It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 60
<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

It's obviously increasing. The plume is getting closer and closer to the top of the image. Is the wind sending the plume directly at Europe/

Too much big news. Volcanoes, oil spills and econmic turmoil. Some experts warned us the another shoe would drop. I don't like the man-made problems, they depress me. But the volcano is magnificent so I'll focus on that.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
wow that thing is really pumping again
. I am glad I decided to stay in the uk this year.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Sorry man, i forgot. I'm just an old man

And here the official report from 7 may:

Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull - Status Report: 16:00 GMT, 07 May 2010
Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland

Compiled by: Sigurlaug Hjaltadóttir, Rikke Pedersen, Björn Oddsson, Ólafur Freyr Gíslason, Guðrún Larsen, Benedikt G. Ófeigsson, Matthew J. Roberts, Bergthóra S. Thorbjarnardóttir.

Based on:
IMO seismic monitoring; IES-IMO GPS monitoring; IMO hydrological data; IMO weather radar measurements, MERIS satellite image; reports from sent through the IMO web site, information from commercial flights.

Eruption plume:
Height (a.s.l.): 7 km according to IMO weather radar measurements at 1155h. Commercial flight heading towards Keflavík at 15:18h: 20,000- 25,000ft (7-7.6 km).
Heading: Southeast
Colour: Colour: Dark at the bottom, otherwise light gray.
Tephra fallout: Considerable in Vík ashfall began at 21h last night; ashfall reaches to ~55-60 km from eruption site, midway through Mýrdalssandur.
Lightning: No detections today over the eruption site.
Noises: No reports

Meltwater:
During the last 24 hours there have been no flash floods from Gígjökull measured at Markarfljótsbrú. Electrical conductivity has been decreasing and daily fluctuations in discharge and water temperature have been observed. The electrical conductivity in Jökulsá á Sólheimasandi which has been traced to ash contamination from the glacier is still quite high. An increase in discharge has been observed in rivers in the area around Mýrdals- and Eyjafjallajökull due to higher ambient temperature.

Conditions at eruption site:
The ash plume is lower now than yesterday. The wind affects the plume and ashfall is less. The cinder cone continues to build up around the eruption vent in the ice cauldron. The lava flow to the north has been stagnant past two days.

Seismic tremor:
Tremor levels are low, comparable to yesterday and the period on 14 - 17 April.

Earthquakes:
Earthquakes are still being recorded at 5-13 km depth, but fewer than yesterday.

GPS deformation:
Measurements from around Eyjafjallajökull indicate no major net discplaceaments, suggesting a stabilization of the surface deformation since yesterday.

Other remarks:
Grainsize analysis of samples taken of ash that fell on May 3rd at 64 km distance from the eruption site shows that about 5 % of the ash is smaller than 10 micron (aerosols). This is a considerable decrease of fine particles compared to ash from April 15th (25% aerosols) sampled at a similar distance. The grain size analysis was carried out by Nýsköpunarmiðstöð Íslands.

Overall assessment:
Explosive activity seems to have decreased since yesterday. The ash plume does not rise as high into the air and is lighter in colour. Steam rises from the lava tongue under Gígjökull which is a sign that ice is melting in the tunnel, but to a much lesser degree than when the lava flow was at its peak. There are no signs that the eruption is ending.

www2.norvol.hi.is...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Try this cam out pretty good when visibility is low its got a thermal camera so you can see the heat hope this helps.

LINK eldgos.mila.is...
Did not see this cam in this thread although i have not read every page.

THANKYOU

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Some spanisch airports in the west closing saterday. I just read it on a dutch site. Airports that closing are: La Coruña, Vigo ,Santiago de Compostela. This for the ashcloud that come's.

www.nu.nl...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by ni91ck]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
view before dark from

www.mulakot.net...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4c1e3319ea0.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Goodmorning to all of you out there, again a beautifull day to watch volcano's. Seems a little bit cloudy today. I hope we see a nice show today!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Visibility looks pretty decent at the moment:

I'm liking the temp. cam too.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
good morning too venlo.. from frysland...:-)
yes nice day to volcano watch...

eldgos.mila.is...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Now it`s even more clear.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/32e96f312748.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

I hope it stays this clear today.. I have nothing else to do, and I'm feeling a little under the weather.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Update on activityEruption in Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland
Assessment - 07 May 2010 19:30

Explosive activity seems to have decreased since yesterday. The ash plume does not rise as high into the air and is lighter in colour.

brunnur.vedur.is...

en.vedur.is...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Update from John Seach:

Saturday 8th May 2010
Eyjafjallajokull volcano, Iceland
Intensified eruptions occurred at Eyjafjallajokull volcano, Iceland on 6th May 2010. Ash emissions reached a height of 30,000 ft, and caused cancellation of flights in Scotland. Melt water discharge has decreased from Gígjökull glacier in the west. New melt water discharge is flowing towards the east, which indicates a change in direction of lava flows. This could crate more hazardous floods. Explosions are increasing at the summit, and a cinder cone is forming in the crater. Tremor is similar to that seen in the phase of the eruption from 14-17 April 2010. On 6th May, there were 10 earthquakes detected under the volcano. Most earthquakes are located beneath or south of the summit crater.
More on Eyjafjallajokull volcano...
Volcanoes of Iceland...

www.volcanolive.com...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Does anyone know the meaning of the different coloured lines shown on the ash maps ?

Ash Map

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
good morning too venlo.. from frysland...:-)
yes nice day to volcano watch...

eldgos.mila.is...

En een goedemorgen uit Vlaardingen

Goodmorning from Vlaardingen Holland.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

My guess is thickness.. the inner blue is thicker than the outer levels.

I dunno. I would like to know too.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

I thing your right, ash concentration in the air, green being where the ash is and red maybe a warning where it could go or be but this is my gues

[edit on 8-5-2010 by godddd]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

It's seems thats a warning to for a no flyzone.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Birds are going absolutely mental on Katla cam

www.ruv.is...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Zeropoint

have you got a direct link?

top topics

<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join