Why did people in the bible live so long?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I agree with the whole vegetarian thing. Plants get their energy directly from the sun eating plants would make us next on the food chain and gaining much of the energy that plants retain.
Plants live a long time as well, and if mass was proportional to longetivity (kind of like how trees survive so long), then the mass we have could possibly allow such people to survive a long time.
Also, I have heard stories about Indians living for long periods of time, even today, but they usually do not interact so much with society to make an impact on the mainstream thought.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kata
This is just an idea, (might be a bad one, but it wouldn't be the first or last) but maybe since the dna was the first and new maybe it just degraded over time and life span was shortened.

Just as possible as are the other theories. Or maybe some of the DNA that we have that is now inactive or "Junk DNA" use to aid in longevity.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
A seriously reply?

Read the Bible and you'll get the idea that there was a layer of water in the atmospehere. This layer protected the inhabitants from harmful radiation. After the flood, where the layer was no longer there, our days began to decrease, to the point where we would genenerally see 70 years, more years could be expected if we served God and kept His word.

This is interesting, I think someone else stated something similar. Do you have any more info or a link, I would like to learn more about this part of the Bible. I am not aware of it.

Also, the theory Jedi had about no polution, deseases and the like is probible and quite possibly a factor.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
www.cheniere.org...

He talks about the Piere experiments and other research based off of that.
Electromagnetic resonance can be used to boost the immunological affects of cells and cure many diseases.
This may relate to the higher electromagnetic field in the past, which allowed the longetivity of cells that would have otherwise demised into natural death.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
www.cheniere.org...

He talks about the Piere experiments and other research based off of that.
Electromagnetic resonance can be used to boost the immunological affects of cells and cure many diseases.
This may relate to the higher electromagnetic field in the past, which allowed the longetivity of cells that would have otherwise demised into natural death.

I'll have to search for info on the Earth's past Electromagnetic Fields and how they have changed throughout Earth's history. Do you have a link pertaining to this?

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Look at the post by gildedhammer, he had a whole bunch of reliable links about the past fields and how evidence was trapped in rocks. Plus there might be a connection between Noah building an ark in 7 days and his life span...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
First, an absence of proof is not proof of absence. The Bible is an
anncent document, and in many ways one of the most accurate. This is not
ment to prove the religion, only the validity of the Bible as an irreplaceable
Historical document. Expecially since it is for a people whose land was constantly under occupation by an empire, and stuck in captivity of sorts.

TheEbla archivediscovered in Syria in the 1970s has confirmed the Biblical writings. The name "Canaan" was in use in Ebla, which was said by many to be a falacy in the bible.

Prior to 1993 the existence of King David or even of Israel as a nation
prior to Solomon lacked proof. At an ancient mound called Tel-Dan,
words carved into a chunk of basalt were translated as
"House of David" and "King of Israel".

At least 29 Kings from ten different nations are mentioned, and
are in the correct chronological order that they appear in the given
nations own history.

The Hittite Empire mentioned in the bible, was though to never existed.
The Hittite capital was discovered in 1906.

The city of Nazareth was thought to have not existed at the time of Jesus, until archaeology of the last few decades confirmed its existence.

In Genesis 37:28, Joseph, a son of Jacob, is sold by his brothers
into slavery for 20 silver shekels. That was the price of slaves in the
region during the 19th and 18th centuries B.C

Herod the Great was thought to be a falicy in the Bible, since Rome didn't
give provinces kings, untill a writting on a wall told of him, and the special
circumstances

The Dead Sea Scrolls, date from 200BC to 68AD. Comparison show very little differeance in modern copies. There has been very little human corruption in 2000 years.

Another more interesting fact, copies of the OT predate Jesus, have predictions that were fullfilled. Micah 5:2, Isaiah 53, Psalm 22, all have copies that are dated about 150BC, and Jesus' life is well documented by multiple sources besides the Bible.

Ezekial 26 talks about a city, Tyre being cast into the sea. It was destroyed
and layed on land for 200 years until Alexander the Great came along and
used the rubbel to build a bridge to an island, casting in all the rubble.

