It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN poll: Majority disapprove of Obama for first time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
And this coming from CNN news, I think the tide has turned and the downward spiral begins.

Washington (CNN) – For the first time, a CNN poll has found that a majority of Americans disapprove of President Obama's job performance.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday, 51 percent of respondents disapprove of Obama's job performance and 46 percent approve of it. politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

PDF report:
i2.cdn.turner.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

He's going to gain a few points, perhaps as many as ten, as a result of this HCR bill. On the bright side, it'll probably be temporary and will mostly come from the Democratic partisans.

If you want to know where his approval rating goes from here, the economy will obviously play a big role, but look at that number on his handling of illegal immigration. I know they're planning on tackling that one soon, but he's already 20 points behind before the debate even begins. If you think the health care debate has been ugly, wait until they start pushing amnesty.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Just a question - how is Obama going to gain points when the majority of America is mad as hell about this bill?

He may have been part of the party that got health care reform done, but in order to get it done they had to lie, deceive and shun the opinions of the American public to do it. How is that going to increase his popularity?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

The bump will come from the fringes of the Democratic party. A lot of them have fallen off the wagon over the last year and have become disillusioned with Obama for various reasons, but a 'victory' on health care will certainly draw some of them back in, if only for a short time.

A similar thing happened after the state of the union address. Major policy speeches and initiatives fire up the base for a short time, but it usually wears off pretty quick.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by vor78]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This poll was right before the bill's passage when the rhetoric from the right was at it's apogee.

As of today...His numbers are up. Plus....

By Slim Margin, Americans Support Healthcare Bill's Passage

FUNNY WHAT THE POLLS SHOW WHEN BIG PHARMA STOPS PAYING FOR THEM...

49% Bill's passage "good"
40% Bills passage "bad"
11% No Opinion
Americans' emotional responses to the bill's passage are more positive than negative -- with 50% enthusiastic or pleased versus 42% angry or disappointed -- and are similar to their general reactions.

www.gallup.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

I wonder if they're genuinely glad the bill passed or just glad the noise is over with.

It's like asking "Are you happy with OJ's verdict?" or "Are you happy this bull is off of the TV?"

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The Precise question was:

As you may know yesterday the US House of Representitives passed a bill that will restructure America's healthcare system. All in all do you think it was a good thing or a bad thing that congress passed this bill?

49% Bill's passage "good"
40% Bills passage "bad"
11% No Opinion

Americans' emotional responses to the bill's passage are more positive than negative -- with 50% enthusiastic or pleased versus 42% angry or disappointed -- and are similar to their general reactions.

Spin that how you will....I expect no less from those that would champion a internet "click" while questioning Gallup.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

That's not a particularly impressive result, given that we knew there would be some bump in the poll numbers from passage. Independents are still split 46-45 and even your source admits that Democrats are the only group showing more enthusiasm than anger and that independents are twice as likely to be angry as enthusiastic. I would not find that encouraging if I supported this bill.

It'll be interesting to see where these numbers go over the next couple of months as the hoopla associated with the bill's passage subsides.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by vor78]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
You have to take into account how split American politics are.

If it's nearly 50/50 Rep/Dem, it only takes a couple percent to make it look like a majority approve or disapprove.

In Canada since our votes are usually split 3-5 ways, the majority of Canadians will almost always disapprove with the sitting government unless there's a big swing in one direction, but it's almost always like 20/20/30/30, so a 35-40% approval is considered normal.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Yes...I went to work Monday after the bill passed...Everyone was insanely angry...NOT.

They just hope it works. Many of the peeps I work with also like being able to keep their kids on their insurance till up to age 26....and no longer being denied of pre-existing conditions...and no longer can be dropped for a health condition.

These things all go into effect this year...not 2014 as Fox News has been saying the last year.

Republicans won't be able to overturn this bill...the supreme court may...but then they'll have to tell millions of people that they are no longer insured.

IMO...this bill leads to a single payer/public option in the future.

And btw...Republicans REFUSE to criticize the health insurance industry and Big Pharma for compromising with the Obama administration....instead they only attack Obama and Dems.

Prices need to stabilize. This bill will actually help a lot of people out there.

It wouldn't matter if this was the holy grail of all bills and was the greatest thing ever...

There would still be asses saying the bill would bring hell on earth.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Yeah...when people throw the word majority around in the USA...it's usually 50/49 or 51/49. That's a "slight" majority...although technically a majority.

If the American people were SO ANGRY as people are suggesting on ATS...then it should be 90/10 or 80/20.

All it did was piss of those even more that were already ticked off....nothing more.

We'll see what really happens when some of the reforms go into effect.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Just a question - how is Obama going to gain points when the majority of America is mad as hell about this bill?

He may have been part of the party that got health care reform done, but in order to get it done they had to lie, deceive and shun the opinions of the American public to do it. How is that going to increase his popularity?

The majority of America isn't mad about the bill. Once you move away from the talking heads and some of the more biased media, there is substantially less anger over the bill. People are living their normal lives and not making that big a deal over the bill other than curiosity. Some people even seem to be happy about it passing. Now, I do know people that are upset about it, but they are all Republicans whom didn't vote for Obama in the first place.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

Originally posted by sos37

The majority of America isn't mad about the bill. Once you move away from the talking heads and some of the more biased media, there is substantially less anger over the bill. People are living their normal lives and not making that big a deal over the bill other than curiosity. Some people even seem to be happy about it passing. Now, I do know people that are upset about it, but they are all Republicans whom didn't vote for Obama in the first place.

Well I know my sources...most being moderates and democrats, and I personally voted for Obama based on healthcare and getting out of the war, and this bill isn't what I voted for. And when I talked to them, we all agree Obama is a huge failure, and the bill stinks, literally. It's obviously handwritten to perfection to still benefit the health insurance company monster.

What a sad day in America. I am poor as hell, can't afford to have this cyst in my foot looked at, and this bill is nothing but a bandaid over a broken leg.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
remember when we were all in school 49% was failing.............

social security broke,medicare broke...
for the first time in 30 years social security recipients will not be getting the cost of living raise.

and wooooohooooooooo the liberals add anotheR entitlement..... really pat yourselves on the back for a job well done.

i never ran home enthusiastically about getting a 49% on a test... but thats just me

WHAT PART OF NOT HAVING THE MONEY DO LIBERALS NOT GET?

[edit on 26-3-2010 by neo96]

new topics

top topics

join