It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS redesign the Foe feature?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I know there are a lot of members that do not agree with the "Foe" feature on this forum - I am one of them. One of the main criticisms comes down to the fact that it is misused by most people. Do members really add others to their Foe list because they consider them to be "Worthy Adversaries", or is it because they are making a statement they do not like the person and their views?

I'm sure the feature has been useful for a very small minority, but on the whole it seems like an unnecessary negative feature. It is also a silly waste of the ATS bandwidth because even banned members' lists get maintained. I feel this Foe feature should be abolished in its current form. If ATS staff are keen on keeping this feature, perhaps they could redesign it.

For example, rename the list to "Quality Opposition" and make safeguards such as:
- you must register X number of posts before this feature is active
- you must have used the quote system correctly at least X number of times
- you cannot add somebody already on your Friends, or vice versa

I am sure other members can think of better ideas, but I am interested to know if other members share my views on this issue.

[edit on 19/4/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Yes I agree.

I would like to put a few people that I regularly debate with and oppose, on to that list, but I wont as the current system is abused and is not seen by the members in the same light that the owners intended it to be seen/used.

I think quality opposition or great opponent or anything else would be great.

I haven't foe'd anyone yet and wont because it's used mostly by people when they lose an argument or get angry and put you on ignore and so on, Instead of being an indication of those that you enjoy debating and battling with on the threads.

I most definitely needs an overhaul and this has been suggested several times, I hope this time something is done.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I wish there was a "worthy adversary" button and a "complete idiot" button. There is a major difference between the two.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Well, I like that little, red bar across my "foes" name.
It reminds me to think twice before reading their posts.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I agree.

In the past week alone two users have added me as a foe, who I've never spoken to and I don't recall ever speaking to in a thread.

I've sent a U2U to one of them asking why they added me as a foe, but haven't got a reply so far.

It's the same with the friend feature. I get random users who I don't even recognise adding me. I'd at least like some explanation as to what made them add me as a friend.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Too bad Curious Skeptic has been banned. I would love to hear his comments on the subject. He had the biggest Foe list I have ever seen.

Personally, I think people may misunderstand the foe option and I too have been "foed" by people I have never had exchanges with. So, they apparently foe just based on comments alone.

Oh well... I usually find it amusing especially when I notice that I am in good company on these misguided foe lists.

I prefer the ignore button

[edit on 19-4-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I got an automated message just recently saying someone added me as a foe. It was someone I could not recall ever having come across before.

Nevertheless there was nothing on their profile page or on mine to confirm that I was their foe. I sent a U2U to the person and got no response so far. I think the system might be broken.

About Friend/vs/Foe. I have 1 person both as a Friend and a Foe. I look on it as a love/hate kind of thing
and so have left both active.

I agree tho that the term should be changed to valued adversary or something more constructive than foe which definitely has no good connotations.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Yes, that's exactly what happened to me.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

In the past week alone two users have added me as a foe, who I've never spoken to and I don't recall ever speaking to in a thread.

That has happened to me too.

I always ask them why, and only one explained, I never use it because I think it is cruel and negative,

I was foed yesterday as a matter of fact and I have no idea why.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I have never used the foe system. Just because I may disagree with someone, doesn't mean they are my enemy or anything.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I don't have any foes but I foe'd somebody 13 times in a row the other day, just so they would get the 13 auto U2Us, they really pissed me off.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
One thing about the foe list I would love to add, is that I inadvertently put people on the list all the time just by scrolling down the page.

Honestly, I have to check under my profile a couple of times I am on here to make sure I haven't added somebody in error.

How about a U2U to a person adding a member to their list confirming the action before a U2U is sent to the victim?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I dont use the foe button.

In fact if anyone makes me a foe I friend them.

If I get under your skin enough to foe me, I consider it a point well made and a successful debate.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
chill out man, its only a word..

the foe thing doesnt mean anything, and even then, its "respected foes", so that would imply that anyone who adds you as a foe , would also have a certain degree of respect towards you!

at the end of the day, its only a message board, on a forum, and the foe thing does absolutely nothing but add your name to a list on that persons page!

it means nothing! worry about something worth worrying, dont channel energy into worrying about what anyone thinks of you! ESSPECIALY ON AN INTERNET FORUM!

edit - btw, theirs a few people (one ive spoke to) who are trying to add as much people as they can to their foe lists ... again THIS MEANS NOTHING! ... its just people messing about, and if someone adding you to a list you wont even see upsets you, then internet forums are THE WRONG place for you to hang out!

[edit on 19-4-2010 by boaby_phet]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I was surprised to get my first U2U saying I had been added as a foe. Checking out the foe's posts, I found the thread we'd both commented on, but failed to see any interactions between us. I figured declaring a FOE was much like asking for a debating partner - a kind of permanent "we agree to disagree" but want to air our differences for all to see. So yes, it is confusing why someone would declare a FOE without any direct communications.

As far as the ignore button goes, I can't say I'd ever use it as I'm perfectly capable of selecting content and even the most reactive user sometimes posts a comment worthy of a good laugh!

Stormdancer777 - I'll bet it was the same user & thread!
Signals - remind me never to piss you off, buddy!

gj

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

These members probably read something you wrote,
didn't like it and foed you.I have done that before,that
is why I added an explanation to my profile.
Another thing,just because I foe someone doesn't mean
I won't give them flags and stars.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Its almost 24 hrs now since I received the automated message that I had been foed, but still there is nothing on either the other person's profile or mine that shows I have been foed by him/her.

Either the person changed their mind and quickly removed the "foe" status or the system is broke/corrupted/hacked.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
Either the person changed their mind and quickly removed the "foe" status or the system is broke/corrupted/hacked.

It's also possible that the person clicked the foe button by mistake, then realized the mess up and unfoed you. I once foed someone by mistake, I sent my "accicental foe" a U2U to explain what happened.

The only times I use the foe button on purpose is when I want to tease my friends a bit.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Too bad Curious Skeptic has been banned. I would love to hear his comments on the subject. He had the biggest Foe list I have ever seen.
[edit on 19-4-2010 by jibeho]

I, as well as a handful of others added to his foe list asked in his profile comments section, his explanation was(to paraphrase from what I remember) so he could skip past (or at least remain on guard of) his foes posts and primarily read those on his friends list.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
nvm
off topic

[edit on 19-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join