It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What 'abilities' do you believe the mind is capable [spiritually?]?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

"Where the is a will, there is a way."

There are many things we, as humans are able to do using our mind. We have the will power, sometimes, to do such things that seem incredibly impossible, and yet we find a way.

But, for the sake of this thread, let's be open minded here and see what you all have to say. What do you, personally, believe the mind is capable of? What can be unlocked? Is the mind magical in a sense? Could we will ourselves to fly around, have some sort of super powers? Could we will ourselves to create something never before seen by another? The possibilities are endless, but I would like to hear what you all have to say.

This doesn't have to be something spiritual, but of course spirituality plays a big part in all of our lives whether you know it or not. Our minds are our consciousness, and our consciousness is who we are, what we are, and what we will always be. So, truthfully the possibilities, as I said, are honestly endless.

What can you all come up with, why do you believe it to be so, and what would be the practical use of such ability(ies)?

Me, personally, I believe that if we open our minds to a level never seen before we would discover we have the ability to use senses we currently do not use. For example, telepathic abilities. Once we raise our vibrational levels high enough there will be no use for words because they cannot even begin to describe the things we will see in the future if things go in a certain direction for us all while we're still in our physical bodies so we will have to speak telepathically to explain our emotions and such. You know you have those moments where you cannot explain something in words, however your mind would be able to compensate for that lacking if it were able to communicate telepathically I believe, at least in some sense... maybe...?

So, what do you all believe?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Patenjali listed the abilities that come naturally just by reaching the 3rd eye in full consciousness. The third eye is just the starting point. There are two minds, the lower and the higher. The lower is focused on the body and downward energy flows. The higher mind is focused upwards on the divine. Engaging the cooperation of the mind (by the spirit) is essential for real spiritual advancement. The mind, however, is not spiritual but material, like the body. It will be left behind in the upper regions of the spiritual/material division. The spirit alone will enter its home in the purely spiritual worlds.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Personally i think the government has researched all this and they already know.

Sexual energies are very important for extra senses, from what i know. That does not mean the act of sex, it means sexual energies that we all have.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Well infinity, but all in good time. As for the present the psi/esp/intuitive ones seem to be the most handy. Seeing auras or astral travel is great but not so usefell for the daily grind. If one could remote view without having to go into deep meditation, now that would be cool. Another great one would be a full telepathic link, where all that is known by one could be just downloaded to another. The reason why I chose intuitive type perception at the top is becasue it could save your life one day.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Hi mate,

Great questions, at the request and after being absolutely badgered by a good friend(after a paranormal event that is a very long story), today I bought a book about Edgar Cayce and another book by David Morehouse. Both deal with issues you raise but deal with topics that I am new too.
I believe our mind can effect our health and well being, but I view this as being related to the homeostatic processes because it is all connected. To be specific, I think that we can endure stress on those processes through determination or an ability to endure negative feedback, consequences that in similar or identical circumstances, kill one human but another survives. I think there are many examples of that.
I am open to the idea that the mind itself, could effect the physical world and the body apart from the processes and abilities we have now, that are purely visceral in nature.

I am pretty skeptical, and more given to empirical evidence so it will be interesting to read these two books.
I like the synchronicity of your thread and I am not going to try and rationalize it at all.

Cool thread, S and F.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by Derised Emanresu]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Derised Emanresu

You raised the psychological side of this conversation inside of me... one could debate the human mind is capable of many things through psychological processes unknown to humanity at this point in time. Although I think that many abilities have been unlocked through out history and have been lost.

If we take a look back at things as simple as cave drawings, we see patterns emerge that can back modern day geometry. The mind is a powerful thing, and when used with the spiritual consciousness I believe anything is truly possible.

So, there really is the whole "mind" part to this thread, and the "spirit" side as well. Combine the both, use them in true harmony, and you would look at things quite differently I would expect.

Needless to say, that would include some abilities, or extra senses that we are currently unaware of... I just am wondering what some people are thinking they may be. Obviously, like I mentioned, the whole telepathic ability is widespread among metaphysics but what else is there that isn't brought up frequently?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Talk bout some kind of synchronicity - i JUST started a thread about a 'mental/spiritual' ability i have noticed relating to health and illness and our ability to heal ourselves.

Am pretty tired and need to sleep so am just going to link it up and let people view it at their pleasure

The Thread

Nice thread by the way

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I believe the mind is the biggest trickster of all time!!

