It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Tripping Cop Tasers Person For Getting Their License Out Too Slowly

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Just my opinion...but you know why most officers next to MAJOR highways use the taser quicker then other places right?????

Take a moment and ask yourself...is getting into a physical confrontation wise next to a 3 lane highway were the speed limit is 65mph and 4000lbs cars and 50,000lbs semi's are going by? You see where that is going to end bad for one or both involved.

I agree he went for the taser to soon and the man was more verbally confrontational then physical, but just so you all know the thought of being pushed into those lanes of traffic or rolling with these guy into those lanes of traffic WILL make you react differently...just wanted you guys to be aware of my experiance in the matter.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

One could argue the tasers use was as much for the drivers protection as for the officer.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Professional law enforcement personnel are supposed to be able to handle these situations so if you cant handle a simple traffic stop without tazing people you aren't very good at your job. And as a taxpayer i don't want to pay for all the lawsuits that are going to be filed against you that the "people" lose because you are out of control. People like this make law enforcement harder for the good cops.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
Take a moment and ask yourself...is getting into a physical confrontation wise next to a 3 lane highway were the speed limit is 65mph and 4000lbs cars and 50,000lbs semi's are going by? You see where that is going to end bad for one or both involved.

That's ridiculous, they were on the side lane
Neither of them were in danger

Only someone without a driver's license would be scared in that situation.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin

One could argue the tasers use was as much for the drivers protection as for the officer.

That's a cop out

That's like saying aren't you happy you have Stalin instead of Hilter?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin

C'mon, there ain't no spin for this one. Buddy decided before he pulled the guy over that he was going to taze the guy(?). His escalation was quite obvious.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

WHAT...obviously you have no idea what I said because your response makes ZERO sense. Re-read my post!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Watch the first 10 seconds of video again and see how close a car zooms by. If a scuffle moved them more than 5 feet, or if a driver erred and swerved a few feet (easy to do at 65 mph +) the cop and the driver would be dead.

For those who say that police are trained to take control of an individual without a taser; have you ever tried? I'm a fairly big boy, and am very strong (I know I know, it's the internet so I also have a Ferrari) but back when I was doing loss prevention I learned fast that even a little guy can give a buff guy like me a run for his money when trying to cuff them. I sincerely hope none of you ever get tased, it is an absolutely horrific feeling, but I also would rather go through it again before getting hit by a car at highway speeds.

I liked the cop out pun.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Raustin]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

WHAT...obviously you have no idea what I said because your response makes ZERO sense. Re-read my post!

Not really, I honestly saw a zero threat situation
The cop gave him less than a second to take his papers out

And for the apologists, explain why the cop told the driver to come out and then FLIPPED OUT and said "Get back in the Car"

Explain that please
Explain!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Hopefully the next time this cops name is mentioned in the news its in the form of an obituary for a cop killed in the line of duty.

Dickweeds like this loser give police in general a bad name, and he sure as hell shouldnt be given the power to ruin peoples lives simply because he is having a bad day, or his blood sugar was low, or whatever other excuse this moron could come up with.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

And for the apologists, explain why the cop told the driver to come out and then FLIPPED OUT and said "Get back in the Car"

Explain that please
Explain!!!!!!!!!!!!

He said get to the back of the vehicle. Put your hands on the vehicle, get to the back of the vehicle.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

I understand you guys deal with dangerous situations. What you said about cars hitting what they are looking at I believe to be spot on.

What he did is wrong being admittedly agitated, lost his cool and that is the line you guys can not cross. You are not Gods, you are men doing a Job that requires people with character and I would hope that you would rethink in a situation of the same circumstance. You can still be cautious and courteous as human beings. He could of handled that totally differently. There are no close calls. You either go if its your turn or you don't if it's not your turn. Mortals die, it's just how it is, so there is no reason to act like that. Be careful yes, be an erection...no.

I just timed it. From the time he walked up to the car, till he opened the door of the car was 26 seconds. From that time till the tazering was 15 seconds. This happened in less then a minute, granted that is a long time under stress, but....no not the way to handle it....Blackwater is calling.

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is getting good.
Now...where's that popcorn munching emoticon...

Ah, there we go.

Okay, so...I'm not a cop, but I've trained with many many cops and most of them will be among the first to say that they feel that they need better training.
I've known people sitting on the ASLET board that pushed for better training and critical thinking/response classes only to be turned down do to costs.
Well, I'm sure that lawsuits cost a hell of a lot more than shelling out extra to have better prepared cops on the street.
I don't know...I'm just rambling, so I'll shut up, sit back, eat goji berries and watch the drama unfold.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I really don't expect to read much objectivity from the badge kissers on this board. The cops safety..blah blah blah...

