It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did people in the bible live so long?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I'm with penginkun, though the theory Mr. Hovind speaks of is much, much more complicated then how he I've heard him explains it.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Very interesting theory here.
www.acacialand.com...

other interesting sites:
www.icr.org...
news.bbc.co.uk...
astrobiology.arc.nasa.gov...
science.nasa.gov...
www.papimi.gr...

The theory that all life forms live off the magnetic field is hard to pin point online, however there is enough evidence showing the benefits and side effects of negative vs. positive magnetic fields to know that it plays a major role in the development of life on & off earth.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthStrgnrThanFiction
Somewhere in Gensis God says that although man is flesh like he is (very interesting alone..that God also has some form of "flesh") he will not strive with him forever ..and cuts mans life to three score and ten. This was around the flood time period. Before God did this men supposedly lived for hundreds of years. So thats the biblical view. King James bible seems to have alot more of this than modern versions, especially the bit about man being flesh like God...image and likeness anybody? Either the KJV is a fake bible, or it is the real deal because every other bible either changes the translation or totally leaves out entire passages.

I read somewhere (not sure exactly, it was a few years ago) that when King James made his version of the bible, he was not a christian. If so, then what he chose to include would not nessaraly reflect what God wanted in the Bible, like he has been said to help guide the orignal writers

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I thought you were interested in differing theories about "how did man live so long according to the Bible. If you could regenerate your cell structure due to a better environment you might live longer that's what I'm getting at. It seems to add up to me.

FYI: By the way the KJV of the Bible was the 8th translation of the original Greek, Hebrew, & Latin text made into English.

ME

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It seems that Adam and Eve ate from the tree of life while in the Garden, after the fall they were cut off. Maybe the fruit of that tree was the key to longevity.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well, the days were a little shorter thousands of years ago. Or maybe they used a different calander to calculate age.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Great theories! Some I never thought of. I do agree that "time" may have been counted different back then. I don't think that it took God 7 "Days" as we know it (if you believe the story that is) but more like 7 "periods of time". A "day" could have been a way of saying an Era or any time span. But I don't agree that the days were actually shorter. The Earth is pretty constsant when it comes to that. But how do you explain generations. Noah's offspring and then their offspring...etc..... It's not as if Noah was a reference to a group of people, but a family line.

I also tend to agree with the theory that we had a long lost gene or a gene that was bread out of us or even got some sort of "Fountain of Youth" effect from whatever was eaten from the "Tree of Life" whatever that might have been.

the idea that the atmosphere was different and protected us better which in turn enhanced out longevity is interesting also. But wouldn't there be some sort of scientific evidence of this past atmosphere?

I don't actually believe the stories from the Bible as they are written. Few do, except the very devout. In fact I'm an Agnostic. But I do believe we can find clues to the truth from these fables and fokelore. They were once written on factual stories that lost alot thru translation, starting with the stories being passed down through storytelling or "word of mouth" then in writtings that were written and rewritten to "fit" the beliefs of the time.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I've been a Believer in the Bible for more than 20 years. I'm not one who grew up under the doctrines of man so I don't carry a badge of how important my views are compared to the next guy down the street. Truth be known I've had to leave churches due to my chasmatic beliefs. I'd much rather talk with people who believe that their is still communication with the next plane of existance than go to the local church to watch a talent show of who can quote 1000 verses or sing the best to express themselves, and go through the politics. I've had way to many prayers answered and blessings through the covenant I have with my creator to change. I've been to Jordan & Israel and have walked out most of the new testament.

I feel like everyone still thinks the world is still flat at times.