I think it's greatest ability is the way it attempts to trick me and keep me safe in my own little box,,,I'm fighting it though, "believe me"!! hehe,,,

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Thanks
And yeah it's weird... I was honestly trying to remember a thread idea I had for these forums I had yesterday and could not remember, but I came up with this thought about abilities so I thought I'd open up a topic about it... honestly I didn't even check the forums before posting it neither.

I do believe spiritually you are able to heal yourself in some way(s). Once while projecting I was with my spirit guides and asked specifically about my illnesses (bipolar, OCD, ADD, anxiety) and was told that for now I should stay with my current regiment of medication, but in time I would advance enough to control the chemical balances within my body. Talk about a straight forward answer, eh? It was good advice whether you believe I talked to my spirit guides or not, but I know I did and it was a great experience. In fact, that experience in particular changed my life forever. Once I came back to my physical body, I felt completely changed... like in a new body/mind. I felt refreshed, and like I've never been before - I was feeling no anxiety or OCD.

In fact, I realized that my OCD had always been the route of my anxieties, and that somehow through the projection I had been lifted above and beyond those issues and was now free of them. Gradually I have slipped out of meditating as much and because of it my anxiety/OCD has been bothering me... something has been holding me back lately from my meditation, I don't exactly know what but it's there. I need to get back into it... I feel like I'm just being really lazy, but I'm hoping that that it is something else, but at the same time maybe it would be better if it is just that I'm being lazy (as in that would be better than it being something more serious I guess, right?).

So, health can be changed through meditation... with meditation you use the mind in harmony with your higher self/consciousness - so we can mark that down as an ability. But then you can break that down a lot and see there are tons of ways to heal yourself and others. I am able to sense my own energy, as I'm sure most of you can as well, although I am still new to the subject of healing, I have attempted to use my energy to heal different parts of my body, as well as trying to help speed the process of healing up.

Everything really is "mind over matter" but you have to incorporate the spiritual element into that equation or I disbelieve it will work completely. YES the mind is very powerful alone, although people claiming their mind is all the power of their abilities are sadly mistaken, they are actually using their spirituality and not even realizing it. In fact I think we take our spirituality for granite everyday, also without realizing it. Raising our awareness level would allow us to develop abilities we're unaware of (obviously!).

So... what else do you all have for me?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Holist1c

I'm glad you just said that... really our mind protects us against many things. We are desensitized to things naturally it seems - to some extent - for protection. We are born with a certain level of desensitization, although with the things we see, and go though in life those levels change rapidly.

For example, someone fighting in a war is more likely to be OK with seeing a dead body than someone you pick randomly off the street. Although some of us, another example is a CSI, are naturally inclined to be OK with seeing such things and being able to handle it.

Without the protection, the natural protection, of the human mind, those people would not be able to sleep at night, and some cannot which is a fact - so everyones levels are different. But they can change... that's why some people choose therapy for their problems, and some use other outlets to help themselves. I have tried both, and find I know myself much better than anyone else, and although I'm not afraid to ask for help when I need it, I'd rather deal with things on my own manner through meditation.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
this is a cool thread, it will make alot of people think

hmmm, i believe you can influence anything and everything with thought alone, i have read of rumors that the maho tsukai, the japanese mountain 'sorcerers' and age hardened wise monks were able to create things into existence, or make things happen, alter someones actions or thoughts from miles away... this was of course around the dates 800-1300ad, it is a fact they were spiritually advanced though...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I beleive that getting hung up on spiritual abilities is exactly that... getting hung up.

While through personal experiance I can say that I have seen some crazy things, and that the mind is an incredibly powerfull tool, abilities are not of great importance.

If you achieve power through meditation and practice, and you let that overwhelm you, you will lose your path. If you are born "special" you can also be held back if you focus too much on what makes you so, and forget what path you should be on.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by fedeykin
I beleive that getting hung up on spiritual abilities is exactly that... getting hung up.

While through personal experiance I can say that I have seen some crazy things, and that the mind is an incredibly powerfull tool, abilities are not of great importance.

