It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you watch T.V still?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

The tv-pc pc-tv thing is to do with ratings, which are then used for pricing advertising revenue.

Well obviously this is how the Gov't is allowed to monitor everyone via their televisions

The point is if they have the ability and know-how to monitor what shows people are viewing for ratings, they have the ability and know-how to do a whole hell of a lot more - for example, I walk in my house, turn on my TV, and 5 minutes later the cops pull up in my driveway..

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by danhow

The Brittish version?

Because the American one isn't funny at all.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
reply to post by danhow

The Brittish version?

Because the American one isn't funny at all.

I don't find the british one funny it just seems a lot of rubbish to me!lol

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
I am 49 years old and grew up on T.V. but for some reason, in the last 5 years or so i have not been able to sit in front of the T.V. and watch anything longer than , say 30 mins with out feeling like i am being shot at with" stupid" missiles.
Commercials actually give me a headache and most shows just don't make any sense to me, almost like i don't get it, know what i mean?

Your probably like me, all the new stuff is geared to a younger audience that tolerates immoral lifestyle. All commercials are geared to a certain group i.e. drunks, herpes infected, erectile disfunc. and older folks that need vitamins.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by danhow

Er! what! The American one is poor rip-off of the British version.

No offense to Americans, but I find most of your style of comedy to be quite shallow, and as a result, not very funny at all. But maybe thats just a cultural thing *shrugs*

[edit on 30/4/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
On actual TV i watch Doctor Who regularly on BBC 1 - its a fantastic show, and great escapism.... plus since im allready paying my licence i dont have to put up with commercials ( although a few times ive missed it and watcied it on iplayer in HD - even better )

The rest of the " TV " i watch, its american stuff like Stargate Universe, Family Guy, American Dad etc... ill watch Family Guy and American Dad on BBC3 , again with no commercials... but usually ive allready gotten hold of it through other sources, same with Stargate Universe - i pay for my Subscription to Sky... so i dont feel morally wrong getting hold of it early :p

Also the American version of The Office is funny in its own way, its nothing like our version... but its still hilarious... i watch that regularly... through ahem other sources :p

I also find myself re-watching old BBC comedy such as Red Dwarf and Blackadder regularly, it doesnt matter how many times you watch them - theyre ALWAYS funny.

[edit on 30/4/10 by dawa]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dawa

I have never really watched British t.v. do you over there have a lot of commercials too? or is it different than here in America?
I used to watch Benny hill when i was younger..great show..loved it!

[edit on 30-4-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
haha dr. who's cool.. i just watched the "movie" the other weekend; haven't seen any shows with the new doctor yet - for some reason they just don't look like they'll be as good as the last few seasons....

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

If you have any interest in computers and have Netflix, you simply must watch "IT Crowd". A british TV comedy that's hilarious.

That said. I'm in my late 40's and watch very little TV and am thinking of ditching cable and just gatting an iPad when Hulu releases it's app in June and watching TV shows wirelessly. iPad already has Netflix Player app (Netflix acct. with DVD delivery and streaming movies is th best $9/mo. you'll ever spend), and the ABC Network Player app is freakin' incredible too (very Hulu like). Also, the web and iPad has better picture and quality than I get on DirecTV. I pay $85/mo. to DirecTV already and I don't see the need to pay more to get clearer HD quality when I can get HD quality already on the internet (through above mentioned sources) and iPad for free, to see most shows and videos.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by thepixelpusher]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
The new Doctor is very good. He has that Tenet vibe while being uniquely his own. Worth checking out.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
i didnt watch TV from 1989 to 2000, i worked in the mountains and spent all my time hiking, mountainbiking and snowboarding.

when i would drive by the movie theaters i would have no idea what the movies were about from their titles, i wasn't bombarded by the advertisements.

though watching the simpsons and seinfeild was awesome when i started to watch TV again, now i just watch forensic files, first 48, cops, americas most wanted, southern fried stings,...

im hooked on reality tv crime programming.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
forgot, the Internet is just as bad. really the true hard core realist would not even have the internet as well as no TV

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
the one and only tv advert i have seen that was entertaining and i still remember, was - i think for cerial? where the kids freaking out in the isle because he wants what his mother wont let him buy.. she stops for a second, looks at him then throws herself on the floor and has a tantrum like he was throwing.. i almost wet myself.. that was very funny

edited for wording

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Full_Vision]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I only watch tv for sports. European football, basketball and American football. Anything else I don't bother with. TV is poison.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
When FTA was working I watched a bit but now its a hassel and everything is online.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I think television is another way "they" use to dumb down society. Think about how many amazing topics there are to showcase (history, nature, biology) and then watch your average television show.

Television could be such a great educator, but instead, it's all about entertainment and entertainment is a good way to keep the monkeys docile. It's been shown that television deprives children of other important experiences that their brains need to develop. Some studies show that children who have watched too much TV have poor communication skills.

And television encourages the brain to be passive. This isn't a good time in our earth's history for humans to be passive-----we need to be engaged. Of course, everyone needs a little down time, and TV is okay for that.

To me, the Internet is completely engaging. I'm still amazed that anything I want to know and learn is available to me in real time. I remember as a kid, making that long walk to the library......

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Well, he is a Libertarian, so yes, he seems to side with Democrats sometimes. I just love him because he's one of the few who isn't afraid to say how it is on TV.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
in the uk you only ever get to watch repeats, so tv isnt worth watching over here. and what is on isnt worth watching anyway, unless you a big soap fan. because that is all thats seems to be on british tv sucks big time

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Mr Anonymous can tip his tinfoil hat, but a tinfoil cover is a good idea for the tvs and cell phones at night. Aluminum is bad for you, that plus fluoride will give you Alzheimers, but you get it from the chemtrails anyway

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have always had a sense of wariness about the TV, even when I was a child.

I knew that something just wasn't right about it. Be it the commercials that I can now see right through, and know that some of the techniques used in making the adverts are indeed mind-control in nature. Or maybe it was the outright stupidity of the programming.

I canceled our cable television last year, and believe me or not, but for months after, and even now, I notice my head being clearer and thought easier and not cluttered with the haze of random thought noise that television puts in your brain.

With that being said, I do enjoy watching motor sports, ie. American Le Mans Series, and the occasional History, Science, Discovery, etc. special, like the one with Stephen Hawking the other night.

Edit to add: Forgot to put Adult Swim in there. How could I forget about Adult Swim?!

Everything in moderation is my motto.

Pz!

[edit on 30-4-2010 by susp3kt]

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join