I must keep reminding myself that Satan is the god of this world until his lease is up. Adam lorded over this earth, but commited high treason by bowing down to Satan making Satan ruler for the time being. However God defeated Satan at his own game through Jesus blood. Now until the lease runs out we are still in this game. The only thing that keep us from destruction is the hand of God. His judgement will be easy by just removing His hand of mercy so Satan can finish killing, stealing, and destroying. It is what he does best? I've also heard there is a window of 7 years where Satan may use the third of the fall angels & the nephilm (demi-gods)the offspring of fall angels and human women. I also find it funny that their is no other anicent text that I'm aware of which deals with creation, time, blood covenants, giants, dragons, ufo's, nephilm, angels, elements, measurements,
bloodlines, dark arts, prophesy. ect....

This site thrives off this stuff. Maybe God is just like you.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The mantle that was spoke of earlier in the thread is similar to one of the theories. It was thought that a thin layer of solid hydrogen matal surrounded the earth. This thin layer of metal worked as a transister radio, which made radio waves from the north star "sing". Oxygen levels were triple current levels and atmospheric pressure was half of the current level. Experiments with these environmental conditions has caused snakes to lose thier venom and creatures to grow larger/live longer.

Second theory. Early man used a lunar calendar rather than a solar calendar. what is refered to as years may have been esentually a month.
356/28=~13 months in a year
900yrs/13mos =~69 years old

both seem at least reasonable. who knows?

i do not have any sources, this is just what i remember from the tv program

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Because God needed them to make more humans.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
As far as the Bible being fabel and folklore most of it (with the exception of most of Genisis) is repeatedly proven historically accurate.
More to come later.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zero_snaz
As far as the Bible being fabel and folklore most of it (with the exception of most of Genisis) is repeatedly proven historically accurate.
More to come later.

I agree, but as we know it, even in the oldest known writings, it was not "first hand". I'm sure the Vatican has some writtings that would change this, either for or against it as we know now. I would suggest the later or we would have seen them by now. Also, it was written very vague. It was a colloection of stories and it is up to us to try and understand them or decifer them. I believe they are "based" on some truth, but a distorted version none the less.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I hate to say that I lack the expertise or event he knowledge of sources to prove this point, but I'm hoping someone will come to my rescue with the facts before I have to scour the search engines for it.

In one of the age of the earth debates, the idea that the magnetic field is deteriorating was debunked. It fluctuates according to more recent theories. If this wasn't the case, the age of the Earth could not be very old at all, and its future not very long.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
i believe that it may be the will of jesus it also talks about good doing other things that would require enormus skill like making a blind person see agian also makeing all that food. But it might have also been the average life span seeing that the disease and other things might not have spread as fast as it does now because the lack of human like creatures.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
One view of the reason men live longer in ancient times it had to do with the way time was keep, the years were shorter and may people appeared longer living.

Another view has to do with diet ancient man was vegetarian, once men ate meat life expentacy got shorter.

Either way make more sence that bible myth and religious devil propaganda.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
If you could be a Jedi Knight or a Sith Knight what would be your choice the light or the dark side?

Is it getting dark suddenly???

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is just an idea, (might be a bad one, but it wouldn't be the first or last) but maybe since the dna was the first and new maybe it just degraded over time and life span was shortened.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
A seriously reply?

Read the Bible and you'll get the idea that there was a layer of water in the atmospehere. This layer protected the inhabitants from harmful radiation. After the flood, where the layer was no longer there, our days began to decrease, to the point where we would genenerally see 70 years, more years could be expected if we served God and kept His word.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Meat.

Well, actually the lack of meat in the diet. If you read Genesis you will find that the diet pre-deluvian was vegetarian...they did not eat animals. Animals were used in sacrifice, but not in the diet.

When Noah made his sacrifice to the Lord on dry ground after the flood God told him two things:

1. You can start eating meat now - but I'll make the animals scared of you to make sure it's hard to do.

2. You're capped at a 120 years because when everybody lived longer than that they just tended to get stupider.

Meat - it's what's for dinner tonight, but it apparently aint good for 120+.

[edit on 6-5-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I would say becuase of a lack of modern diseases, drugs, pollution. They probaly ate alot better than we do, not as many obese people. Life was simpler then so I would'nt be suprised at the lentghs they lived at.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join