It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHOCKING: Canada isn't a continent anymore

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

It's connected....it's always been connected.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I won't insult you for having a bad memory or just plain not knowing where a country is on the map. I'd have a lot of trouble finding Afghanistan or Pakistan. Unless they end up in Antartica or right near Canada, I wouldn't know if they moved.

As for Canadians being just like Americans:

It's so true that we Canadians are just like Americans; when there are differences, we struggle to eliminate them!

In fact, a while ago we tried putting some of our people into ghettos to keep them high all the time so we wouldn't need to deal with them. Didn't work, we used American instruction manuals and nobody here could figure out what they meant by a "'n-word'", so we couldn't find any. Still don't get why black people were laughing their heads off...

They also tried distributing guns to everybody so we could have several murders a day. Unfortunately, it didn't work; people used their guns to go hunting. When they came back home, they put them away in safe places and forgot about them until the next hunting season. Unfortunately, a place like Montreal (3 million population) is stuck with having to cope with only 25 murders per year.

We tried segragating our hospitals; poor man's hospital, rich man's hospital. As you are required to show your free health card when you go in, nobody could figure out who were the rich and who were the poor.

We were extremely interested by ambulance chasing lawyers and frivolous law suits. Unfortunately, our judges (civil servants) didn't want the extra work. It was passed into law that nobody can become rich thanks to a lawsuit.

In the end, we figured out we might as well just congregate to Tim Horton's and review our accomplishments because we just can't live up to the US. We came up with these:

-The Guess Who
-Stephen Wolf
-Celine Dion
-Cirque du Soleil
-Avro engineers (after the CF-105 was cancelled, they were picked up by NASA and are responsible for putting Americans on the moon)
-Brian Adams
-Michael Bubble
-Bombardier

The list is much longer, but you get the point. Anyway, I feel like a lot of people will be adding to it...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Canada was never a continent and neither is it a country. It's roughly 2/3rd's of the North American continent and it is a COLONY of the UK, as is Australia, New Zealand and a few others. That's what happens when you have a prime minister (which means second in command) and a governor general (a monarch's viceroy that acts as head of state).

Personally, I would be more concerned with Canada being a colony, rather that some sideways time line delusion that it's a continent on its own.

Stop doing the mescaline and get back on the thorazine ;-)

Cheers - Dave

link   
reply to post by nightrun

Are you guys from GLP or what?

link   
I guess the American education system is not the only one in shambles, now is it?

That's the only wise crack I could muster because I am speechless after reading this...I want that 5 minutes of my life back please.

Semper Fidelis

-Nate

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Another thread involving New Zealand and an alternate reality must have me invoke this culturally relevant piece of footage:

So let's see - Did you watch Ace Ventura, Wayne's World, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves in your alternate reality OP?

-m0r

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketgirl
reply to post by intelgurl

>snip<
If Canada was an island then how did the students from my school get there on a bus?
>snip

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
I guess the American education system is not the only one in shambles, now is it?

That's the only wise crack I could muster because I am speechless after reading this...I want that 5 minutes of my life back please.

Semper Fidelis

-Nate

Me too!

But I want to torture the OP!
Here's how I do it.
OP open Google Earth (install it first) give the globe a few spins then zoom in close until the Globe just fills your screen where Canada is on the map, then spin it a bit more to your right to find Alaska, then draw a straight line from there to Norway, its easy, from there look at northern Sweden and notice the Russian borders. Now follow the shores to you right until you reach Kamchatka peninsula.
Ooops! You are near Japan now!

Mind boggling huh?

[edit on 10-3-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Whatever, Canada is not an island. I don't know how you people come up with such things.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm so confused... is someone cleverly speaking in the metaphorical? Or was there actually someone somewhere in this thread that thought Canada was an island? I can't tell if this is over my head or so far beneath it my mind can't comprehend...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketgirl

"Whatever" is exactly correct.

However, I didn't realize I was one of "you people", as you put it. I've never experienced one of these 'time line slips' or anything like that. I look at a map now, it it mostly looks like the map from elementary school, save for maybe a border shifting one way or the other as countries squabble, etc.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Seriously...
Why in the world would you post something like this on the internet? All it does is shows your ignorance to everyone. I am not trying to be a giant weiner head here, but c'mon.