But This is starting to get into Biblical Prophacy, and away from Historical
Accuracy, So I will quit.

* This is of particular interest given the thread...on subject, ignoreing the flood part of this page, it mentions Sumerian Kings with long lifespans, a flood came, then there were shorter life spans. www.christiananswers.net... Can anyone expand on this, there being similarities with other area's having longer life spans?

www.christiananswers.net...
www.christiananswers.net...
www.uhcg.org...
www.drfalesbaa.com...

Religion aside, the bible is still a very important historical document that should be considered so. It's more then fables and folklore, I'm not asking anyone to accept it as 'the word of God', only as a historical text. The people mentioned were real, the places were real. Very few documents of the day use anything but a god as a means of explination. Every empire's history include religion, and atleast one god. Saying 'it's all fake' or 'some guy made it up' or anything of the sorts is just plain ignorance.

Sorry for wasting time ranting. All I ask is to atleast accept the bible (after Genisis) as a history of the Israelites, Israel, and sourounding area.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by zero_snaz]

[edit on 6-6-2004 by zero_snaz]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
1. Waters above the expanse removed.
2. Rainbow appears after the removal of the upper waters.
3. Fruits ferment. First record of accidental drunkedness.
4. Extreme cliamate differences from poles to equator (animals froze instantly after being drown in flood waters.)
5. Cleanlyness more of a problem after the flood because references are constantly made regarding the removal of the foreskin. -Bacteria and fungi kept under control within the environment in which a mist would come up from the ground. -For there was no rain in those days.
6. First instance of allowing to eat meat.
7. Oxygen levels reduced because continents and islands moved higher in altitude.(Oxygen more concentrated at lower elevations.)
8. Not enough gasous H2O2 to breath in to aid the immune system.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
pineappleupsidedown - 'Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and tewnty years."' (Genesis 6:3)

Another way to read that is that God gave the world another 120 years before his judgement was passed and the world cleansed. Seems to make more sense anyway since man's life span wasn't immediately limited to this number (it took some centuries), and since 120 doesn't quite agree with the majority of lifespans seen today.

ME - 'And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.' (Genesis 3:22)

Since humanity was forbiden to eat from the tree of life after their fall, any effects of longevity it had would have had to have been residual and passed through Adam and Eve. Which doesn't really fit the way man's life span remained more or less constant for about 1,500 years and suddenly began to decrese conveniently coinciding with the flood.

marg6043 - I know plenty vegeterians and a few vegans. No tremendous life expectancies here. Actually, if a vegan diet is not looked after properly, a deficit of certain nutrients can go as far as cause brain damage. Kind of the opposite effect huh?
(Of course pree flood vegetation could have been far more nutritions than what we have now.)

Kata - The gradual DNA degradation idea doesn't explain why life spans did not change for over a millennium and then suddenly fell. So I guess that's not it :-/

Jamuhn - Animals store energy in higher concentrations than do plants. On the down side animals can't obtain that energy directly from the sun.

Btw, the Bible nowhere states that Noah built the Ark in 7 days.

lostinspace - H202 is a bleaching agent. Highly oxidising, pretty nasty stuff as far as the body's structures are concerned... especially DNA.

GriBiT - Junk DNA is a myth that was widely accepted for a long time... I don't really know why, I guess when scientists don't know how something works they like to think it's because it has no function. So pride might be the reason. There has been much research in the last few years showing "junk" DNA is not junk at all. In the words of one scientist, Junk DNA is much like an operating system that runs everything. Makes sense, Coding DNA codes for protein... proteins are like the bricks (and mortar) of a house, but bricks aren't going to arrange themselves into a mansion are they?

To answer the question of where the Bible implies water above the atmosphere:

'And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water. So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning - the second day." (Genesis 1:6-8)

---

Ok, now that all this business is covered, let me mention a theory by some guy I have on video tapes stashed away somewhere. Forget the guys name but he has an institute/museum in USA somewhere so I'm sure he wouldn't be too hard to find.