If you achieve power through meditation and practice, and you let that overwhelm you, you will lose your path. If you are born "special" you can also be held back if you focus too much on what makes you so, and forget what path you should be on.

i gave you a star because that could not be closer to the truth, power is one of the greatest forces that could detere you from your original goals

but, i will add that 'psychic' and 'extra ordinary' experiences are usually nothing more than by products of unseen and complex, dynamic forms natural human body use, let me explain

alot of people think that they can 'sense' people with their 'aura' and that means they are 'psychic', well the human body is an electric 'magnet' and a 'conductor' all at once, starting at the brain, small electric signals are sent to every part of the body to direct movement, keep the heart pumping, etc. this is all done like a magnet because most of the current returns through your skin back to your brain, usually in the form of 'sensation' in nerve ssignals, allowing you to feel things.... but some energy is displaced because the whole system creates a weak organic magnetic feild, you can see this feild in korrilian (sp?) photography and it is known as a person's 'aura', there are excentric practices that can allow you to strengthen this feild and in turn 'feel' when someone is behind you without hearing or seeing them, simply by feeling their magnetic feild interfere with yours,

so you see in the end, in that example, you would not be 'learning' a 'psychic' ability, you would be actually just tapping into a natural element of the human body

some 'psychic' abilities do not apply of course, such as remote viewing, how the hell that is done... i have no clue, but it IS possible and somehow it DOES work and anyone can do it

my main point is that although you are correct, poeple can be detered from their path like that, also, every psychic ability, or actually most if not all, have roots in very human and very real natural functions, and learning more about them is learning more about yourself,

so there really are two paths, the path of obsessive power that perhaps could lead to more power or greater confusion

and the path of self discovery, in which an interest in the threads subject could began enlightenment and personal spiritual knowledge..

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I guess that what I am saying in my first reply, is that I don't separate my "mind" from my body or any of its parts or systems.
I also think that spirituality can involve the physical existence we experience, if you know what I mean?
In that sense, ones spirituality could be an ability that is underestimated because we may focus on it as being related to more abstract elements rather then thinking of it as an ability we could employ within the physical world.
Kind of like, we divide the spiritual up from the physical and we may only focus on our spiritual ability to deal with issues like the afterlife or simply as a guide rather then a factor in our everyday life.
In that sense it could be a spiritual ability of the mind that is effectively ignored in terms of applying it to the physical world.

Interesting now hat I think about it personally, I actually have never thought about it that way before because I view spirituality as kind of dealing with abstracts and unknowables that come after this existence.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
this is a cool thread, it will make alot of people think

hmmm, i believe you can influence anything and everything with thought alone, i have read of rumors that the maho tsukai, the japanese mountain 'sorcerers' and age hardened wise monks were able to create things into existence, or make things happen, alter someones actions or thoughts from miles away... this was of course around the dates 800-1300ad, it is a fact they were spiritually advanced though...

Interesting... Although science may play a role into this thread, I don't want to debunk or even try to debunk anything with science against anything anyone says in this thread specifically. In this instance I'm going to say though that I believe it to be true that matter cannot be created nor destroyed, so the manipulation of matter seems plausible if you were, or are, spiritually advanced.

Like I mentioned above, I believe that many things have been lost over time due to society and how we view life as a whole. Like the city of Atlantis, spirituality could be hidden just as well... and along with it, the secrets and advancements that have taken place within those who were there, or who have been through it. Humans have probably been around much longer than we care to admit, or are able to comprehend.

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge here, but I remember reading that we may be on our 5th round of civilization right now and are due for extinction again... am I correct there or...? As in, humans have advanced to certain points and been wiped out completely 4 others time previously, and the next time will be the 5th... and it is just a cycle. Maybe some sort of mother nature purge? I know there is much that goes along with this theory, so if someone could shed some light on what I'm [partially] remembering, that would be great! And if you could also provide a link, or a search string for me to help me do some research, that would be great.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by fedeykin

I completely agree, see my signature and you will see I understand
That quote is something I just added this morning too by the way, very coincidental...

While I agree with what you say, I think learning an ability and focusing on it to an extent is OK. Being well rounded is best though, and I tend to think of myself as a very well rounded person overall. Not just spiritually, but completely. So, if you were to find some ability and exercise it, use it, focus on it, and gain power with it, you should also try and hardness energy from other abilities as well as the one you've focused on. Focusing on one thing for too long will definitely get you hung up and may get you very, very lost.

Originally posted by Derised Emanresu

I guess that what I am saying in my first reply, is that I don't separate my "mind" from my body or any of its parts or systems.
I also think that spirituality can involve the physical existence we experience, if you know what I mean?
In that sense, ones spirituality could be an ability that is underestimated because we may focus on it as being related to more abstract elements rather then thinking of it as an ability we could employ within the physical world.
Kind of like, we divide the spiritual up from the physical and we may only focus on our spiritual ability to deal with issues like the afterlife or simply as a guide rather then a factor in our everyday life.
In that sense it could be a spiritual ability of the mind that is effectively ignored in terms of applying it to the physical world.

