It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS redesign the Foe feature?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I was going to start a thread, but wasn't sure it was necessary. We get automated notifications about being foed but not friended. I'm sure what the purpose of the disparity is. I think should notify for both or for neither. Really, I'm no more concerned about being foed than friended and really, it's nice not to miss a new friend adding themselves to the list. Really thought, consistency is better. The notification implies I should somehow care more about being foed than friended.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Up until this week I've only had one person foe me. The one this week was a new user and I think he may have made a mistake. In my five years here, my only foe is Wolf of War. But then he foes everyone

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
One of my big problems with the foe feature is that, once you hit it, it doesn't ask "are you sure" or anything. It just adds the person to your foes list AND sends them a u2u informing them you added them to the list.

Once already, I accidentally bumped the foe button while going to star a post. It's not a problem to just remove remove them from my list but, the problem is, they get a u2u message instantly.

This means I have to send them a u2u apologising for accidentally putting them on my foe list. The one time this happened, the u2u system said it was backed up and that I would have to try again later.

Luckily, I was able to reach the guy later and explain what happened. Still, in the mean time, he may have been wondering what he did to tick me off.

The Foe feature definitely needs a confirmation before it goes into effect to avoid accidentally hurting people's feelings.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I regard the FOE feature as rather childish. If someone truly follows my posts to taunt me, I just ignore them for awhile, until they get the hint. I guess if the feature makes some people feel secure, then fine, but personally, I try to get to what is bothering someone, and if I can't, then I just give up. Name calling doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, don't change the system. I'm #3 right now in members foeing. I should be #1 by years end.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I dont see the point either, I have never used the foe feature and I dont use the "ignore" button on anyone either. I also dont check my profile to see who my friends or foes are.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I like the little red line above my foes, it tells me to keep my cool as the person who is posting, most likely, is going to be on the other side. I see that before I read the post and it is a good reminder to me to try and not get heated and say things that are uncool.

Well, that's the way I use it.

As for ignore, you can only ignore ten people. What's up with that? Just in the 9/11 forum I could find way more than ten that I don't ever want to hear from as they bring nothing to the table except insults. Anyone remember I'm A Pepper, perchance? Just like in real life there are many tools out there and I don't want to listen(read) to all of them.

EDIT: I also like the idea of a anti-star but that may be a bit over the top.

[edit on 7/16/2010 by TheLoony]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I don't use the foe feature. I pretty much ignore it. If I get a U2U announcing that someone has foed me, I just delete it. No wondering, worrying or having my feelings hurt. I don't know most of the people who have foed me, nor do I care why they did it.

So, I really don't care what happens to the foe feature. I think it's pretty useless.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Good post Dark Ghost!

I agree with you and won't use it.

It's hurtful and there is already enough hurt in the world.

Ususally it's done out of spite because someone disagrees very strongly with another.

People that come to ATS are the seekers of truth, they want to know what the sam hell is going on all over the planet.......somethings a miss, it's like a splinter that you can't get out.

We don't need foeing and flaming - the entire planet is mucked up enough from that brown stuff.

And they closed this thread and won't let you get anymore stars.

Well heres a bunch from me.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/665e343793b9.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 9-8-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Intrepid, you're post made me laugh!

Something tells me your a "the glass is half full" vs "the glass is half empty" kind of person

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Interesting feature this friend/foe option. I was just noticing it earlier. Reading the description it seems that foe is meant to be used for those whom one debates often, or would like to and friend is meant to be for those whom one agrees with quite often. However, reading the comments it seems that the foe option is being used to describe those whom one does not like? I guess juvenile in real life = juvenile in the on-line life. Lol.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Some people have added me as their "foes". I am sure they also reported me to a moderator, which I'd consider to be patronizing and trivial.

Just get rid of the Foe feature. I could care less if someone on here enjoys fighting with me. If they do, then perhaps they need a life outside of ATS.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I prefer to gather friends, but someone wise once said something about the merits of keeping one's foes/enemies close...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

hotbaked i miss your cute pretty face on your avatar but Jennie is good too!

You always have a bit of wisdom in each of your post.

And your friending a foe is what I also do for the same reason. If something you write ticks another off so bad they have to press that foe button, it must have really reached them on some level and that can be a seed.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think both the friend and foe feature should be completely removed from the site. It only applies to the social networking sensibilities, nothing more. We don't need to have friends or foes on the site, it makes a rift in people and ends up producing nothing more than another social e-incentive that shouldn't be required to produce quality posts, in fact it may even inhibit it.

