It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother keeps McDonald's Happy Meal for a whole year... and it STILL hasn't gone bad!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I think it might be a hoax too but the discussions brought up with the thread have been more interesting.

It's funny how people complain. From fast food to hospitals. Lately I've heard a person compain about the local hospital, and another complain about the local college. Well these places are providing you amazing service and opportunity that you may have to elsewhere travel far to receive. If the service is so bad, go somewhere else, travel, PAY more for said services.

But people feel entitled, and complain about things they take for granted. Why? How? I'll never understand such. Unless you have built the hospital or college yourself, HOW can you complain? It's beyond nonsense to expect fixtures in place before you were even born to operate to you whims.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Except when you live in a poor neighborhood with no grocery stores and all fast food restaurants. They deliberate target poorer neighborhoods, and most are not affluent enough for grocery stores.

ummm I have been to the worst parts of MANY cities and see PLENTY of grocery stores...maybe not the BIG chains but there are a ton of other options...so this is simply false.

I think from your perspective you are right. But they do target poor neighborhoods, even if they did have grocery stores people in those places are too poor and uninformed to afford or buy groceries. plus these corporations do target ethnic groups, especially the black demographic that eat their food. and don't forget the recession and fast food, especially with people working and having no time.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by togetherwestand]

[edit on 19-3-2010 by togetherwestand]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
I think it might be a hoax too but the discussions brought up with the thread have been more interesting.

It's funny how people complain. From fast food to hospitals. Lately I've heard a person compain about the local hospital, and another complain about the local college. Well these places are providing you amazing service and opportunity that you may have to elsewhere travel far to receive. If the service is so bad, go somewhere else, travel, PAY more for said services.

But people feel entitled, and complain about things they take for granted. Why? How? I'll never understand such. Unless you have built the hospital or college yourself, HOW can you complain? It's beyond nonsense to expect fixtures in place before you were even born to operate to you whims.

it's funny to you how people complain? it amuses you that people complain about how they want something better because they know there is better out there? and it is their basic human right to be given the best like every other person on this planet who has access to it, but insteads provides us with this dog shjt food in poor districts and can do so little about it? that is funny to you? and the hospitals? the totally insane treatments, hoops we have to jump through, outdated procedures that give you only a temporary fix to a problem which is specifically designed to cause other problems, make you need prescription drugs that degrade your overall health, instead of going directly to the source of the problem and truly rectifying it hippocratically? cures make no money, a healthy and intelligent population can't be taken advantage of.

there isn't a food shortage. there is NO point in a handful of companies supplying all the livestock and meat in this country and treating it with an acid bath of chemicals that help nothing and do not prevent any bacterial growth.

bigfatfurrytexa, i call BS on your claims that mcdonalds sells real beef. it neither looks, smells, or tastes like beef (from what i can remember) and that time i was talking about, where i last at there when i was drunk, i remember all these gross little tough red... threads of junk inside the burger, as i examined it the next morning (saved one for later). mmmm, sweet amonia treated worm meat that will survive nuclear winter and provides me zero nutritional value.

no, no, no, no, no, no, no. BS. mcdonalds isn't food. our hosptials don't care about our health, we should all be complaining and it is most definitely NOT FUNNY.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Unless she kept it in a fridge, this is BS to the MAX!!!! I know people who kept one for two weeks, chicken nuggets happy meal and it did degrade and get moldy and smelled foul, I know they were dirty people, but see there was something to learn from them!!!

[edit on 19-3-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
dunno wtf happened...SOB!

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I agree that most of the discussion surrounding fast food is nonscience. On the other hand, it is pretty clear that food companies have by trial and error or based on human physiology designed their food to exploit our biology and enhance the addictive qualities. Many of the 'spices' and flavor enhancers are directly involved in the physiology of digestion and appetite.

For instance the stomach and the pancreas respond to the presence of aminoacids by increasing their secretions and activity. That's why KFC uses so many amino acid salts in their chicken batter. For instance monosodium glutamate is an amino acid salt, but any amino acid salt will have similar effect (eg disodium inositate). These additives overstimulate normal physiological processes and lead to the development of a physical addiction. After a while, other foods just won't "satisfy".

