It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 59
<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Iceland's volcano produces 1,000-mile-wide ash cloud off west coast of Ireland, forcing Irish airports to shut down Friday - AP

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
the thermal cam is hypnotizing

here we have visitors

notice they take all the color white/yellow from the rest of the scene

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e0cf00af91c1.jpg[/atsimg]

this is right after they left

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9fc57a5f41c1.jpg[/atsimg]

I am intrigued with this thermal cam

glacier is very dark blue, coldest

river bottom is warm/hot

lava is hot

that mountain is hot and hot up really near the top in places

sorry if I am not making sense.

haha too many distractions right now.

eldgos.mila.is...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
For those that are interested there's a new show on discovery channel on at 9:00 eastern, The Volcano that stopped the world is the title

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
There is said that there's a new eruption. I truly do not hope this is true.. For both the inhabitants of Iceland and the rest of Europe..

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
That's a nice plume.
Have a look at

eldgos.mila.is...

Plume is above the clouds in the middle of the screen.

Holy crap, not only high but large too.
If this is going to be pushed S-E airports are going to be closed again in Europe.

Nid

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Nidwin]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

Check it out on the Voda cam, Nidwin - it's huge!

And while I was checking plume - big orange explosion on top of glacier and one further down

[edit on 7-5-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
reply to post by Nidwin

Check it out on the Voda cam, Nidwin - it's huge!

And while I was checking plume - big orange explosion on top of glacier and one further down

[edit on 7-5-2010 by MoorfNZ]

I REALLY need to add these cams to my favorites..lol.. Can you please link that cam moor?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec401e399b93.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ffaf1f16158e.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 7-5-2010 by berkeleygal]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Good morning to you all. It's a beautifull to watch volcano's, again!

Here is the official report from yesterday 6 may.

Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull - Status Report: 18:00 GMT, 06 May 2010
Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland

Compiled by: Sigurlaug Hjaltadóttir, Björn Oddsson, Egill Axelsson, Matthew J. Roberts, Sigrún Hreinsdóttir, Halldór Björnsson, Bergþóra S. Þorbjarnardóttir.

Based on:
IMO seismic monitoring; IES-IMO GPS monitoring; IMO hydrological data; IMO weather radar measurements, MODIS satellite image; reports from sent through the IMO web site, information from the Icelandic Coast Guard flight yesterday.

Eruption plume:
Height (a.s.l.): The ash plume observed from commercial pilots between 0530h and 0800h: 30,000 ft/9km. ICG helicopter flight between 13h and 14h: sometimes under 20,000 ft (where there is a cloud bank) and oscillates up into the cloud bank (over 9 km). The height of the plume varies from 4-6 km according to the weather radar. Icelandair Cargo flight at
18:00 climbing towards east from Keflavík estimates height at 21- 22,000ft.
Heading: East-south-east over land, then to the south (assessed from AVHRR figure from NOAA at 0435h and 1154h).
Colour: A police officer from Hvolsvöllur, stationed at Rauðafell, observed the ash plume to be dark-gray. Observation from ICG: dark.
Tephra fallout: Considerable ashfall at Þykkvabæjarklaustur in Álftaver (at a distance of 65-70 km), (everything has turned black). It has not been established whether the ash cloud south of Eyjafjallajökull is ashfall or ash that has already fallen and is being blown from the ground. Ashfall seems to start midway through Mýrdalssandur.
Lightning: No detections today over the eruption site.
Noises: No noise can be heard at Hvolsvöllur. No noise was heard at Seljavellir at noon. Noise heard at Heggstaðanes (200 to the north).

Meltwater:
Discharge from Gígjökull decreases further and meltwater seems to be running from the eastern side of the glacier. This is different from tuesdays meltwater were water was running from the west side. Lava flow might be changing the direction of meltwater flow. Such changes should be taken seriously with regard to possible outbursts due to accumulation of meltwater. Discharge at the old Markarfljóts bridge is decreasing. It has now been verified that increase in electrical conducitvity in Jökulsá á Sólheimasandi was caused by volcanic ash penetrating the glacier and the meltwater. This rules out the possibility of sulphur rich gas from magma entering the meltwater.

Conditions at eruption site:
The lava stream down Gígjökull has been stationary for the
last two days. Explosive activity has increased and the cinder cone
continues to build up in the northern most ice cauldron.

Seismic tremor:
Tremor levels continued to decrease yesterday and this morning. They are now similar to what they were in the first phase of the eruption, 14 to 17 April.

Earthquakes:
Earthquake activity is still being recorded. At least 10 earthquakes have been located since midnight. Most of the earthquakes are sourced beneath or south of the top crater in the eruptive conduit that has formed since 3 May. Most of the earthquakes are less than magnitude 2, the biggest M2.2. Three events have been recorded beneath the southeastern ice cap, depth uncertain.

GPS deformation:
Measurements from around Eyjafjallajökull show continued horizontal displacement. South of the eruption, stations THEY and SVBH have begun to drift southward, whereas FIM2, located east of the eruption, shows northward motion. No further northward motion has been observed at STE2, located to the north. Today's displacement pattern suggests deformation beneath the southeastern part of Eyjafjallajökull.

Other remarks:
Between 14 April and 5 May no signals (exept diurnal and long-period earth tides) are seen at strain-station Stórólfshvoll, ~35 km WNW of the eruption.

Overall assessment:
Explosive activity has increased and effusive part has decreased for the last two days. This results in a higher eruption column with increased tephra fallout. There are no signs that the eruption is about to end.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Thanks Nick.

Check the Hvol can if you can now. Impressive but be fast as it won't last long. So cloudy

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
You now have me addicted to checking/watching the cams!

There is an extra 'hot spot' on the thermal cam..

[edit on 7/5/2010 by MissMegs]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MissMegs

you mean that cross??? thats an seeker...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

It's a what? a seeker? Could you please explain, I don't know what that is.
Thanks!!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
an cross seeker to point the camera

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Duh, thanks. I thought it might have meant something else.
Also, thanks to all of you out there that are helping us keep tabs on this thing. I have learned so much. Keep up the great work.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

And your source is?

Links please. (Sorry but people need links to go back to the original
)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
an cross seeker to point the camera

it is a seeker but it points at the hottest point of the image. Saw it jumping around from cloud to hotspot a couple of hours ago.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hvolsvelli is impressing..

eldgos.mila.is...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
Hvolsvelli is impressing..

eldgos.mila.is...

Holy mother of gawd .....

My holiday is booked to fly on Thursday.

Not looking good

top topics

<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join