It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you watch T.V still?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Just dropping my two cents in. I don't get headaches, but have found myself subconsciously avoiding it. I'm down to practically no TV, and would not be very upset at losing the last bit. This is a question I've been pondering myself for the better part of two years. I noticed that I wasn't watching very much TV. I found this a little strange. True I spend a lot of time on the computer, although my internet usage is only about half as much as my TV usage used to be. I was on the high end of American TV consumers, now less than a half dozen hours in the month. What I do watch is DVR'd so that I don't have to watch the commercials that actually manage to be more insipid than the shows. Still the massive assaut upon all things intelligent is nearly more than can be borne.

When I was young we were given astronauts, scientists, and MD's to look up to. Now I can only think of two intelligent characters on TV, but they're both not to be emulated anti-heroes(Walter White - Breaking Bad and Greg House - House MD). With thousands of hours of programming available for the modern TV viewer the best they can do is two smart people? That aside there is something that I can't quite put my finger on that seems to be pushing a rather large number of the viewing audience away from TV overall.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by benadrit]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I love stand-up too!
But it's always good to see it live, I prefer my music live as well...none of that MTV bull*crp*!
Sydney is hosting the Comedy Festival ATM so I'm lovin' that instead of the idiot box =)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imightknow
Real Time with Bill Maher, not stupid TV

LOL Depends which side you support. I personally don't like him. He keeps portraying that the Democrats are better than the Republicans.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I watch tv quite a bit but it is rather boring most days and provides background noise while I'm doing work or what not.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'm not as old as the OP (see his original post... his wife helping him edit)

Funny that you asked ...

We completed our 2 Yr. agreement with Dish Network 2 months ago.

I have numerous complaints that were echoed by friends and relatives, yet all of us combined have never formally sent to the company(s) (DirecTV also).

. If you are a nighttime viewer and watch 2AM-7AM bloc of programming many of the channels that cost extra (the 200/250 channel bundles), are running infomercials all night.

. Also, the commercials that run as 'local' or 'regional' will run over into the national feed of your program by a few seconds and step on content.

As of 04.2010 we pulled it. (Dish Network)

We can use the money better elsewhere. $60+ a month is ridiculous.

The kids' only show we will miss is Naruto. I can get those from News Groups in HDTV and in Japanese subs or dubbed. NG's have such a huge variety that the sky is the limit.

Edit Wife was laughing about this OP.

[edit on 4·29·10 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1

Originally posted by On the Edge
Would it bother any of you to think your TV may be actively "spying" on you,or in the future be able to alter your thinking in ways aside from just making you want to go out and buy certain products?

I was going to respond to this by making some smart aleck remark about not watching TV in my underpants and scratching...

until I read this part...

But why is the government so anxious to help American citizens experience a clearer and more highly defined television picture? Does that make sense to you? Since when is the government so concerned about the visual quality of our televised entertainment that congress would pass an undebated statutory proclamation which mandated that the HD conversion take place on Feb. 17, 2009 and and then subsidze about 90% of the associated cost?"....

That really did make me think. Why would they be so concerned about the quality of our television signal?

I am usually fairly skeptical about such things, but this really is a legitimate question. Hmmm....

This is the end of the quoted text. Why is quoting screwed up???

Anyway...

I don't know if anyone addressed this yet, but a lot of it had to do with the RF bandwidth that TV occupies. The TV/radio spectrum is severely limited and much sought-after by many users. There is (and was) pressure from the likes of google and the wireless companies to free up bandwidth for handheld broadband devices (iPads, Smartphones, future gadgets, etc.), so the FCC put the heat on the TV Broadcasters to transmit in digital only. Many stations had been simulcasting in analog and HD, which was a real bandwidth hog. By killing analog TV, the FCC freed up all that space for other uses. There's plenty of information out there if you want to research it further, starting with FCC.gov.

Nothing sinister, really, just money doing the talking, as usual.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by AwakeinNM]

[edit on 29-4-2010 by AwakeinNM]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I haven't watched TV since June 2009 thanks to ATS opening my eyes!

I gave my TV set away to a friend and haven't looked back, I don't miss it and my kids don't anymore, they complained at first but it no longer bothers them, I find we have more conversations, they go outside, I do things I should be doing other than sitting on my ass.

My dad came round to see me the other day and commented that it was weird not seeing a TV in the room, we sat chatting for 2 hours and I asked him, "did you miss watching TV"? and he replied "well no, not really" so I said "well there you go, you don't need it".

When I go to other peoples houses they look like zombies sat in front of the TV, they don't seem to move, now that looks weird!

When somebody has the TV on it does irritate me, its a noisy buzzing thing that kidnaps the mind.

I will sometimes watch a funny film on my laptop, but only on occasion, and if the internet stops altogether, then I will do more work in the house and garden!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I stopped watching television about 20 years ago - I was too busy. I havent owned a TV for about 18 years. Its not that I never see TV. If I go to other peoples place, I watch theirs if its on - I have a screen for DVDs - and read a lot.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
myself i don't watch TV at all anymore unless i glance at it at work. Probably been two years I am 27. i watch a few comedy shows on line or a movies rarely like 1 or 2 times a year. I rather read. I feel i can read faster then i can watch something i get more information plus when u read there is more description and it is better because u imagine it and also sway it to your own personal tastes. such as how characters look.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Smiggle

wow..20 years ago eh? that is pretty impressive for today's society, most people think everyone watches t.v. but after reading this whole thread, i see that that is not the case.lot's of great responses here folks! I thank all

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I can honestly say I've never watched a single episode of Star Search or Dancing with the stars, but I'm addicted to news feeds, and regularly scan the satellites for live footage.