Food companies didn't invent this strategy. They just extended it from other industries- softdrinks/pharmaceuticles. Caffeine added to soft drinks is addictive. Also, high fructose corn syrup (hfcs) is widely used now in place of sucrose in most soft drinks. Most people believe HFCS is used because it is cheaper, but it is also a mixture of simple sugars instead of being a disaccharride. This means HFCS can be directly absorbed with no delay and provides a much greater stimulus to the body processes that control blood glucose levels- leading once again to a physical addiction.

All part of the plan to convert the normal needs of the human beings into $$. Considering these 'foods' and 'drinks' are designed to manipulate physiological controls I wonder why they aren't targets of MORE litigation or being regulated as drugs.

jorges

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

No no, that's hilarious. How hard is it to buy a loaf of bread, some cheese and some meat and make your own sandwich. Instead people drive up to a fast food place and complain about the silliest things. And those that go through the drive-through with 6 orders and hold everyone else up? Pure comedy.

Hospital complaints are even worse, I've heard people say the hospitals are trying to kill you, meanwhile they use the same hospital. If you truly believe the hospital is trying to kill you then why go there?

And then the schools, ridiculous. If that school giving you a degree is so bad go somewhere else, but you won't. You will go there because it's convenient, and because it's convenient you will put up with anything it requires of you. Again, good comedy.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

No no, that's hilarious. How hard is it to buy a loaf of bread, some cheese and some meat and make your own sandwich. Instead people drive up to a fast food place and complain about the silliest things. And those that go through the drive-through with 6 orders and hold everyone else up? Pure comedy.

Hospital complaints are even worse, I've heard people say the hospitals are trying to kill you, meanwhile they use the same hospital. If you truly believe the hospital is trying to kill you then why go there?

And then the schools, ridiculous. If that school giving you a degree is so bad go somewhere else, but you won't. You will go there because it's convenient, and because it's convenient you will put up with anything it requires of you. Again, good comedy.

you are so shortsighted.
almost all bread contains HFCS, white flour, and processed sugar. enjoy your diabetes and weak bones.
almost all dairy products have BGH in them which completely mutates and screws up our hormones and endocrine system. not only that, but dairy makes no sense to consume as an adult. adult animals don't need their mother's milk.
our choices of meat are just as bad. pill fed livestock, bred to grow at a sickening rate, sicko hormonal problems we ingest, ammonia and chemical treated meal, you sound like you have no idea what you are talking about.

the choices are almost impossible to differentiate, everything is packed full of this junk we can buy, there is a huge turnaround in class bread. organic, natural food is expensive, and horribly treated, chemicalized and specialzed food is dirt cheap and almost impossible to avoid if you are a low welfare family. you have no idea what it's like, i'm not just on a soapbox, my family has lived through it, my dad beat cancer and still has to eat aldi's dogfood.

and do you really think someone has the choice to drive to a different hospital if they need to? or if they have the means to go to a different community college? that they have the transportation or income to be able to deal with the student loans?

there's nothing funny about the state of things at all, people don't have choices anymore. they are too poor, they have to settle, they can't just pack up and move away to a college town, or shop at the organic health food mart.

you have no idea what you are talking about or where you are coming from, you're just laughing at others misfortune, most of whom couldn't even tell you any of the things they are eating int he ingredients list on the nutrition facts label. you're scum to me to laugh at people who have to endure it.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

When someone does something nice for me, I understand and I thank them. I did not expect for some scientist to improve my quality of life. That is where you and I differ. I appreciate it when a scientist makes my life more easy, you seem to look at scientific advancement as a God-given right. And true to form, that is totally laughable.

The human body is amazing and it can deal with most toxins if you simply don't overload it. You can spend all your time educating yourself on the science of diet, and I'll just slow down when I start to feel sluggish. Same end result, I live off of basic grocery story stuff, nothing organic, and I never get sick. I'd bet my overall health is bounds above yours. But keep up your fear mongering, and keep pretending you have everyones answers to their health problems as you complicate it more and more.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

When someone does something nice for me, I understand and I thank them. I did not expect for some scientist to improve my quality of life. That is where you and I differ. I appreciate it when a scientist makes my life more easy, you seem to look at scientific advancement as a God-given right. And true to form, that is totally laughable.

