It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasonry FAQ

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by March of the Fire Ants
reply to post by KIZZZY

Thanks for that. To be honest, I'm familiar with most of the info there but it's good to re-cap!
Actually, Kizzzy's post has nothing to do with Freemasonry at all...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

1 - Is there any truth to these conspiracy theories?

Not to my Knowledge or from my experience.

2 - Is the distinction between Scottish Rite and others important in this regard?

No. The first three Degrees are the important ones.

3 - Is there in fact a conspiracy against freemasons?

I think there very may well be. We are a very large Fraternity by and large made up of intelligent free-thinking individuals. If there is a vast conspiracy against Mankind; it would be prudent to discredit any organization made up of free-thinkers. Hence the banning of Masonry in countries ruled by Monarchs and Tyrants, and the banning of Masonry by Hitler and other similiar characters.

4 - What are the main differences between Freemasonry and the New Age movement? (I mean from a philosophical/spiritual POV, not just 'freemasons aren't hippies'
)

I'm not sure I understand the question.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

1 - Is there any truth to these conspiracy theories?

No.

2 - Is the distinction between Scottish Rite and others important in this regard?
No.

3 - Is there in fact a conspiracy against freemasons?
Perhaps.

4 - What are the main differences between Freemasonry and the New Age movement? (I mean from a philosophical/spiritual POV, not just 'freemasons aren't hippies'
)
Good question, but a difficult one to answer. Our books tend to end up on the same shelves as UFOs and candle witches in most main-stream bookstores. We go out of our way to keep telling people we're not a religion, but that said, there's certainly a spiritual component. Probably equal parts self-help, philosophy and non-specific religion.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadioKnecht
I guess my question would be, can catholics be masons?

How about the other way around? Can masons be catholics?
The catholic church has issued a handful of edicts that say that any of their members who become Masons should be excommunicated.

On the other hand, Masons don't judge a man based on his religion and welcome catholic members with open arms.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Oh but you are so wrong. lol Anni yodaht mah zeh!

More info:

Baal, Ashtoreth and Molech
Solomon raised a temple to the above gods.

Another popular goddess worshiped in the days of the Bible was Ashtaroth, a deity associated with sexuality and fertility, and by some peoples war You will find Her fertility symbol in the Israeli Supreme Court.

Moloch was the calf-headed idol that Aaron made while Moses was on Mount Sinai receiving the Ten Commandments. To his ever-lasting shame Solomon built a temple to Moloch in the Valley of Gehenna. Ritual child-sacrice and cannibalism was performed there accompanied by wild drumming to drown out their screams. There was ritual male prostitution with the euncuh priests (disguised as women) and flagellations and necrophilia.

The Prophet Amos tells us that there was a star symbol associated with Moloch. The Star of Moloch is also known as the Seal of Solomon The Seal of Solomon is a six-pointed star with six small triangles surrounding a six-sided hexagon. We know it today as the Star of David. It is on Rogue Israel's flag. Now the Star of David in itself is not evil. It has been hijacked by the religion of Moloch (the War and prosperity god).

www.robertroberg.com...

yada yada yada....

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Of course I am not getting into the geometry .........too much work.

There is only one. No other!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robert Reynolds
1. Have you read the book 'Proofs of a conspiracy against all the religions and governments of Europe carried on in the secret meetings of Freemasons, Illuminati and reading societies'? If so what did you think of it?
I own a copy, but haven't read it in 20 years, and that was long before I became a Mason. I'd have to re-read it to give it new context, to be honest. That's John Robison, right?

2. I've read on masonic websites, that they used to worship the spirit Jahbulon. Is this ever mentioned nowadays?
Can you point me to an actual Masonic website that claims such? I'm guessing you read it on an anti-Masonic website. They'll make up anything to make us look bad...

3. Could you describe the initiation ceremony? It's always sounded like witchcraft to me.
The ritual itself is one of those things that we're supposed to keep secret. That said, it's freely available online or in most bookstores.

Having practiced witchcraft, and being a Master Mason, I don't see much similarity, myself. Was there a specific element that you had a question about?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It is all cult dealing with the Kabbalah et al!

