It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Tripping Cop Tasers Person For Getting Their License Out Too Slowly

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Michael Hunter, Former New Orleans Cop, Admits Coverup In Post-Katrina Danziger Bridge Murders
sorry for the good guys but this is yet another story about corrupt cops.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I understand what people are saying that it was for their protection since they're on the side of the highway. But I would have liked for the officer to at least have warned him first. I.E. "Sir I am giving you another chance. If you do not do XXX then I will be forced to tase you." But instead the guy just pulls out a taser for no reason and shoots him without warning. That's bullcrap.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

There is no zero threat situation in a traffic stop. First when they ask you to exit the vehicle do so when he said move to the back of the car. The last thing you want to do is turn back towards the officer. Heres a video you may want to watch the officer spent way to much time telling the person what to do.This officer kept screaming for compliance and was killed! The officer never took him seriously he even does a dance for the officer.

WARNING THIS VIDEO MAY BE DISTURBING YOU WILL HEAR THE OFFICER PLEADING FOR HIS LIFE.

www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com...

[edit on 4/7/10 by dragonridr]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sadwolf

If a surgeon molested one of his patients would you be so ignorant as to label all surgeons bad people? There are some horrible HORRIBLE cops out there. I reported one for his behavior towards a woman that I had apprehended, and insisted that a female officer be the one to search her for what she had stuffed down her pants. I have seen videos that made my blood boil, but this is not one of them.

As an aside, I would also like to say that I deeply resent being referred to as a "badge kisser". Police work for the people and I deeply respect a citizens rights. I absolutely abhor police that give the rest a bad name.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rufusdrak

I'm glad that you recognize the danger in being on the side of the freeway. If you actually watch the video, the cop had the taser out before the driver exited the vehicle. He didn't just whip it out. I do agree that a verbal warning would have been nice.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

If I'm following your logic here, you're saying the state has the right to kill me because I may be liable for some civil penalty? Or only after provoking a misdemeanor (criminal) response to their felonious (criminal) conduct? Or are you saying a traffic stop is a misdemeanor criminal offense? I'm not meaning to interrogate you on this I just don't understand your position because I see no crime but the officer's.

MY position is that the entire situation is ludicrous on it's face, insane, neanderthal - deviant behavior for human beings, stupid. Please do not misunderstand or apply these adjectives to any persons here, attacks on individuals are not my intention. It's the concept, the idea, of force, violence, justifiable response, officer safety - over a license plate, civil penalty minor inconvenience. I'm sorry don't you see the insanity?Respect.

gj

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
Ugh

-A car with no rear license plate is suspicious

-A person stalling and digging around for his ID may be trying to dig out a weapon, we can't see whats going on in the car

-Upon being asked to go to the back of the vehicle the person becomes confrontational on the side of the freeway, cop does not want to wrestle the person and risk both of their lives (notice the cars zooming by and realize that people frequently crash into what they are looking at on the side of the road)

I think that cops use tasers in dumb situations a little too often, but I would have done the same thing. The person was not tased because they were taking too long to get out the license but for for being confrontational in a dangerous situation.

Argh I can't spell

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Raustin]

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Raustin]

What ? Are you mad ?

The Tazer was introducd as an alternative to lethal force - got that ! An alternative to lethal force - if you think this situation required lethal force you are misguided.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
High speed interstate highways have been around for nearly 60 years now. This "high-speed vehicles close by" claim makes no sense. In past years speed limits were higher. But I don't recall any reports of drivers being physically subdued (well, in the past it would have been beaten with a nightstick) because a cop was afraid of highway traffic. Please.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

I would ask that you reread my post. I did, and the only thing I saw that could be misconstrued to mean that I in any way advocated killing was when I said it could have lead to tragic results. By this I meant a car hitting one of the two.

In my post I was attempting to illustrate the possibility that a very little traffic stop (as in speeding, expired tabs, no tail light) can turn into a nightmare for a cop that pulls over a person who is a wanted felon, is carrying a weapon, carrying drugs or has a body in the trunk. Desperate people do desperate things and a cop really has no idea who is talking to until they are identified.

I hope that you know I greatly value civility, kindness and avoiding violence at all cost. I just understand that in some situations violence is necessary and in this instance I think tasing the individual was more appropriate than struggling next to cars whizzing by.

I do indeed see the insanity of the situation. I think it was insane for the driver to act so hostile towards the officer. I will concede he (the cop) sounded like a prick, but I still think his actions after the driver exited the vehicle were appropriate.

I respect your opinion and I'm glad that we are having this discussion with such civility, as I understand that this is a contentious issue.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
OK...
This cop should be canned, plain and simple...

