It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 63
<< 60  61  62    64  65  66 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Same here Moorf.

I don't remember having seen those vents on Hvol when it was steaming hard and high a couple of days ago. Weird.
May be it was too cloudy to see them on that cam.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Goodmorning to you all. On the Poro Flir cam you see lava flowing down on the north site.
And here a update 9 may from a official report:

Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull - Status Report: 12:00 GMT, 09 May 2010
Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland

Compiled by: Sigurlaug Hjaltadóttir, Björn Oddsson, Sigrún Hreinsdóttir.

Based on: IMO seismic monitoring; IES-IMO GPS monitoring; IMO hydrological data; IMO weather radar measurements, MODIS and NOAA satellite images.

Eruption plume:
Height (a.s.l.): 4-5 km/14-17,000 ft but sometimes shoots up to 6 km /20.000 ft.
Heading: Southeast. But low level winds are easterly.
Colour: Grey/light gray.
Tephra fallout: Farther west now, ashfall started at Þorvaldseyri (south of eruption) around 08:00h, has also been reported at Skógar this morning (7-8 km east of Þorvaldseyri). The ash is black.
Lightning: No detections today over the eruption site.
Noises: Reports from Vestmannaeyjar-islands (35-40 km southwest of erutpion), Vatnsdalur (190 -200 km to the north), and Borgarfjörður (~150 km to the northwest.)

Meltwater: Daily fluctuations in discharge and temparature. No flash floods have been detected.
Conditions at eruption site: There was no flight today, but observations from web cameras show similar activity to yesterday.

Seismic tremor: Has been similar for the past 3 days, and similar amplitude on all frequency bands.

Earthquakes: Seven earthquakes of magnitude 1.5-2 have been located for the last 24hrs.

GPS deformation: Horizontal displacement towards the center of Eyjafjallajökull volcano and subsidence.

Overall assessment: Compared to last seven days, the output from the volcano has been slowly decreasing but the activity has been pulsating and further changes in overall activity can be expected. Presently there are no indications that the eruption is about to end.

www2.norvol.hi.is...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Definately looks new, one reason why is that it was also visible on the other cam, take a look:

also the melt water // ice beneath the volcano (which is clearly visible on the closeup voda cam) is increasing, perhaps there is a small pool of magma half way up the mountain that is causing the steam?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

I'm convinced it's not new vent - it's the glacier steam vent only now, due to weather (wind direction and clarity), it's viewable from Hvolsvelli cam

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

You're saying theirs still glacier remnants up there? Wouldn't the whole mountain be too warm for ice?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaCommando5

The glacier is very much still there. It continues to be melted by slow, viscous lava flows, as evidenced by the steam plumes, and the meltwater is carving tunnels through the surface to expel water. How much of the glacier has been destroyed under the surface we can't tell. If the lava flow continues its journey down the glacier we'll see more subsidence and meltwater and the continuing death of the glacier.. but it's far from done yet

If you check out this particular cam you can see the glacier and the damage being done to it. www.vodafone.is... See bottom close up view to see the tunnel and arch through which the meltwater is flowing (at seam of the two images).

Looking at another cam link you will find a thermal image cam which will let you see how far down the lava has reached: eldgos.mila.is...

In the right light you can see the beautiful glacial blue colouring of the ice.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I do think you're right here but I'm confused as to why we haven't seen it before, the pyroclastic flow here is not something new, I'm pretty sure its been following that path for some time.

Also interesting how the glacier melts higher up, flows down the mountain and then appears to re-freeze at the bottom, anyone know the temperature there?

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Temperature Drop]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
en.vedur.is...=table

50 NEW earthquakes at eyja and around eyja, #, check the earthquake map, that's mental!!!!!!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Zeropoint

wow!!!

This normal? i wouldnt have thought so?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Look at how many earthquakes just occured at Eyja and near katla

For the below poster, Katla is the large white glacier/mountain directly to the right of eyja, the one titled Myrajafjokull or whatever.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Getting ready for another big outburst, do you think? It would seem to point to something happening. Where on the map is the other volcano (katla?) in relation to Eyjafjallajokull?

Excellent find Mr Z. Kudos.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Wow, thats insane!

Looks like one has hit close to Katla also, looking forward to checking out the cams later when I finally get out of work.

I'm still wondering what that steam is, its been going now for around 12 hours, I'd say its a new vent - especially looking at the tremor map, thats pretty crazy.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I was doing research last night and 8 years before the 1918 eruption of katla and eyja, there were two 7.1 - 7.5 earthquakes, we didnt have anymore until 2000 when we had two 7+ earthquakes, but I read on USGS that we are majorly overdue for a large earthquake in the region, im thinking the energy stored is 8 +, it should be soon to be honest but you can't predict these thing's, but with activity like we've just seen, the kinetic energy stored in and around Katla, the immovable object, is immense and i think we can expect it to erupt in the not so distant future.

EDIT: Also, another earthquake added to earthquake map, to the bottom left side of Eyja, only small but you know, they add up these swarms

EDIT: I would also like to ask a question to anybody that might have any idea, but with such a swift swarm which personally after watching this for weeks, have never seen so many appear in an hour, could these be pre-cursors? A foreshock?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

it really seems like katla is due.

could be tomorrow, could be today. who knows exactly when.

point is, it's just building up pressure until it does blow.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Truly spectacular today. Wow wow is all I can say, that swarm mentioned is very out of the ordinary from what I can remember. Plume looks darker and higher as well than before.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
How cool does that plume look today, at the top it has clouds forming around it like some sort of flan sitting on the top lol

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Dave157

I'm not saying it will happen today, but on the Katla cam this weekend, I noticed that the ground appeared to have sunken in a circular pattern just over the small ridge. Yesterday, the lighting was great so it could have just highlighted the area, but my husband also said that it looked different Can anyone else verify this?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The number of quakes must surely be an indication of immense pressure build up as we've seen little effect of them quakes "above ground" or in the plume / makeup of the plume itself.

At the time of writing there have been 56..
with most centered under Eyja / the eruption zone but with three straying out towards the Katla area.

All very intriguing and speculation is rife.... it's gotta be either a new routing of magma (perhaps a new route found under the volcano) or building up to a new eruption level?

Man, why does this happen when I have to get some kip?!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

lol if its any consolation I feel your pain being at work and unable to view the cams.

Interesting about Katla deformation?? I'll check that out too later

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
reply to post by Dave157

I'm not saying it will happen today, but on the Katla cam this weekend, I noticed that the ground appeared to have sunken in a circular pattern just over the small ridge. Yesterday, the lighting was great so it could have just highlighted the area, but my husband also said that it looked different Can anyone else verify this?

Any chance you could give us a screen shot with the area high-lighted. It's not a cam I stare at much so can't really know what area to look for... thanks.

top topics

<< 60  61  62    64  65  66 >>

join