It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korean navy ship sinks, North link played down

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I have beenreading this since it was posted and have not heard a single word from FOX,CNN,MSNBC or HLN everything is about healthcare reform blah blah

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
I can't see this turning into open war,there is just too much at stake for each side,millions of people would die,and the fallout would cross the globe,this will probably just go down as another skirmish in Korea's embattled history imo.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by all2human]

Maybe I'm so "ready" for something to happen that I'm starting to let my imagination get ahead of me, I really hope your right

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawaiinguy12
reply to post by dodgygeeza

Wrong. I think it would be fun as hail. All those fun radiation bursts and bullets flying around. Afterall everyone in America is obsessed with movies about war and guns so why not bring it from the screen to real life? Its only fair

Well you are right I have to admit! Just think, in 60 years time there might be a heroic 10 part series "Band of Burgers"

I think this quote fits perfectly though:

War is delightful to those who have not experienced it. * Desiderius Erasmus

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012
I have beenreading this since it was posted and have not heard a single word from FOX,CNN,MSNBC or HLN everything is about healthcare reform blah blah

That's what I was going to point out. Apparently the U.S. media doesn't think this is a huge deal. Considering we have 40,000 troops in the area, I would think it's a serious concern.

Useless media.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

hmm theres a dangerous scenario. a more radical faction in the army stages a coup, kills and imprisons the jong ill and co. and then proceeds to go to war with south korea... its possible... perhaps more so then even we know. afterall we always hear about how hardcore north korea is and yet they dont attack the south. im sure there are factions in the political and military landscape of north korea, like any other country in the world, who want war war war with the US and South Korea... as odd as it sounds, kim jong ill may be seen as a dove compared to some folks in the establishment...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I really wish I could give you more stars for that post..

there are some real war feinds on ATS..

I hope for their sake and mine that they never have to see one.. and if they do have to see one.. I hope they aren't fighting beside me..

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

We could only hope that it's because they know this is going to blow over. They have to have a few people keeping an eye on the situation though.

link   
Situation Update No. 1

Posted:2010-03-26, 15:32:57 [UTC]

Ref.no.: EX-20100326-25463-KOR

Situation Update No. 1
On 2010-03-26 at 15:41:34 [UTC]

Event: Explosion

Number of Missing: 104 person(s)

Situation:

South Korea's navy has opened fire on an unidentified ship in the Yellow Sea after reports that one of its own ships was attacked. The South Korean naval vessel with more than 100 aboard is reportedly sinking in waters near North Korea amid reports of a torpedo attack by the North. Broadcaster SBS said many South Korean sailors on the stricken vessel were feared dead. South Korea's YTN TV network said the government was investigating whether the sinking was due to a torpedo attack by the North, and Yonhap news agency said the Seoul government had convened an emergency meeting of security-related ministers. Yonhap also reported a South Korean navy ship firing towards an unidentified vessel to the north.

link   
reply to post by antonia

yeah i flipepd to CNN thinkin theyd be all over it and i have yet to hear or see a word about it. not even in thier "top stories" segment... worthless MSM indeed. its disgusting how much information they dont tell people... theyd rather focus on counting how many woman jesse james is bangin..

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
reply to post by antonia

We could only hope that it's because they know this is going to blow over. They have to have a few people keeping an eye on the situation though.

They haven't mentioned it once. That's not keeping an eye on anything.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thoreau1

I really wish I could give you more stars for that post..

there are some real war feinds on ATS..

I hope for their sake and mine that they never have to see one.. and if they do have to see one.. I hope they aren't fighting beside me..
Well a thought if they want to see a war why don't they enlist and goto iraq/afghanistan

[edit on 26-3-2010 by alchemist2012]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hawaiinguy12
I don't think so.

I believe the 48 hour timeline was triggered by a certain warning level at the pentagon, similar to the one before 9-11

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Huffington Post is covering it. They seem to be pretty on top of coverage, generally speaking.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I believe the 48 hour timeline was triggered by a certain warning level at the pentagon, similar to the one before 9-11 ///"question"why does it seem that evreything is related to 9-11?

link   

Several South Korean sailors have been killed in the incident, South Korean media reported

www.rte.ie...
there are casualties..

considering the history of clashes, they are becoming more frequent. there have been 3 clashes in the last 5 months. there have been clashes just as serious as this one. however, this is never something to play down, the fact is the Koreas' are at War and have been since 1950, any incident involving the deatsh of soldiers, sailors or airmen could provoke retaliation which then could provoke retaliation and before you know it, things have spiraled out of control and you have a full blown war on your hands. dont underestimate the seriousness of the situation is what im tryin to say.

UPDATE:
www.abs-cbnnews.com...

South Korea's government called an emergency meeting but a presidential spokeswoman said it was still unclear whether the sinking resulted from a clash with North Korea.

A South Korean naval vessel opened fire on an unidentified object but it was later found to be a flock of birds, the joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by TheCoffinman]

link   
reply to post by antonia

One poster actually already linked an article that CNN has written. It's not a headline or anything but they have something up on their website. I'm sure they are waiting for more information to do anything to major, if it become necessary.

*edit: Just checked and Fox has a story as well. Couldn't find anything for MSNBC but I didn't look very hard.

Fox

CNN

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Styki]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I want everyone to understand I'm a pacifist but I have to admit I want S. Korea to finally shut Kim up. He makes so many threats and either just shut the hell up or get shut up. I doubt the US and S. Korea will just say, "Well N. Korea sank a ship will over 100 people, it's no big deal".

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MotherofBlessings

Yonhap reported earlier that a South Korean ship fired shots toward an unidentified target in the direction of North Korea. The military official confirmed that shots were fired but said the object detected by radar may have been a flock of birds.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Lets hope it was a flock of birds.
Maybe the south Korean vessel was conducting "live fire" exercises,which resulted in an accidental explosion on board?

[edit on 26/3/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Responsible media will wait for information before releasing any blanket statements...but in saying that, I think they can report on the basics...ship sinking, reported deaths, information is still shaky as to what happened and what consequences it will have...more as it develops.

incidently, I do seem to remember a populous movement of the south koreans wanting the US out of the country...I wonder how this plays into the whole picture...be it a false flag operation (I hate that word, but something to consider), or something else...meh, assume nothing and just listen is the key here

[edit on 26-3-2010 by SaturnFX]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Well its like a large Lunatic Asylum North Korea*, And certainly you have to be, or become mad by the time you get to a position close enough to Kim to be able to lead a coup.

An unknown unquantified, fresh faced and hungry madman, is much scarier than an old, comfortable, ill madman!

The Amount of Weapons of Mass destruction esp Nerve, Bacteriological agents, even if they dont have a working Nuke is enough to lay a wasteland on the south, all of japan, and a large part of China.

What would a Madman do, one who is mad enough to want to be, and overthrow a Dictator anyhow, when a few thousand Cruise Missiles strike at the same time with American Fighters and Bombers destroying the North, after an Hour surrender?

Or fire the last volley?

It indeed as you say is a much scarier scenario, and I for one will be more pleased if Kim gets on TV and said it was me you imperilistic fools, and dont go into my waters agian, or we will sink another boat.

Back to Tit for Tat small scale events.

It has to be said though this event now places the whole penninsula coup or not on a par to when America was fighting a war there.

This certainly as the ship has apparently sunk and the loss of life, is the most dangerous time in Korean history for the past 40-50 years.

Kind Regards,

Elf

* (not belittling the people, but the way society is created, and controlled by Mad Men at the top)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join