Israel's founders and its establishment created a nation based on a form of Freemasonry called Sabbatainism. The first cities they founded were not given Jewish names but Masonic ones:

Tel Aviv - The first Jewish city was named for a Babylonian internment camp for Jewish slaves. It was from Tel Abib that Ezekiel was lifted by a peculiar biblical-age UFO to watch a city being constructed. And it was from Babylon that the Jews changed their months and learned a skill that God hated, astrology.
Petach Tikve - Meaning Gate Of Hope, the Sabbatain phrase for female genitilia.
Rosh Pina - Situated precisely on the 33rd latitude, this town means keystone, for it was intended to be the keystone to illumination. What is not understood is that the last three steps in the Masonic rites, parallel ancient Israel's latitudes, from the 30th to 33rd. The British called Rosh Pina's airport, the 33rd runway.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

In relation to 'Jahbulon' - the first place I ever heard the name was in 'From Hell' by Alan Moore (c 1998). In that book he claimed that it was a big revelation, but that he trusted his source. Within the last two months I've come across this name on a website that - at least professed - to represent the Freemasons. On that website, it was said that the last time Jahbulon was used in a ceremony, was in 1989. I kind of got the impression this source was trying to dismiss it as some sort of 'silly old tradition' that some of the boys used to partake in.

I may well be wrong on this, but isn't there some sort of ceremony (maybe initiation) that involves the memeber/initiate being blindfolded, holding a knife, with a noose around their neck and being asked to recite something like 'If I am to repeat anything that is said within this lodge, may I be cut by this blade and hung by this rope' and then they are tapped on the head by something and lowered into a coffin (or the outline of a coffin).

As for the book, yeah it is John Robison and I've got it but haven't read it yet.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
thats supposed to be the initiation of the 1rd rank,when you join.
i actualy want to hear about that ritual if its for the public to hear. or atleast to know the stuff an outsider can know about

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I may well be wrong on this, but isn't there some sort of ceremony (maybe initiation) that involves the memeber/initiate being blindfolded, holding a knife, with a noose around their neck and being asked to recite something like 'If I am to repeat anything that is said within this lodge, may I be cut by this blade and hung by this rope' and then they are tapped on the head by something and lowered into a coffin (or the outline of a coffin).
Something like that, yes. That particular description seems like a mishmash of 3 different degrees, actually, but those elements, or some similar to them, are part of the ritual.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Robert Reynolds

Sounds sort of like the Entered Apprentice degree, but only loosely.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
thats supposed to be the initiation of the 1rd rank,when you join.
i actualy want to hear about that ritual if its for the public to hear. or atleast to know the stuff an outsider can know about
If you say you want to join, why would you want to ruin the experience by having all the surprises spoiled for you?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
What's the idea behind these rituals then? What do you guys think of them?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
let us look first at the ritual similarities between contemporary Wicca and Freemasonry:

A) Both are built on a foundational system of three degrees; with a few forms of Wicca offering some higher degrees after the third degree has been achieved.

B) Both are secret societies; in that both membership rolls are secret, and secrets are kept from the general populace (to a greater or lesser degree) by both religions. Both generally meet in secret, except for rare open and public events.

C) Both have highly ceremonial initiations to pass from one degree to another, including sworn oaths.

D) Both have ceremonial purgings and purifications of their ritual space before commencing any ritual work.

E) The precise similarities between the two groups are: Both groups…

1. Cause candidates to strip off all secular clothing

2. Cause the candidate to be divested of all metal

3. Hoodwink (blindfold) the candidate and ceremonially tie ropes around him—though the form of the tying varies.

4. Cause the candidate to stand in the Northeast corner of the "temple"4 in the first degree

5. Challenge the candidate by piercing their naked chest with a sharp instrument (Witches use a sword, Masons, the point of a compass)

6. Challenge the candidate with secret passwords

7. Lead the candidate blindfolded in a circumambulation (walking around) of the temple.

8. Require the candidate to swear solemn oaths of secrecy before being given custody of the secrets of the group.

Interestingly enough, the oaths of a Witch are much milder and less gruesome than the oaths of a Freemason. Here is the text of a first grade oath from the Witchcraft Book of Shadows (ritual work-book):

I, [NAME], in the presence of the Mighty Ones, do of my own free will and accord, most solemnly swear that I will ever keep the secrets of the Arte [Magical Arts—author] and never reveal the secrets of the Arte, except it be to a proper person, properly prepared and within a magic circle such as I am now in.

All this I swear, by all my hopes of a future life, mindful that my measure has been taken; and may my weapons turn against me, if I should break this, my solemn oath.5

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

What's the idea behind these rituals then? What do you guys think of them?
You could read them online if you just wanted to know the words, but actually going through the experience is what makes them memorable.

