It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHOCKING: Canada isn't a continent anymore

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Yeah this may seem like a mock up to that NZ and AUS topic, but it isn't!

For 23 years I actually thought Canada was had it's own island / continent just north of Alaska. I remember it being a round island..
It wasn't until I looked at USA recently on google maps that I saw it was divided with Canada. Perhaps I got mixed up with that island to the left of Alaska. It's completely new to me that USA is shared land and Canada appears somewhat bigger.

Only just noticed china right alongside Russia. It's interesting, you can drive from China to Russia?? Seems I've only just opened my eyes to countries outside NZ.

www.mapsofindia.com...
kyleabaker.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Im speechless right now.I had this exact conversation last week with my birth mother.Put it down to me being crazy or something.Something strange about this.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I'm speechless right now......

really, to think that Canada has gotten bigger.

Canada is HUGE

link   
I don't know if you should have to make a thread about this.....

Can't you just share it with your psychiatrist ??

haha, yep Canada's always been there, It's pretty big too, hard to misplace.

Then again we had some members who thought Australia was out of place too, ... go figure.

link   
reply to post by nightrun

What island to the left (west) of Alaska?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Canada is the second largest country in the world behind Russia, and always has been, since it's formation that is.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Errrrr....

What?

Canada has ALWAYS been on the same continent as the USA.

And you've only just realised you can drive from Russia to China? How old are you?

What next?

The UK is seperated from Europe by a channel of water?

Sweden is cold?

South Africa is at the bottom fo the continent, not the top?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I even have a faint memory of drawing a world map when I was younger and giving Canada it's own continent.
I think I originally saw it at school on one of those world globes when I was about 9.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well...Okay. Canada has always been a part of North America since I have been around and thats not an island west of Alaska...that would be part of the Russian Federation or at least what use to be the Russian Federation.

Since you are from New Zealand maybe you can help clear that up...always been SE of the land down under or not?

[edit on 3/10/2010 by DJMSN]

[edit on 3/10/2010 by DJMSN]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Sure to all you American's Canada has always been there, like they said in the other thread maybe the change is unnoticeable to those effected in the area.. .

Realistically, it just goes to show that we can easily forget, misread and/or mix up countries we don't live in or near.

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
reply to post by nightrun

What island to the left (west) of Alaska?

Oh it looked like an Island on the first map but second map shows it's Russia.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I soooo know Canada had its own Continent.Even asked my freinds who think the same.A time line collapse must be thrown into the ring,it makes sense.

[edit on 10-3-2010 by KANDINSKI]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Canada has ALWAYS been a part of the American Continent. It has never been it's own continent....

You do realize their are only 7 continents right? Not 8?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

At present 7 yes.The past or some kind of time shift must be noted though.Many people I have spoken to have said eight.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightrun
Yeah this may seem like a mock up to that NZ and AUS topic, but it isn't!

For 23 years I actually thought Canada was had it's own island / continent just north of Alaska. I remember it being a round island..
It wasn't until I looked at USA recently on google maps that I saw it was divided with Canada. Perhaps I got mixed up with that island to the left of Alaska. It's completely new to me that USA is shared land and Canada appears somewhat bigger.

Only just noticed china right alongside Russia. It's interesting, you can drive from China to Russia?? Seems I've only just opened my eyes to countries outside NZ.

www.mapsofindia.com...
kyleabaker.com...

See, this is what happens when public schools are allowed to fail so miserably. The only thing shocking here is the lack of education. Really, time to read some books, sheesh!

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
One of the best ways (and certainly most enjoyable) to learn geography is to play strategy/historical simulation war games. RISK, Axis and Allies, and especially the old Avalon Hill Board Games are all excellent sources of tweaking your geographical knowledge.

Canada is a country, not a continent. North America is a continent. Russia and China do share a border and it has been the source of past strife. Please, keep an atlas in the john and when you go to the toilet, study the atlas instead of that wornout issue of Sports Illustrated swimsuits you keep in there.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMSN
Since you are from New Zealand maybe you can help clear that up...always been SE of the land down under or not?

Yes, definitely. Not hard to mess that up because in my mind it was always clear that New Zealand (the shape) hugs Australia.

As for the science side of things, New Zealand is where it is and can only be where it is because it is part of the Earths Fault line. I don't have exact quotes or anything but just look up Earth fault lines, New Zealand fault lines etc.

www.sydneystormcity.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Hello there.

You may want to consider getting a brain scan of some sort if you've got health insurance. It could be just a faulty memory, but that's sort of a big one.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Canada was never a continent.....?

am I missing something here.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Perhaps you mistook Greenland for Canada when you were younger, and figured Canada was a part of the US, as it's sort of bracketed by Alaska. Keep in mind that on a mercator projection Greenland looks huge.

I used to think NZ was northeast of Australia, but now I know I was thinking of Papua New Guinea

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join