Free to Air Satellite TV

Just for the cost of the dish and receiver, you get thousands of channels, news from all over the world, and you get to watch the whole car chase, not just the crash at the end.

I swear, if I hear "CALL NOW" more than once in an hour, I want to throw something at the TV, the phrase should be outlawed.

Free TV will NOT be advertised by your cable provider!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I'm 29 and barely watch any TV now, although I do have it on most of the time for background noise.. maybe that's a bad thing but whatever. I do watch some stuff still, mainly things on the "educational" channels like PBS, History, and NatGeo which is kinda weird because growing up I couldn't stand watching them - call me crazy but am I the only one that thinks it's F**CKING WEIRD how these channels constantly have shows on about UFO's, Ghosts, Monsters, etc?? Back in the 80's I was fascinated by weird stuff, but I didn't find out about most of it without going to the public library... yes, I actually read books back then; but the main reason for doing so was the free Pizza Hut pizzas or whatever -- and since school made us read books I picked the ones I was interested in. (program called Accelerated Reader in middle school, if anyone else remembers that stuff) hmm, funny it's still around...
accelerated reader examples

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Just scrolled up a bit and saw this... I know for a fact that the Gov't is using television to "spy" on people these days, and honestly think them converting everything over to digital was a big part of it...

How do I know for a fact? Easy - me and a friend of mine were playing around with an AV I/O Card in his computer and were having some issues trying to get it to work properly on his television.. it was at least a year ago and I don't remember exactly what was going on at the time, but basically after messing around with different combinations of setting on both the television and computer (they were connected together via coaxial cable) we realized that not only the television was receiving signals from the computer, but the computer was also receiving signals from the television.. which I thought was very "interesting".

I also remember talking about it with one of my uncle's after a few beers one Thanksgiving for whatever reason... and suprisingly he wasn't too impressed. He then proceeded to tell me how the Government has been using "secret channels" to broadcast information - only those intended to view the information would know when and where to "tune in"

Unfortunately I cannot prove anything he's said and I have no idea how he would know about any of it, but he's also not the type of person that goes around lying about things to people..

[edit on 30-4-2010 by sum1one]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

I remember reading your thread when it came out as i like to read the survival threads, I thought this was a great idea and wish i could afford it, at the time i could not, but, saying that, i did some research and found out that satellite tv also has a lot of commercials, and commercials give me a headache. (see OP)

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sum1one

ha! - your uncle sounds cool.

The tv-pc pc-tv thing is to do with ratings, which are then used for pricing advertising revenue.

But ofcourse there is things we cant watch - not without military and/or intelligence equipment. Everyone operates on different bandwidths, frequencies and encryption.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I still love to watch TV. Mostly comedies, I love to laugh. But I also enjoy educational shows and channels. I love Kenny Powers, he alone will keep me glued to my TV as soon as he comes back.......

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I've never been a big tv addict (though I know people who are and it drives me bonkers!!!!), as when I was a child there were like maybe 5 or 6 channels, if you counted both UHF and VHF (anyone recall when tv's had two dials, one for VHF and one for UHF? You know, back in the days when if you had a remote control at all it was the size and weight of a brick and had three buttons - volume, power and channel up/down?).

When I moved out of my parents' house years ago I had a tv, with "expanded basic" satellite service. I watched maybe 2 hours a day, including news and a favorite show or two. I don't watch commercials, though I do listen to some of them while I have the news on when I'm fixing dinner. Even in the days before Tivos I would record a prime time show on my VCR (which I still do, can't afford a Tivo and the service charge) and then watch it later on that night.

I watch maybe 2-3 hours a day, but less than that total because zip thru the commercials and a given show may only be 45 mins long without them.

I prefer educational stuff over fiction, though I watch both. I like nature and science shows on Discovery, History, National Geo, Animal Planet and the Science Channel. Those, and the networks/news, would be the only channels I'd "need". On "regular" tv I watch Dr.Phil sometimes, occasionally the Doctors, Heroes and V. I generally am only interested in sci-fi on primetime tv. I am a fan of Lost but I had a VCR mishap and got way behind so I will be renting the DVDs when the last ones come out. I also like Primeval, which comes on the BBC America, but I've been renting them lately. If I'm really bored I might record a bad movie on the Sci-Fi channel, and I do like a few of the series they have, like Eureka.

I could live w/o a tv (meaning cable/satellite subscription) as long as I was able to rent DVDs of my favorite shows or at least watch them online.

Now my mom, otoh, is an addict. If her Tivo unit goes out she flies into a panic. If the satellite dish quits picking up the signal, she goes ballistic. Her old tv broke a few months ago and I swear you would have thought that the roof blew off the house. It was that kind of panic. If her tv goes out, for whatever reason, you might as well declare it a national emergency.

If my tv goes out, and there's a show on I want to tape, I'm like "Aw, ____", and then I resolve to get the problem corrected as soon as I am able and then plan on taping the show later or catching it online. But I don't fly into a tizzy.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I watch Glen Beck every night. I can't stand to mess an episode. I watch O'Reilly and Hannidy. Sundays, the Apprenticeship. Tues. Lost
Wednesday, Top Model, Thursday, Survivor and Vampire diaries.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by anominous

I thank you my friend for your input and honesty, that is why i started this thread, i wanted to see how many ATSr's actually watch t.v. so i thank you for your input..

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
One show I still find funny is the Office.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join