home and play guitar for hours and hours. I became really good in a short amount of time, and started playing in bands and performing. I would read at night and it helped me with my insomnia, while learning new things at the same time.

On those nights when I still couldnt sleep, I started inviting lady friends over for some actual human interaction. (Much better than tv. I promise!)

Basically, with all the time I used to spend watching tv at night I was now using to do things that not only provided far more enjoyment and satisfaction, but would also give me something for the time I put into it, unlike a television set.

Recently, I started watching tv again. But not commercials or news. Me and my lady like to watch high quality shows together. Its not the best way to spend an evening, sure. But its entertainment, and it gives us a reason to forget our troubles for a moment, and become enveloped by a good story.

Shows I'd highly recommend that we currently watch: Spartacus, Dexter, True Blood, Lost, Fringe, V, The Pacific, Justified, etc... all either on Demand, or recorded on our DVR so we can fast forward through any commercial nonsense.

Sorry to waste your time with my story, but this is just whats worked for me.

And, I have one tv in the house, far away from my bedroom.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I don't watch televsion often, as most of the shows are mindless entertainment and I don't like mindless entertainment. Commercials irritate me, especially as the amount of commercials between/during shows are increasing like mad. The only things I do watch are WW2 documentaries on the History/Discovery/Natgeo channel, and movies on the movie channel. No commercials and in HD quality, so it rocks for movie fans like me

Shows I did like I bought the DVD boxes from (Millenium, X-Files, Kingdom Hospital, Six feet under) to get away from the evil commercials that waste my time. I like collecting things, makes me happy, compared to mindless entertainment and commercials.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join