It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 62
<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I can only get the Hvol cam from that source.. I was enjoying the temp. cam. Meh, happy Mother's day to all the mothers.

Edit to ADD:

Enjoy this great video from my favorite band:

Youtube

[edit on 8-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by broahes
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I can only get the Hvol cam from that source.. I was enjoying the temp. cam. Meh, happy Mother's day to all the mothers.

Just been out celebrating with my Mum
her first living here in NZ with us
I'm a tad dejected because my dogs didn't get me a card
(child-free here
)

Was interested in a question someone asked a few posts back as to why we watch. I'd love to know why you all watch - whatever you watch - be it quakes or volcanoes or storms.

For me it's all three! For me it's the waiting, the watching it "as it happens" and the attempts to educate myself through observation and asking others who know far more than me. It's like an addiction, gets my heart racing and just fills me with awe at the power of mother nature.

I don't "watch" storms online, although I do follow a guy called Reed Timmer from time to time. However, if there's one locally I will chase it either from armchair or car

So, there you go - My name is MoorfNZ and I'm a Watchaholic...

... why do you watch?

EDIT: Love Tool
here's a fav tune and vid of mine ... enjoy... www.tagtele.com...

[edit on 9-5-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Interesting question.

I've only been watching more over the past 6 months to a year (EQs and Volcanoes) mainly due to a change in jobs recently. I will add that I have always been interested in the weather (storms mainly) I guess because of where I live. We don't have earthquakes or any volcanoes here (Southeastern Georgia) but we live on a river that has flooded in the past, and have had some smaller tornadoes too. We also tend to catch some decent storms during hurricane season too (rain and some wind).

I work with the Department of Natural Resources and currently work nights on park watch of Bullard Creek Wildlife Management area on the Altamaha River. I love the outdoors and nature at its fullest.

I guess that, and finding ATS and being introduced through the Fragile Earth threads led me here to find you all on Quake Watch.

Peace.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I've been monitoring quakes ever since I discovered the USGS site over 10 years ago. I have been in a few 6+ mag quakes, so yes, it is very exciting.

I have always loved watching storms too, went through the Saint Helens erruptions and several severe floods. I have a huge appreciation for the power of nature too, and I suppose that is why I am so fascinated by it.

I see the opportunity to view this massive erruption near real-time as a lifetime opportunity. I am seriously considering going back to school this fall and pursuing a geology degree.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Finally getting some cams to work... it looks like the steam vent above the mouth has a significantly larger void in it that previous days and a wider "grin". Intrigued also as to the make-up of that "screen" that appears to hold back the flow.. is there a rock formation there or is it just an ice wall?

EDIT: Just answered my own question with this image from Eruptions Blog..

scienceblogs.com...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I think we could see another outlet/vent forming. It's also around the area of the initial water outflow so could be a collapse in the water tunnel? We'll see...

EDIT - after staring at the area on Voda, I am sure it is beginning to steam from the area highlighted... in last half hour or so.... very faint and erratic - would feel happier if someone else might have seen it though.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1a4c8c5a6dcb.jpg[/atsimg]

There also appears to be increasing meltwater coming from the snow-white area to the far left of the above image, cascading downwards, you can see the waterfall change shape as flow goes up and down

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Ash plume in view on the Voda cams.

Not as big as the other day but still large,.... a couple of quakes in last hour or so under Eyja - small and shallow.

... and another quake under Eyja makes 3...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Continuing Disruptions to UK Air-Travel over Scotland today, aswell as a handful of Atlantic and European flights also being affected.

Looking at the V.A.A map however, depending on Air Samples and Ash Consistencies later on today, it may deem warrantable for a larger swathe of Europe to start closing Air-Traffic again, as a Low begins circulating the Ash back into Continental Europe from the North Portugal Coast.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
ahh they gave us the flir camera back at poro cam....hmmm seens to be cooled down a bit... ore is it the differance with the outside temp????

[edit on 9-5-2010 by ressiv]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
On the Hvolsvelli cam there appears to be another vent opening up on the north side of the mountain, as well as tghe new vent on the south side already mentioned.

There are also lots and lots of people appearing on the poro cam. Somebody must be running tour buses up there or something.

edit to correct ... actually looking again I think I have my orientation wrong and its the same new vent from a different angle

[edit on 9-5-2010 by bigyin]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I enjoy having that flir camera for another way to see it, but I wish there was a little more explanation of the settings its at and the temps.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I've been watching this thread since the beginning ... and the cameras ... never had anything constructive to add before but just checked the cameras before getting ready to turn my computer off ... and we have fire ... or lava ... or something ... amazing !!!

Woody

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

I agree, looks amazing - even better once it gets dark!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Boom!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I can't believe that there were still people up there watching it when it is spitting like that ... they must be mad !

Woody

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
lol yeah! he was doing a good job of standing right infront of the camera aswell, suprised he didnt turn around holding a sign displaying "hello mum", I mean talk about stupid places to stand!

The volcano is really putting on a great show now! awesome!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Great show right now on the Poro cam..

I wonder if today is the day the lava makes some headway further down the glacier. There does appear to be a hot-spot further down the current path of the lava... and midway down you can see the actual lava glowing

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Moor, check this view:

eldgos.mila.is...

Do you see a vent to the far left??? or is it cloud? looks like a vent // steam to me!

Has that been there before? if it has I have not noticed it....

Edit: 2nd edit, lava hitting ice // snow???

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Temperature Drop]

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Temperature Drop]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Temperature Drop

B is steam, that vent your seeing. It COULD be a vent, but FLIR shows lava flow towards. Likely the lava is cutting through the melt water and glacier remnants...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
@ Foxe / Temperature Drop: Hmm, I have to say I hadn't noticed the glacier's steam plume on the Hvolsvelli cam before - my immediate thought was that it is a new vent.

However, when you look at the positioning of the cams it "could" be the glacier vent - I'm just amazed I hadn't seen it on the Hvollsvelli cam before.

Here are the cam positions from which you can see that a steam plume on the Poro cam could account for the steam plume position on the Hvols cam.... ja.is...=456517&y=349336&z=4&services=18,16

<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join