It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney Claims That President Obama's Words "Support" 911 Truthers Abroad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
thinkprogress.org

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney’s foreign policy mythology book tour continued on Fox News Sunday this morning. Romney started his interview saying that President Obama had engaged in an “apology tour.” This has been a standard conservative talking point in response to the massive positive shift in global attitudes toward America, as a result of President Obama’s diplomatic outreach.

However, Romney went further asserting that Obama’s words gave “support” to those saying the 9/11 attacks were a fabrication:

ROMNEY: It also adds fuel to the fire of those who are apart of the blame America crowd. I saw even Ahmadinejad is even saying 911 is a fabrication. These sorts of voices should not receive any kind of support from the words of the President of United States.

But I can tell you, that I am glad the the President reversed course in Iraq – he didn’t pull our troops out as he said during the campaign. He likewise supported our surge efforts in Afghanistan, having voted against the surge in Iraq… He has done some things right, but his apology tour was one of the things he did very very badly.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's a veeeerrrrryyyy long stretch to say that President Obama supports 911 Truthers.

(No offense to Truthers. Some of the best threads on ATS are in that forum).

What's refreshing is that one Republican, at least (Mitt Romney), is willing to say what Obama does well in addition to his criticism.

I believe that Obama is doing it correctly. If the U.S. does not show a little humility, at least, we will continue to lose allies and friends around the world. Iraq lost us quite a few.

The president doesn't abase himself or the country; he's just willing to admit we've made some mistakes in the past.

Whether we like it here or not, the U.S.'s image as the bully of the world is very real in many places.

Obama is winning support for us in many of those places.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I've never once in my life met a Mitt Romney supporter. I don't exactly take what he says as worth half a damn, but that's just me =)

As for Obama... I'd like to think that he has some freedom to steer the country in a direction he so-chooses. Giving diplomatic speeches overseas is a good thing, and I'm glad he's doing it. But don't take it as a sign that our future foreign relations will be entirely peaceful.

Obama might not want war, but with each new preemptive war that we start, I become more and more convinced that the Military-industrial complex Eisenhower warned us about is the true totalitarian dictator standing on the back of President Obama. Most people are too busy watching where his feet go, but they forget to look up and notice the strings being manipulated.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
More brilliant musings from the Conservative's brightest and best!

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I got as far as Romney poo-poo-ing on Obama visiting "in Muslim lands" and had to turn it off. I'd rather clean the cat boxes than listen to the rest of what he had to say.

But yeah, it's a pretty big stretch to say that Obama supports the truthers. I WISH he supported the truthers, but sadly, he's supporting the Official Story. Romney's insane to make such a suggestion.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So according to Mitt...admitting mistakes by our government is lending support to the blame America crowd. This sounds like the position most of our institutions are based off of: Admit no Responsibility for our actions. What are we afraid to hide if we can't admit failure. Mitt should know failure is what fuels commerce, since he is a capitalist mutli millionaire. So how in the world can a country succeed if it cannot acknowledge it's own errors.

I love America, but am ashamed, yes ashamed, at the leaders that refuse to speak openly about failure. I support any leader that is willing to state where the failure is and how to correct that failure. According to Mitt, America is without failure.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Honestly, Mitt Romney causes red flags, sirens screeching and the Robot to come out saying "Danger, Danger, Will Robinson!"

I have wondered if it is one of those impenetrable USAmerican things i.e., to find a person like Mitt Romney appealing in some way.

My own discernment is that everything coming out of Romney's mouth is either a lie or such a sharp shaving of the truth that his words bleed.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
According to Mitt, America is without failure.

Not America, Right Wing America...

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Here is something to keep in mind about Mitt Romney. Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism, is said to have made a prophecy that when the Constitution of the United States "hangs by a thread," it will be "saved" by the Mormon Church. Many Mormons associate this with Romney. Also, an interesting side note: the prophecy also speaks of a revolution in America that will leave us without a "supreme government," with the only peace being found in the Rocky Mountains.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
According to Mitt, America is without failure.