People too busy worrying about making friends may not be as well to push the controversial topics. Adding a feature of reward and punishment just exacerbates that phenomenon.

Get rid of the entire system.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Everything is open to abuse and ATS doesn't care it seems or someone hasn't got the time to give it a thought.

I appreciate ATS and it's volunteers but all the member function are pompous and childish and can only be of any use to kleptomaniacs.

ATS disassociate themselves with the responsibility to reward credits to deserving members, the S+F system is nonsense really and the "Foe" function is just a bitching policy.

Why members are encouraged to divide and not unite is beyond me

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
FE FI FOE FUM

stick the button up your....

come on...does it really seriously matter if someone foe's you..
should i pack my bags and run away screaming...
Even if it is a worthy advarsary or someone hates me guts
it' doesn't make a difference.
will it cahnge my views...nope.
this is like the mamby pamby do gooders who think every child deserves a ribbon on sports day.
God life is full of positives and negatives get over it.
the thing is when someone does foe a hissy fit how well do you deal with it.
do you foe pies in their face.
people are wishy washy and always going to and foe.
foe one thing i like the button...it is cute and a nice rectangle shape to it.
though i have never used it.
foe ever i do have the ability to foe a fit.
and one day i just might foe around with it.
but it is my friend and foe, always there to be nurtured into life.
so if you want to foe things around, dont foe out the good with the bad.
be strong and stand on your foes.
but if you get dizzy dont start foeing up as that just makes a mess.
so foe now...cant we all just get along.

anyways...dont worry as we will always look foeward to the next reply.

edited some spelling and punctuation....

[edit on 063131p://f51Tuesday by plube]

[edit on 063131p://f54Tuesday by plube]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

Hehe, actually it was me that foed you darkelf and i am not that new as this is my third ATS incarnation.

I hope you don't take the foe feature too seriously as i don't, for me it's just a bit of fun, it's like an extra emoticon that says "oh yeah well up yours" lol.

If you like i will make you a friend or cancel the foe, u2u me.
I foed elevatedone the other week and he made me a friend so i had to reverse course and return the compliment.

As to the foe feature, i like it, it just adds to the ATS experience, i don't see it as something to get upset about, just like real life there is banter, disagreement and argument.

If there was a feature i would like to see removed it would be the ignore feature as i see that as kinda cowardly, i get really upset when my UN representative chooses to ignore a speaker and walks out, i think everybody has a valid opinion even if i don't like what they say.

So ATS get rid of the ignore feature.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

It's more to do with the fact that it is a negative aspect of this forum. The intended purpose of the feature has not been adopted by the majority who use it. It has become a tool to say "I don't like this person or their views and don't agree with their mindset". The fact that people you have never responded to or communicated with can add you as a foe is silly. The fact that you get an automated message in seconds when you are "foed" but don't get notified when you are "friended" is also silly.

BTW, thanks to everyone for the replies - I thought this thread was dead when it went into hiatus. I appreciate the replies but I doubt things will change. I don't think enough ATS Staff feel this is a worthy element of ATS in need of change and therefore we probably won't see it redesigned.

[edit on 10/8/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I wouldn't take it seriously. Since there's no quantitative measurement other than 'friend' or 'foe', why not consider it a loose interpretation of values instead of something that needs to be removed? I'd prefer a 10 point foe evaluator. The best would be to simply keep paper notes in a coded form that feds wouldn't recognize. Sure, it would require time to search through notes, but your records wouldn't be public as they are at ats.

Someone asked me why they'd been foe'd. Since I never look at my ats, except by accident, I explained that maybe they used the expression 'global warming' as in man made global warming, or perhaps said 'tinfoil hat' when responding to someone with em weapon concerns. Maybe they called hemp an illegal evil thing that should be eradicated...there could be any number of reasons. Also-lots of 'foes' say things I could not agree with more. Perhaps an icon could be attached to the foe category. A little 7 bladed leaf for those who eviscerate those who understand the benefits of the 7 bladed leaf...or an al gore mask for those who worship his religion?

A bono mask, or maybe Christ on a crutch, for those who believe in more than 3 nwo plans at any given time, as being beneficial for society.

At times I am tempted to toss my list because the range is simply too wide and vague. But some of the names belong there, and I don't want to lose the info. 911 comes to mind because the believers in OS are directly responsible for the patriot act.

The best thing would be that the info is private, and gradated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join