The idea goes like this. The waters above the atmosphere were (as already mentioned by someone) compressed liquid hydrogen. I guess when Moses wrote Genesis, hydrogen was not a familiar substance which justifies it being reference as water (the word "hydrogen" means "water maker" anyway, so I guess even the modern word isn't that different.)

Highly compressed hydrogen posesses metalic properties, which fits with one of the Hebrew words used in Genesis 1 to desribe the sky in the same way as thin sheet metal is pounded onto wood (for example see the construction of the Ark of Covenant.)

The following text is also of interest: 'can you join him in spreading out the skies, hard as a mirror of cast bronze?' (Job 37:18) - Though this is more likely a poetic reference to great relentless heat, as it is used int Deuteronomy 28:23.

Anyway, this seethrough hydrogen would have the effect of pressing down on the atmospheric gasses hence increasing atmospheric pressure. According to this guy, the preeflood atmosphere had a pressure of 2 Atm. Which is also his reason why the dinosaurs died out after the flood, because they were so massive that it wouldn't have been possible for their lungs to supply enough oxygen to their bodies. Of course smaller dinosaurs died out too so I guess other environmental changes would have been the cause for their extinction. However the reference in Job 40 to a dinosaur like creature would indicate they did survived for a little while after the flood.

Apparently increased atmospheric pressure is great for organisms. An example was quoted of some deep see divers, diving in a submarine for many days at a time to perform scientific research. During such dives, the pressure inside the cabin is also often raised for technical reasons. During one such dive one of the divers cut his hand open rather nastilly, control was radioed and informed of the situation... however the diver decided that despite how seriou it looked, it didn't really hurt much so that they would continue their task (ascent takes in such dives can take a while). Interestingly enough the cut had almost completely healed only several days later.

Such examples are used to indicate we really were meant to operate under 2 atmospheres of pressure and not 1. Not only do wounds heal very well under such conditions, but the blood plasma is saturated with oxygen allowing one to run great distances non-stop (no build up of lactic acid due to ample supply of oxygen to muscles), and even the brain works better because of the better oxygen supply.

Now, the other benefit of the liquid hydrogen is what you're after here. His explanation for the longevity. Just like optical fibre or even several metres of ordinary water, the liquid hydrogen is meant to have blocked out UV and other highly energetic radiation coming from the sun. These rays create free radicals (highly energised molecules) both in the atmosphere, whence we breathe them in, and also in our very bodies when the UV rays hit our skin (melanin in the skin has the purpose of mopping up the free radicals). Free radicals have a highly destructive nature, and things get particularly nasty when it comes to DNA because they can introduce errors and mistakes into DNA. This is why too much UV can give you cancer... it degrades DNA in certain cells causing them to start multiplying uncotrollably.

So, no free radicals means there's nothing to screw around with our internals and we get to live a lot longer than we would otherwise. Hence the lifespans of 900 odd years before the flood. Apparently tomatoes grown under such conditions (double atmospheric pressure, sligh increase in CO2 levels, and elimination of all radiation and the free radicals created thence) have managed tremendous sizes and don't die after the usual 5 months they normally would die after in the open. Indeed, the tomatoe exposed to these conditions attained the size of a small tree!

Hence we also have an explanation as to why everything grew a lot bigger before the flood (the fossile record attests to this).

Other examples I can remember quoted to support this guys theory included archeological finds of iron implements containing Iron (I) Oxide, a compound that can not be created in our atmosphere, but can in his theoretical antediluvian atmosphere.

There is also meant to be a valley in the Andes somewhere which experiences total cloud coverage 100% of the time. The water vapour in the clouds also filters out some UV rays, and interestingly enough, the people that live in said valley can comfortably achieve life spans in excess of 150 years.

Anyway, what happened during the flood? The events were to proceede as follows.

First, let's set up the initial conditions. The earth had natural heating from well tuned radioactive rocks deep below the earth, which heated the waters that were found below the ground (this apparently also gave plants a comfortable environment due to warm water washing their roots). Presumably this would have been linked to the periodic mists which watered the earth.

