It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS redesign the Foe feature?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Never 'foed' anyone, or even been tempted to, in the approaching 3 years I have been here.

I've had 5 people 'foe' me but I don't know the reasons why.

Is it because I have 'crossed swords' with them in the past and they respect my opinions etc but are generally opposed to my beliefs or that they truly dislike me.

I don't think the function is understood and used as intended.

Could or should it be redesigned?

Yes, probably, if it is going to be used by the membership as it is intended but where is it on the priority list of 'thing's to do' for The 3 Amigo's et al?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

As a woman,I have changed my mind several times.I have
had others on my foe list and later took their names off.
I had even gotten attached to a member of the bovine species.
I had him on my foe,ignore and now my friend list.I really do miss
his posts, he is gone now...sigh!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by wayno

As a woman,I have changed my mind several times.

as a man, I felt it was my duty to quote this for posterity.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'd personally like to see the foe feature be disabled. For the same reasoning we don't allow negative starring/flagging- it's too often used for abusive purposes.

It would be nice to see more of an emphasis on the friends feature and getting a u2u alert when someone adds you as a friend (vs. being notified via u2u someone has foed you).

My vote would be to kill the foe feature and add u2u noticed someone has befriended you. Keep it positive just like the flag/star system.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I have to agree with the OP. Too many times I've had people foe me seemingly at random. This last time I tracked it down (I think) to me pointing out a flaw in someones theory about some ancient jars.

Is it petty to foe someone because they showed an error in your logic?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

This is where the confusion lies.

Is the function to be used because I dislike someone or because even though I disagree with a lot of an individuals opinions I value and respect their opinions, debating ability and reasoning?

Surely the latter can be construed in a positive light?

And to be honest, to completely ignore the negative aspects of a site like this is simply burying one's head in the sand.
Not everyone does agree with each other and not everyone likes each other.
That is life.
And even though this is a site that attracts people with 'alternative' viewpoints etc that will never change.
And there is nothing wrong with that as long people remain respectful when and wherever possible.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Yes, that is the way it is supposed to be used. It's supposed to say, "We don't agree but you sure can 'bring it' and I respect you for that." Unfortunately, it's all too often used to say 'You suck,' in my experience. That's why I personally don't foe members. I would mean it to mean the former but too many take it to mean the latter so I avoid it do avoid misunderstanding.

Along the lines if we added a negative flag feature. It SHOULD be used to say 'I don't believe this is a quality thread' but you know it would be used to say 'You suck.'

Just the way I see it.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I've only gotten a few foes and a few nasty U2Us...then I usually never see them posting much afterwards.

I've got to say the image that is evoked for me is that of some of the teenage boys and girls I've known whose parents don't know they are getting stoned but whose parent's friends see their stoned behavior on local message boards. It's funny, usually.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I have never used the "foe" feature and I probably never will. While there are those that seem to find some measure of bliss in having it, I do not think that is has a place in ATS. While at some point in the historical past it may have been a "cool" feature, but by today's standards, it is a waste of time to keep up with someone who ticks you off in such a manner that you would consider them an adversary or nemesis.

Anyone who really really ticks me off, I make a note of the person in a notebook I keep. I also record those that have been honest with their remarks to my postings, helpful in finding something I was looking for, and for those that I have to use some adjective to describe what I think of them.

The idiots, morons, bigots and those that are incapable of comprehension or grasping the essence of a complicated matter that requires one to actually think, is what really irritates me. If you cant connect the dots when they are staring at you, then you just might be "too" dense to uncover some conspiracy let alone discuss it.

All this foe and friend listing is not why I come to ATS, but I guess for the young at heart, it is something to have and to use to keep yourself occupied with useless crap. It may even be a social thing, but I come here for the many conspiratorial subject matters and not to socialize for the sake of socialization. As such, I could care less about a foe or adversary. I only care about the many ATS postings that keep me busy reading into the dark of night.

I spend hours reading the many postings and as such, those that stand out with good postings make my day while those that tick me off with their ignorant remarks get relegated to the ignore category. Knowing who to ignore is just as important as who to bookmark so as to continue reading their great postings and their fresh remarks and thoughts.

With all this being stated, I don't think the "foe" feature has a future. It hasn't so far and I doubt I will find a need for it anytime in the near future. That's my two cents on the subject.

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

To be fair, I have to disagree with you AshleyD. Keeping things only positive is not a very realistic way of representing things. While it may be "nicer", I personally view it as a promotion of Ignorance along the same lines as political correctness.

Personally, I would love to see an anti-star/flag system. I'm so, so, so sick of see the absolute worst dreck on this site end up on the front page with hundreds of stars and flags while truly thought-provoking topics lie starving on page 3 of the boards.

The solution is looking at the problem and determining a solution. Perhaps people should have to provide a short explanation as to why they are foe-ing you, so you don't just get a simple "You've been foe'd by so and so!" message anymore.

The solution is never a removal of choice, however. The foe feature allows for a certain ability to blow off steam at someone. If you took it away I would guarantee a spike in spiteful bite-backs between members. Not having a Foe button won't suddenly make everyone act like sunshine and roses around here

[edit on 19-4-2010 by D.E.M.]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I have foed people for cussing,disrupting threads,out of anger...
Only a few do I have any respect for.I will try and think more before
hitting the foe button next time!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I've been added as a foe by 4 people this week, whome I've never replied to or had replied to.

I dont' think people understand what the FOE feature is for and to tell you the truth it's kind of obsolete.

I would like to see it removed in favor of a better friends list and a 'Worthy Adversary" instead of Foe.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I was inspired to delete several names off of my foe
list.As a woman,I just might change my mind and add
them back!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
Anyone who really really ticks me off, I make a note of the person in a notebook I keep.

Holy Cow that's creepy.

Pics or there is no notebook

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I treasure the list of people that have foed me. I must be doing something right to elicit that type of emotional response.

I have been tempted to foe people with Godlike Wisdom as a political statement.

Max, I'd consider it an honor if you would include me in your book.

edit....

I was just having to much fun with that "foed" word; enough to get me banned if I took it any farther.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by whaaa]

[edit on 19-4-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
I'd personally like to see the foe feature be disabled. For the same reasoning we don't allow negative starring/flagging- it's too often used for abusive purposes.

I get little red negative flags all the time. Usually accompanied by a point deduction. I don't see it as abusive though. If you are going to dish it out, occasionally you are going to have to take it.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I do like the thumbs up...thumbs down feature on the tube

as I do not want to add a complete idiot to the "worthy adversary" category...I also don't want to ignore people who have adverse views on certain subjects, but whose point/counterpoint do add to discussions on other subjects.

of course we could have someone add a "punch in the face" button...like a flag, you can only hit it once per user per thread...

maybe show a gif of someone getting doe popped

[edit on 20-4-2010 by daddymax]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I only foe people that I suspect work as shills.

Secondly, what's so bad about marking someone as a foe? If you didn't know it, would it have bothered you so much? I like it as a reminder that the person who is posting may not have good intentions. Isn't that a great way to remember who is who on here?

Maybe the moderators could just not tell you that someone foed you, and also keep your foe list private. I could settle for that. Besides, no matter what they change, I have found that most of the shills are big names around here, so they are now easy for me to remember.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I wouldn't say that I disagree with the button of the 'Foe,' however I would prefer to have differences with those whom one respects with and those who has already been said "complete idiots."

The 'foe' system appears to be abused slightly, and maybe, some users add 'foes' due to disagreeing with views, rather than having a heated interaction between both due to those views.

Did I make sense?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I agree OP!

Why can't we be friends? I for one don't consider any of you ATS'ers my foes

P & L

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join