Show some restraint and just realize you have not been paying attention to a damn thing for the past.........(insert your age here) years.

This reminds me of all these dumb social networking sites where people "wear their hearts on their sleeves" so to speak, for all the world to see. It just angers me to no end, but I digress as I am ranting off topic now.

Semper Fidelis

-Nate

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Canada became our own country in 1867, long before your grandfather was born. We have a Prime Minister and our own currency, our own laws, military etc. we are NOT a colony of the UK. We do have a picture of Queen Elisabeth II on our coins and our 20 dollar bills, but this is out of respect and tradition.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nightrun

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm still shaking my head as I write this. Frankly, I can't believe what I've just read and yet, I know it's painfully true. I can't help but feel that's it's indicative of a general 'stupification' or a 'dumbing down of the masses' globally. In the 1980's , former Senior Policy Advisor in the U.S. Department of Education, Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt wrote The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America and opened a controversy that has continued ever since.

In 1997 there were 46.4 million public school students. During 1993-1994 (the latest years the statistics were available) the average per pupil expenditure was $6,330.00 in 1996 constant dollars. Multiply the number of students by the per pupil expenditure (using old-fashioned mathematical procedures) for a total K-12 budget per year of $293.7 billion dollars. If one adds the cost of higher education to this figure, one arrives at a total budget per year of over half a trillion dollars. The sorry result of such an incredibly large expenditure-the performance of American students-is discussed on page 12 of Pursuing Excellence-A Study of U.S. Twelfth Grade Mathematics and Science Achievement in International Context: Initial Findings from the Third International Mathematics and Science Study [TIMMS], a report from the U.S. Department of Education (NCES 98-049). Pursuing Excellence reads:

Achievement of Students, Key Points: U. S. twelfth graders scored below the international average and among the lowest of the 21 TIMSS nations in both mathematics and science general knowledge in the final year of secondary school.  source

In spite of the tremendous resources that were being placed into the U.S. education system, new “alternative” curriculums, it has been contended, negated the investment. Interestingly enough, That this is a deliberate and globally concerted effort is becoming more and more clear as similar sorts of news items can be found reporting an overall decrease in numbers or, perhaps, overall standards of education.

Sats results: School reading standards drop
Standards of reading among teenagers dipped this year, despite millions being spent to get pupils more interested in books.

source

Clearly, this is subjective. And certainly this wouldn't be indicative of any global trend.... I haven't investigated this fully; there would be many factors to quantify. I'm simply noting that for two 'wealthy', 'advanced' nations, the U.S. and the U.K. have certainly deviated considerably from the educational standards, goals and norms of previous decades with little to show for the considerable investment in tax dollars and resources. I'm guessing that New Zealand squandered a few bucks themselves.

Nevertheless, I digress...... only to express that one doesn't need to limit their education within the four walls of a school. I'm just pleased that nightrun was finally able to 'lift that veil' of ignorance and to come to recognize the world upon which he happens to dwell a bit better. Canada is a big place to overlook or to mistake as an island extra DIV

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Just what exactly was the point in posting this?

Seriously.....

It seems everytime somebody discovers their lack of geographical knowledge they want to post about it.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Wow I am speechless because I feel like you never had the proper geography class....I do NOT get all these threads popping up where people dont remember this continent being here or there or this country being here or there....Do people not look at atlases anymore? I use to have a globe in my house and I looked at it all the time.....I sure hope kids in school today are getting a better geography lesson than some people who have posted on this site.....How do you NOT know China and Russia are next to each other?! How did you NOT notice that Canada is frickin huge?!

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mars007
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Canada became our own country in 1867, long before your grandfather was born. We have a Prime Minister and our own currency, our own laws, military etc. we are NOT a colony of the UK. We do have a picture of Queen Elisabeth II on our coins and our 20 dollar bills, but this is out of respect and tradition.

What planet have you been living on? The 1947 Letters Patent assigned the governor general as the kings (now queens) viceroy. The prime minister is second in command. You might want to do some research!

What happens when you get a ticket or charged with a crime, who is the plaintiff? Regina! The queen. Who do you owe money to if your default on your taxes? The queen! If you have a problem with the government, who do you have to ask for assistance? The queen.

I can't believe sometimes how misinformed canadians actually are (except me and a few others maybe). My countrymen are ready for the sheers, let the sheople games begin!

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join