I really have to wonder, how things would be viewed if during an average day, once a cop became aggressive one of the masses were to pull out a taser and let at him. Sure, the citizen would be charged with assault with a weapon, even attempted murder.

The cops need to start being held accountable for their actions. They are in the service of he public, not the public in service for them. To continue to allow the police to police themselves is a recipe for disaster. The police service has already proved it is incapable of disciplining its own members.

To be entirely truthful, if I were to witness a cop getting the crap beat out of him by some freaks, I seriously doubt I would call for help. Now before you start flaming me for that statement, ask yourself what it would take for a law abiding business owner to feel that way.

..Ex

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Not really, I honestly saw a zero threat situation

Exactly, because your focused on the cop vs the driver and NOT aware of the 15 other DEADLY threats that sped past. I am not saying that is why this officer tased the driver, I mentioned it because in some taser incidents along side DEADLY highways, that is why the driver got tased. I am just giving you some VALUABLE information for when you see something like this again....that way you see the ENTIRE situation and ALL factors rather then getting tunnel vision...so you can make a good judgment.

As I said in my earlier post...I agree he pulled the taser out to quickly and could of handled this guy differently, but thats me and MY mindet had I been in his shoes...bottom line is, a traffic stop can be and usually is the most dangerous thing a LEO does day in and day out...SOOOOO many deadly factors to consider while out there.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Maybe he was a little quick with the taser, but people need to understand if they would just comply with orders from the police that things will be fine.She started questioning him when he kept asking for the license and registration.When I get stopped I try to have them ready to make it easier for the officer.Just follow simple orders people.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
MA I couldn't agree more. This was Austin Texas and I'm not surprised.

I'm a realist here folks - and here's my reality - I drive a car with handicapped plates for a good reason and there's no way I could have complied in the time allotted so just shoot me and fuggedabout there being any chance of a less than lethal encounter considering all my various conditions, with my ticker the taser would've killed me on the spot. Then again, I'd never be in the position in in the first place, because I'm a survivor - I'll have my license and insurance out and ready, the door locked, the car off, the inside lights on, the window down enough to hand stuff out, both hands on the wheel and any attitude in check. Mister Yes Sir No Sir Thank You Officer. And it's likely they'll know I've got no record or warrants, fingerprints are already on file and am as deserving of respect as one of their bretheren in blue.

A general lack of respect on all sides with a dash of attitude, a pinch of civil disobedience and some steroids makes an evil cocktail.

gj

edit clarify

[edit on 7-4-2010 by ganjoa]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Thanks for the insightful glimpse into the real problem.
The apparent fact that in a matter of a civil traffic stop for a non-misdemeanor, the mindset that there is a safety issue requiring any use of force is exactly the problem. We've lost perspective it's - either or - action response - ring the cash register of justice. I can't buy any side of the argument.

gj

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Well I'm not actually a cop. I used to do loss prevention (undercover store security for the uninformed) until I finished up my 4 year degree and got my current job doing executive protection. For the record, am not a fan of Blackwater or Ex or whatever they had to rename themselves.

I cannot tell you what I would have done in the same situation as I could not see what the driver of the car was doing with his hands/body etc. I will tell you that if he was just sitting there not producing his license, or if he was acting in a manner that made me fear for my safety I would order him out of the car. Again, it depends on what the driver was doing. If someone said "Just a sec, I can't find it." and wasn't reaching in places I couldn't see etc. then I would give them all the time they needed. On the flip side, if they began acting strangely I would ask them to exit the car.

There are indeed close calls. If someone were to approach me, my client or my teammates in the wrong situation with a hand reaching into a jacket walking straight towards us I would draw my weapon. On one occasion this certainly prevented tragedy.

I am a huge advocate of 'verbal judo' and believe that many a confrontation can be avoided if this is implemented. I do think in this instance what was going on inside that car is very important to know.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

It did end up being a non misdemeanor, true. But when an officer pulls over a car, they don't know whats going to happen until the issue is resolved. I refuse to go as far as saying that you should just shut up and do whatever an officer tells you, but in this case the driver really was the one who escalated the situation. Even if I were to agree that asking the driver to go to the back of the vehicle was excessive, I saw a definite confrontation, which could have had tragic results if there were a struggle on the side of that road.

Edit: I keep forgetting to proof read. Dog sitting and this little pup is a handful, she keeps going for my shoelaces and is completely uninterested in the 5 toys I just bought.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Raustin]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join