It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does science know why electrons vanish out of existence for a second and appear in another place?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Does science know why electrons vanish out of existence for a second and appear in another place? Like are there any theories on were the electron(s) go?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
For instance...? Not sure I've heard that, at least not stated that way.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yes I have read about this but I don't remember if there were any valid theories on as to why. Perhaps someone who knows can shed some light on this.

If anyone is confused about the OP...
Scientists have observed electrons (obviously through a microscope) disappear. Literally blink out of existence only to reappear somewhere else.

Now what I an confused about is that the field of view in a microscope is only so big...and also how do they know that it was a particular electron that disappeared and reappeared elsewhere. Are they all not similar looking? How would they know if it is the same or a different electron.

I believe this was covered in the documentary "What the bleep do we know" and concerns quantum mechanics. It is one of those things that bends and warps the mind into moosh! LoL

Seriously, I tried to clarify from the OP in case some were confused. I know what he is talking about but it's hard to explain. Perhaps someone with a little more eloquence in physics can bring some more light to this.

Semper Fidelis

-Nate

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Yeah thanks for the clarification

Too bad "What the bleep do we know" got really bad reception towards the scientific community, calling it a fantasy story

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Are you talking about an electron being in all places at once? Quantum superposition?

en.wikipedia.org...

Or quantum entanglement, a phenomena where an electron is 'tickled' here and another electron anywhere else, no matter distance, can feel it?

en.wikipedia.org...

We can throw them both together to get Quantum teleportation. It essentially uses quantum entanglement to transmit information.

en.wikipedia.org...

Sorry for Wiki, but since they pay the most, they're top of the list, I can get more in depth sources if you need them.

EMM

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Actually I read a great physics book that explained this using quantum theory.

The electron never disappeared, it always existed in multiple locations. Based on this, they are thinking of how to make teleportation work.

Think of it like this. You put a paper in a fax machine and it appears somewhere else. Did the first one disappear?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I am so confused I can usually grasp concepts easy but this is just confusing. Can someone maybe explain it a little more in depth? I’ll give you a star lmao

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
You can't see an electron in a light microscope, maybe you could spot a probability cloud of one with a SPSTM or something, but it's definitely not real time.

"What the bleep" is trash. It warps your mind, alright. Anything with Deepak Chopra on is a definite skip for me.

OP, are you talking about tunneling? It doesn't go away for a second, the jump is effectively instantaneous AFAIK. Same thing for making quantum transitions.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Virtual Particles DO pop in and out of existence. The universe is indeed a strange and incomprehensible place.

Here are some external quotes and sources:

Virtual particles are indeed real particles. Quantum theory predicts that every particle spends some time as a combination of other particles in all possible ways. These predictions are very well understood and tested.

Quantum mechanics allows, and indeed requires, temporary violations of conservation of energy, so one particle can become a pair of heavier particles (the so-called virtual particles), which quickly rejoin into the original particle as if they had never been there. If that were all that occurred we would still be confident that it was a real effect because it is an intrinsic part of quantum mechanics, which is extremely well tested, and is a complete and tightly woven theory--if any part of it were wrong the whole structure would collapse.

www.scientificamerican.com...

Way back in 1948:

These fascinating variations in the appearance of energy, which sometimes manifests itself as light, sometimes as matter, have stimulated the distinguished French physicist Auger to exclaim enthusiastically, in a monograph on cosmic radiation: "Who has said that there is no poetry in modern, exact and complicated science? Consider only the twin-birth of two quick and lively electrons of both kinds when an overenergetic light quantum brushes too closely against an atom of matter! And think of their death together when, tired out and slow, they meet once again and fuse, sending out into space as their last breath two identical grains of light, which fly off carrying their souls of energy!"
nobelprize.org...

And, in big print:

"Another way of thinking about these things is to imagine that all of space, even empty space, is awash with particles, that nature in her infinite wisdom can provide. This is not a metaphor. One of the implications of quantum theory is that these particles do in fact pop in and out of existence in the void. The particles,. . . are all temporary. They are created and then quickly disappear --- a bazaar of seething activity."

web.rollins.edu...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Yeah What the bleep is not the best, but My opinion is that Staurt Hameroff is a genius. Him and Nassim are probably my favourite scientists. They def have some good opinions. Every sceptic or atheist that tried to debunk Stuarts theory couldn’t. He has a logical argument for every debate he has been in, talking about quantum states in the brain.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thank you for the post, it has helped. But now I am even more confused. Someone just said that they actually don’t pop into existence but actually are at 2 places at once. Now they do actually pop in and out of existence? Confusing.. Lol

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
We really need to establish what your asking about, virtual particles or electrons?

EMM

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I am talking about electrons

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Electrons get sucked through the black hole in the middle of every atom and exit in random places that fit the distribution of the "electron probability cloud".

You did know that there's a mini black hole in every atom right?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Then I'd browse the wiki pages I posted, should give you some more questions.

EMM

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

If you like Nassims theorys i guess you could say that. It has not been proven though. I dont think it has atleast?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Instead of thinking of them disappearing from reality for a moment, think of them as being undetectable by our current equipment's capabilities briefly.
If we detect "nothing there", it doesn't mean there's nothing there.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
I am talking about electrons

If you're talking about them vanishing when making a transition or when tunneling, they're really not nowhere, it's more like they exist elsewhere after than they do before, but they don't really stop existing between.

What's also freaky is that an electron sees 720 degrees in a circle.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The electron is captured by the atom in shells, bands and orbits of
travel that will never be spotted yet they always have mass and
charge and exist and obey the rules of Relativistic Quantum
Mechanics.
Tesla knew Thompson the discoverer of the electron.
Tesla worked on forms of radio transmission for the most part.
Even though being famous for death rays and haarp due to the
high voltage we don't think that he might be able to send an
electron out into the air which he said would shine like a star.

We get things like this on the web:

“There is no such thing as an electron,” said Tesla, That item of
quantum vocabulary "electron" is not to be found anywhere in his writings.
Somebody should print this quotation on tee shirts and conduct a campaign
to stamp out the fashion that requires such excruciating utterances as: "A
Tesla coil is a quantum action device ... if the phase of a split quantum
particle is changed, its conjugate partner instantly knows ..."

www.teslapress.com...
I call where this web talk comes from lala land for Tesla talkers.
Tesla talked of the 'medium' or the ether which he 'pushed' around
with high voltage. The 'pushing' involved a flow of charge carriers.
With HVAC being made to flow in one direction the charge became
greater and greater at which he said any potential may be achieved.

Tesla did talk of the electron as being different the stated norm of bring
indivisible. So Tesla was more advanced saying the electron has
components and I recall the idea of an electron without the hold of the
atom as being outrageously bright. If anyone had millions of volts to
knock out electron into the air that might be Tesla.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Yeah thanks for the clarification

Too bad "What the bleep do we know" got really bad reception towards the scientific community, calling it a fantasy story

Yeah, it was a neat documentary. I was just saying that it was mentioned in there. Not sure if that documentary holds any truths but it was still pretty cool. I am no physicist so I can't say either way.

I knew what you were referring to, or at least I thought I did until I read some replies!

Semper Fidelis

-Nate

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join