It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State reps want to fight violence with National Guard's help

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

You make valid points...I don't dispute them.

So I guess me saying corrupt politicians is not part of the problem is incorrect...because they are the ones that setup the city in this way.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Maybe if the police that we have here now weren't sleeping in their squads they'd be able to prevent more crimes.

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=7404044

What kind of police officer goes into a store and leaves their partner asleep in the car

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux
Gee, why not hire more police?

It's been tried. Bill Clinton ordered the hiring of 100,000 new police officers all across America back in the late 1990s, which was part and parcel of the Clinton crackdown on "urban violence" (aka gun violence). The mandate faltered, however, when certain states REFUSED to hire on new personnel for the purpose of gun confiscation... The state of Montana, notably, told the Federal government to shove it, because the citizens there were better armed than any police body you could assemble, and Montanans LIKE IT that way.

Thank God and the Constitution for States' Rights.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 4/26/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I've lived here all my life, so yeah I do know about Chicago. And there are many more poorer communities than what you think there are. That little fraction of "red" on the map does not show all of the "poor" communities here.

Yes it is set up to concentrate the poor in certain nieghborhoods. However there are also poor living in other neighborhoods, it's nowhere near what it was say 20 years ago. Many of these people choose to stay in the neighborhoods that they live in, despite the crime rates.

Yes the crime rates are higher in the poorer communities. And a lot of that has to do with the policing (or lack of) in those nieghborhoods.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Well Daley
was talking about this this morning and of course his theory is that we need even stricter gun laws to stop this violence
The only gun you can legally have here is a shotgun and these crimes sure aren't being commited with shotguns. Change the laws back to allow us to arm & defend ourselves and that will put a big dent in the problem.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It seems like Chicago is the prime nexus of corruption, statism and subterfuge (which combine to form fascism). Obama, Rahm, Blago, these guys, the Daley spawn. Something is rotten in the state of Illinois.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
When I watched the recently released video of the U.S. troops attacking a group of Iraqis including two reporters, I wondered if someday that could be their own citizens they would be attacking like that.

"Look at that group, they're armed!" "Yeah, I see 'em!" "You've got the ok. Light 'em up!"

News at 10: U.S. Armed forces gunned down a little league baseball team this afternoon mistaking them for armed gunmen.....

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
This is a very bad idea. The military is not trained to be a police force. I think we have seen this in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Id really like to see guardsmen processing / abiding by the rules of evidence, writing reports that include the elements of the crime then testifying in court to qualify their "training and experience" to make arrests.. lmao defense lawyers would reduce most of them to pablum.

Just about anyone can be a guardsmen, I dont know about chicago PD but it takes about 100 applicants for the LA sheriffs dept to hire 3 deputies.. for lots of good reasons too, not just anyone can be trained and entrusted to exercise police powers.

I have a better idea, lets deploy the guard to help clean up a bigger disaster & cesspool than chicago: washington DC... being mostly average citizens the guard would do a better job representing us than trying to enforce unfamiliar laws protecting us.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Remember this?

The Pentagon Wants Authority to Post Almost 400,000 Military Personnel in U.S.

And the article is by Matthew Rothschild...

The Pentagon has approached Congress to grant the Secretary of Defense the authority to post almost 400,000 military personnel throughout the United States in times of emergency or a major disaster.

This request has already occasioned a dispute with the nation’s governors. And it raises the prospect of U.S. military personnel patrolling the streets of the United States, in conflict with the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878.

And of course Obama created the Board of Governors, federalizing everything under the White House direct control...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
HA! Just let em try! Chicago is third world tough, way rougher than LA or NY. There are still places the police will never go. You guy's really wanna see the revolution? Let them bring some high school/ twenty something national guardsmen through the city, Chicagoan's will tear them a new one and send em crying home to mommy!
Seriously though, those lawmakers are retarded. If this happens, whats the point of living in America? Weiss is former FB1, clueless, and reviled by his own officers, but I must commend him for saying no to this idiocy. The murder rate goes way up on warm days, and while innocents do die, many just get whats coming to them. Chi is the gang capitol of the world, and the territory has been divided long ago. Every neighborhoods police have been bought out by the top drug lord of the area, only the small fries ever get arrested. Chicago's police, like it's politicians, are the most corrupt in the nation. The crazy thing about it, is the blue light cameras that are everywhere (Chicago is the 2nd most surveilled city in the world, after London) could actually be used by the military to quarantine areas, god knows they haven't been used to solve any crimes.

It's my hometown, I love it dearly, and theres no place with more omnipresent soul, but this is why I left. This is just how the city works, ask Daley, he likes it this way.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by siahchi]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
there is 4 threads on this subject, this thread was first so I am copying my reply from another one the threads to here.

I just received a phone call from an old roommate. Last year he moved out and went to Chicago. Prior to him leaving I warned him about staying away from Chicago and most major cities for that matter, and gave him my entire list for why I wouldn't move. So today he calls me up and his first words are," You know, I don't think there is anything worse than having to call you on the phone and tell you that you are right." He then begins to tell me about the National Guard may be deployed in Chicago.

I agree with other posters. I attribute this spike in crime due to the fact that your average law abiding citizen is not permitted to own firearms. The problem with gun laws are that the law abiding will follow the law. The criminals do not. They are breaking the law anyway, hence why they are "criminals", so why would they follow a gun law?

interesting to also note, the city of Chicago is filled with cameras everywhere. HERE is an AP article titled "Cameras make Chicago most closely watched city"

So with all these cameras available, how is it that you can not catch these criminals? In this case I should say "murders" since the OP's article is in reference to the number of homicides. Obviously these cameras are not doing anything to deter crime, gun laws are doing nothing to deter crime.

If you are one of those people who feel that the Federal Government is over stepping it authority, I urge you to get involved in Politics at the state level. Get involved in politics in your own communities. The fight starts with the States. They must stand up to the Federal Government. So get involved. Know who is running in your area, know what they stand for, look at their voting records, and please do everyone a favor and look at 3rd party candidates and stopped being duped into the 2 party ping pong system.

edited to fix AP link

[edit on 26-4-2010 by MrWendal]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Chicago is a city built on governmental corruption, going back to the 19th Century, but the best-remembered corruption came out of the early 20th Century, when organized crime was indistinguishable from city government. EVERYBODY was on the take, Crime WAS the government in Chicago.— Doc Velocity

Not was, IS on the take. And you better believe the poor areas are gonna get hit hardest. The yuppies want south shore sooo bad, they just can't fit any more cub fans in lakeview.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by siahchi]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
Well Daley
was talking about this this morning and of course his theory is that we need even stricter gun laws to stop this violence
The only gun you can legally have here is a shotgun and these crimes sure aren't being commited with shotguns. Change the laws back to allow us to arm & defend ourselves and that will put a big dent in the problem.

LOL

More BS they are trying to throw at the public to get guns banned. This is pathetic.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by siahchi

yeah, but I bet the gangs might take down the national gaurdsman. i bet they couldn't take down the real marines or army. Just bring in a few tanks to scare those cry babies wanna-be gangs.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join