Not America, Right Wing America...

Maybe so...

Funny thing is; first to talk a mess about government activities and first to defend the government activities -

"SECEDE!"

"DON'T TREAD ON ME"

"WHAT'D YOU SAY ABOUT THE GOOD OL US OF A BOY???!"

"IF YOU AIN'T LIKE IT LEAVE!"

like connecting one side of a hose to the butt and the other to the grill

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
More brilliant musings from the Conservative's brightest and best!

If he's the best we have, those of us on the conservative side of the fence are screwed. I think Mitt Romney just tells his audience whatever they want to hear. He's a 'conservative' when its convenient to him.

I'm no fan of Obama, but I think I actually have more respect for Obama than Romney. At least he seems to have some principles that he believes in. Romney? Whatever goes, as long as it gets people to vote.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It would be outlandish to claim that Obama supports 9-11 truthers especially when he's continued to denounce anyone who questions the official story of 9-11. He even once said that if you question the official story of 9-11 that you're only helping Al-Qaeda. I fail to see how he supports truthers in any way.

reply to post by vor78

I'm just really interested in why you think Mitt Romney is any different from Barack Obama. I liked him at the time of the election. I thought he was charismatic and I liked the ideas that he stood for. As it turns out though while he's hiding under a progressive cover he's following many of the same policies that Bush did and for the major reasons why I voted for him- like with civil liberties, and Iraq, he's been back tracking on his vows. My economic philosophy now is different from what it was then... but let's face it. He's a politician... just like Mitt Romney. So, of course they'll have to say things.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
You know I do NOT buy into the 9/11 truther movement. HOWEVER i will not deny that good points have been brought up during discussion of the subject matter. To top it off by no means should the truthers be marginalized so maliciously for questioning their governments actions in the 9/11 attacks. It is their right to do so. I highly doubt that truthers support Faoul Adhemihmahdejedhad. I may not like obama either, but his words do not support truthers one bit, in fact he has openly said truthers are not "right". Romney has no clue what he is talking about.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
well Mitt Romney is a Mormon, need i say more?

edit i retract this statement, it was immature

[edit on 3/9/2010 by l neXus l]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

That was a completely unnecessary comment... Mitt Romney's religious views here are irrelevant to the topic at hand.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

i was Mormon, and religious views have everything do to with the way Mormons deal with anything, they think that its ok to push thier views on others, even when the other person doesnt realize it

[edit on 3/9/2010 by l neXus l]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

That's not a problem of Mormism. That's a problem that people of religious faiths or even people who are atheists have and with taking their religious views as dogma.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
That's a problem that people of religious faiths or even people who are atheists have and with taking their religious views as dogma.

What else could they take them as?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Well, I think that religious stories, and, all of these statements made by these people that are quoted in the bible and other religious texts aren't meant to be some strict moral code. I don't think that Jesus intended for his masses of followers to believe that he was God, or for that matter, to take all his beliefs at faith value. Remember what he said? The truth will set you free right?

I think that all Jesus, and, all of these other people who are now called prophets were trying to do was just to help people come to grips with what they saw as a rather immoral world. They weren't trying to force their morals on everyone else when they were preaching their moral values... they were just trying to help, and, I think that Jesus and Mohammud, and, all of these other people would rather people have their own individual beliefs about God, and, have their own beliefs and question society in the same way that they did.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Well, I think that religious stories, and, all of these statements made by these people that are quoted in the bible and other religious texts aren't meant to be some strict moral code. I don't think that Jesus intended for his masses of followers to believe that he was God, or for that matter, to take all his beliefs at faith value. Remember what he said? The truth will set you free right?

Religious texts aren't meant to be some strict moral code? Don't think Jesus meant for his followers to take all his beliefs at "faith" (or "face") value? Wow, we have a chasm there that I don't think can be spanned.

You, of course, are entitled to your beliefs.

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

~KJV

Read it in context sometime, see what he meant. And I think you misunderstand dogma.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join