For all of you saying that "its a dangerous situation being on the side of a highway"
YOU DO REALIZE THAT THERE IS A PASSENGER SIDE OF THE CAR, RIGHT?????

There is absolutely NO reason that this officer should not have gone to the passenger side of the car to begin with...

The officer DID NOT give the driver sufficient time to get his license and insurance papers...
He barely gave the guy time to process the command...

Someone said something about having your license and insurance ready by the time he gets up to the car...
Guess what???
If the officer sees you moving around in the car before he gets there, he is going to think you were either hiding something or that you were retrieving a weapon.. So NO, that is NOT a good idea...

To the other people that always chime in saying that one bad cops doesn't make them all bad.
Guess what???
That is a two way street.. Just because a very small portion of the citizens are "criminals", doesn't mean that you have the right to threat everybody that way...

if being a cops is so "scary" find another line of work...

peace

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I agree. And a second line to state that i wholly agree with what the poster and myself stated.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
i for some strange reason think that Veitnam vet got the wrong civil costum... ("law" "enforcement" "officer") , but the whole "ignorance of the law is no excuse" thing... applies to the LEO's too... im sure not every civil costumed figure has all of the 60,000 statutes memorized, and can enforce them in real time while, dealing with the society...

I mean alot of "officers" usually run into the the sh1tbags of society but they treat everyone as a criminal during routine traffic stops and the like... and even if you find your self in central booking... like because they have booked someone for a class c misdemeanor, why do they treat "civilians" like # during in-processing, before you dress out to be bused to the county... most people aren't criminals... and dont even deserve to be jailed in the first place... but these F%*()ing a$$78902 are tasering people for no reason... i have ran into police officers that their heads on thier shoulders however but we only get to see what their doing wrong, cause merits for being a "model citizen" doesn't ever make it to the public eye...

its a tough job and highly stress full, but if you cant take the heat, your gonna take it out on society... and probably the undeserving... like this person in this 4-year old video...

i cant stand police these days... 5 miles over the speed limit?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Absolutely

Caught up in the inevitable posting lag time - having posted my personal situation earlier, I was caught up in the implications for self. My bad inference, sorry.

edit add: Thanks for finding that crack in my subjective reality (U2U).

gj

[edit on 8-4-2010 by ganjoa]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Unbelievable....
This video got me so mad.......
I cant believe the US actually has police officers like that...
And I thought police in Israel was bad.........

This officer should get a year in jail in a cell with real nasty people.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by baphomet420

I will state it yet again, we don't know what the cop was seeing inside the car. The driver very well could have been refusing to do what what was asked, or doing something else that made the officer fear for his safety. I am going to ask that you review the video and listen to the passenger sounding frustrated with the driver asking that the license be produced.

I am not sure why they approach the drivers side of the car, but that's the way I've always seen it done. If the cop had gone up to the passengers window and the driver was refusing his requests to show identification, the cop would have to walk over to the other side, giving the driver ample time to procure a weapon, speed off etc.

I generally have my ID and insurance ready by the time the oficer gets to my window (I get pulled over a little too often), but agree that scrounging around for those documents may not be wise.

It is a two way street. If the officer had come up to the window and the person had responded with a modicum of civility this whole thing would have been avoided. Treat cops like you would anyone else, without the posturing and they will treat you well, generally. Again, there are some really ###### cops out there.

Being a cop is scary, and if you're not scared there is something VERY wrong with you. Protecting yourself is important.

To scooterstrats:

Just because you don't recall incidents of people being subdued along the highway does not mean they have not happened. It is incredibly naive to believe otherwise. The baton is arguably more dangerous than the taser. The taser is not an alternative to lethal force, it is considered a non lethal option for a number of situations.

To Ganjoa:

Thank you for the kind U2U, I look forward to future discussions with you.

To Everyone:

I hope that you know while I may disagree I deeply value all your opinions. I really despise 'cowboy' cops and I think this officer could have done better. I don't think he was being malicious, I think he was fearing for his safety and that led to a series of decisions on his part, and reactions by the driver, that were both a bit unfortunate. In no way do I think the officer acted perfectly, but with my experience I cannot fault his use of force. In a perfect world, there would be no violence, and no need for cops. Sadly, we haven't gotten there yet.

Edit due to puppy assault. This little lady is too cute. It's hard to discuss violence and such when you have a gorgeous little pup gnawing on your arm and trying to cuddle.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Raustin]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

That cop may be scum but at least he's restrained scum, he tazed the person and then just patiently waits, no other beatings or brutality (maybe he's just too lazy to beat the person senseless and would rather let technology do the job for him)

What I'd like to see are a few text book videos of good cops pulling people over, to contrast against this guy.