I think the main point is that I could tell you every "secret" of Masonry, and you'd say, "so what?". But to really "get" them, you have to want to learn them. The quest for knowledge has to start with you. A gift received doesn't have the same value as a reward earned through hard work.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
"Freemasonry is kabbalism in another garb."

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
oh BTW guys....I think the "Magic Circle" gives it away eh?

come on rabbit....we're late!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by colloredbrothers
1) Is Freemasonry present through out the world or is it just confined to America?

Freemasonry is virtually all over the world, with some countries outlawing it.

2) Is Freemasonry a religion?

No. It doesn't promise salvation nor does it meet any of the main requirements to be considered a religion. Its religious in nature, meaning that to be a member you must be a man of a Faith.

3) How old is Freemasonry?

The first Grand Lodge was founded in 1717, but you will find documents that go back to the 9th century and lore even speaks of it back in Biblical times. Some of our history has been lost with the lapse of time.

4) If there was one truth that freemasonry holds what truth would it be?

I'm not sure how to answer this, I would need some clarification on what you are looking for.

5) Does being a freemason give you any advantage in this world?

It has benefits, but one shouldn't use them to get a leg up in the world.

6) a- Can anyone become a freemason or is it something you need to be born in?

b- If anyone can become a freemason how does one go about doing it?

Anyone can become a Freemason, it just takes someone asking a Freemason about it and putting interest in it.

7) What books could you propose me to read if I wanted to know more about freemasonry?

Born in Blood is a favorite of mine. Another series is done by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas.

8) How do I obtain the vast and dark knowledge freemasonry holds if such a thing even exists?

I wouldn't call it dark knowledge, but there are research bodies in the various bodies, and most Grand Jurisdictions have a collection of books that people can read.

Originally posted by LordBucket
1) Why join?

If freemasonry is merely the do-good social club that freemasons usually claim it to be, what reason is there to join freemasonry as oposed to rotary, kiwanis, the boy scouts, the peace corps, or any other of dozens of do-good social clubs?

As I have been in the Boy Scouts and Kiwanis (those other organizations are good ones), I would say Freemasonry provides a closer nit group of Brotherhood with a rich history surrounding by esoteric works. To each his own, is what I say.

Originally posted by LordBucket
2) Generally speaking, how does the organization of freemasonry deal with the motivations of new recruits?

Given the reputation that freemasonry has, even if it is just a do-good social club...it seems very likely to me that it would attract large numbers of people who believe that it's more than that. Especially since you're not supposed to advertise. Only people who come of their own are admitted. So, again, since presumably a lot of people who would "come of their own" to freemasonry are motivated by desires for power, being one of the "in" crowd, taking over the world, etc. how does your organization deal with that?

Well, generally speaking we have a coach/sponsor for the new candidate that helps them through their ascension to the Master Mason degree. There are indeed some people that get up in the degrees and realize its not what they thought it was and they demit. Freemasonry is very Democratic in nature and really no one person has all the power, nor could they ever. If someone of this ambition would join they would be let down.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

I'm a Master Mason as well as a Sir Knight in the Knights Templar. The Knights Templar (or Order of the Temple) is a Order conferred on someone who joins the York Rite.

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Does FM enjoy tax exempt status? If not, how are the property taxes on lodges satisfied, by member dues? If so, how can that be if it is not considered a religion?

The organization itself I believe is tax exempt, but the Lodge buildings do pay property taxes and most buildings have a Board of Directors that manage the property and charge the bodies that use the building a monthly rent.

Do the 'oaths' required to become a member conflict with other legal / moral obligations? (i.e. Are your forced to withhold information about membership and thus be forced to withhold truth to loved ones or fulfill a military order or divulge information while under oath in a court of law.)

No, our obligations pertain only to Freemasonry and every member knows this. Everyone that knows me knows I'm a Freemason.

What actions would constitute a member to be banned, admonished or membership terminated? (Or to a lesser degree reprimanded but allowed to remain a member.)

A most grievous act would earn someone expulsion. Misappropriation of funds, breaking of oaths, divulging secrets, and non payment of dues.

Still waiting on reply to the 'worship' question in prior post.

reply to post by kinda kurious

The only religious event that happens in the Lodge is that we have a opening and closing prayer. Also, to head this question off for future, the term Worshipful when talking about the Master of the Lodge is to mean respectful, not someone we worship. In fact, in England Magistrates and Judges were often referred to as Worshipful.

reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I am not sure, but I do notice a good whiskey drink always is delightful after Lodge.

reply to post by KIZZZY

Magic circle? Please step away from the caterpillars hooka.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by KSigMason]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join