As per the following: 'And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so.' (Genesis 1:9), before the flood there was only one continent (think Pangea).

So what happened next? The order of events stated in the Bible is used as a clue: 'on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.' (Genesis 7:11)

Now God reportedly upset the balance in this nuclear cetral heating we had below the ground. This caused great pressure to build up in the subterranean waters untill suddenly things burst. The pressure was immense, and its release spectacular. Jets of water (we're talking immense speeds here) burst kilometres into the sky. The earth's crust was shattered (whence we get todays tectonic plates), think egg in microwave here. These jest were powerful enough to puncture through the hydrogen canopy above causing them to begin to desintegrate, combine with oxygen to form water, and begin to fall to the ground as rain.

Now after the flood, there was still a layer of water mist left above the atmosphere which continued to provide protection from UV radiation, this desintegrated over time. Likewise the air pressure did not insantly half, but instead the gasses no longer bound by the hydrogen, began to drift into space until a new equilibrium was formed. And so we have an explanation as to why life span after the flood did not fall instantly, but instead suffered exponential decay over time.

That basically sums it all up. Hard to say how much of that is factual, but if nothing else, there are some interesting ideas in that theory, and it seems to cover not just individual aspects of what might have happened, but tries to address the overall picture (and does so with some success).

[edit on 6-6-2004 by hetman]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hetman
GriBiT - Junk DNA is a myth that was widely accepted for a long time... I don't really know why, I guess when scientists don't know how something works they like to think it's because it has no function. So pride might be the reason. There has been much research in the last few years showing "junk" DNA is not junk at all. In the words of one scientist, Junk DNA is much like an operating system that runs everything. Makes sense, Coding DNA codes for protein... proteins are like the bricks (and mortar) of a house, but bricks aren't going to arrange themselves into a mansion are they?

I think this subject is subjective with the scientific knowledge we have today. Possibly with the mapping of the human genome (SP) we will have more answers in the near future. Could it possibly be an organ that we no longer use (appendix) or don;t even have anymore?

I appreciate all the info on the atmosphere of the past. Very indepth. I am feeling this might be a real strong posability, or at least one of the factors (it may be a combination of the theories presented in this thread). It's interesting and makes total sense that a water/metal consentration in the atmosphere would definately sheild us from many of the harmful effects of a less robust "sheild" around the planet as we see today.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by GriBiT]

[edit on 6-6-2004 by GriBiT]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Sorry, I didn't mean to add my response as a quote. (See above reply) I hope this doesn't confuse anyone.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

So what happened next? The order of events stated in the Bible is used as a clue: 'on that day all the springs of the great deep burth forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.' (Genesis 7:11)

Now God reportedly upset the balance in this nuclear cetral heating we had below the ground. This caused great pressure to build up in the subterranean waters untill suddenly things burst. The pressure was immense, and its release spectacular. Jets of water (we're talking immense speeds here) burst kilometres into the sky. The earth's crust was shattered (whence we get todays tectonic plates), think egg in microwave here. These jest were powerful enough to puncture through the hydrogen canopy above causing them to begin to desintegrate, combine with oxygen to form water, and begin to fall to the ground as rain.

It is my oppinion that "the springs of the vast watery deep were broken open" stated by Noah, is his perception of the giant tsunamis coming from all directions surrounding the ark. This being perceived even before the great down pour of rains. At some point after the family was loaded onto the ark, a large asteroid broke through the atmosphere and smashed into the area of the Americas.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Have a look at this here:

www.abc.net.au...

It outlines some research done recently regarding 'junk' DNA.

As far as the appendix goes, it's not a useless organ, it is an important contributor in the develpment of the immune system in the first few years of life.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Actually, there's no evidence that anyone lived as long as they said they did in the Bible.

It seems to be a cultural thing to account for lost time. We have records of Sumerian kings where the king lists say that the kings lived a thousand or more years. We know this is false because of other things -- a king that lived that long would leave a lot of traces, spanning many phases of the civilization.

