Mother keeps McDonald's Happy Meal for a whole year... and it STILL hasn't gone bad!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Its hard to say, but to add onto what your saying it has a lot to do with the way people are these days. My great grandparents (both sets) were farmers and all lived into their 90's...my one set of grandparents were into their late 80's, and my other set is still going strong...and ALL OF THEM eat bacon, eggs, milk, beef, sausage, used LARD to FRY their food in, etc....so is it the food...or is it the new found LIFESTYLE of sitting around all day and night on a PC, infront of a TV, or game console, that is making things worse.

I mean if you ever seen bacon, sausuge and eggs friend with lard, you would think death looms for you that night...but again MILLIONS did it for a long time and lived a long time...sooooo, who really knows, but IMO, if you get off your a@@ you can eat anything you want anytime you want...aside from true medical conditions that would effect such things.

[edit on 3/20/2010 by rcwj1975]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I have not eaten a McDonald's or any other takeout hamburger since I saw the movie 'Fast food nation', for me though that decision was made based on the plight of the animals, not the quality of the meat. I do still occaisionally eat beef, but I only purchase locally raised meat. Not mass produced.

The movie 'Temple Grandin', which IMO is a wonderful movie, has a lot to offer this discussion, she transformed at least 40% of the production in the US to use more compassionate methods in raising and slaughtering the beef supply, she fully understood that beef is a needed resource, but disagreed with the way the cattle was treated from farm to factory, and redisigned the way it was done. But, 60% of the cattle industry decided that it was too expensive to re-outfit the farms and plants to meet this new humane way to produce beef productts, so, 60% of the beef produced here is done by inhumane methods. That is why I opt out of that.

My husband however eats Mcdonalds as often as he can. It is like he is hooked on it.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
reply to post by Divinorumus

and ALL OF THEM eat bacon, eggs, milk, beef, sausage, used LARD to FRY their food in, etc....so is it the food...or is it the new found LIFESTYLE of sitting around all day and night on a PC, infront of a TV, or game console, that is making things worse.

[edit on 3/20/2010 by rcwj1975]

Indeed, my grandparents used to eat pork fat sammiches (which is pretty much what the name suggests it is lol), salt pork, biiiig on the bacon and eggs untill they passed away in their 80's. And neither of them ever had any health problems nor were they on any meds. The only correlation I can find is what u posted, the increasingly sedintary lifestyle people are living these days.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
most of it is too dry to alread produce decay, the salt inside the food also stops the bacteria,,...

i know someone who works at the big m

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
The ingredients list courtesy of McDonald's direct :

French Fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.
CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK *(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

nutrition.mcdonalds.com...

Can anyone who's in with manfacturing can possibly explain what each item is that would be excellent? Thank you in advance. I heard a story that they use cardboard in the ingredients. Personally speaking I'd avoid any food that outlasts a television season and refuses to either spoil or go bad like if it were the black plague.

[edit on 20-3-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
imagine eating that i dont think you would be very well

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The problem isn't fried foods or ground beef. The problem with mcdonalds, fast food and most stuff you buy in the basic grocery store is that everything is filled with chemicals that very negatively effect your body. If the food lacked these chemicals it wouldn't be all that unhealthy to eat.

Mcdonalds also turned a food that used to be good in moderation into poison by changing there frying oil from tallow to vegetable oil

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well I think that has turned me off on eating Mcdonalds for awhile.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It is all about profits and shelf life. They are also selling people on the convenience of purchasing from Americans home away from home, their car.

I am almost certain that there is an addictive quality to their food as well.
Looking at the popularity of it, as well as the terrible aftertaste, that I experience with it.
There would almost have to be.

McDonalds has essentially used research in their chemistry labs to flavour enhance and extend the life of their products.
All of these fast food companies do it for one reason, which is profits.

McDonalds might source it's beef from known good sources as a poster noted here but it is the processing where they are add all of the artificial ingredients such as preservatives and flavor enhancers etc that make the food unhealthy.
Yes, it might be 100 % beef, but what else ?

