It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korean navy ship sinks, North link played down

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+58 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

South Korean navy ship sinks, North link played down

www.reuters.com...

A South Korean naval ship was sinking on Friday after possibly being hit by a North Korean torpedo and several sailors were killed, South Korean media reported.

A South Korean warship later fired at an unidentified vessel toward the north, indicating a possible attack, and the South's presidential Blue House was holding an emergency security meeting, the Yonhap news agency said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: Edited to include article and not translated ticker report.

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 3/27/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
(AP) = 26 days gimgwigeun reporter 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 Baengnyeong Island near the West Sea naval patrol guards, we were inundated with it come jungyimyeo unknown cause, the rescue operation now underway, according to the Navy.

초계함에는 승무원 104명이 탑승하고 있으며 아직 인명 피해는 확인되지 않고 있다. There were 104 crew on board must patrol and has not yet been confirmed fatalities.
[email protected] [email protected]
(끝) (End)

translate.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
oh dear!

how did you manage to decipher that from the translation? im guessing you can also speak korean !

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
More links to the story.... Seems as though information is sketchy at the moment.

News Yohap

CNN

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Here is a new link:

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

edit - sorry Chaos

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Casing]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
S n F....

Just seen this on Sky News..... Apparently it was a North Korean torpedo...

Perhaps Kimmy is starting to make good on his threats?

I pray not....

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by order in chaos

Wow, i just turned on the news (Sky News) and they are saying that many are feared dead after the strike from North Korea.

Guess Kim isn't just all talk after all then it seems.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Wow, This could be big news. This could ignite war in Korea again.

Possible toredo attack by the North on a South Korean navy ship.

From Reuters:
uk.reuters.com...
A South Korean naval ship fired at an unidentified vessel to the north on Friday after a South Korean naval vessel began sinking, the Yonhap news agency reported.

Broadcaster SBS said many sailors were feared dead on the stricken ship.

Earlier, South Korea's YTN TV network said the government was investigating whether the sinking was due to a torpedo attack by the North.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Earlier, South Korea's YTN TV network said the government was investigating whether the sinking was due to a torpedo attack by the North.

They are saying on the news right now that is WAS from North Korea.

So bad news indeed

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

S. Korean Navy shoots at unidentified ship toward north

Source: Yonap news agency

Are they shooting at eachother? I sure hope not.... this comes just a few hour after North Korea's warning of Unprecedented Nuclear Strikes

edit to change days to hours in above link to warning of nuclear strike

[edit on 26/3/2010 by FreezeM]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
Guess Kim isn't just all talk after all then it seems.

If it was him. There are certain people that could use the sinking of a ship as a justification for war. And they've done it a few times before as I recall.

This is certainly a distressing story. I think there have been conflicts between NK and SK ships in the past but I don't know if any have been sunk before.

This is a very provocative act and if South Korea has returned fire this could start to get ugly fast.

I hope the sailors get rescued quickly there should be plenty of friendly ships around.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
We can just hope the South will remain as level-headed as they have been in the past.

These kind of "fire exchange" has happened before, but not at this magnitude....as far as I know...

No war please.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Eish! Watching this one for sure, This could get very ugly pretty quick,

According to BBC reporters The South Korea president has called an urgent cabinet meeting..

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
China could be wanting a proxy war to keep US busy as they fight with India over water rights at the Chinese/Indian border.

Just a guess but I do not see NK doing anything without Chinese knowledge as this seems to be one of few NK "friends".

my 2 cents

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
# South Korea president calls urgent cabinet meeting – BBC http://(link tracking not allowed)/dwX8jS less than 10 seconds ago via BreakingNews Headquarters

Uh OH, cabinet meeting are not good at this point. May level heads prevail. Retaliation would surely mean full out war as NK already thinks the South and US are out to get them.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259
This is certainly a distressing story. I think there have been conflicts between NK and SK ships in the past but I don't know if any have been sunk before.

Exactly this is just entrapment.

Why do you guys always just jump with the wests view?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Yonhap also reported a South Korean navy ship firing towards an unidentified vessel to the north.

South Korea's YTN TV network said the government was investigating whether the sinking was due to a torpedo attack.

Relations between North Korea and South Korea and its allies have been tense for decades.

Yonhap news agency said the Seoul government had convened an emergency meeting of security-related ministers.

Yonhap also reported a South Korean navy ship firing towards an unidentified vessel to the north.

source

[mod edit: fixed long link skewing page view]

[edit on 26-3-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is an act of war, South Korea has the right to retaliate. No sane person wants to war to break out but this act calls for swift action. Time for a regime change for North Korea!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Damn,I hope this does not escalate,but if there are many dead,will the south remain calm?
Will the US?

The thing that worries me is lil bastard kim just threatened(again)to fire nukes at the south.
He is also rumoured to be suffering from kidney failure:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Question is,is he on deaths door,and wishing to go out in a nuclear blaze of "glory"...He certainly wouldn't be forgotten about for a long time if it was indeed him who set the world on fire.

I think he wants to be remembered for all time,by all the world.
And in his twisted mind,this could be the way to do just that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join