The human body is amazing and it can deal with most toxins if you simply don't overload it. You can spend all your time educating yourself on the science of diet, and I'll just slow down when I start to feel sluggish. Same end result, I live off of basic grocery story stuff, nothing organic, and I never get sick. I'd bet my overall health is bounds above yours. But keep up your fear mongering, and keep pretending you have everyones answers to their health problems as you complicate it more and more.

there is absolutely no need to treat all of our livestock and plants with chemicals or genetically modified specifications, we have no idea what were doing. we absolutely do NOT need these improvements, we have an over-abundance of food on this planet, it is just capitalized and funneled out by just a few huge corporations, nationally, and internationally.
just because a scientist creates a way to grow a chicken twice the size of an adult size chicken in a few weeks doesn't mean it's healthy, or that we should eat it. it's not a boon to society or technology.

lol, if you don't overload it. this society is envenomed, and completely overloaded with toxins. i really feel you have zero perspective or input on this subject or you would just stay out of it. just because you don't happen to be sick doesn't mean anything. you most definitely wouldn't laugh at it if you've ever had to deal with it, or settle with eating food just because it has the lowest numbers on the pricetag.

bounds healthier than me? again, you have no clue where you're coming from. unless you're a nutritionist and personal trainer, i doubt it.

this is absolutely not fear mongering, it's reality and millions of people's day to day lives. i'm not complicating anything by simplifying it.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
WOW....although this doesnt surprise me. I read a week or so ago what was really in their nuggets and it grossed me out!

I remember when I was little and they would have burgers for a quarter, my mom would buy about 10 dollars worth of them and freeze them. We didnt have much money so this was a treat when they did this because we always had McDonalds in the freezer. McDs was a treat when I was little unlike kids today who get it weekly! She would get just the plain ones or the cheeseburgers and we would add the toppings on when we cooked them. They were pretty good back then
Now I dont think I would eat them...esp after knowing what is in them.

It is a little disturbing that these burgers are still well preserved but again this doesnt surprise me. I found a fry under my seat and god knows how long it was there and it wasnt even green! People tell me smoking will kill me but I think the food out there will kill me quicker!

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

If I could applaud you and star you over and over I would!! You are absolutely correct! People act like it's the restaurant chains fault when it's their own fault, nobody is forced to eat anything they eat. I have a friend who is over weight and complains all the time yet she STILL eats McDonalds every other day BUT she thinks a Diet Coke is better even though she gets two burgers. People are always looking to put the blame on someone else besides themselves.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
A whole year? pshaw. Thats nothing.

This following lady kept her McDonalds food for FOUR years....and carreis it with her everywhere in a lunchbox. She compares the McD food with regular home made burger and fries.

I watched this video a couple of weeks ago with my kid and thought about posting it.

But instead, I went to McDonalds and bought a cheeseburger and frieds of my own to save for a year.

The burger was eaten later that night.

But the fries were not.

And I forgot about them.

Until yesterday, and they did not look fresh and good anymore, in fact they looked old. But they retained their pretty golden color, with a sight darkening. My fries looked a lot worse than hers in the video.

Didnt McDonalds recently switch fry oil type?

Enjoy.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by sjorges2002

I definitely agree that food companies push foods that invoke physiological responses (i.e., addictiveness). I am sure that it was not on accident. "Secret ingredients" are part and parcel to food sales.

I believe that you cannot control it, either. There is just no way to police chemicals/spices/additives/whatever you want to call it to the point that you find a path to success. It just isn't possible. The human body is a biochemical communications machine.

More than that, since i am from the USA, i would claim it to be unAmerican. I am a big proponent of "Let the buyer beware.". Notify the public of what is happening, and allow them to decide what is best individually. I think that, like smoking, there should be heavy emphasis in public schools on not only what healthy choices to make, but why. But we could go on for days about how our schools miss the boat, in many ways.

But at the bottom of the whole conversation is the simple fact that the junk food is good. You could tell me that they put rat in the Big Mac. As long as it keeps tasting sinfully good when combined with a mouthful of fries and a gulp of Coca Cola, i will keep buying them.

BTW, i have mentioned this several times, but it is worthy of mentioning here: Think about the last time you ate something that was freshly removed from the tree/plant/vine. When was that? Most people, when you say "fresh fruit", they think about produce. But when was the last time you actually picked it yourself, and tasted it while standing in the field? Or ate meat from an animal that had died that day?