Interesting now hat I think about it personally, I actually have never thought about it that way before because I view spirituality as kind of dealing with abstracts and unknowables that come after this existence.

You're absolutely right! We do separate the physical and the spiritual stuff too much sometimes. I mentioned combining the mind with the spiritual self and using it in harmony, and in fact I believe that would give you the best access to your higher self. You might as well use all the energy you have to grant yourself access to your higher self, so if it's there, use it!

I do want to add... maybe every possible ability, which technically there more than likely is an infinite amount of them (if you really think about it...) are already within us to an extent. We just have to harness and emphasize such abilities. Well, actually I guess I'm just stating the obvious here... It's not like anyone is going to think up something completely unheard of, and even if it were something unheard of, it doesn't mean it's original... everything has been said before you have said it and in every way possible, as well as everything thought up, by someone prior to you. Whether it be a physical person on this planet in present tense, past tense, or a spiritual entity from another realm.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Connections HO...connections connections connections

I think the mid has the ability to connect to people regardless of distance. No I don't technically have science to back me up here but come on....the stories are endless

When my grandmother died, she left behind two twins and two daughters who were not twins. One of the twins was at home when she died. Two minutes later, the other twin called from her Hawaiin vacation and asked what was wrong. I just don't know how science can explain this at this point.

My wife and I have had several moments where we can feel when something lovely or bad is happening...empathy (reading someone's emotions without discussion)...all these things cause me to believe the mind is for much more than storage and automatic functions

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I can bend spoons.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

You don't need science to back you up on that stuff, I agree with you, and know exactly what you're talking about.

I was born, what some may think, as over-sensitive. However, I find my 'over-sensitiveness' to be helpful in everyday living very much, not to mention I think it goes much deeper then what people may believe.

I too can 'sense' peoples emotions, and I am very skilled in psychology naturally. I think we are all to a point, some more than others, and I would put myself high up on the ranks (and no I'm not gloating, just expressing myself here). I empathize with others very easily, I can put myself into others shoes as if I'm literally living their lives - and then feel their emotions within myself. In doing so I am able to connect to people rather quickly.

I, honest to [your] God, have had many complete strangers come up to me and open up to me about very deep, personal things asking for advice. This has happened at many random places, but also at parties/get-togethers, where there are going to be people I do not know, or do not know very well. People will open up to me, and after talking realize what they've done, and say things like "Wow, I don't even know why I said that" or "I've never been able to tell anyone that before..." or "I feel like I've known you for years!"

This has caused me problems though too of course. I have jumped into a lot of relationships with women because of this very thing. I believe I know someone very well, and I do, but then things come out of the wood work so to speak, that I didn't know about someone that ends up bothering me, OR I know them very well and get the girl to fall for me quickly, but they don't know me well enough from the beginning and the relationship is doomed from the start. And wow, now that I've just typed that I think I just realized a lot of my current problems can be fixed with some minor tweaking of my social skills, so thanks for bringing this up - seems like it was 'meant to be' ha!

But really, I know what you mean completely. The whole twin phenomena has been going on since the dawn of time I assume since I have heard about it all my life and know there have been documentations about such things as twins being connected somehow mentally from many, many years ago. I know studies have been done as well, but I believe no science has been all too conclusive on the subject. Nonetheless I still believe there is something there, just as I believe in astral projection and even though there have been studies done that have shown it to be real, there are always studies shown that aren't conclusive as well... science is behind when it comes to spirituality, it will never catch up because... well I can't really explain it, now can I? But you all know what I mean.

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I can bend spoons.

Yes and I can use my mind to stare at goats and make them fall over

Actually, if you can bend spoons, please make a video and post it in this thread. I'd very much like to see this! And no editing your video!!!

Edit: Here ya go! Bending spoons & forks! How it's really done!

[edit on 6/4/2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
humans are capable of telepathic communication. this is the only one i know of first hand, not saying there aren't more tricks we haven't found yet.

without getting into a hailstorm of subjective intangible "How"-based questions, i will suggest a better starting position to take would be a "Why"?

i will say that its biggest involvement has a lot to do with Trust. however to explain Trust and the role it plays between 2 entities would be a lost cause, as the definition(subjective) materializes through everyday-life experience...and to take any perspective other than 1st person, shifts the overall position on understanding...thus starting the "loop" over again.

once the act of trust is learned and moreover understood, between multiple entities, the rules of the playing field can and will be changed.

personally i dont believe in magic or science...just tricks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join