70 in a 65 and ends up tazed on the ground and yet somehow remains fairly calm, I know I'd be flipping out at the officer (probably getting myself further into trouble)...

I know its supposed to be only a handful of bad apples making the rest look bad but honestly how many rotten apples do we need to see before we start looking for flaws in how we pick the apples?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Where is the "Serve and Protect" here ?

Looking at the time stamp on the officer's cam.

From the time he makes his request for License, Registration and Proof of Insurance, to the time in which he is already opening the Driver's door is only about 10 Seconds.

Had the Officer's actions been in accordance with with his Departments Standard Operating Procedures there would not have been grounds for his being suspended.

Fortunately for the Dash Cam capturing this incident in Real Time it only further exemplifies as to why Blacks often label LEO as Terrorists.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Before I start, I just want to say to those who making excuses for that police office need a real reality check...

ok here's the problem with this whole thing......

The officer did the right thing at first.. followed the rules..he got up to the car, he told the guy the reason why he stopped him and asked him for his license/reg., we all do agree on that right?

but here's where's the problem starts...

as soon as he finished what he had to say (0:13), a second later(0:14), he raised his voice louder going into (0:15), so since we cant see whats happening in the car. within that one second, the guy in the car should have received the message to his brain and to react and lets assume, he had his papers in his wallet sitting on it or even in the glove department while wearing his seatbelt,which restrict a bit of movement, so oblivious it'll take some time to get it,right or wrong? and from the looks of the drivers head movement within those seconds...

he was looking at the officer speaking (0:13) he then moves his head to get to where his paper was at(0:14)then right after, less than a few millisecond onto (:15) the cop raised his voice......so the cop should have waited at least 10-20 up to 30 seconds before yelling it out again, got to put in consideration the driver isnt superman, he cant do all of that within 3 little seconds, (not every person receive the signal to the brain so quickly to do what we have to do). And we cant even say he was trying to stall from getting it since it happened so quickly and not a lot of strange movement like reaching under the seat, into the side, to the back or anywhere for any threat so thats where the problem started with the cop

but the thing is yeah i do agree the guy should have kept quiet til he got his papers but if a person raised their voice at you, Are you going to be able to control it? (not everyone can) esp. when you doing what they asking for. but he still remained calmed with his words and acted non-violently and kept on talking while he was trying to get his papers which he has EVERY RIGHT TO DO SO since the cop put his voice up, so the cop really had no reason to open the door right after the guy said the first little 3 words and pull out his taser while giving him the 3rd warning with a weapon (yes a weapon, it can kill) in his hand when the guy isnt acting or showing any violent behavior and then the guy comes out and the cops tries to grab his arm which YOU CANNOT DO TO A PERSON since you dont know how their natural defense reaction is going to be and on the guy first little guster, tase him..What if it was a gun? then what?..

Why he couldnt waited for a few seconds to let the guy move and get it... then just open the door, if there was a reason to, ask the guy to come out... if he doesnt, repeat it once again in a loud tone and if the person doesnt listen, THEN take out that taser and depending on the person reaction use it or not if you feel threatened, I'm sure he isnt a rookie and been doing it for a while to know how to control something like that without any weapons and such so quickly ... the guy was just expressing himself thru his words, and nothing more, he can keep on talking sh|t or shut up, Cant try to force him cause you dont want to hear it (which almost every cops do). so the blame goes to... THE COP!!! for over reacting so quick which started the whole mess and violating rights.

and believe me, I've been pulled over and took way more time to get the papers or didnt have no reg. for the car and did much more movement while talking and even talking back to a group of cops for trying to play me and all of them kept their cool and didnt arrest me. This cop was being a freakin ashole and nothing more,unprofessional. yes there's bad and good cops but theres more bad then good.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

Where is the "Serve and Protect" here ?

Looking at the time stamp on the officer's cam.

From the time he makes his request for License, Registration and Proof of Insurance, to the time in which he is already opening the Driver's door is only about 10 Seconds.

Had the Officer's actions been in accordance with with his Departments Standard Operating Procedures there would not have been grounds for his being suspended.

Fortunately for the Dash Cam capturing this incident in Real Time it only further exemplifies as to why Blacks often label LEO as Terrorists.

I was writing my reply then sent it then saw yours..... same thing that i'm saying... the cop messed up but the only right thing he did after he tased him was to remain calm like someone mentioned

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join