We, as humans, have strayed so far from who we are. We are barely recognizable as humans anymore, behaviorally.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by rcwj1975

Except when you live in a poor neighborhood with no grocery stores and all fast food restaurants. They deliberate target poorer neighborhoods, and most are not affluent enough for grocery stores.

Easy to judge from an armchair.

I agree, it's not so simple as "nobody forces you to eat at McDonalds." That's spoiled brat talk. When you only have a buck in your pocket a McD's double cheeseburger fills your belly and stops the hunger pains. But fine, lets say that's not the point, it's about "fast" verses "slow" make-it-yourself food. Compare a bug sprayed bag of Mexican salad at Walmart to a bag of organic salad at some fancy grocery store. You get twice as much for half the price at Walmart. Eating healthy is for rich people. It's somewhat ironic that rich people don't when poor people can't. I guess that just proves that you can be rich and stupid.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
so much misinfo out there. We know some of the suppliers of McD's beef (they live on the prairies). It's good quality, the same stuff you'd get frozen at your supermarket if not better.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I don't see a problem with McDonalds in moderation. I worked there as a manager for 5 years. I eat there quite often. (not always the deep-fried stuff.)
Having seen the inner workings of fast food chains, McDonalds has rigorous standards for food safety compared to others. There are frequent full inspections as well, beyond what is required.
If choosing to eat at a fast food place, McDonalds is always my choice, just having known the inner workings of the company and their standards.

Gee I should be getting paid for this! HAHA

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crito
I agree, it's not so simple as "nobody forces you to eat at McDonalds." That's spoiled brat talk. When you only have a buck in your pocket a McD's double cheeseburger fills your belly and stops the hunger pains. But fine, lets say that's not the point, it's about "fast" verses "slow" make-it-yourself food. Compare a bug sprayed bag of Mexican salad at Walmart to a bag of organic salad at some fancy grocery store. You get twice as much for half the price at Walmart. Eating healthy is for rich people. It's somewhat ironic that rich people don't when poor people can't. I guess that just proves that you can be rich and stupid.

I have been eating somewhat healthy for 34 years and I have NEVER been rich...so that argument is BS. You don't have to eat Kashi or "natural" to be healthy. Hell last week I bought 2 cases or ramen noodles (48 packs) for $6..that WOULD feed me for 24 days at 2 a day if I was that down and out...and they are WAY more healthy than fat food...granted alittle high in sodium, but so what.

Again, acting like there are NO other options out there is the sign of lazy people who don't want to have to go through alittle bit to get something. They want instant gratification, and when they can't have that, then they get pissed...and if that instant reward YOU CHOOSE to eat makes you fat and unhealthy then it HAS to be their fault....

Damn how nice it would be to see some personal responsibility in this country....haven't seen it in a LONG time...of course that explains alot in todays society.

link   
Hey, hold on here, ha. Who's to say that all those preservatives aren't good for us?

I can tell you this much, I use to eat that crap all the time, years ago when I was in my 20s and 30s, and now I'm in my 50s and eating better, but here's what I would like to know: Why do I, almost 53 years old now, look and feel 20 years younger than my grandfather was at that age?

I have photos of us at the same age and he LOOKS like an old man, and if my memory serves me correct, he moved and acted like an old man as he went into his 50s too. I am still pretty athletic, I still inline skate (rollerblade), ice skate and ski too, but there is no way I could have pictured my grandfather when he was my age EVER doing THAT. He was afraid to even walk on ice when he got that old too, ha.

People do look and act (physically and mentally) as if they are a lot younger today than just 50 years ago. And I remember reading reports that all those preservatives are affecting us even after we're dead and buried (it's taking US longer to decompose too). So, hey, maybe all those preservatives are helping to keep us younger? Maybe we should eat more of that stuff.
And hey, sprinkle some stem cells on my fries, please.
I mean, why would McDonalds want to kill off their customers? Seems to me they would be wanting to put stuff in their foods to keep us hanging around for a long longer. I stopped at a McDonalds last week to get a cup of coffee and a couple hash browns for a late morning snack while on the road and the place was packed with old people. Now I wish I had taken a picture of that, ha.

link   
Should we ever invent the means to travel interstellar distances there will be no need to grow food onboard, they can simply stock up on mcdonalds.

I can see the Golden Arches embazoned on the mothership.
"Starship McEnterprise!" And Ronald's happy face!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join