And so, to add credibility/prove they were descended from gods/match religious tradition/prove things were better in that distant time/account for gaps in their knowledge of who was king or prophet when, they said "oh... well.. we don't know of any kings between this one and that one and therefore this prophet/king/priest lived to be... 3,000 years old!

And they didn't count birthdays as we do. In those cultures, someone would be "born during the 3rd year of king soand-so's reign and died while king whassisface was ruling."

The oldest ruler we know of is Ramses of Egypt, who lived to the remarkable age of 90+. Compare the records of this long-lived man... monuments, recordings in other cultures of conquests and treaties, etc, etc.

The evidence we have from burials in Israel and other places indicates that people in the area were not particularly long-lived.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
people used to live much shorter lives than they do now
medicines and improved nuitrition mean we live much longer than even a few generations ago

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by hetman
Have a look at this here:

www.abc.net.au...

It outlines some research done recently regarding 'junk' DNA.

As far as the appendix goes, it's not a useless organ, it is an important contributor in the develpment of the immune system in the first few years of life.

So "Junk" DNA may be proven not to exist. I guess it was junk until they understood what it really was and how it contributed. Quote from link: "Ironically, what was damned as junk might turn out to be the secret of human complexity."

I also found it interesting how they described the process, compairing it to software and analog to digital. I guess when we made computers, we kind of modled them after ourselves!

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Actually, there's no evidence that anyone lived as long as they said they did in the Bible.

It seems to be a cultural thing to account for lost time. We have records of Sumerian kings where the king lists say that the kings lived a thousand or more years. We know this is false because of other things -- a king that lived that long would leave a lot of traces, spanning many phases of the civilization.

And so, to add credibility/prove they were descended from gods/match religious tradition/prove things were better in that distant time/account for gaps in their knowledge of who was king or prophet when, they said "oh... well.. we don't know of any kings between this one and that one and therefore this prophet/king/priest lived to be... 3,000 years old!

And they didn't count birthdays as we do. In those cultures, someone would be "born during the 3rd year of king soand-so's reign and died while king whassisface was ruling."

The oldest ruler we know of is Ramses of Egypt, who lived to the remarkable age of 90+. Compare the records of this long-lived man... monuments, recordings in other cultures of conquests and treaties, etc, etc.

The evidence we have from burials in Israel and other places indicates that people in the area were not particularly long-lived.

Do you have any links to show this? I would be interested in reading more.

Also, just because the common person wasn't long-lived, doesn't mean the kings or rulers weren't from a different birth line that did live really long lives.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Byrd - You're asking a lot for this evidence to survive a global catastrophe like the flood. If you accept the assumption that all things continue in the same way as they always did as truth, then your observations could be deemed accurate.

GriBiT - "I also found it interesting how they described the process, compairing it to software and analog to digital. I guess when we made computers, we kind of modled them after ourselves!" - No, only that that's the most familiar thing they can compare it too. Just like the particle-wave duality of light... light is really neither, but those concepts are familiar to us and so we use it to describe light as best we can.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I am not a scientist so my answers will be pretty simple. The world before the flood was very different than what we have now. The ring of water that was around the earth before the flood in Noah's time made for a different world. Also God himself shortened the length of mankind's physical life. You need to get and read books and videos by Kent Hovind. Remember we are created in God's image body, soul and spirit. While we physically die, our soul and spirit do not. And someday all 3 of these of everyone who has ever lived will be brought back together for an eternal everlasting life, either with God or without Him. It all depends on what you do with Jesus Christ. There is an awful lot of anger from some toward God on this site. You say God doesn't exist yet you are so angry at someone who doesn't exist, this should tell you something. I have lived without God and now I live with Him and the latter is certainly better. You certainly have the right to not believe in God. I didn't give you that right , He did. Just remember, "If you are living like there's no God, you better be right."

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Interesting... a little off topic here, but dlbrandt, you don't believe God intends to destroy sin one day?

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join