What do you think happens to those chemicals ?
They are not digested because the enzymes used to absorb nutrients in the body don't recognize them as food.
So they end up accumulating in your organs.

McDonalds and all of these for profit corporations are merely looking at sales and profits, plain and simple.

And thats the bottom line ...

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Okay, the meal shown is not the most healthy one we could eat, but why get so paranoid about it? Fried potatoes are simply that. Placed in an indoor, low humidity environment with little or no exposure to bacteria, then you wouldn't expect too much decomposition. The food has obviously dehydrated, which would help to prevent any bacterial growth.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Let's look at the positive side of this -

It's Friday night you're very drunk you're gf has passed out and you're absolutely starving and the house is mother Hubbard what do you do ?

There is always the best of a good Mac meal underneath the car seats or down the side panels. Tomorrow you are going to throw up and die anyway so just as well scrape off the bits of grit and get stuck in as it looks just as good as if you just came from the drive through mmmmmm.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Ive always had the theory that preservatives are the cause of obesity. I think our bodies do have trouble digesting them, but don't have trouble storing them forever as fat. So they are "persevered" as fat that hardly ever goes away.

[edit on 20-3-2010 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

Well, I wouldn't call it a lethal dose of preservatives, but it is a high dosage to be sure. I always tell my wife that when I die she will have to beat my organs to death, from all of the preservatives I have eaten over the years. As for the OP, I would say the Rocky Mountain dry air had a lot to do with the longevity of the meal. Try that same thing in Louisiana and see what happens.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brittany
Having seen the inner workings of fast food chains, McDonalds has rigorous standards for food safety compared to others. There are frequent full inspections as well, beyond what is required.

You miss, must have worked at a VERY fancy, high-end, McDonald's

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I somehow don't believe this. I have been to many Mcdonalds where I had to sit outside and there is no way in hell that flies ignored my food. That part of the story makes me believe there something bogus in the story, at least that part of it.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I'm sorry, but this story is completely bogus, not stating anything in regards to the original poster, but to the news source, because I've worked for McDonalds.

And I was in each and every position within their employment too.

This lady had to have kept it in the cool envionment of refrigeration (sealed too), because, in one of the many positions I worked, one was Maintenance, where we had to pull the fryers out and clean behind them, and you want a nasty job, there is one nasty job, and the fries rot if they are not picked up and thrown away immediately, so this story is horse puckey.

While there may be preservatives within the food, I am certain it is so that it will not spoil while in route from manufacturer, to the franchise or corporate stores.

Sorry, I've seen rotten food, two days, when sloppy McDonalds employees did not clean thoroughly, and as well a week when people were downright stupid.

This story, the article, not the original poster, are full of crap.

[edit on 20-3-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
i remember this on super size me, sorry. maybe post a video of her eating the happy meal?

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
you are what you eat

second line

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
okay, so this thread spurred me to go get a McDonalds breakfast.

McD is hardly the only food with preservatives or high sodium content. Just read the box of any packaged snack or frozen food at the supermarket.
Lots of non-fast food restaurants serve similar deep-fried-from-frozen french frie and chicken. And I personally order McD fries with no salt anyways.
Some extremely health-conscious people swear off ALL non-natural foods. I do not fault them for that.
However, I'm a 'happy medium' type person. I exercise regularly, lead an active life, eat from a variety of food groups, and sometimes that includes a frozen pizza or (gasp) fast food.
Anything is harmful when taken to an extreme. I think if we keep our bodies in good condition, I see no reason to obsess over small amounts of less-than-healthy healthy choices.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Good point, spartan!
I remember pulling out the friers so the crew could get the hard to reach places cleaned, and if there was a fry under there a few days old, it was definitely more rotten than those ones look.

This story definitely smells funny. If she's telling the truth, it must have been sealed in the fridge or something.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join