It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does science know why electrons vanish out of existence for a second and appear in another place?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
reply to post by seattletruth

If you like Nassims theorys i guess you could say that. It has not been proven though. I dont think it has atleast?

Nassim's theories have as much or MORE proof than this hypothetical "strong and weak force" which nobody can explain.. They can only measure them.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
Yes I have read about this but I don't remember if there were any valid theories on as to why. Perhaps someone who knows can shed some light on this.

If anyone is confused about the OP...
Scientists have observed electrons (obviously through a microscope) disappear. Literally blink out of existence only to reappear somewhere else.

I believe this was covered in the documentary "What the bleep do we know" and concerns quantum mechanics. It is one of those things that bends and warps the mind into moosh! LoL

-Nate

Oh dear here we go again. Let me adress both statements here.

Scientists can't "observe" in any direct way an electron. No one has ever "seen" an electron.

What the Bleep is fiction and pseudo-science. There is nothing scientific about that film.

That being said there are particles that pop in and out of exsistance. They are called virtual particles. We see evidence of this when two metal plates suspended in a vacuum shift positions.

Virtual particles are explained in this paper read it. . . .

www.obscure.org...

Just so we're clear

1. we can't observe an electron
2. what the bleep is pseudoscience
3. virtual particles exsist in quantum theory
4. virtual particles do not violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
5. we can't obsever an electron

Before I'm attacked for not including this photo

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0c322cc94de.jpg[/atsimg]

This only shows an electrons motion not an electron itself. It is impossible to resolve such a small space with current optical technology.

I'm not trying to be mean just trying to inject some science into the science board.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
i rad another thing recently saying they were able to capture an electron moving and it moves like a particle and a wave....but moves at blisteringly high speeds and we havn't been able to capture before...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

In the newest issue of Discover magazine they cover a breakthrough in recording moving images of an electron.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by seattletruth

Originally posted by Maddogkull
reply to post by seattletruth

If you like Nassims theorys i guess you could say that. It has not been proven though. I dont think it has atleast?

Nassim's theories have as much or MORE proof than this hypothetical "strong and weak force" which nobody can explain.. They can only measure them.

Show me one proof of what Nassim says. . . . anything will do and I don't mean one of his slideshows.

While you try to think something up perhaps you should read about Quantum chromodynamics which describes the strong-force. There are also experiments that have been done and are being done that confirm what can be tested with our technology.

Other experiments are being readied even now to extract more exact information. There is a ton of evidence to support our understanding of the strong force and QCD.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

No worries. This is all kind of mind boggling anyway. Like I said, I am no physicist, so I am not really in the know on a subject such as this. Not lending and credence to the documentary in question, just thought it was interesting.

I guess the conclusion I can come to is that the world, universe and our existence is a weird and wonderful place that we have no clue about. We can only theorize and our understanding of it is minuscule at best.

Semper Fidelis

-Nate

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers
Are you talking about an electron being in all places at once? Quantum superposition?

en.wikipedia.org...

Or quantum entanglement, a phenomena where an electron is 'tickled' here and another electron anywhere else, no matter distance, can feel it?

en.wikipedia.org...

We can throw them both together to get Quantum teleportation. It essentially uses quantum entanglement to transmit information.

en.wikipedia.org...

Sorry for Wiki, but since they pay the most, they're top of the list, I can get more in depth sources if you need them.

EMM

Ahh.. all those wonderful new technologies (yet still mostly theoretical) that will make Bog Brother a reality.
Wireless communication from and to anywhere with quantum encryption.

..and to think that many people eagerly anticipate quantum mechanics to become incorporated in to everyday technology..

[edit on 11-3-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Actually I did a bit searching and it feels that your question might be answered (might not, uncertainty, lol) if you focus on Quantum teleportation, then read a bit about the Copenhagen interpretation until you reach the Consequences part where that weird cat hides inside a box with the radioactive substance and becomes either dead or alive (or both) :eek:. Whatever is doing is an Wave Function.

But first you need to know what a space is (mathematical space, not the geometrical one). That space maps the possible states of a (quantum) system. The function we talked earlier repsesents what happens in that space (Still with me?) but rest not yet, because you also need to understand that the possible states of the system from that space that is measured by a function is maped in complex numbers and a complex number is a number that is comprised by a real and by an imaginary number.

I hope this was of some help.

Now, do you still want to know if science knows why electrons vanish out of existence for a second and appear in another place?

[edit on 11-3-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
Yes I have read about this but I don't remember if there were any valid theories on as to why. Perhaps someone who knows can shed some light on this.

If anyone is confused about the OP...
Scientists have observed electrons (obviously through a microscope) disappear. Literally blink out of existence only to reappear somewhere else.

Now what I an confused about is that the field of view in a microscope is only so big...and also how do they know that it was a particular electron that disappeared and reappeared elsewhere. Are they all not similar looking? How would they know if it is the same or a different electron.

I believe this was covered in the documentary "What the bleep do we know" and concerns quantum mechanics. It is one of those things that bends and warps the mind into moosh! LoL

Seriously, I tried to clarify from the OP in case some were confused. I know what he is talking about but it's hard to explain. Perhaps someone with a little more eloquence in physics can bring some more light to this.

Semper Fidelis

-Nate

I think what your talking about is QUANTUM ENTANGLEMENT?...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

I think you left out:

6. Quantum 'anything' is freaky man, freaky
7. The Heisenberg Principle forbids us observing an electron
8. Quantum Physics is weird.
9. We can't observe an electron.
10. Quantum Mechanics is counter-intuitive.
11. We can't observe an electron.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join